Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Last Chance posted:

The writers are probably still a couple of years away from figuring this one out

It'll be the origin story of how Homer met Marge: The kids get on Youtube and discover there's a whole series of "Raging Springfield Gamer" videos featuring him and Comic Book Guy from like 2007 when Homer was still in high school which have millions of views each and suddenly stopped being produced.

Homer will talk about how before the kids were born he was a popular Youtube personality who did angry game reviews and invented the LP and angry reviewer genre, until he met Marge, she mellowed him out and he eventually got her pregnant and he realized he needed a full-time job that paid better.

Punchline to the episode is,
"Besides, even if millions of people watched every video I made, no one makes money on Youtube playing video games."
"PewDiePie pulled in $12M last year doing that."
"D'OH!"

edit: You know, you'd have a lot of YT cameos in the episode. James Rolfe would show up at "Rantcon 2008" and sit on a panel with Homer and ask Homer for any advice he can give him. PewDiePie will abscond with Homer's secret notebook of show ideas and vanish backstage. They guy from Classic Game Room would constantly be told to shut up because "if you can only say NICE things about retrogaming then you shouldn't be saying anything at all!"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

JediTalentAgent posted:

It'll be the origin story of how Homer met Marge: The kids get on Youtube and discover there's a whole series of "Raging Springfield Gamer" videos featuring him and Comic Book Guy from like 2007 when Homer was still in high school which have millions of views each and suddenly stopped being produced.

Homer will talk about how before the kids were born he was a popular Youtube personality who did angry game reviews and invented the LP and angry reviewer genre, until he met Marge, she mellowed him out and he eventually got her pregnant and he realized he needed a full-time job that paid better.

"Besides, even if millions of people watched every video I made, no one makes money on Youtube playing video games."
"D'OH!"

edit: You know, you'd have a lot of YT cameos in the episode. James Rolfe would show up at "Rantcon 2008" and sit on a panel with Homer and ask Homer for any advice he can give him. PewDiePie will abscond with Homer's secret notebook of show ideas and vanish backstage. They guy from Classic Game Room would constantly be told to shut up because "if you can only say NICE things about retrogaming then you shouldn't be saying anything at all!"

Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College Harvard too?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
James Rolfe: Hi Homer, I'm James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Comic Book Guy: EXCUSE me!

James Rolfe: D'oh!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

frytechnician posted:

The "Maude Death" episode played a few weeks back - caught it having breakfast at my girlfriend's place as I don't bother having a TV. Holy gently caress, that episode is way, WAY worse than I remembered. It is unbelievably clunky, ham-fisted and unnecessarily cruel & heartless. Most of all, it isn't funny. It just makes you groan and all the voice actors sound like they're reading their lines so slowly and obviously, it's like they're trying to make non-english speakers understand them.

I liked the parrots at the beginning and Hommer's obsession with the free t-shirt and star wipes but everything else in that one was hot garbage.

"Show us your boobs! Show us your boobs!"
\
:parrot:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

super sweet best pal posted:

I liked the parrots at the beginning and Hommer's obsession with the free t-shirt and star wipes but everything else in that one was hot garbage.

"Show us your boobs! Show us your boobs!"
\
:parrot:

I'm sick of goons saying they enjoyed these goofy rear end jokes from the bad episodes that are completely different in tone and quality from classic Simpsons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JediTalentAgent posted:

"D'OH!"

The episode will be titled "Fus Ro <annoyed grunt>"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wizard Master posted:

I'm sick of goons saying they enjoyed these goofy rear end jokes from the bad episodes that are completely different in tone and quality from classic Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MMVbkYaFU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a good part about this that conan o'brien and presumably other simpsons writers during this time went to harvard, so there's a sense of self-deprecation in addition to it having more laughs in 15 seconds than most modern simpsons episodes have in their entire runtime

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
My theory is that pink in the simpsons is actually a gold/beige irl

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

"D'OH!"

Hey just so you know Donald Glover wrote an equally stupid Simpsons spec about Bart becoming a rapper and it launched his career. Minimum wage for a union TV writer is about 40k per episode. Think about it.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I remembered this today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWI_ECKrBc

I'm guessing nobody got angry about it because by that time nobody was watching idk

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

have they done an episode where Homer becomes a famous lets player yet

Somebody frame this drat post, it was made by a prophet.

Cosmos
Jan 8, 2006

All that is or was or ever will be
Maaaaarrrgeee, you're breaking my heeeaaarrrtttttttt

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing I was sort of just now thinking of in regards with Youtube is that with Bart/Lisa being 10/8, they and Homer aren't that far off from having the exact same cultural experiences for the most part.

Homer and Marge would be pretty well-versed in tech like smartphones, Youtube, Internet, media players, DVRs, huge cable line-ups, high-speed internet. Things like Marvel movies, etc. and what not as it was already getting popular while Marge and Homer were still considered young, themselves. Anything like a PS2, 360, Wii or PS3 would likely have been just as much a recreational activity of Marge and Homer before the kids came along to play them.

With something like the show starting off in the late 80s/early 90s with Bart being 10 or so then, we could say that things like Homer possibly spent almost all his life with only radio, records and antenna TV before the kids came along. Game systems, cable, game systems and computers were probably far more the norm for Bart and Lisa.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just make the same show and swap the names around like it's the next generation.

Homer & Marge are the kids, Bart and Lisa the parents.

Simple.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

Just make the same show and swap the names around like it's the next generation.

Homer & Marge are the kids, Bart and Lisa the parents.

Simple.

They could call him Hoju

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any episode where they try to incorporate present day stuff is hated by fans, any episode where they reboot the series would be hated by fans x1000. Look at the poo poo around the new title sequence.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
they should make a hip new character named Kool Moe Dee Simpson

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Any episode where they try to incorporate present day stuff is hated by fans, any episode where they reboot the series would be hated by fans x1000. Look at the poo poo around the new title sequence.

That's why they gotta just be like "the Simpsons is dead. Long live the Simpsons"

The show as it is today has no fans anyway. Just people like us, angry comic book guy types

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Look at the poo poo around the new title sequence.

The redone title sequence shoehorned in a lot of awful "jokes" and showcases how slapsticky it's become. If they just redid the animation and left out things like Maggie shaking her fist at the unibrow baby and the car hitting Homer, it would be fine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The redone title sequence shoehorned in a lot of awful "jokes" and showcases how slapsticky it's become. If they just redid the animation and left out things like Maggie shaking her fist at the unibrow baby and the car hitting Homer, it would be fine.

What? You can't replace the pie! The pie is the heart of the picture!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

sassassin posted:

What? You can't replace the pie! The pie is the heart of the picture!

This episode is amazing, I never understood the hate for it.

"Tell the people, Homer. They have a right to know."
"Who are you?"
"What do you care? I'm telling you what you want to hear!"

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

nigga crab pollock posted:

their plan is literally espn

like i dont think the scope of the yarn really dawns on most of us but the entirety of cable television is basically a multi tiered racket for ESPN and by extension the NFL. like if they stopped offering espn as a required channel for entry level cable the price of cable would drop drastically which is why their revenues are so fuckin bloated. like there is a reason ESPN sued Verizon when they allowed customers to drop channels they didn't watch

Do you know of any good articles on this? This is fascinating

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Izzhov posted:

Do you know of any good articles on this? This is fascinating

not really but breaking the cost of cable down makes it seem pretty obvious

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/06/how-much-would-it-cost-to-get-your-favorite-channels-a-la-carte.html

espn costs significantly more than other cable networks though like yowza

and considering their general business model and reaction to changes to it, like the verizon lawsuit, i think its kind of clear

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

It's because it's so lazy that it's embarrassing. "Mapple"? "Steve Mobs"? What the gently caress?

Like Sherry Bobbins was at least more creative with the name change and they even poked fun at it when she cuts off someone saying Mary Poppins and said she's like "Rickey Rouse or Monald Muck". Now they're at the level of just throwing their arms up and going for the low bar.

Plus with the opening sequence it's more a reflection of how the animation has changed- lots of hilarious smears and looseness (Characters going walleyed for example) and now it's just stiff computer poo poo. I see the same for South Park too, sure it looks smoother and it's cheaper but the charm is gone.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Because I literally have nothing better to do with my worthless life, I decided to compile an ordered list of all the animated comedy TV shows that are in the Top 250 Rated Shows on IMDB. I also included a couple live action shows in the list that people talked about in this thread a lot. We can consider this list to be the be-all end-all of the debate for best animated comedy program on TV, for as we all know the users of IMDB are all geniuses with unquestionable taste:

8. Rick and Morty
30. One Punch Man
50. Gravity Falls
57. The Simpsons
62. South Park
67. Archer
90. Nathan For You
128. The Bugs Bunny Show
129. Adventure Time
164. The Venture Bros.
176. Futurama
226. BoJack Horseman
233. Broad City

The only shows I remember a lot of discussion of in this thread that didn't make the top 250 are Family Guy & its ilk, Drawn Together, and Moral Orel. It may also be of interest that the only shows rated more highly than Rick and Morty are a few documentaries, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and The Wire, in that order.

EDIT: Oh yeah Bob's Burgers didn't crack the Top 250 either.

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 6, 2017

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Nathan for you isn't animated.
e: I can't read, I WON'T READ.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Truly this is the golden age of animation

Just look at family guy, bobs burgers, rick and morty

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i didn't really like the rick and morty ep that just dropped because it was character-driven, and rick is a lovely character. it's better when it's making fun of sci-fi plots

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i didn't really like the rick and morty ep that just dropped because it was character-driven, and rick is a lovely character. it's better when it's making fun of sci-fi plots

Hmm I don't know. It tries to fool you into thinking it's gonna be character-driven at first but then repeatedly subverts that idea throughout the episode, which all builds up to the final joke about Rick's Szechuan sauce-driven nine-season character arc.

I agree though that the best jokes in the ep, and the show in general, are sci-fi based, like when Rick repeatedly brain-zaps and excuses himself with "I'm gonna go take a poo poo"

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Rick and Morty is the eighth greatest television show of all time

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I tried to like Gravity Falls, but it wasn't happening.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

I feel like Rick shouldn't really be at the center of an episode. He's best when he's the setting, a force of nature that all the other characters have to deal with.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I feel like Rick shouldn't really be at the center of an episode. He's best when he's the setting, a force of nature that all the other characters have to deal with.

Yeah the episode with the Devil was fantastic for this reason

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the new Rick and Morty episode until the end in which it clicked as to what the purpose was - the whole thing was basically to shut up all the crazy, overly in-depth fan theories as well as worries that the show was going to become heavily serialized.

I almost wonder if that was their original idea and then they saw all the annoying fan reactions and came to their senses, realizing that the show works as mostly self-contained adventures.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I tried to like Gravity Falls, but it wasn't happening.

Same. Pretty to look at and that's about it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I didn't like the new Rick and Morty episode until the end in which it clicked as to what the purpose was - the whole thing was basically to shut up all the crazy, overly in-depth fan theories as well as worries that the show was going to become heavily serialized.

I almost wonder if that was their original idea and then they saw all the annoying fan reactions and came to their senses, realizing that the show works as mostly self-contained adventures.

I still hope it was an April Fool's joke and RIck is still in brain-prison. The real resolution will happen next episode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I still hope it was an April Fool's joke and RIck is still in brain-prison. The real resolution will happen next episode.

I do think that's possible too because of how perfectly it went for Rick. But whatever happens I hope it's not a season long arc.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I would kinda like to see Evil Morty come back tho. I wanna know what that dude's deal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Izzhov posted:

I would kinda like to see Evil Morty come back tho. I wanna know what that dude's deal is

His Rick was from a timeline where Rick who used the Devil's Microscope. Conversely, Evil Morty went to Needful's shop to get something that would make Rick 'back into Rick he was', or something but tested it on himself, first. So, it imbued Morty with the intelligence, not-caring about Morties and Rick-hating personality thing, instead.