Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

Isn't Voltron just an excuse to have giant robots fight monsters in space? Doesn't seem like you need much of a "story" for that.

You don't need an excuse for that, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

X-O posted:

Isn't Voltron just an excuse to have giant robots fight monsters in space? Doesn't seem like you need much of a "story" for that.

The new show does not form voltron every episode, there's very few actual battles with robeasts.
I thought it was pretty good but flawed because for a character driven show the characters are kind of unevenly driven.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

... Yes? Like a lot of genuine good mecha shows have actual good plots to go along with it because robots bashing themselves mindlessly actually isn't that fun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

It's supposed to be more character-driven this time, and it just falls flat for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

... Yes? Like a lot of genuine good mecha shows have actual good plots to go along with it because robots bashing themselves mindlessly actually isn't that fun.

Well I didn't say you couldn't have one, I just said you really don't need one. Having a character driven cartoon about a giant robot sounds good in theory but apparently they missed the mark on this one if the last few posts are to be believed. Especially if they cut down on the giant robot, who is undoubtedly the draw of the series, for a bunch of flat character work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think there are that many, Gundam is probably the best example but their plots are god awful.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

The prime example being Eureka 7 while the prime anti-example being Eureka 7 AO

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think there are that many, Gundam is probably the best example but their plots are god awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poV2mZuVOjI

I'm honestly not sure if this is a counterpoint, but it deserves to be remembered either way.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

haitfais posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poV2mZuVOjI

I'm honestly not sure if this is a counterpoint, but it deserves to be remembered either way.

That is still one of the best mecha shows ever made.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The first season of Voltron was really great all around, but the second dragged on quite a bit.

It still has some of the best animation ever, since Studio Mir are doing it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Counterpoint, season two had the space mall episode, it is automatically the best.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm not going to argue with this

http://www.cbr.com/under-the-red-ho...FB-P&view=lista

:v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I am, especially when we live in a universe where Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker exist.

I will say it probably the last good Batman animated movie, but that's just because I haven't seen Lego Batman yet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
CBR has gone to clickbait hell, it'll usually publish stuff like "15 reasons why [blank] actually sucked" and two days later "15 reasons why [blank] was the best thing to happen". Wouldn't be shocked if there's six other articles saying why random other dc movies are the best DC movie ever.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I am, especially when we live in a universe where Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker exist.

I will say it probably the last good Batman animated movie, but that's just because I haven't seen Lego Batman yet.

Apart from The Dark Knight Returns and, from what I've heard, the Adam West thing that came out a little while ago. I'm waiting for it to turn up on Netflix.

The CBR article starts from a failed premise regardless. Under the Red Hood was well-directed visually (not enough to set a new standard or anything,) but the dialogue was pitiable and the cast was 50/50. DiMaggio's Joker was good, but no one's matched Hamill yet. Repeat the previous sentence with Bruce Greenwood and Kevin Conroy in place of DiMaggio and Hamill. Neil Patrick Harris and Jensen Ackles sounded like they were trying too hard, though the script may be to blame for that. Seriously, the dialogue. It was grade-school simplistic in some places, which really doesn't fit in an extra-dark Batman story. Some of the dialogue in Mask of the Phantasm was corny as poo poo, but at least that fit in the faux-retro noir-ish setting Batman occupied at the time. Return of the Joker had a surprisingly tight script, in the way that everything about Batman Beyond works better than it really should. Both films were at least equal to Under the Red Hood, visually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The direction is good, but the actual animation, while not as horrendous as DC's modern output, is still pretty lame compared to some of the DCAU's best stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

haitfais posted:

Apart from The Dark Knight Returns and, from what I've heard, the Adam West thing that came out a little while ago. I'm waiting for it to turn up on Netflix.

The CBR article starts from a failed premise regardless. Under the Red Hood was well-directed visually (not enough to set a new standard or anything,) but the dialogue was pitiable and the cast was 50/50. DiMaggio's Joker was good, but no one's matched Hamill yet. Repeat the previous sentence with Bruce Greenwood and Kevin Conroy in place of DiMaggio and Hamill. Neil Patrick Harris and Jensen Ackles sounded like they were trying too hard, though the script may be to blame for that. Seriously, the dialogue. It was grade-school simplistic in some places, which really doesn't fit in an extra-dark Batman story. Some of the dialogue in Mask of the Phantasm was corny as poo poo, but at least that fit in the faux-retro noir-ish setting Batman occupied at the time. Return of the Joker had a surprisingly tight script, in the way that everything about Batman Beyond works better than it really should. Both films were at least equal to Under the Red Hood, visually.

I liked how in Return of the Joker They had Mark Hamill also play some executive guy as a red herring for the Joker's actual identity.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I liked how in Return of the Joker They had Mark Hamill also play some executive guy as a red herring for the Joker's actual identity.

I must have watched that movie a hundred times, and I never noticed that. The smarmy rear end in a top hat guy who almost got space-lasered on a boat?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Lego Batman is drat phenomenal. Under the Red Hood does not compare. It doesn't beat out Return of the Joker either.

Even though the Joker chip is actually really stupid.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

There will always be at least one really stupid thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

haitfais posted:

I must have watched that movie a hundred times, and I never noticed that. The smarmy rear end in a top hat guy who almost got space-lasered on a boat?

Yup, not as effective as I thought if no one else noticed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

haitfais posted:

There will always be at least one really stupid thing.

That's basically comics.txt

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yup, not as effective as I thought if no one else noticed.

Now that I know about it I can totally hear it. gently caress, but Hamill's a better voice actor than we deserve.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Lego Batman is drat phenomenal. Under the Red Hood does not compare. It doesn't beat out Return of the Joker either.

Even though the Joker chip is actually really stupid.

It wouldn't be Batman Beyond if there wasn't a weird, goofy, impossible sci fi element.

I don't know how others feel about Mask of the Phantasm but I'd definitely rank it above Under the Red Hood by quite a lot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mask of the Phantasm is the best one. I thought everyone knew that.

So this new DCAU Batman and Harley movie looks pretty dire. I'm into the Nightwing design but the animation looks bad, Harley's voice is super off-putting and there's some kind of gross thing between her and Nightwing. I'm not even sure if I like Bruce Timm anymore.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

purple death ray posted:

Mask of the Phantasm is the best one. I thought everyone knew that.

So this new DCAU Batman and Harley movie looks pretty dire. I'm into the Nightwing design but the animation looks bad, Harley's voice is super off-putting and there's some kind of gross thing between her and Nightwing. I'm not even sure if I like Bruce Timm anymore.

Link?

Also, MotP is the best, but Under the Red Hood was great, I thought.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reinanigans posted:

Link?

Also, MotP is the best, but Under the Red Hood was great, I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pBn96QXAI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Then there's the fact that Everyone is coming back, but Arleen Sorkin and Diane Pershins? Lets just get some tv stars instead.

There's some fun stuff in there, but a lot of gross and I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough to discount swamp thing going "oh cut the CRAP", yeah i really would've liked BTAS more if they flaunted how they can use slightly more adult language.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bruce Timm needs to have his horney surgically removed. And props to Arleen Sorkin for retiring and staying retired. That's not even a joke, some performers keep getting roped in for "one last appearance" and work until they die and that's sad to me. Anyone who can walk away and stay away deserves a thumbs up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Bruce Timm needs to have his horney surgically removed. And props to Arleen Sorkin for retiring and staying retired. That's not even a joke, some performers keep getting roped in for "one last appearance" and work until they die and that's sad to me. Anyone who can walk away and stay away deserves a thumbs up.

Yeah Conroy and Hamill have walked away from these characters more times than I can count. I mean they're both very good still so I try not to complain about it but the cartoons they're doing nowadays are just so bad it's hard not to wish they'd stopped earlier.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
They should totally retire from these jobs that pay them good money for minimal work and which they can do until they are dead.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Cactus Jack posted:

They should totally retire from these jobs that pay them good money for minimal work and which they can do until they are dead.

If they want to, yes. No one would have a problem with Hamill or Conroy giving it their all until they can't give no more, but they've tried to retire more than once and their more recent work doesn't really hold up compared to their older work. It doesn't feel like their hearts are in it anymore, and if that's the case they should probably move on for reals.

Of course, I could be wrong. It could turn out that they love it as much as they ever did (I would,) and their work "feeling" off might just be because their voices are 25 years older.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haitfais posted:

Of course, I could be wrong. It could turn out that they love it as much as they ever did (I would,) and their work "feeling" off might just be because their voices are 25 years older.

Or just bad voice direction, which seems to be a thing in modern DC animated features. Look at how Joker pointlessly screams out some of his lines in The Killing Joke animated film, vs how they were delivered conversationally in the comic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

haitfais posted:

If they want to, yes. No one would have a problem with Hamill or Conroy giving it their all until they can't give no more, but they've tried to retire more than once and their more recent work doesn't really hold up compared to their older work. It doesn't feel like their hearts are in it anymore, and if that's the case they should probably move on for reals.
I would not include Arkham Knight in that statement; that's some of Hamill's best work.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Or just bad voice direction, which seems to be a thing in modern DC animated features. Look at how Joker pointlessly screams out some of his lines in The Killing Joke animated film, vs how they were delivered conversationally in the comic.

That's a good point. They haven't had Andrea Romano doing the voice direction for the last few movies, have they?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Whoever's the current voice director is doing a pretty lovely job.

I don't want to be one of those people that just seems upset that they didn't use the same voice actors, but good God I would kill to have the 03 Teen Titans voice actors in these new movies. The new voice actors sound awful at their job.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watched Teen Titans: The Judas Contract last night. Was ok. Nothing remarkable. Had a handful of sex jokes, and yes, they included the awkward romantic subplot between old-man Deathstroke and teen titan Terra.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mask of the Phantasm is definitely the best animated Batman movie and makes a serious case for best Batman movie regardless of being animated. Under The Red Hood is a good movie though, and it is literally the only good use ever of Jason Todd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was bored to tears during UTRH, but I've also never cared about Jason Todd/Red Hood. DiMaggio's Joker is solid, though.

Mask of the Phantasm really is the best animated DC movie. The Freeze movie the recent DVD comes bundled with (Sub-Zero) is also pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sub-Zero's all right. It feels like an episode stretched out twice as long as it needs to be, though. A good episode, sure.