Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Schizotek posted:

I don't see the interview. Is it tucked away in one of the other two interviews?

Potentially memory holed?

This link is currently working:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/30/nightside-talking-with-the-free-speech-bus/
Listening now, red flags should have been going up about the caller.
e: good on Dan Rea for calling her out and cutting her off. (and then commended the Major for his actions, and told NOM to GTFO)

And checking,
Yep, pranked.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/03/31/radio-station-got-majorly-trolled-during-interview-about-anti-trans-free-speech-bus/

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That is incredible.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
For what it's worth, Hazte oir may be mostly talk but their membership includes unrepentant francoists and would absolutely side with any fascist resurgence in half a heartbeat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

joat mon posted:

Potentially memory holed?

This link is currently working:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/30/nightside-talking-with-the-free-speech-bus/
Listening now, red flags should have been going up about the caller.
e: good on Dan Rea for calling her out and cutting her off. (and then commended the Major for his actions, and told NOM to GTFO)

And checking,
Yep, pranked.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/03/31/radio-station-got-majorly-trolled-during-interview-about-anti-trans-free-speech-bus/

Welp. Guess that's what I get for assuming a major radio station vets it's interviewees. :v:

I really hope this doesn't do more harm than good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
drat I was like that can't be real and then it wasn't.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Grade A trolling though. We need more of that.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's not like it isn't their deepest desire. The literature about the evils of the ideology of gender (what french and spanish language far right catholic groups call not having trans people murdered on sight) is a hell of a lot more open about it than what milquetoast evangelicals are willing to sell to their audiences.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Welp. Guess that's what I get for assuming a major radio station vets it's interviewees. :v:

I really hope this doesn't do more harm than good.

It won't, it really won't. Anyone who feels motivated by this one act probably was waiting for the chance to take a bat to a transgender person's head anyway.

What this does is exposes the uncomfortable conclusion to this line of thought. The person trolling played by the rules of the talk show host and made his position sound exactly as evil as it really was. You can't claim to accept trans people but then deny them rights, it's incompatible. It actually forced him to backstep and say "Well I do approve of Marty Walsh raising the transgender flag on city hall" which is something he would probably never have said normally, because he was forced to face the logical extreme of his position, live on air and unfiltered.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I dunno, Rea has always been fairly open to LGBT issues for someone who is nominally conservative. He had a transgender rights activist on his show a couple weeks ago, and some of his callers have been talked around to acceptance which is fairly significant for white boomers who listen to talk radio. Seems like an unnecessary burning of bridges, I guess. I'll have to listen to last night's show to see how pissed he was about the whole thing, I can see him being hella mad about having his show taken advantage of to make a cheap shot, no matter how deserved.

I do see your point though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's not like it isn't their deepest desire. The literature about the evils of the ideology of gender (what french and spanish language far right catholic groups call not having trans people murdered on sight) is a hell of a lot more open about it than what milquetoast evangelicals are willing to sell to their audiences.

If you look at the real hardline evangelicals like FRC its not too far off, they openly said they wanted LGBT people "exported" from the US and homosexuality recriminalized, and all recognition of trans people totally undone.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thalantos posted:

I wish these cowards would come down here

I'm in Baltimore and the bus was supposed to be here on Sunday, but I went with like 15 other Antifa and various regular protestors to the waterfront and we had scouts around the city. The bus never showed up. We're not sure if it was because of the previous poo poo that happened in Philly right before or if it was actually because they were feeling directly intimidated. Either way it was a win-win because they didn't show their bullshit here.

Vid from Philly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLzlXNvYauQ

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The NCAA is apparently more than happy to pretend HB142 solves everything bad with HB2 and to go on making money.

The dems got their headline, NC Quiltbags should probably be disappointed, and I figure expecting better was blind optimism.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It does get rid of the explicit right to discriminate bullshit that was one of the biggest parts of the problem with HB2, which is good. Not having additional protections sucks, but it's no different than how it was before.

No real progress was made, but with lots of other things going to poo poo that's better than the alternative I guess. :smith:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

The Shortest Path posted:

Not having additional protections sucks, but it's no different than how it was before.

Except now people are up in arms about trans folk in restrooms.

We just ended up with a larger target on our backs.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

Except now people are up in arms about trans folk in restrooms.

We just ended up with a larger target on our backs.

Just be like me and rarely leave the house.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Aleph Null posted:

Just be like me and rarely leave the house.

If I could get paid for that, or have a spouse who would tolerate supporting me, that'd be awesome. :v: not even happening, but awesome

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I've gotta go to work

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Big news, I didn't even know they were hearing this en banc.

https://twitter.com/LambdaLegal/status/849391234263248896

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MaxxBot posted:

Here's [url=http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2017/D04-04/C:15-1720:j:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1942256:S:0] The opinion.[/url]
At least in the employment discrimination realm, a solid and interesting analysis.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

MaxxBot posted:

Cue the GOP proposing legislation to remove sex discrimination from the Civil Rights Act. Or just remove the Civil Rights Act.

But this is great news! I honestly didn't even know this was in the pipeline, go Lambda.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
It will be hilarious of Title IX ends up establishing federal non-discrimination protections for LGBT people, because (if I'm not misremembering) the women's rights section was added to the CRA by conservatives as a poison pill to try to sink it

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

“In addition to this,” Jones continued, “I have joined with Senator Britt in drafting a bill that strengthens existing law and offers even more protections for everyone in restrooms and changing facilities. My bill will do two things: First, it will specifically state it is a second degree trespass for entering the restroom or changing room of the opposite sex; secondly, it would enhance the punishment from what is now, a class 3 misdemeanor punishable up to only 10 days, to a class 1 misdemeanor, punishable up to 120 days in jail.”

Who the gently caress could have seen this coming? Roy Cooper is a worthless piece of poo poo and NC republicans have won a decisive victory because he is so pathetic and craven. Gotta protect those sacred public bathrooms from those evil trans predators.

quote:

“A faction of the Republican Party here in North Carolina is angry that HB2 was repealed,” Democratic Representative Deb Butler told Mother Jones. “They wanted it, they liked it just the way it was. This is, I am sure, their attempt to thumb their nose at the compromise.

No...really?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Eimi posted:

If I could get paid for that, or have a spouse who would tolerate supporting me, that'd be awesome. :v: not even happening, but awesome

Housework is hard, you could be a housewife?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bethamphetamine posted:

Who the gently caress could have seen this coming? Roy Cooper is a worthless piece of poo poo and NC republicans have won a decisive victory because he is so pathetic and craven. Gotta protect those sacred public bathrooms from those evil trans predators.

No...really?

Yeah, this seems like typical Democrat capitulation. Huge disappointment, and a good reason to never vote for Democrats again.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The party of Barney Frank doesn't give a poo poo about trans people outside campaign time? Who would have thought.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Or maybe elect Democrats to the legislature so the governor doesn't have to make deals with shitbag Republican bigots to get even parts of their horrible laws repealed.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Or maybe elect Democrats to the legislature so the governor doesn't have to make deals with shitbag Republican bigots to get even parts of their horrible laws repealed.

Sure, but until then don't act like your deal that makes the law even worse is a great exercize in bipartisanship after previously pretending you were abolishing the drat thing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Agnosticnixie posted:

Sure, but until then don't act like your deal that makes the law even worse is a great exercize in bipartisanship after previously pretending you were abolishing the drat thing.

Exactly, the whole thing looks like a ploy to get their precious sports games back and end the economic boycott rather than actually trying to undo the harm of HB2.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

No one with power actually gives a gently caress about helping trans folk.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Thalantos posted:

No one with power actually gives a gently caress about helping trans folk.

I have an irrational soft spot for​ Hillary Clinton​ because she made it easier for me to change my passport when she was Secretary of State.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have an irrational soft spot for​ Hillary Clinton​ because she made it easier for me to change my passport when she was Secretary of State.

I half expect we'll find out it was Obama or Biden leaning on State to adopt the policy, cause her actual campaign had a lot of trouble remembering gender identity was even a thing well before the primaries.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Agnosticnixie posted:

I half expect we'll find out it was Obama or Biden leaning on State to adopt the policy, cause her actual campaign had a lot of trouble remembering gender identity was even a thing well before the primaries.

I don't think so. There's a nice writeup with a bit more details on Politico http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/hillary-clinton-2016-transgender-rights-passport-policy-state-department-lgbt-equality-214007

Frankly, I never got the impression Obama or Biden gave much of a poo poo about trans people beyond general LGBT support. This passport thing was the biggest trans-specific thing I can think of that happened over those 8 years, and everything I've read says it was Clinton.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Regardless of who it was I think it's evidence that SOMEBODY gave a gently caress.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Agnosticnixie posted:

Nah. I know the whole "Clintons are Republicans" meme is swallowed hook line and sinker by most of the forum, but they're pretty much the only people outside of the supreme court who have every gotten anything done for the LGBT crowd.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schizotek posted:

Nah. I know the whole "Clintons are Republicans" meme is swallowed hook line and sinker by most of the forum, but they're pretty much the only people outside of the supreme court who have every gotten anything done for the LGBT crowd.

But then I can't pretend Hillary Clinton is an evil demon responsible for all the world's ills. :ohdear:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'll point out like I have elsewhere that I can't afford a passport, sure in part to policies Clinton supported, so that's really irrelevant for me

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Thalantos posted:

I'll point out like I have elsewhere that I can't afford a passport, sure in part to policies Clinton supported, so that's really irrelevant for me

That sucks. I always thought the "more expensive passports" part of her platform didn't make much sense. I'm sure Bernie would've fixed it.

Schizotek posted:

I probably should've expected this response after posting something remotely positive about Hillary Clinton.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thalantos posted:

Hillary Clinton isn't responsible for your home in the Deep South being horrible.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Schizotek posted:

This is a really absurd statement, there were many politicians helping out LGBT people before the Clintons were even politically active. I do think that some people are too hard on Bill Clinton's gay rights record given the times but there are many, many politicians who have done more to advance LGBT rights than they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
America does not tolerate failure and it does not forgive failure brought about by incompetence.. And the reason Hillary is not President right now is primarily her own incompetence. While there were many factors that contributed to her defeat all of those factors would have been easily overcome if she had just run a bog standard by-the-book political campaign. Instead she just assumed that she was going to win by default and didn't bother with all the unpleasant grassroots-oriented parts of running a political campaign and focused on fundraising and the like. Hillary's incompetence has cost our country dearly and her actions since losing (like shutting down the Clinton Foundation virtually overnight) have demonstrated that whatever good she did was probably just an incidental part of her triangulation strategy to become more powerful.

40 years from now all anyone will remember of Hillary Clinton is that she is the fuckup that got Donald Trump elected. Will that be an accurate assessment of her long career? Of course not. Will it be a fair one? Considering the magnitude of damage that her incompetence has wrought on the country I would answer in the affirmative.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 9, 2017

• Locked thread