Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

The Diamondest of Diamond Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can live with that. But wasn't that Venom's deal? What ever happened to Venom?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can live with that. But wasn't that Venom's deal? What ever happened to Venom?

im rigjt hrere It's complicated.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
inf just claim. everything you're saying right now feels like spin.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/Br00TCn.mp4

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

So this has now progressed from an uncomfortable turbo into trying to force a claim?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I still really dislike 100yrs justifications for his vote. In addition,

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I figured it was based on previous misconceptions, which while I agree isn't very sporting, I admit that I'm no way beyond doing the same thing. I definitely have prejudices against some players, though that's only after having played with them several times. Also, I can be much more lenient on someone if I feel I wasn't once before (if you die here, you can be certain I'd give you a free pass elsewhere for example). Some people can come in with clean slates, I know I can't. So I don't hold that against them, it'd just be hypocritical.

I do think they care very much who it is they hang, with you being the core of the focus. I don't think Ecco or Pmom would go after just anyone, unless by who you mean Town vs Scum. In that case it gets a lot tougher to call, and in fact your death would go far in undermining their own standing, were you town. It would be harder to trust them after such a flip.

this is an especially bad post. Talking about how it'd be harder to trust Ecco or Pmom if Inf flips town? I don't understand this because Pmom said straight out that his was a policy vote, and I am fairly sure Ecco's vote is similar. I don't understand how policy votes would affect your perception of a player's ability to judge alignment when the votes have nothing to do with alignment.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

Really? I don't find that to be true at all

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My suspicion of Slamburger is compounded by the fact that he hand-waved away my point that he seemed super defensive and then disappeared off the face of the earth. I never want to rush to vote low-content posters early on but my hackles are up here.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

TNL is the greatest, just wanted to share that. He may be scum hiding behind a strong gimmick but that's cool with me for now.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I'm here Hal, I just didn't have much time for the game yesterday. My current scum reads are PMom, 100yrs, and Somber. I'll type up some details.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flying Leatherman posted:

I still really dislike 100yrs justifications for his vote. In addition,

this is an especially bad post. Talking about how it'd be harder to trust Ecco or Pmom if Inf flips town? I don't understand this because Pmom said straight out that his was a policy vote, and I am fairly sure Ecco's vote is similar. I don't understand how policy votes would affect your perception of a player's ability to judge alignment when the votes have nothing to do with alignment.

Because it leaves a bad taste in the mouth regardless? I can take Ecco's advice on a lark and screw up once or twice before deciding not to do that again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But you've double downed on the lark, and offered very little in the way of opinions on anyone else in a game where the D1 joke phase died off almost instantly.

Gimme yo top 3 scumspects 100yrs

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

All of my reads stem from the Infin stuff since thats been the main thing going on today.

For PMom, as much as I get where he's coming from 100% about Inf (I was on his team in megaman), going all-in feels like cover to avoid having to deal with D1.

100yrs pinged my gut with this post. It strikes a weird balance of over-explainy, but at the same time a "its D1 who cares" vibe. I know other people mentioned this and he further explained it as his posting style, but I still thought it was odd when I read it the first time.

Somber comes off the worst surrounding the Inf thing though. It really just seems like he wants to turbo to go through but is wrestling with how hard to commit to it or why he should be committing. At least PMom and Ecco are being 100% clear that its a policy lynch, and 100yrs has a consistent position of "D1 who cares, I'll follow Ecco". Somber is a lot more opportunistic. Look at the sequence of everything:

1. Somber gets on board once it has some steam (4th vote).
2. Then he makes his "Explain why you AREN'T on the turbo" post which feels a lot more like vote pressure than some kind of content exercise. He defends his request that it can promote future analysis but doesn't do any.
3. Then this post is Bad:

Somberbrero posted:

yeah i'm still feeling the inf vote. if i had to switch, it'd be to 100. something about his posting feels deeply awkward. not to be lovely, he just seems to be posting Very Carefully.

This is where he just decides that now Infin is actually scum and its not a joke turbo / opportunity for D1 content, rather its a scum lynch. But instead of calling out Infin's reaction as scummy, which would be the town pov, he goes with:

Somberbrero posted:

i think the voting pattern indicates that the push was mostly if not all town and you are scum, with the stall out coming at least in some effort from your scumteam.
Which is fake fake fake.

##vote Somberbrero

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

But you've double downed on the lark, and offered very little in the way of opinions on anyone else in a game where the D1 joke phase died off almost instantly.

Gimme yo top 3 scumspects 100yrs

I'm not doubling down and I'm willing to unvote. My top suspect is actually Keane due to the fluff of his posts. He brings up several times why the examining the turbo is interesting and never really does. He talks a bit about how using flavor to prove scum is a non-starter, but again doesn't take that far enough into an accusation or anything. Keane's definitely around and reading, and I don't think he's disinterested, but I do think he's trying to keep a low profile.

Moat is also on my radar.

As for a third I'd have to do a more thorough re-read but as always I'm wary of lurkers, and I find Mr. F's! posting erratic and strange.

For what it's worth I don't find you scummy and if I hadn't been asked to vote you in the first place I wouldn't have. At this point I'm just passively-aggressively waiting for one thing to unvote because I'm feeling petulant.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll petulate you in a minute mate

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Thank you 100yrs for keeping the faith for this long. Blessed are you when they persecute you for my sake,. Resist the devil and his snares, solid in your faith, and your reward will be tenfold in the kingdom.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

this is incredibly weird.

I should precise that I meant 2 sentences of everything I've said in game. Not in that one post.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm now re-reading post histories, up to now I've just been reading the thread as is and commenting as I go along if it wasn't clear.

Anon's last two comments are weird. Particularly:

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I can't tell if we're serious posting yet or not

Because I'm pretty sure it's abundantly clear that we are. It's not outright scummy though, but it's definitely someone who isn't following as closely as they should be.

Re-reading Chores, there's a lot of garbage posting in there which I'm in no way fond of. I don't care if they haven't read their PM, they can still make some effort. That wasn't why Mr. F! was calling for his execution but yeah. Hawke is similar but more coherent somehow? I'm not bothered by Hawke's posting in the way I am by Chores.

So to better answer my Top 3: Keane, Chores, and Moat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Slamburger posted:

It strikes a weird balance of over-explainy, but at the same time a "its D1 who cares" vibe.

This guy gets it.

Actually that's an interesting take on Somber, and not how I read him. In fact I thought his point was pretty interesting, about the scum-team stalling. Now I don't know what you think you mean by "Fake Fake Fake" but it's made me think that it's strange that Somber would go after Infinitum rather than those who he believes are stalling, supposedly also Scum.

I'd like to know who he thinks those are myself.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But it's midnight and I'm nodding off soon, so here are my hot-takes before I go to bed.

- I stand by my analysis of the 'turbo' on me

- Still happy with my vote on 100yrs for the turbo, aligning with Ecco, and not really having an opinion for so long. He's been questioned by other players and I'm in the same mind as FL that I'm not really liking what I'm seeing

- Ecco dragging out-of-thread drama into the game as reasons for his policy vote is basically a poop emoji growing to gigantic proportions. I find this an underhanded way to play, she's smarter than this, and I think she's hiding behind a 'policy lynch' to lurk.

- PMom policy voting me for supposed 'anti-town play' from previous games, but voting me as part of the turbo is super duper :downs: levels of ironic.

- Both players have since vanished from the thread after making the 10 post minimum requirements for the day and I don't like that one bit. They're literally not participating in discussion at all other than "Why aren't you voting Inf" and I find that extremely scummy behaviour. Both of them need to start participating and soon.

- I don't like Somber asking me to claim up above after the last page of interaction. This post in particular is particularly egregious about judging my alignment when I hadn't even posted in the thread yet.

- Would like to hear more from other players about Slamburger or Chores and their reasons for voting

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

Thank you 100yrs for keeping the faith for this long. Blessed are you when they persecute you for my sake,. Resist the devil and his snares, solid in your faith, and your reward will be tenfold in the kingdom.

Top 3 scumspects kgo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I don't get the stuff on Burger. Chores though I can understand, but I can only see it in the first degree of bad poo poo-posting, any other subtleties to his play escape me.

Somber reads way differently to me via post history than in thread. They come off worse in the latter definitely, but that final bit just felt conversational to me as in a "heat of the moment" sort of thing.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm now re-reading post histories, up to now I've just been reading the thread as is and commenting as I go along if it wasn't clear.

Anon's last two comments are weird. Particularly:

Because I'm pretty sure it's abundantly clear that we are. It's not outright scummy though, but it's definitely someone who isn't following as closely as they should be.

Re-reading Chores, there's a lot of garbage posting in there which I'm in no way fond of. I don't care if they haven't read their PM, they can still make some effort. That wasn't why Mr. F! was calling for his execution but yeah. Hawke is similar but more coherent somehow? I'm not bothered by Hawke's posting in the way I am by Chores.

So to better answer my Top 3: Keane, Chores, and Moat.

this is a manufactured read

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

got some chores tonight posted:

I finally had time to look into people more closely outside of any initial feelings reached by reading the thread as it's appeared.

mags is probably the second worst mafia player in this game; i dont think ive ever seen him be right about a single vote hes ever made

There's a handful of posts that express any sort of opinion, this one is the most genuine by my reckoning.

I decided to take this one seriously but it's hard to say.

Your vote on slam I don't take seriously, I consider it a jokevote regarding the flavor.

To your benefit it's a lot more painful to just sit down and read your post-history than within the context of thread, which is why I hadn't noticed it until now. You seem to really just poo poo-post and avoid the game. In contrast Hawke, who I'm also considering a poo poo-poster, is engaging on some level and having back and forth's on thread related issues making it seem more genuine.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Infinitum posted:

But it's midnight and I'm nodding off soon, so here are my hot-takes before I go to bed.

- I stand by my analysis of the 'turbo' on me

- Still happy with my vote on 100yrs for the turbo, aligning with Ecco, and not really having an opinion for so long. He's been questioned by other players and I'm in the same mind as FL that I'm not really liking what I'm seeing

- Ecco dragging out-of-thread drama into the game as reasons for his policy vote is basically a poop emoji growing to gigantic proportions. I find this an underhanded way to play, she's smarter than this, and I think she's hiding behind a 'policy lynch' to lurk.

- PMom policy voting me for supposed 'anti-town play' from previous games, but voting me as part of the turbo is super duper :downs: levels of ironic.

- Both players have since vanished from the thread after making the 10 post minimum requirements for the day and I don't like that one bit. They're literally not participating in discussion at all other than "Why aren't you voting Inf" and I find that extremely scummy behaviour. Both of them need to start participating and soon.

- I don't like Somber asking me to claim up above after the last page of interaction. This post in particular is particularly egregious about judging my alignment when I hadn't even posted in the thread yet.

- Would like to hear more from other players about Slamburger or Chores and their reasons for voting

Solid town post in my opinion.

I don't get why infi is constantly a D1 target and policy votes are stupid and scummy except in extreme cases

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Pretty much everything 100 says in this game sounds manufactured, hilarious since it is supposedly all stream of consciousness

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Now I don't know what you think you mean by "Fake Fake Fake" but it's made me think that it's strange that Somber would go after Infinitum rather than those who he believes are stalling, supposedly also Scum.

To further explain, my main issue is that Somber is currently voting Infin because (he claims) that he thinks he's scum. When Infin directly asked him why (response with quote here), I would expect a genuine/towny thought process to be "Well when the turbo started, your X, Y, and Z responses were scummy". Instead, Somber goes to the "vote pattern" as his evidence of Inf's guilt. I believe that this is fake/scummy reasoning.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

I don't get why infi is constantly a D1 target and policy votes are stupid and scummy except in extreme cases

To soapbox a little about policy lynches. There is a difference between "bad" players that don't post useful opinions or use poor strategy or post in a way that I arbitrarily don't care for, and players that actually torpedo games. Infinitum plays the games he's in and contributes content, even when I disagree with it. Contrast that with like Harold Krell who made an honest scum claim in a game I was running and made people lynch him D1. Punishing people and trying to prevent them from a playing a game should be reserved for the latter. Otherwise I consider it bad sportsmanship. I get it with Infin. He made really dumb decisions in Megaman, and had terrible reads. He just NK'ed me on N1 in another game I just played. Part of me feels like "yeah get him!". But turbos and policy lynches are bad for the game.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
100, is the chance that you may be doing scum's bidding by mislynching Inf an acceptable risk to do a favor for a friend?

What is your take on Ecco's alignment so far ?

Do you think Ecco's beef with Inf is reasonable?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
eight hours to go, the scum defending infinitum should really coalesce around a single candidate if they want to save him.

100yrs is town, his posting sounds weird because he's been in France for so long, it otherwise doesn't sound like anything unusual for how he normally types.

I don't have any real opinions of Slamburger.

hey slamburger if you voted for Inf instead of Somber (who is not getting voted today) you would do the world a big mitzvah and yourself as well.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Dick Bastardly posted:

Do you think Ecco's beef with Inf is reasonable?
I am sorry you have been mislead as to why I am voting for infinitum. It is not because I have a specific "beef" with him, I don't know who would have ever characterized it that way.

I am voting for him because he's a lovely player and he needs to leave.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Slamburger posted:

Infinitum plays the games he's in and contributes content, even when I disagree with it.
no he doesn't.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

hey slamburger if you voted for Inf instead of Somber (who is not getting voted today) you would do the world a big mitzvah and yourself as well.

Do you disagree with my reasoning for why he's scum? Do you think Somber is town?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Slamburger posted:

Do you disagree with my reasoning for why he's scum? Do you think Somber is town?

I think somber voting for Inf is a good vote. I think it's perfectly valid to want Inf to be removed from the game and to say the voting pattern doesn't dissuade him. I neither agree nor disagree - I could see persuasive arguments either way (inf town vs. inf scum and scum voting for him vs. scum not) - but I can see why Somber would side the way he has, and so it doesn't read as scummy to me.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

eight hours to go, the scum defending infinitum should really coalesce around a single candidate if they want to save him.

100yrs is town, his posting sounds weird because he's been in France for so long, it otherwise doesn't sound like anything unusual for how he normally types.

I don't have any real opinions of Slamburger.

the council has convened and we have chose to execute slumburger

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

EccoRaven posted:

no he doesn't.

I disagree. Inf's "content" may be off the mark most of the time, but I think it can lend to provoking thoughts. Specifically, I like to take Inf's lumpen lists and literally flip them upside down so that his town reads become his scum reads. That seems to end up being more accurate.

100, feel free to answer my questions for you on your own behalf.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
There is a kneejerk feeling in mafia to want to say "I am voting <player> because they are scum/scummy," which is a good kneejerk to have because like I have said before the vast majority of the time that's what we should be doing anyway. But there are fringe cases where that must be discarded for the good of the game.

Somber saying "the vote patterns!" is not inherently scummy even ordinarily, and us all being a fringe case right now makes it even less so.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

I disagree. Inf's "content" may be off the mark most of the time, but I think it can lend to provoking thoughts. Specifically, I like to take Inf's lumpen lists and literally flip them upside down so that his town reads become his scum reads. That seems to end up being more accurate.

100, feel free to answer my questions for you on your own behalf.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i dont actually need to lynch infi now that hes been scared straight im ok w/ lynching actual scum like slamburger now

• Locked thread