Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stump posted:

You can now get an MOT history for a car online, https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ which is super handy for checking out cars on eBay.

Holy poo poo, my Rover, which I wrote off in 2012 was brought back to life in April 2016 and MOTd

It mysteriously managed to do 15,000 miles during the period after I crashed it and it getting its first MOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

After 169,000 miles I decided my BMW E46 320CD was costing too much to be worth while, so I've just bought this:

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI, very happy so far :D

stump
Jan 19, 2006

JingleBells posted:

After 169,000 miles I decided my BMW E46 320CD was costing too much to be worth while, so I've just bought this:

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI, very happy so far :D

Oh man the E46's are dropping like flies. Mine was a 320d too. Nice merc tho.

spog posted:

Holy poo poo, my Rover, which I wrote off in 2012 was brought back to life in April 2016 and MOTd

It mysteriously managed to do 15,000 miles during the period after I crashed it and it getting its first MOT.

I have spent too long looking up what cars I used to drive survived past my ownership (not many).

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

stump posted:

Oh man the E46's are dropping like flies. Mine was a 320d too. Nice merc tho.

Yeah, in the last 6 months it's hilariously failed it's MOT (Rear wiring was so broken if you put the rear fog lights on the reverse lights came on instead) and had a complete front spring give up - I could've gotten it in better shape but that investment wouldn't have added anything to resale over the cost, and I put about 15,000+ miles a year on it. I'd been looking for a low mileage 330Cd manual but the only one available is the other end of the country - this was at a garage 30 mins away

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You could have stripped it to a bare shell and have it 500hp and fancy dampers actually :twisted:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My car's going in for an MOT in 4 hours, I shall let you know what it fails on... :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My car's going in for an MOT in 4 hours, I shall let you know what it fails on... :v:

Can we run a book on this?

I'll put my money on a worn suspension bushing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Can we run a book on this?

I'll put my money on a worn suspension bushing.

It's had new ball joints recently to those are out. Burns oil quite well for an old car though (29th on the road birthday 3 weeks ago).

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
E802 FGW
Toyota if you want backstory

*edit: I should add I've only had it a year so previous nonsense is not on me.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 3, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I like the spurious mention of structural corrosion, that is not mentioned in subsequent inspection reports.

ALL BETTER NOW

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Japanese car, rear arches were cut out and replaced as is the norm

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Japanese car, rear arches were cut out and replaced as is the norm

Had to do it to an R32 GTR I had for a few months. Same thing happened in 2016 and now it not on the road along with my old R34 GTT which is odd since that only had 50k miles on it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Why were Japanese cars of that sort of age so crap in terms of rusting rear arches?

*edit: Failed the MOT;

001; rear brake excessively fluctuating (offside and nearside)
002; brake hose excessively deteriorated (nearside front)
003; brake hose excessively deteriorated (offside front)

Advisory; Suspension arm has slight play in ball joint, Nearside rear

To be fair I've had some HEL brake hoses on my 'to buy' list for a while, I guess they were slightly more desperate than I thought. Rear brake fluctuating is a case of whacking the calipers off and giving them a clean from what he said though I'm going to replace the rotor and pads anyway. All in all not bad considering the car was less than well cared for before I got the thing.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 3, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why were Japanese cars of that sort of age so crap in terms of rusting rear arches?

*edit: Failed the MOT;

001; rear brake excessively fluctuating (offside and nearside)
002; brake hose excessively deteriorated (nearside front)
003; brake hose excessively deteriorated (offside front)

Advisory; Suspension arm has slight play in ball joint, Nearside rear

To be fair I've had some HEL brake hoses on my 'to buy' list for a while, I guess they were slightly more desperate than I thought. Rear brake fluctuating is a case of whacking the calipers off and giving them a clean from what he said though I'm going to replace the rotor and pads anyway. All in all not bad considering the car was less than well cared for before I got the thing.

So I guessed 'worn bushing' and it was an advisory, not a fail, so I should get half a point, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Half a point. A further 5 if you guess what it fails on during the retest.

Also I'm wondering how accurate the scales they have on the ramps are because the axle weights cited on the sheet are faaaaaat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Half a point. A further 5 if you guess what it fails on during the retest.

Also I'm wondering how accurate the scales they have on the ramps are because the axle weights cited on the sheet are faaaaaat.

1988 car? Emissions.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Whoops sorry meant to post this in the CL thread

blk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 4, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

blk posted:

What do you guys think qualifies as lowballing? 10% under ask? 20%?

Nah that's just normal negotiating. 'Lowballing' means at least 50% under to me. An offer so low that it makes me roll my eyes. I can work with a guy offering 75% because he's reasonable.
This probably depends a lot on how people price their stuff. When I sell things, I ask for about 130% of what I really think the value is. Someone who lists at 100% might be a lot more reluctant to think about a 75% offer than me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Currently journeying through Bavaria and having a great time.

Stopped off on the Romantische Strasse for some lunch.

Stopped off at another rest spot just outside Rothenburg ob der Tauber as there were some great panoramic photo opportunities nearby.

Staying in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is an absurdly pretty town.

Today we head down some more of the Romantic Road before breaking off and heading to Munich. Fun times.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

1988 car? Emissions.

I expected that to be an issue the first time I had it done last year but it seems pre-cat test figures are stupidly lax. If anything I thought mine would clog up the sensor with oil smoke.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nah that's just normal negotiating. 'Lowballing' means at least 50% under to me. An offer so low that it makes me roll my eyes. I can work with a guy offering 75% because he's reasonable.
This probably depends a lot on how people price their stuff. When I sell things, I ask for about 130% of what I really think the value is. Someone who lists at 100% might be a lot more reluctant to think about a 75% offer than me.

I usually list things for what I want for it and then just say "firm" and don't bother with anyone offering anything below, because I price everything market reasonable.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ludicro posted:

Currently journeying through Bavaria and having a great time.

You are Doing it Right. Nice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I rent half a garage in the city. Walked in this morning to find I have a new neighbor. Makes my M3 look tiny.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don't worry, I expect it'll be at the garage most of the time.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Picked up a W124 300CE about a month ago and then promptly went away on business. Finally got to spend some time with it this last week, here it is after it's first proper wash and wax:

Manual and with an LSD, good times!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the BMW thread.

The adventure continues.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 6, 2017

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ludicro posted:

Crossposting from the BMW thread.

The adventure continues.

Nice car, sweet road trip, but most of your pictures would benefit from taking a few steps back. They look like your about to post the car up on Craigslist for sale or something.

To contribute, its always funny to start up the 300D when its been sitting for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fn0CiPN8UA

D C fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 6, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Grakkus posted:

Picked up a W124 300CE about a month ago and then promptly went away on business. Finally got to spend some time with it this last week, here it is after it's first proper wash and wax:

Manual and with an LSD, good times!

More pics of this?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

D C posted:

Nice car, sweet road trip, but most of your pictures would benefit from taking a few steps back. They look like your about to post the car up on Craigslist for sale or something.

To contribute, its always funny to start up the 300D when its been sitting for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fn0CiPN8UA

Ah, it's like that because I'm phone posting and crop the images using the phones screenshot function otherwise the pictures are massive. This is the original.

If that's better I'll use the originals from now on?

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure

My tour ride for the next three weeks. These thing are surprisingly comfortable and nimble!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just picked up this '95 Miata, and man is it clean as hell. Seriously no rust at all anywhere.
Drove it from Milwaukee back to PA, about ~850 miles, which of course rock chipped the absolute gently caress out of the hood and bumper. The paint was absolutely perfect when I left :negative:

Ordered a Dr. colorchip kit, so we'll see how that goes...

I plan to use it mainly as a fun summer car, going to fully refresh the suspension, so all bilstein dampers and all new rubber (possibly poly) bushings, wilwood brake kit, and a rollbar so I can take it to the track at some point this summer. Once I get it sorted I'm going to slap in a turbo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Voltage posted:

Just picked up this '95 Miata, and man is it clean as hell. Seriously no rust at all anywhere.
Drove it from Milwaukee back to PA, about ~850 miles, which of course rock chipped the absolute gently caress out of the hood and bumper. The paint was absolutely perfect when I left :negative:

Ordered a Dr. colorchip kit, so we'll see how that goes...

I plan to use it mainly as a fun summer car, going to fully refresh the suspension, so all bilstein dampers and all new rubber (possibly poly) bushings, wilwood brake kit, and a rollbar so I can take it to the track at some point this summer. Once I get it sorted I'm going to slap in a turbo.

Very nice looking. How many miles on it? Let me know how the suspension refresh goes because I have a 95 w/ 97k on it that I suspect would benefit from one as well. Are you going to DIY also?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I picked up a weekend car / track car. It has some no name suspension.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

what car

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
AP1 S2000. I'll post pictures of the actual car later, it's p clean but needs different wheels

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hell yeah :twisted:

Get some E88s and join good lad car crew imo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I picked up a weekend car / track car. It has some no name suspension.

Hell yeah. That's a serious swaybar setup too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

willroc7 posted:

Very nice looking. How many miles on it? Let me know how the suspension refresh goes because I have a 95 w/ 97k on it that I suspect would benefit from one as well. Are you going to DIY also?

I thought the suspension on my old NA was shot. Then I drove the MX-5 RF and it turns out brand new ones also feel like that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

If you zoom in on the top of the mountain, you can see the Eagles Nest. Which is sadly closed, but this was as close as we could get.

Probably worth making a thread chronicling all the adventures over the last couple of weeks than filling up this one maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Would bang