Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Early Nip/Tuck was really different and great for its time. That first season blew me away. Don't remember when I bowed out, but I do remember the serial killer siblings. Later stuff on that show was definitely a red flag about flaws Ryan Murphy has. And I'm always bummed that Dylan Walsh and Julian McMahon didn't go on to do better stuff. McMahon got to be a mediocre Dr.Doom twice, but that's about it :(

feedmyleg posted:

...I had a massive crush on Mary-Louise Parker.

Me too my friend. Me too. Especially West Wing Parker. But that still has never been enough for me to want to watch Weeds despite many women recommending it.

Rhyno posted:

In for Marc Maron.

Same.

Shageletic posted:

Why was his show so mediocre? I liked it when Pete Holmes was on, if anyone could direct me to those eps it would be appreciated.

I think he was trying to ape his friend Louis too much, and in doing so it never got to be it's own thing in his own voice. And it tried to be like the basic parts of Louis, not the avant garde parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

Hahaha, what? Everything I read about Weeds makes me glad I quit watching it after the third season, where it should have ended.
If it's anything like those early seasons, I bet they try to frame things as though the audience should view Nancy as a hero through all this poo poo too.

Which one of her kids became a serial killer?!

The one thing I'll say in Weeds favor post S3 is that they gradually stop justifying her behavior and instead make it a whole point of the show that her family basically hates her for constantly loving up their lives and everyone who meets her recognizes she's a toxic force of nature. They just start establishing that no one can walk away because Mary Louise Parker is so drat hot they can't resist her. Including her youngest son who has a plotline where he jerks off to her.

Not surprisingly hes also the one who goes killer, although I probably overdid it by calling him a serial killer because I think he only killed one person and then his family kept stopping him from killing more.

Edit:. Middle son. I forgot she had a baby with the Cartel guy.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't stand Mary Louise Parker. I find her horribly obnoxious. I've only seen her in Weeds and RED/RED2 and consider her easily the worst part of all 3 things. Maybe she's good in other stuff. I have no idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Me too my friend. Me too. Especially West Wing Parker. But that still has never been enough for me to want to watch Weeds despite many women recommending it.
The first three seasons are legit good. And the third season finale is a very satisfying series finale. It's just that they then undid any good to keep making seasons as an excuse to put Parker in sex scenes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: The first 3 seasons are not any good. Every character is a moron, and not in a funny way. In a way ranging from "how did they possibly get this far in life" to "wow, they are a genuinely terrible person with no redeeming qualities". And the the plot is just like, a flimsy chain of events subject to whims of these characters being idiots. Like, every problem that happens in the show is because one or more people did the stupidest possible thing. So you would think it would be some kind of great comedy of errors, but the story keeps being framed as though we're supposed to be sympathetic to their plight.

Like, here's an actual plot that happened: My girlfriend is going to go away to college and leave me. I will poke a hole in a condom and get her pregnant so that she will stay with me! She got pregnant and freaked out. I will text her with like a 100 suggestions for baby names. Oh no, her parents are helping her get an abortion and they all hate me! what the gently caress!?

Wacky fun times.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Snak posted:

I feel like an almost decent season of Sherlock could be made by taking the best episode from each season. If you did this with most shows, you'd end up with a disproportionately short season, but in this case, you'd actually get a longer season than any real season.

I've thought about trying to see if you could make one good season of The Simpsons by just taking the good episodes from season 14-today, but every time I start to look I just get depressed and stop.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, to each their own but I think the first three seasons of Weeds is a mostly funny story of a woman grieving her husband who wrestles with the gradual realization that the risks she takes to support her family are really selfish thrill seeking.

Or I guess you could just watch Orange is the New Black since typing that out it occurs to me it's the same show.

But comedy is highly subjective so if you don't like it you don't like it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Except that Wentworth on Netflix is the better womens prison show by far.
(Prisoner: Cell Block H 'remake')

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, she lives in a giant house worth probably a million dollars and instead of getting a job she decides to sell like an ounce of weed to 5 people to "support her lifestyle". But she doesn't even know there are different kinds of weed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I think the entire point of her story is that she justifies selling weed by saying it's about supporting her family but eventually it becomes pretty clear that not only did she never really try another way but she's doing it to feed her thrill seeking/libido/grief. The first three seasons keep her sympathetic enough in that regard with the grief and seeming concern for her kids that it works for me, where after that she's just a selfish rear end in a top hat.

She's basically a sexy Walter White in terms of lying to herself about why she's doing it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

feedmyleg posted:

Got good? That's a very strange perspective. The general consensus for those who like it is that Season 1 and 2 were great, and in season 3 it kinda hit a wall by the end. Then it was all garbage after.

I loved the first two seasons, but there's a very, very good chance that it's because I had a massive crush on Mary-Louise Parker. But even that couldn't keep me on board after 3. It was never some high-mark of television, but it was a bunch of fun. It was a perfect companion piece to Californication, which I felt had very similar strengths and flaws at the time.

Snak posted:

I also found Californication to be unwatchable despite loving Duchovny from X-Files. Add Dexter to that list and I've sworn off Showtime shows made after 2000.

Admittedly, I've never seen the first two seasons and probably should go back and watch them, but Californication was fun until about Season 5 (hey, there's another show Natalie Zea bailed on Justified for!) or 6, at which point it turned into "This is a show about lovely people, their lovely families, lovely friends, lovely lives, and lovely jobs. Oh, and gently caress you, Becca". Then Season 7 came and it was "Why is this even on anymore?".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

RE the WGA strike, this is the tweet I saw a while back:

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/845712200887087104

and this is the current news:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/wga-sends-strike-warning-letter-to-ad-buyers-as-upfronts-loom-1202062086/

Further negotiations begin on Monday.

Found a link to this trailer through that article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZRadM06zo

Probably the worst I've seen in a while. Just so badly thought out.

edit: produced by Jim Carrey, premiering in a couple of weeks in France of all places, gonna be showing on Showtime.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don Rickles passed away :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

It's the second one.

"Good" in this case being a relative term just because it's nowhere near the utter-poo poo level of the other two episodes.

Well this is one reboot I would have never expected. I remember watching the original GLOW when I was a kid and not being able to tell whether it was supposed to be comedic or played straight.

STAC Goat posted:

The first three seasons are legit good. And the third season finale is a very satisfying series finale. It's just that they then undid any good to keep making seasons as an excuse to put Parker in sex scenes.

There was nothing good about the U-Turn arc.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 6, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shageletic posted:

Found a link to this trailer through that article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZRadM06zo

Probably the worst I've seen in a while. Just so badly thought out.

edit: produced by Jim Carrey, premiering in a couple of weeks in France of all places, gonna be showing on Showtime.

Fuuuuuuuuck. I already know I'm going to watch this because I'm a comedy nerd, but I bet it'll suffer Studio 60 Syndrome. As in the in-universe comedy performances won't be as funny as they're portrayed to be. I saw Dylan Baker as a Johnny Carson stand-in though, so that's cool.

Edit: Also, I'd like a moratorium on things using Blinded By The Light please. Thank you.

X-O posted:

Appropriate after the above, but drat it. He was quite the legend.

raditts posted:

Well this is one reboot I would have never expected. I remember watching the original GLOW when I was a kid and not being able to tell whether it was supposed to be comedic or played straight.

Wow. I had no idea that it was a reboot. I don't even remember the original at all.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 6, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wow. I had no idea that it was a reboot. I don't even remember the original at all.

This appears to be a fictional (or biographical with a lot of exaggerated elements) show about the castng and making of the original GLOW, which stood for Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_Ladies_of_Wrestling

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yep. It used to come on one of the local UHF stations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_Ladies_of_Wrestling

According to that article it seems like it was "real" (as far as pro-wrestling goes) but also had comedy sketches, so I guess that explains my confusion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyxjEuFfxV0

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. I already know I'm going to watch this because I'm a comedy nerd, but I bet it'll suffer Studio 60 Syndrome. As in the in-universe comedy performances won't be as funny as they're portrayed to be. I saw Dylan Baker as a Johnny Carson stand-in though, so that's cool.

Edit: Also, I'd like a moratorium on things using Blinded By The Light please. Thank you.

Appropriate after the above, but drat it. He was quite the legend.

Yeah, a comedy series should really be as serious, dour, and full of itself, showing the real suffering of ARTISTS talking about farts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, a comedy series should really be as serious, dour, and full of itself, showing the real suffering of ARTISTS talking about farts

I'm trying to understand how that's a reply to what Longbaugh01 said but I'm failing.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Lurdiak posted:

I'm trying to understand how that's a reply to what Longbaugh01 said but I'm failing.

Yeah I don't get it either. That's not what I was saying at all. Maybe they're not familiar with the Studio 60 thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Pierce Brosnan has a new show that's airing on AMC this Saturday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwJLfJcOfA
Looks like it could be interesting but AMC has blow the potential of good leads before (Low Winter Sun.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

muscles like this! posted:

So Pierce Brosnan has a new show that's airing on AMC this Saturday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwJLfJcOfA
Looks like it could be interesting but AMC has blow the potential of good leads before (Low Winter Sun.)

Sepinwall said it suuuuuuucked. And he had actually read the book it's based on and loved it.

He also said Brosnan's attempts at a Texan accent are the worst he's ever heard iirc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm agreeing with him? That's exactly what happened with Studio 60?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Sepinwall said it suuuuuuucked. And he had actually read the book it's based on and loved it.

That's usually how it goes when you've read the books first.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shageletic posted:

I'm agreeing with him? That's exactly what happened with Studio 60?

Oh ok. I mean I got the sarcasm but maybe the phrasing made it sound like a dig.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

IRQ posted:

That's usually how it goes when you've read the books first.

Yeah, but reading Sepinwall over the years I don't think he'd be the type to let that affect his review. I just mentioned it because he was familiar with the source material and enjoyed the characters, setting, and plot, but did not enjoy the show at all, and in my eyes that must mean it's pretty bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

For anyone who enjoyed the original, the Prisonbreak miniseries or whatever it's meant to be started out awesome.

e: while I'm generally off topic, Top Gear is good again this season, really good even. If you dropped it while that shitlord Chris Evans was hosting give this season a shot, they stopped trying to have 12 hosts and cut it down to 3, who actually seem to have some genuine chemistry.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot too. It got shitted on in reviews, but did those people even watch Prison Break? It's pretty much season 1.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot too. It got shitted on in reviews, but did those people even watch Prison Break? It's pretty much season 1.

I like how practically one of the first lines of it was acknowledging how ridiculous the situation was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't take Pierce Brosnan seriously with his beard. He looks too much like Gerry Adams.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The more ridiculous, the better the show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The way Sepinwall has been writing about iZombie's improvement this season (of an already good show) makes me really eager to get on it.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Oh ok. I mean I got the sarcasm but maybe the phrasing made it sound like a dig.

I'm that kid in Simpsons who's so sarcastic that he doesn't even know if they're being ironic anymore, so no worries on that front.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

IRQ posted:

If you dropped it while that shitlord Chris Evans was hosting give this season a shot, they stopped trying to have 12 hosts and cut it down to 3, who actually seem to have some genuine chemistry.

This certainly can't be the Chris Evans I'm thinking of. I didn't know there was another one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

This certainly can't be the Chris Evans I'm thinking of. I didn't know there was another one.

Yeah, there is some British Chris Evans, which makes any news about Top Gear really confusing if you don't know that.

Also, Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell is back and this week's episode had a really great fake meta bit where actors refused to wear the demon make up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Babylon 5 is now on that go90 app on Verizon phones. So I guess I'll be watching the entirety of it on my phone now.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-call-saul-review-season-three-gus-fring-breaking-bad-recap/2/

Sepinwall has seen the first 2 episodes of Better Call Saul S3 and says it's great and Gus Fring (I assume we all know this but spoilering just in case.) fits in just fine.

GreenNight posted:

Babylon 5 is now on that go90 app on Verizon phones. So I guess I'll be watching the entirety of it on my phone now.

....welp I guess it's at least streaming on something. It always makes me sad that there's less of a chance of people discovering it or rediscovering it because of that. :(

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

STAC Goat posted:

On a similar topic, I was binging Shameless recently which was a really dumb idea. I hit some wall in Season 6 where I had to just stop because it was too much. I've spent a couple of weeks now looking at it on my Netflix "Continue Watching" and passing it over for something else lighter. Some shows just aren't meant for binging or multiple re-watches.

Is it at least worth a watch? I thought I heard about it from others which is why I started watching the first episode but..haven't really gone back to it or had any enthusiasm to go back to it. It's just there in the queue.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

TV Zombie posted:

Is it at least worth a watch? I thought I heard about it from others which is why I started watching the first episode but..haven't really gone back to it or had any enthusiasm to go back to it. It's just there in the queue.

How much do you like people in lovely situations continually loving up and making their lives a million times worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, there is some British Chris Evans, which makes any news about Top Gear really confusing if you don't know that.

Yeah, sorry, not Captain America, the british one who sucks.

• Locked thread