Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Solvent posted:

A lovely snipe at people who voted for Jill Stein...

gently caress you Bill.
My vote for president didn't matter.
California was called for Clinton months in advance.

If I could go back to November I'd change my vote to Bernie since nothing matters in NY when it comes to presidential elections.

But still, lol at voting for Stein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Matt Zerella posted:

If I could go back to November I'd change my vote to Bernie since nothing matters in NY when it comes to presidential elections.

But still, lol at voting for Stein.

That's what I did in California. The state certified him as a valid write-in, and :lol::lol::lol: Jill Stein.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I voted for Hillary in California because I was worried about Hillary winning the electoral college but Trump getting the popular vote.:smith:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's what I did in California. The state certified him as a valid write-in, and :lol::lol::lol: Jill Stein.

Well yeah, she's a hippie who sings poorly and questions the efficacy of vaccines, but Clinton was just as complicit in the DNC shenanigans as Trump is regarding Russian involvement.

Bernie was out, and valid write in or not, it seemed better to try and get the Green Party more funding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Solvent posted:

Well yeah, she's a hippie who sings poorly and questions the efficacy of vaccines, but Clinton was just as complicit in the DNC shenanigans as Trump is regarding Russian involvement.

Bernie was out, and valid write in or not, it seemed better to try and get the Green Party more funding.

I'd be down for giving the Green Party funding if they did more than only give a poo poo about presidential elections.

Luckily Hillary and Schumer got my vote under the Working Families ticket here so they can get more funding since they're cool and good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd be down for giving the Green Party funding if they did more than only give a poo poo about presidential elections.

I vote for downticket greens just because I hate our lovely 2 party system but hell if I was voting for Stein. I voted Hillary in the end even though it's not like my vote matters in Maryland, she was a safer win here than even California. Perhaps I should have voted for Bernie or forever shamed myself and wrote in Harambe but I was genuinely scared of, well, this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

All states should have fusion voting. It was an extremely small way for me to say gently caress you to the democrats and help a smaller party but not throw my vote away.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol if your state legally recognizes third parties other than libertarians

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Working Families Party is extremely good unlike libertarians who are extremely bad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

It doesn't matter here, because every non-establishment Democrat is actually a Libertarian.

The crazy man on the bus who wanted me to vote for him instead of our incumbent Senator in the primary wasn't just a nutcase, but a bootstrapping nutcase.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Matt Zerella posted:

Or even just field a viable candidate. I don't actually think Stein would have been worse than Trump, but it's a valid debate.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Propaganda Machine posted:

Or even just field a viable candidate. I don't actually think Stein would have been worse than Trump, but it's a valid debate.

I'm inclined to agree. She didn't stand for anything. She just pandered to whoever asked her a question. And her vaccine stance is heinous to me doubly so since she's apparently a doctor.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I used to think Jill Stein was unqualified due to her extremely limited government experience but Trump has lowered the bar so much I'd probably be fine with it if she won somehow.

Not Gary Johnson though.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It's like you guys have taken the Reddit memes about candidates and turned them into your own views instead of actually reading their stances yourself. Good job.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Super Deuce posted:

It's like you guys have taken the Reddit memes about candidates and turned them into your own views instead of actually reading their stances yourself. Good job.

Stein and Johnson were loving terrible is a meme?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Having the right stances is easy, it's having relevant experience that shows you both understand the ins-and-outs of the job and can handle the pressure that is difficult. Neither of them would be much better than Trump in that regard.

I know the "what is Aleppo?" thing became a meme but it seems pretty likely that his ignorance of very important and basic things, things a president should know, went way beyond that.

The third parties do not attract viable candidates because they aren't viable parties.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

I used to think Jill Stein was unqualified due to her extremely limited government experience but Trump has lowered the bar so much I'd probably be fine with it if she won somehow.

there was a brief bit on chapo a while back about how trump's basically permanently tarnished the notion of respecting the office

we're never gonna get the smell of hardee's out of the oval office furniture

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm inclined to agree. She didn't stand for anything. She just pandered to whoever asked her a question. And her vaccine stance is heinous to me doubly so since she's apparently a doctor.

Don't forget WiFi poisoning our minds.

And the Green party being against the greenest thing there is is unconscionable to me, nuclear power is the only way we meet our energy demands cleanly.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol the lapd didn't get any better post-consent decree

the same lapd that emptied several magazines into some random lady's truck during the manhunt for chris dorner that didn't even remotely match the description of his vehicle

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Oh God, another episode. Who were the guests?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Matt Zerella posted:

Stein and Johnson were loving terrible is a meme?

Like this.

IRQ posted:

Don't forget WiFi poisoning our minds.

And the Green party being against the greenest thing there is is unconscionable to me, nuclear power is the only way we meet our energy demands cleanly.

That's not what she said about WiFi, and nuclear energy science isn't questioned. It's the companies being questioned, and that the risk if they cut corners is far too great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

:allears:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Even if that wasn't the exact thing she said about wifi, what about her statement regarding it wasn't completely ridiculous?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I've been very disappointed this season, but I give credit where its due. This week's was better than its been in a while.

Only one joke bombed that he blamed on sensitive liberals, and one Cawwsbee joke (its the new OJ). The guests were fine, I liked the Columbia professor at the beginning and the Bill's representative Ted Lieu. I agreed with her, but Ana Navarro's "sassy Latina" schtick is getting tiresome. Even Chelsea Handler was alright.

No show next week since he's taking Good Friday off, for religulous reasons I suppose...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

Oh God, another episode. Who were the guests?

evan mcmuffin, ana navarro, ted liu, and chelsea handler

jelani cobb was the interview guest

not much happened except navarro decided she's cool with trump because he fired missiles at syria

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Jesus, Bill had Evan McMullin AND that fat chick on tonight? After having on Roger Stone and loving Rick Santorum last week?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Alienwarehouse posted:

Jesus, Bill had Evan McMullin AND that fat chick on tonight? After having on Roger Stone and loving Rick Santorum last week?

Came here to find out if it was worth watching tonight's episode. Sounds like no.

This pandering idiot is desperate. He claims it's for open dialogue, but not everyone deserves a loving platform. Not every issue needs both sides when one is clearly sociopathic and wrong.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Shadow posted:

Came here to find out if it was worth watching tonight's episode. Sounds like no.

This pandering idiot is desperate. He claims it's for open dialogue, but not everyone deserves a loving platform. Not every issue needs both sides when one is clearly sociopathic and wrong.

The worse thing about Trump is how he unwittingly made other equally reprehensible pieces of republican poo poo like Evan McMullin and Rick Santorum seem reasonable in the eyes of the media by comparison. Does Maher know that these shitheads literally want to abolish social programs as well? Does he know that these two still want to outlaw abortion and gay marriage? Or expand the "rights of corporations?"

gently caress man.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Alienwarehouse posted:

The worse thing about Trump is how he unwittingly made other equally reprehensible pieces of republican poo poo like Evan McMullin and Rick Santorum seem reasonable in the eyes of the media by comparison. Does Maher know that these shitheads literally want to abolish social programs as well? Does he know that these two still want to outlaw abortion and gay marriage? Or expand the "rights of corporations?"

gently caress man.

This poo poo can wait until after both sides together destroy the white nationalists who want to enact state sanctioned culture war.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

This poo poo can wait until after both sides together destroy the white nationalists who want to enact state sanctioned culture war.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are no moderate republicans. They all want to abolish the welfare state along with providing endless, perpetual war. None of them deserve to be given platforms.

Alienwarehouse fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 8, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's a line between crony capitalists backed by libertarians and populist fascism backed by white nationalism. Get rid of the latter first, then deal with the former.

Getting rid of the latter SHOULD be easy. Donald Trump is the only person at the moment who is wealthy enough and famous enough that he can be elected President while holding such fringe views. That won't be the case if opposition bandwidth is spent arguing the usual issues. Instead of fighting a legislative change that can simply be rolled back in a few years, let's stay focused that our President has maniacal tendencies like recalling delusional events and suggesting religious tests for refugees.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

There's a line between crony capitalists backed by libertarians and populist fascism backed by white nationalism. Get rid of the latter first, then deal with the former.

Getting rid of the latter SHOULD be easy. Donald Trump is the only person at the moment who is wealthy enough and famous enough that he can be elected President while holding such fringe views. That won't be the case if opposition bandwidth is spent arguing the usual issues. Instead of fighting a legislative change that can simply be rolled back in a few years, let's stay focused that our President has maniacal tendencies like recalling delusional events and suggesting religious tests for refugees.

It's quite amusing how you imply that Trump is the first republican who wants to start a "state sanctioned" culture war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there was a brief bit on chapo a while back about how trump's basically permanently tarnished the notion of respecting the office

my coworker said to me "i have to respect him due to the office" and i said to her respect is earned not given and nobody's gonna respect the loving office anymore.

Craptacular! posted:

they're one and the same. the republican party became crazy crony capitalist virtually the same time it became a white nationalist party.

trump is the logical outcome of the southern strategy, he's not some aberration. the republican party has spent the past sixty years creating the environment for someone like him to be elected.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 8, 2017

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, McM and Navarro were insufferable and smug---so much revisionist history and purposefully setting a low bar on the whole tonight and OT only deepened the lot.

Oh, and just in case you hoped the streak would abate with the break--- SE Cupp will be on upon the return.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

ExiledTinkerer posted:

\
SE Cupp will be on upon the return.

what the gently caress is her appeal?

And where the hell is Cornell West?

I still say this was one of the better shows this season, and I loving hate this season. Maybe its because Bill wasn't yelling at the audience, unless I missed something.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Personally I find his faux progressivism to be insufferable. This last season made me lose a lot of respect for the man.

Also, the new remake for the intro sucks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gimmedaroot posted:

what the gently caress is her appeal?

And where the hell is Cornell West?

I still say this was one of the better shows this season, and I loving hate this season. Maybe its because Bill wasn't yelling at the audience, unless I missed something.

S.E. Cupp gets invited so Bill can flirt with her the same way he does whenever he lets Coulter spew her bile on his show. It's an "aren't you precious" ploy.

Oliver is eating his lunch by putting up the main topic to his show each week for an international audience to consume freely, while he's farming desperately on Friday for soundbites that, at best, might find their way onto Sunday early-morning political discussion shows before being lost in the noise of the following week.

My guess is that Maher's only around because HBO really likes the occasionally good optics VICE gives them (when they aren't constantly doing weed stories) and Maher's threatened that if they get rid of him, that he'll take his "news network" with him.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
We don't need another Real Time. We just need John Oliver's show to a) go a full hour, b) run twice a week.

b is optional.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Shadow posted:

We don't need another Real Time. We just need John Oliver's show to a) go a full hour, b) run twice a week.

b is optional.

And for Oliver to stop trying to do comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
John Oliver's comedy is better than Bill Maher's, at least. I find most Last Week Tonight episodes to be really funny, while I rarely laugh with Bill even when I agree with him, which is about 99% of the time.