Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

Why do they need to announce something fast? We know vega will come out and the top end won't beat the 1080ti or the titan XpP and amd just releashed ryzen so all their driver programmers are busy over there.

I don't know, just the lack of competition, it's getting tiresome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know, just the lack of competition, it's getting tiresome

There is at the mid teir with the 480/1060 just not high end or super high end. This really only been the case since what the 900 series?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This sort of makes sense if the Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 3584-core is out of production, but if not... :psyboom:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Titan ME

:gonk:

But really they should've called it the Titan XL.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

re: 1060 chat

As a 1060 6G owner, when this thing runs to over 2GHz with a 9GHz memory clock, it's still quite capable at 1440p.

I still want to get a used 1080 later this year just because, but claiming that it's not sufficient for beyond 1080p is just rubbish.

2560x1440 at 60Hz? Sure. 3440x1440 at 100Hz (the thing the person was asking about)? No.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
In my experience Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are both quite playable on a 6GB 1060 at 4K 60Hz/medium detail, and a lot of games just a few years old have no problem at higher detail. WoW is not exactly a new game as much as a 15 years running stack of updates, but it's pretty smooth at 4K 7/10 detail.

Of course, in a lot of games 4k/medium is not unambiguously better looking than 1080p/ultra but the option is there.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 7, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

metallicaeg posted:

re: 1060 chat

As a 1060 6G owner, when this thing runs to over 2GHz with a 9GHz memory clock, it's still quite capable at 1440p.

I still want to get a used 1080 later this year just because, but claiming that it's not sufficient for beyond 1080p is just rubbish.

but you see games become unplayable beneath 200 frames per second at 4K on three monitors

:goonsay:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This sort of makes sense if the Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 3584-core is out of production, but if not... :psyboom:

I'd assume they are all going into 1080Ti cards now and the new Titans are all the full P6000 chips they aren't putting into a P6000.

But either way, lots of expensive chips that makes anyone who got a first run Titan XP sort of burned, even though they had 1080Ti performance for what? 6 months before the 1080Ti came out?

The cost of being "First" I guess.

I knew they wouldn't be able to resist in some way this generation and lo and behold, there is the uncut beast chip...

I feel that Volta is going to be what 700 series Kepler was to the 500/600 series. It's going to make the previous two look downright old in comparison, but for now, they have all the time in the world to stretch out the 10XX series as AMD has no competition unless Vega happens to hit them right around the 1080/Ti mark.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Horrible naming aside, newer tech being faster isn't exactly a new concept. Nvidia obviously released it a good reason which is yet to be determined.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'd assume they are all going into 1080Ti cards now and the new Titans are all the full P6000 chips they aren't putting into a P6000.

...which kind of begs the question: How badly did they screw up forecasting that they have spare P6000 chips to make Titan XP SP1s out of?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...which kind of begs the question: How badly did they screw up forecasting that they have spare P6000 chips to make Titan XP SP1s out of?

I wouldn't say they have "spare" as they just know the Supply/Demand enough to keep up with both cards.

This late in the game, they probably have more uncut cores coming out flawless than before, and heck we also have the revamped mobile line coming next that is supposed to be even more power savings as well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

EdEddnEddy posted:

But either way, lots of expensive chips that makes anyone who got a first run Titan XP sort of burned, even though they had 1080Ti performance for what? 6 months before the 1080Ti came out?

That's literally what you buy with Titan money (and actually with any video card purchase).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I understand that, just makes you wonder why some people would keep doing it after seeing it happen with the OG Titan lol.

But when you have more $ than patience, I guess it's for exactly that, and Nvidia wouldn't keep doing it if they weren't making $$$ hand over fist.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

EdEddnEddy posted:

But when you have more $ than patience, I guess it's for exactly that

That's it, really.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Eletriarnation posted:

In my experience Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are both quite playable on a 6GB 1060 at 4K 60Hz/medium detail

But why would you want to play Witcher 3 on medium, that's missing out. :(

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I watched a friend play horizon zero dawn the other day and it's the first time I've ever been impressed with console graphics, pretty impressive what they did with what would be poo poo-tier hardware by PC standards. Too bad they probably aren't gonna port it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

I watched a friend play horizon zero dawn the other day and it's the first time I've ever been impressed with console graphics, pretty impressive what they did with what would be poo poo-tier hardware by PC standards. Too bad they probably aren't gonna port it.

Great game, but the whole time I played I was wishing it was on my PC instead.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Jan posted:

But why would you want to play Witcher 3 on medium, that's missing out. :(

I don't, I play it on 1080p/ultra because it's smoother. There are other games where I'd prefer the resolution though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Uhhh can I get some advice

So I installed this new 1080 Ti, and I wanted to use my old 970 for PhysX(red light), but the auxiliary power connector doesn't have enough plugs for the second card...

It's a Maximus Hero VII motherboard, anyone know? Maybe it doesn't support two graphics cards for this new generation or something? Or what should I do, when I had twin 970's the connectors were just enough.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's a bunch of obvious ways to do this, but the best advice I can give you is to NOT use a second video card for physix. Sell it for a buck fifty.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jago posted:

There's a bunch of obvious ways to do this, but the best advice I can give you is to NOT use a second video card for physix. Sell it for a buck fifty.

I'd like to try it at least, before selling it, to see the difference (if any) :(

I donated one of the two 970s I had, but I wanted to try the difference with a 1080 Ti + 970 for physX.

Can I do this with this Motherboard or not? Halp

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's a Maximus Hero VII motherboard, anyone know? Maybe it doesn't support two graphics cards for this new generation or something? Or what should I do, when I had twin 970's the connectors were just enough.

This is a function of your power supply, not your motherboard. You'd have to check the rails and stuff but you might be able to get away with an adapter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

This is a function of your power supply, not your motherboard. You'd have to check the rails and stuff but you might be able to get away with an adapter.

Yeah, an adapter might be the best option short of replacing the PSU.

Also, you clearly need more LEDs in that case. The inside of a computer should look like a Shadowrun city block.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 8, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

If your power supply only has 1 8-pin it probably isn't enough to run both cards at the same time.

Having a physx card does almost nothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nZWEekm9c

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the help guys

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, an adapter might be the best option short of replacing the PSU.

I got a Coolermaster 850W silent pro M2 power supply, that's probably enough right?
Could you point me to the type of adapter I need to buy? If I understand this right, I just plug the adapter into the pins and I'm good to go...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also, you clearly need more LEDs in that case. The inside of a computer should like a Shadowrun city block.

Excuse me I am an adult. Now help me get this poo poo running so I can play my Batman videogame

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Thanks for the help guys

I got a Coolermaster 850W silent pro M2 power supply, that's probably enough right?
Could you point me to the type of adapter I need to buy? If I understand this right, I just plug the adapter into the pins and I'm good to go...

Your power supply is semi-modular and should have come with multiple PCIe 6+2-pin or eight-pin cables that have plugs on both ends. You shouldn't need a separate adapter so long as you still have that modular cabling somewhere.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

TheJeffers posted:

Your power supply is semi-modular and should have come with multiple PCIe 6+2-pin or eight-pin cables that have plugs on both ends. You shouldn't need a separate adapter so long as you still have that modular cabling somewhere.
Yup. Coolermaster says that power supply can offer SIX PCIe 6+2pin connectors. So as long as he can find the extra cables that came with the PSU he has more than enough http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/silent-pro-m2/silent-pro-m2-850w/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yup. Coolermaster says that power supply can offer SIX PCIe 6+2pin connectors. So as long as he can find the extra cables that came with the PSU he has more than enough http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/silent-pro-m2/silent-pro-m2-850w/

Amazing, I found the box and it's full of freakin cables, I can't believe I kept this it's like 3 years old

Thanks guys, problem solved? I'll try to figure this out on the weekend, for now I wanna play and run some benchmarks on Friday night like the cool guy that I am

eames
May 9, 2009

Correct branding on the fan shroud? Nah. :effort:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

eames posted:

Correct branding on the fan shroud? Nah. :effort:

only paid 1000+ dollars.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

NVIDIA GTX Titan Ti :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Aesculus posted:

Rumored to be unveiled at computex in may

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Rumored to be unveiled at computex in may

The Titan Xp Ti Black Z will be released 1 month afterwards for the same price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Uhhh can I get some advice

I thought this was a Mass Effect Andromeda screen shot for a second with the lens flares.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Amazing, I found the box and it's full of freakin cables, I can't believe I kept this it's like 3 years old

Thanks guys, problem solved? I'll try to figure this out on the weekend, for now I wanna play and run some benchmarks on Friday night like the cool guy that I am

Wow rub it in. Next you're tell us all about how you did that while wearing a comfy fleece garment of some sort too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816385

Should we pull together an intervention for this poor soul ?

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 9, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Where does GFE save the downloaded driver files that are used for install? They used to be in C:\ but they seem to have moved the location. Can't install new drivers because GFE says they're broken so I want to redownload them.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SinineSiil posted:

Where does GFE save the downloaded driver files that are used for install? They used to be in C:\ but they seem to have moved the location. Can't install new drivers because GFE says they're broken so I want to redownload them.

Just download the installer from website?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Aesculus posted:

GTX TiTi

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GTX TiTan

E: vvv GTX SLItan Ti

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 9, 2017