Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Dark Matter and Wynonna Earp return June 9th and Killjoys June 30th.

Killjoys is such a 90s SciFi show and I love it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

swickles posted:

I am rewatching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and holy poo poo, the episode Disaster Show might be one of the funniest things Sorkin has ever written.

The crazy thing about the disaster show being so good is that literally none of the three leads are in it. It was a super cheap bottle episode because by that point they were so over budget.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finished up the first season of Banshee, pretty solid. The family drama was weak, and the actress playing the daughter is awful.

Also, every time Kai does kung-fu all I see is Niles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I binged Dark Matter awhile back and I didn't love it or anything but I was impressed at how dedicated it was to burning through stories. Like, another show probably could have gotten like 5 seasons of stories from its first 1 or 2.

Killjoys is fun and a nice throwback. I don't love sci-fi but it keeps my interest with the whole cowboy/pirate thing and it kind of keeps the sci-fi elements pretty simple in that they could work in another genre with some very minor tweaks.

I'm binging Wynonna Earp right now and I'm not sure what to think. It starts out really terrible and cheap but either it gets better as it goes on or just finds a better balance of its good and bad. I'm reserving judgment until I finish the season and I have a few episodes to go, but everything feels like its like 1 level too over the top or something. I feel like if this had been made on a better network it could have been a lot better.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Completely agree on that Wynonna Earp summary. I don't know, I feel like the first couple of episodes, a lot of them felt fresh out of acting classes, so they didn't know how to feed off other actors or emote a certain way. It gets better over time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Biggest problem with Killjoys is that's it's soul numbing boring, cliches wrapped up in tropes; and the lead actress is horribly miscast. Every minute watching it made me hate life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Says you. I think it's a tremendous amount of fun.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just want Freeform to bring back The Middleman.

Holy poo poo, I've found the only other person on Earth (besides the creators and actors) that remembers The Middleman. I really liked that show and think it would work in today's superhero pastiche genre shows. It was too ahead of its time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Middleman was pretty drat good yeah

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just got done with S2 of Better Call Saul and I feel like I missed something somewhere. I have no idea why Mike was doing any of what he was doing after he got Tuco's charges reduced.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

I binged Dark Matter awhile back and I didn't love it or anything but I was impressed at how dedicated it was to burning through stories. Like, another show probably could have gotten like 5 seasons of stories from its first 1 or 2.

I swear a lot of mediocre to low-tier good shows do this to keep interest from flagging. Off the top of my head Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars and Arrow s1 did this.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Nikita too, but that's top-tier

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

I swear a lot of mediocre to low-tier good shows do this to keep interest from flagging. Off the top of my head Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars and Arrow s1 did this.

Vampire Diaries had episodes going by so fast the first two seasons. Literally, some "major character" could die one episode, come back another, then die again "permanently," only to come back into their role in the last season. You had no time to get to know some of the characters you were supposed to give a poo poo about.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And with all the resurrecting going on it also rendered character deaths completely meaningless and devoid of any emotional impact. There are other shows with that problem but TVD is definitely the most egregious example.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

less laughter posted:

And with all the resurrecting going on it also rendered character deaths completely meaningless and devoid of any emotional impact. There are other shows with that problem but TVD is definitely the most egregious example.

To be fair TVD managed to correct this by destroying it's version of heaven so that when you're dead, your are fully dead.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The point was that death in TVD lost meaning meaning in the first place, since almost every character gets resurrected or brought back otherwise a couple of episodes (or sometimes a bit longer, like with Alaric) after their "death". Whether that leads to heaven or nothing doesn't matter, since almost everybody (and sometimes multiple times) just gets brought back willy-nilly. It's just empty stunt plotting.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I feel like for all the drama Pretty Little Liars is almost the opposite. Six seasons approximately, 22 episodes a piece and just dragging on and on and on. I couldn't get more than a few episodes into season 2 because it was just more of the same blah de blah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Just got done with S2 of Better Call Saul and I feel like I missed something somewhere. I have no idea why Mike was doing any of what he was doing after he got Tuco's charges reduced.

They threatened his family, and he didn't like that. That's pretty much it. Who's to say if he could have just walked away with the money Hector gave him and never had them bother him again? Clearly he thought they weren't just gonna forget him. "No half measures".

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

cool kids inc. posted:

I feel like for all the drama Pretty Little Liars is almost the opposite. Six seasons approximately, 22 episodes a piece and just dragging on and on and on. I couldn't get more than a few episodes into season 2 because it was just more of the same blah de blah.

I mean yeah, at the highest level there are only three big stories (and they're all basically the same) but there's always so much bullshit happening that there's always a sense of momentum so long as you don't stop to think about it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair TVD managed to correct this by destroying it's version of heaven so that when you're dead, your are fully dead.

Even then, the whole point of the last season was Kai and Katherine's return. In fact, everyone came back for that final episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Killjoys would be awesome if not for the lead actress being uh, not a good actress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She was good in Black Mirror. Blame Canada?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

They threatened his family, and he didn't like that. That's pretty much it. Who's to say if he could have just walked away with the money Hector gave him and never had them bother him again? Clearly he thought they weren't just gonna forget him. "No half measures".

Okay, thought it was maybe that simple. It's just that with every scene, I kept thinking "What the gently caress, Mike? This is just going to bring them more trouble!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Killjoys would be awesome if not for the lead actress being uh, not a good actress.

Hmm it's almost as if she was cast for another reason!

Like I said, 90s show. Remember Xena? That being said I don't think she's the level of bad y'all are putting on her. She's wooden, sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Like I said, 90s show. Remember Xena?

Lucy Lawless was never this bad!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lucy Lawless is great. I never really watched Xena.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The lead actress doesn't bother me but I don't think anything on the show is exceptional in any way. Its just sort of there in a slightly fun but forgettable way.

Which I think is why everyone compares it to mediocre 90's syndication, but for some reason some people seem to think of that as more of a positive than it is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People were used to seeing wrestling and ghost hunters on siffy so anything is good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, Dark Matter reminds me of a 90s sci fi show a hell of a lot more than Killjoys.

I'll go ahead and admit that Killjoys reminds me a lot of Firefly if the crew had resources and operated in a somewhat official capacity. It has a lot of the same types of humor and dialog and I can understand how that's not everyone's cup of tea. It's still fun popcorn scifi and it fills a void that Defiance left.

Dark Matter is just..there. It started improving in the 2nd season a bit. It still doesn't have any idea what it wants to be and it's just really bland most of the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

Like I said, 90s show. Remember Xena? That being said I don't think she's the level of bad y'all are putting on her. She's wooden, sure.

Watch Spartacus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lucy Lawless is an actual good actress and as close to a goddess as a mortal woman can get.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bull3964 posted:

Dark Matter is just..there. It started improving in the 2nd season a bit. It still doesn't have any idea what it wants to be and it's just really bland most of the time.

You'd think a show with as good a premise a a group of the toughest hombres, hombresas (i know that's not a word), criminals, hackers, and and a super AI android on one of the galaxy's most powerful ships wouldn't be so drat boring for most of the season...

...but it looks like maybe, just maybe, we're finally getting the Them versus The Establishment war they've geared up to here and there.

(Basically, I think I want it to be the sci-fi/space opera version of Black Sails.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The writing in Dark Matter is just so abysmally terrible. Like no matter what happens, it never manages to be exciting in its execution. It's the most rote, by the numbers execution of ideas from star trek and stargate. But without any of the charm that made those work.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dark Matter at its best feels like somebody's homebrew Shadowrun campaign, complete with anachronistic sci-fi samurai, but in space and minus the elves. The show at its best is the group pulling heists, doing runs, and playing various corps against each other but there are a lot of pretty bad episodes in there.

I don't make the table-top role playing game comparison in a negative way, after all, that's what The Expanse started as.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Talk all the poo poo you want about Dark Matter but always remember that even Roger Cross has feelings.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

Talk all the poo poo you want about Dark Matter but always remember that even Roger Cross has feelings.

He's one of the only reasons I keep watching, but they've somehow managed to make him boring sometimes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So Wynonna Earp S1 ends with a motherfucking Old One! I did not see that coming.

I wasn't sure what I thought of this yesterday when I posted about it but now I think I liked it, although I still think it could have been really, really good if it was done by HBO or AMC or FX or Showtime or someone. A little better CGI, a little better acting, a little more plotting and less "Monster of the Week". It feels hamstrung by SyFy's problems and its a shame it couldn't have gotten better because there's so many interesting elements to it that I really feel like it could have been kind of a really great supernatural Justified or Deadwood or something. Something along the lines of what I'm hoping American Gods will be or maybe a little like Penny Dreadful. But it doesn't get there and it can't really shake that SyFy leash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm way behind on Wynonna Earp but it's been a pretty good success which fills me with joy as I've been friends with the creator of the character for about 15 years now and he deserves this after working in the trenches of the comic industry for so long.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch Spartacus

Season 1 of Spartacus is literally the greatest season of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Season 1 of Spartacus is literally the greatest season of television.

Nah, it has the first 2 3? episodes which kinda blow.

• Locked thread