Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Question is whether Uber will survive long enough to get up here.

Also I've always had a reasonable experience with cabs here, so I dunno. :shrug:

Uber will be fine.

Protip: Taxi's in the city, uber/lyft outside of the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/850554176404938752

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd like some Lyft in Ulster county please

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Free tuition at SUNY schools!

Happy kids won't have to go through hell with student loans like I did

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

etalian posted:

Probably also driven by people not wanting to live in such lovely cities as Rochester and Buffalo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA

hahahaha buffalo and rochester have had lovely economies for decades that haven't been sufficiently addressed!!! hahahaHAHAHA THEY'RE BAD CITIES HAHAHAHAHAHA

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

whatis posted:

hahahaHAHAHA THEY'RE BAD CITIES HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, yeah

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
it's extremely funny, to me, that poverty levels in upstate new york are more than double the national average in most places. having a big laugh here that poorly thought-out and implemented economic development initiatives have failed miserably to address longstanding deficiencies in communities just a few hours away from new york city

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

whatis posted:

it's extremely funny, to me, that poverty levels in upstate new york are more than double the national average in most places. having a big laugh here that poorly thought-out and implemented economic development initiatives have failed miserably to address longstanding deficiencies in communities just a few hours away from new york city

Hillary, Cuomo, Booker, and Schumer want you to move to that city to get a job and maybe do a tech startup so they can forgive your college debt.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

whatis posted:

No see you are supposed to be disdainful of them and talk about how NYC should secede from the useless rednecks.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The footballman who says the women are ugly is a sage and wise person and not being very rude

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

whatis posted:

I mean... isn't that most states outside of their core cities? Most of upstate seems about as bad as anywhere else in the country.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

I mean... isn't that most states outside of their core cities? Most of upstate seems about as bad as anywhere else in the country.

upstate is worse

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

binghamton is a poor miserable city even by the standards of upstate

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think Sheehan is going to win reelection:

https://twitter.com/niahammWNYT/status/850783478119628800
https://twitter.com/Sheehan4Albany/status/850783370321809409

Livestream of her announcement, strategically set up after NYS budget promised Albany the money it needed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

1: It's worse than average

2: There's nothing more emblematic of the failure of Dem/Libs than their absence anywhere other than NYC and how they've failed to really do anything to make most of the state much better economically.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

uncurable mlady posted:

upstate ny is worse than most of the rest of the country, though i think west virginia and where i currently live in southern oregon might beat even upstate ny out

like unless you're in saratoga springs or the tech parts of albany or a few, very few other select locations, poo poo is dire

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like, you don't know how bad poo poo can get until you've driven through amsterdam

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whatis posted:

hahahaha buffalo and rochester have had lovely economies for decades that haven't been sufficiently addressed!!! hahahaHAHAHA THEY'RE BAD CITIES HAHAHAHAHAHA

At least it's not Detroit!!!

I have to occasionally visit Rochester for work so I can experience a small slice of rust belt life.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I mean my comparison point is Kentucky so I guess that throws it off.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Kentucky is being driven into walls at high speeds, so... yeah I think that's a bit off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grondoth posted:

Kentucky is being driven into walls at high speeds, so... yeah I think that's a bit off.

Better bourbon to take the edge off, though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So it sounds like Cumo got his promised 'free tuition' in the budget but I can't find any description anywhere of how the mechanism will actually work, except that it seems to be structured as a grant to students tockver the cost (rather than just lowering the price tag) with an income threshold of 100k, to later be raised.

But I can't find the rest of the strings if any. Curious if I can get any of that sweet sweet excelsior money to go back to school.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Grondoth posted:

In fairness, I left KY before Bevin took that train off the rails... real shame, Lexington is a nice city and the state itself is beautiful. The people, ehh...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nobody knows how many people will get "free tuition." that's how you know it's good

might be over 100k, might be 32,000. who knows?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

nobody knows how many people will get "free tuition." that's how you know it's good

might be over 100k, might be 32,000. who knows?

It's me. I'm getting free tuition. Just me.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Better bourbon to take the edge off, though.

I had some 1911 apple gin lately, would recommend. Their family orchard is a few miles south of Syracuse.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Jive posted:

I had some 1911 apple gin lately, would recommend. Their family orchard is a few miles south of Syracuse.

Sweet! Will do!

Assembly passed the budget and are skipping off to late vacation:

https://twitter.com/mahoneyw/status/850818465514618881

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainPsyko posted:

But I can't find the rest of the strings if any. Curious if I can get any of that sweet sweet excelsior money to go back to school.

Yeah if NY wants to fund me going back to get an MBA that's just peachy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah as if the world needs more MBAs trying to run companies.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

uncurable mlady posted:

the state itself is beautiful. The people, ehh...

same in upstate new york, and also in new hampshire (actually new hampshire has the rudest people i've ever encountered, and i lived in fuckin new york my whole life rofl), and also same here in oregon outside of portland and ashland

rurals in vermont and (at least western) massachussettes are like the only exception to this rule that i have seen

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

EugeneJ posted:

Nah it's definitely undergrad I know that much.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it is pretty cool that i decided to stay in oregon after moving out here to finish my degree because southern oregon university is cheaper than fuckin hudson valley community college was, and now i could have just stayed there and gotten my bs for free lmfao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

financially racist posted:

same in upstate new york, and also in new hampshire (actually new hampshire has the rudest people i've ever encountered, and i lived in fuckin new york my whole life rofl), and also same here in oregon outside of portland and ashland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hXpobkojPI

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

financially racist posted:

rurals in vermont and (at least western) massachussettes are like the only exception to this rule that i have seen

NH's seatbelt laws always struck me as odd until I went there, and then it all made perfect sense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Daily Gazette with some details about the Excelsior Scholarships. Only two year/four year degrees, no grad school, for those in families making 100k a year phasing up to 125k over a couple of years. If you get a two-year degree under it you must stay in NYS two years after that, four years for a four year degree.

So no luck getting that sweet free MBA.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

far be it from me to agree with the Post, but they raise some good points about how the scholarship program sucks and stands to make student loans even worse. namely, there's a last-minute provision put in by senate republicans and supported by cuomo to require in-state jobs after college or they'll magically become loans

call this plan like it is: bullshit

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean it at least makes some sort of sense to try and keep college grads in-state to try and stave off brain drain, especially upstate

it is still not great but it also isn't the worst thing ever

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Free in-state tuition is categorically a good thing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Free in-state tuition is categorically a good thing
it's less "free in-state tuition" and more of a tuition assistance program. all the stipulations and little details favor people closer to $125k than further away from it

it's better than nothing, in the sense that wonk-fueled policy usually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm currently working with Greenpeace on a campaign to get a plastic bag ban in New York City, and the wider state if possible. We're trying to figure out the best means to implement it (outright ban, a tax on it's use, etc.) and I'd love to get y'alls thoughts on what it should be and how it could be done. I know it's a bit more of a vanity initiative compared to other issues, but it's meant to get a local victory under our belt. Plus, the city alone uses 10 billion plastic bags anually, compared to 100 billion nationwide.

I'm personally torn between the tax and outright ban. The ban would be easier to sell and harder revoke, though the revenue from the tax could be directed towards a seperate initiative that directly benefits the population.

Just to put it out there: Paper bags will still be in use. This is really only directed towards the single use plastic bags you get at stores.