Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Have you driven one? They're utter, irredeemable garbage.

Yeah most trucks built in the early 90's all drive like garbage, being JDM doesn't make them any better.

When I was stationed in Japan (89-92) we had diesel Toyota trucks (hi lux) that were completely gutless and awful to drive, and kei trucks that were loving horrible for anyone over 5 foot tall and had the powerband of a leaf blower.

No offense kakermix, but there's no way I'd drive one around in FL because I value my life and like not being crippled :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah most trucks built in the early 90's all drive like garbage, being JDM doesn't make them any better.

When I was stationed in Japan (89-92) we had diesel Toyota trucks (hi lux) that were completely gutless and awful to drive, and kei trucks that were loving horrible for anyone over 5 foot tall and had the powerband of a leaf blower.

No offense kakermix, but there's no way I'd drive one around in FL because I value my life and like not being crippled :)

:mad:

Seriously though I truly don't understand the gutless thing, even with the Tracker. When I lead off the line at every light blowing past AMGs and Maseratis it's hard to feel like I'm going slow even though I am. Also I don't commute and just drive around town.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does yours have a turbo? The 3 cyl NA trucks I drove were painfully slow.

Also not saying it wouldn't be a good car to bum around town in, I just don't trust FL drivers. I gave up motorcycles after moving here for a reason :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Does yours have a turbo? The 3 cyl NA trucks I drove were painfully slow.

Also not saying it wouldn't be a good car to bum around town in, I just don't trust FL drivers. I gave up motorcycles after moving here for a reason :(

Noway dog 3 cyl 660cc NA carbureted ~40hp get on my level

At least in my van people can see me which is more than can be said for a standard motorcycle. I understand the fear but I guess I'm young and reckless enough to drive it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you guys think qualifies as lowballing? 10% under ask? 20%?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Depends on the asking price and what i think it's worth. If it is priced well then a lowball is like 25-30% off, if they are smoking the crackpipe on pricing I really don't feel bad going like 40%. I don't feel bad about throwing out a 20% offer knowing it will be haggled back to 10%. If you're pricing without haggle in mind... well.

I also don't throw out offers until I see the thing in question, I think that is pretty dick.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

When I was stationed in Japan (89-92) we had diesel Toyota trucks (hi lux) that were completely gutless and awful to drive.

The prices for them are insane. Trucks at this point in time were very clearly just commercial vehicles with creature comforts jammed into them to make them suitable for the passenger car market. I've driven a few Toyota pickups and 4Runners from the period. They are noisy, slow, have vague steering and awful ride quality. The Previa is the only van/truck from that period that drives ok. This is coming from a guy who drives 3 early 90s cars so it's not like my standards are high either.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/6054389420.html

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
There's a whole thread, nay, person who can debunk the idea that that Honda's worth more than someone's shirt.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

The prices for them are insane. Trucks at this point in time were very clearly just commercial vehicles with creature comforts jammed into them to make them suitable for the passenger car market. I've driven a few Toyota pickups and 4Runners from the period. They are noisy, slow, have vague steering and awful ride quality. The Previa is the only van/truck from that period that drives ok. This is coming from a guy who drives 3 early 90s cars so it's not like my standards are high either.

I have a stock 88 Toyota 4x4. I love it, it goes anywhere, never breaks down, but yes, it drives like poo poo. Prob pushing 100hp at this point, no power options at all (the cig lighter was an option, not on mine), doors feel like tin cans, bench seat is uncomfortable and smells like farts (my fault). I still loving love it and poo-poo every newer steroid looking Toyota truck that costs $40k.
Paid $900 for it running 11 years ago, could get $3-4k now easy with over 230k miles.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is this something like C5 corvettes where everyone wants $18,000 for them but they are worth $10,000? Who would pay $7,000 for that honda? I mean you can buy a honda fit for that price and have 99% less chance of dying driving it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Is this something like C5 corvettes where everyone wants $18,000 for them but they are worth $10,000? Who would pay $7,000 for that honda? I mean you can buy a honda fit for that price and have 99% less chance of dying driving it.

Hagerty values a 1972 z600 in good condition at $9100. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Old cars are generally terrible at everything except being old and expensive to maintain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elephanthead posted:

Is this something like C5 corvettes where everyone wants $18,000 for them but they are worth $10,000?
Whenever I see a vette driving around (and there are tons), it's inevitably owned by a 55+ year old guy that probably has a Harley (or wants one) and think that since every other 55+ year old guy wants one, they must be worth something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Elephanthead posted:

Lots of people would pay that for that Honda. You have to be fully aware that vehicles are much more that a flat cost-vs-feature-vs-reliability. I'd much rather have that tiny Honda over a Fit because I'd most certainly enjoy myself more in it, plus all the attention and general vibes you'd get from other people while out.

Old British cars are ~universally~ terrible yet people still drive them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

Whenever I see a vette driving around (and there are tons), it's inevitably owned by a 55+ year old guy that probably has a Harley (or wants one) and think that since every other 55+ year old guy wants one, they must be worth something.

The C5 I see most often is a black one with the angriest exhaust I've ever heard; it parks in the student lot at the local JC. I doubt the driver is half that age. :shrug:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KakerMix posted:

Old British cars are ~universally~ terrible yet people still drive work on them.
Please, that MG isn't going anywhere.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
But I would drive the poo poo out of this with bonus purist head explosions http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1954-austin-healey-100-bn1-roadster/

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

KakerMix posted:

Old British cars are ~universally~ terrible yet people still drive them.

Nobody drives them. I was told I could take my old man's tr3 to my prom. That was in 2001. He's still trying to make it run.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eat This Glob posted:

Nobody drives them. I was told I could take my old man's tr3 to my prom. That was in 2001. He's still trying to make it run.

But he still has it :unsmith:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Jymmybob posted:

But I would drive the poo poo out of this with bonus purist head explosions http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1954-austin-healey-100-bn1-roadster/

Someone had a hardon for louvers. Barf.

Eat This Glob posted:

Does your dad know how to hold a screwdriver or what?

One of the things about old British cars is that they are dead stupid to work on. An underpowered push-rod 4 cylinder that they pulled out of a tractor and an extremely basic electrical system makes troubleshooting more or less pretty easy if you spend any time, or compare it to anything that's modern. Moss Motors basically gives away parts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

:mad:

Seriously though I truly don't understand the gutless thing, even with the Tracker. When I lead off the line at every light blowing past AMGs and Maseratis it's hard to feel like I'm going slow even though I am. Also I don't commute and just drive around town.

I can assure you a Geo Tracker/Suzuki Vitara is like an F1 racer when compared to a diesel 4wd Delica.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

KakerMix posted:

But he still has it :unsmith:

Yup :unsmith: I'll drive that triumph one day

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Octopus Magic posted:

Someone had a hardon for louvers. Barf.

Does your dad know how to hold a screwdriver or what?

One of the things about old British cars is that they are dead stupid to work on. An underpowered push-rod 4 cylinder that they pulled out of a tractor and an extremely basic electrical system makes troubleshooting more or less pretty easy if you spend any time, or compare it to anything that's modern. Moss Motors basically gives away parts.

Honestly it's still in a garage because his body work guy is trying to...I have no idea. It's mechanically fine as far as I know, but the engine and trans sits aside while the frame sits primered. Maybe something about the interior? It's been years since I've asked him about it. His body work guy is my body work guy and generally works quickly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

I can assure you a Geo Tracker/Suzuki Vitara is like an F1 racer when compared to a diesel 4wd Delica.

Sure but I was talking about my Acty.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Also like an F1 racer when compared to those Mitsubishi's.

It's not so much the slowness it's how they drive, the diesel revs ridiculously slowly, neither transmission is any good and they handle exactly as well as they look like they would and are mechanically fragile.

Anyway /rant I'm just butthurt because I've had to spend far too much time in various versions of those over the years.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The best bargain I've ever come across (the numberplate is randomly generated)

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 5, 2017

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Lmao at that plate

I'm a child

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The unicorn is pooping cupcakes, everyone knows they poop ice cream.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Not really sure what some people are thinking... http://www.ebay.com/itm/172615552447?forcerRptr=true&item=172615552447&viewitem=

Eagerly awaiting response

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

keykey posted:

Not really sure what some people are thinking... http://www.ebay.com/itm/172615552447?forcerRptr=true&item=172615552447&viewitem=

Eagerly awaiting response

doing the lords work friend

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Hrnggg. I'm gonna get yelled at by the wife tonight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Datsun-Z-Series-/222463665338?hash=item33cbde24ba:g:SugAAOSwhQhY5BcB&vxp=mtr
(same car)
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/6040109225.html

Hmm also in Portland.
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/6077737370.html

Meydey fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 7, 2017

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Someone is parting out two late model S600 V12 benzes. Seems pretty bizzare...surely these things are worth more as a whole than as parts? Any ideas why they'd do this?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/6071723624.html

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I doubt it, aging luxury cars are worth bugger all and there are all sorts of potential issues that would be enough to write then off

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The world's sweetest twin engine project?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/6068728715.html

This cracked me up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Network42 posted:

The world's sweetest twin engine project?

Would be interesting to see it used in a different application.

An issue with the M275 is not so much mechanical, but do to size constraints of the engine bay the intercooling isn't the greatest. Pulls like a freight train from hell though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A Lincoln Continental would be a good candidate, then.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I hastily brought this car and I love it but I want to sell this car and use the funds to open my nonprofit business.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd already have flagged it for the $1 price. Then sent a bunch of time waster emails. gently caress $1 ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'd already have flagged it for the $1 price. Then sent a bunch of time waster emails. gently caress $1 ads.

The hero we need.