Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Sign me up as a backup under Sharpe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

How its played

I do not play, I merely bare witness to the grog abyss... I will be using the full, advanced ruleset with all supplements.
I'm going to go ahead and dedicate a whole post to how play very soon.

If you need weapons that aren't in any of supplements, poke me and I should be able to whip up stats for basically any conventional firearm. I should even be able to provide you with some extra hit location tables for prone targets getting hit along the length of their body (converted from LEG's Small Arms: Spectrum) and grappling rules (converted from LEG's Rhand: Morningstar Missions).

Hell, if you want it, I should be able to send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that does to-hit and hit location rolls (with damage, disabling wounds, healing time, and critical periods).

I'm pretty knowledgeable about this system!

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 8, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Didn't know Asian mountaintop wisemen hermits get internet access.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Add me to the reserves as Blue.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rockopolis posted:

Sign me up as Roland.

Great, this means that Van Owen, that son of a bitch, should also join the reserves. Looking forward to betraying you chaps and dying for it!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LatwPIAT posted:

If you need weapons that aren't in any of supplements, poke me and I should be able to whip up stats for basically any conventional firearm. I should even be able to provide you with some extra hit location tables for prone targets getting hit along the length of their body (converted from LEG's Small Arms: Spectrum) and grappling rules (converted from LEG's Rhand: Morningstar Missions).

Hell, if you want it, I should be able to send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that does to-hit and hit location rolls (with damage, disabling wounds, healing time, and critical periods).

I'm pretty knowledgeable about this system!

Whoa that would be amazing, especially the prone hit location tables. Isn't grappling covered by Garrotte and Suffocation rules though?

Its actually funny you posted here - I used your FATAL and friends post as learning material

You were absolutely right in that the adv. rules make the game easier

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 8, 2017

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
you madman

you fuckin madman

we're all getting shot inna crotch

sign me up as Wishbone

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You're doing God's work...

Add me to the reserves as Noodle

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm in, Ex-PFC Baloogan

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Please add poo poo for Brains to the reserves list.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Please add Lt. Col. Sgt. Gen. Stolen Valor to the reserve list, where I'm sure he'll rocket to the top

Calebc789
Sep 8, 2014

You are a madman, but I hope you succeed. Atleast in the Internet age we can automate some of the number-crunching with spreadsheets and scripts.

Put me in the reserve as Maskman, a paranoid nutter who can't go outside without wearing an outdated NBC suit that may or may not actually work. Hope I get the M203.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arguably the most important part, besides the tables, of Phoenix Command are the Characters and the Equipment that they use.

This is an example character sheet. I am keeping and recording a character sheet for every active merc' in our company, how the sheet, and therefore the character, works is is that every character has a series of stats either inherent to them (physical and mental), influenced by their equipment (encumbrance, aim time, body armor, etc...), or training, experience, and qualification (the "Skill Level").

The Characteristics

To start, every characteristic ranges between 3-18, with 3 being the lowest. Why 3-18? God only knows. 3 is described as extremely poor, where 18 is described as exceptional. We aren't really given a direct comparison or correlation to what these numbers mean, except once. The rules provide an example: that a man with STR 10 can deadlift 200 pounds, a man with STR 14 can deadlift 250, and STR 18 can do 400 pounds. The difference seems pretty wild which means there's some fancy math like exponents or logarithms going on behind the scenes but it seems that it gives a half decent range of abilities. Also meaning that a person with STR 3 can lift can deadlift about 4 pounds.

Characteristics will be determined randomly by roll of 3D6. Because our guys are supposed to be the more elite option, I will reroll low stats until it gets within the quality band expected of such fine basic training rejects (10-18 guaranteed).

STR: The overall strength of the character. Straightforward right? Wrong. Strength in of itself doesn't mean much beyond how much your guy can carry, lift, and do hand to hand damage, however, STR determines encumbrance and base speed, which in turn influences the maximum speed. Which then influences Combat Actions which then influence Combat Actions per impulse. Chaos Theory is real and it is a wargaming ruleset.

INT: This is not actually how smart your character is. This is how quick thinking your character is. This is used to generate the Intelligence Skill Factor. This also influences Combat Actions (which then effect Combat Actions Per Impulse!)

WILL: "Resolve and character, affecting courage in the face of danger and resistance the pain of wounds." Sounds like some cool hero stuff right? Nah it just determines how squeamish you are when you get shot, namely, the Knockout Value of a person. A person with high WILL has marginally higher chances of staying conscious when getting shot. Its more like pain tolerance, really.

HLT: This is your "health." It is not hitpoints. High HLT means you die slower. Death comes for us all.

AGI: This determines how fast you move, essentially. Very important for hand-to-hand combat (especially swordsmanship), but not much else besides speed.

Gun Combat Skill Level: This skill is pre-ordained, and ranges from 0-20. 0 being a civilian that picked up a gun about thirty seconds ago, to 20 being a legendary hero on the battlefield, aka Big Boss. 3 and 4 are described as "average" troops for any given nation. This is how good you are with a gun. Represents an overall level of skill. This is going to be at 3 for everyone in the beginning. As your mercs survive missions, and get training, they may get Learning Points to increase their skill level, or learn qualifications in specific fields such as Marksmanship, Explosives, Tank Driving, Kamikaze piloting, whatever your heart desires really. Each qualified skill level can only be used for that skill. So if you have an overall GCSL of 2, you shoot like poo poo. But that same person has a Qualified Skill of 8 in RPG shooting, he is a great anti-tank hunter.

I have to consult no less than 6 tables to determine all this stuff. Welcome to hell.

Equipment

Equipment is well, pretty self explanatory. There are grenades and explosives, weapons of all shapes and sizes, clothing and armor, even tanks and artillery. Everything has their own stats which are used for combat (shooting and determining damage, range, accuracy, aim time, rate of fire, etc...), determining encumbrance, body armor protection (Protection Factor), etc...

"Clothing" as it is said, weights a base 5 pounds no matter what you are wearing. However when you get to load bearing equipment, everything from magazines to magazine pouches and canteens are given weight and must be lugged around. Travel light.

Weapons

I'll just go ahead and post a single weapon and break it down.

Here we have a staple of the U.S. Army: the M1911A1, manufactured by Colt. A .45 pistol that has been in service for over 100 years. I even have one, great gun, fun to shoot. However, learning to use, clean, and operate a real firearm is less complex than what you see here.

Starting from the top of the leftmost column:
Physical Characteristics

Length and Weight (L and W): Very simple. How long the weapon is, and how much it weighs, in imperial measurements. So inches and pounds. The 1911 is 9 inches long, and weights 3 pounds.

Reload Time (RT): How much it costs to reload the weapon. The M1911A1 costs 4 actions to reload, which depending on how good your character is, can take anywhere from half a second or longer. Half a second reload times are, however, rare. Not everyone is John Wick.

Rate of Fire (RoF): How long it takes to chamber a round. Measured in action costs. The asterisk means that it doesn't cost anything to chamber a fresh round. This is usually for bolt-action rifles from what I've seen.

Ammunition Capacity (CAP) and Feed Device (FD): How many rounds the weapon can hold. This is usually determined by the Feed Device. In this example, the 1911 has a capacity of 7 rounds, and has a Feed Device of a Magazine (Mag). Meaning it has a 7 round magazine!

Ammunition Weight (AW): How much ammo weighs. This is measured by Feed Device. So, by Belt (Blt), Magazine (Mag), Drum (Drm), or Round (Rnd). The 1911 has an ammo weight (AW) of .7. Which means that every magazine weighs 7/10ths of a pound. Two magazines would weigh 1.4 pounds. Bing bong so simple.

Knockdown (KD): This is the "measure of the weapon's knockdown capability." It has nothing to do with damage, but whether an impact from this weapon literally knocks a person over. Don't ask me what a KD of 5 is supposed to mean, I'm just using the tables here.

Sustained Automatic Burst (SAB): "The measure of a weapon's recoil and its accuracy over long periods of automatic fire." This is basically meaningless for a semi-automatic pistol like the 1911, but it can greatly influence automatic weapons, which is something I'll go over later in a combat and movement post.

The Center Column, "Aim time and Modifiers"

The number on the left is how many actions spent aiming. 1-6 for the 1911. Meaning, a person can spend 6 actions aiming the weapon. The number on the right, is the penalty to the to hit of the weapon. Basically accuracy. Again, this will be covered in a combat section. Essentially, spend more time aiming and you'll shoot gooder.

The Right Column, "Penetration Table"

Penetration, Damage, and Ammo Type (PEN, DC)
Now this is where things get funky. We are given numbers and letters what do they mean!

So the leftmost letters, IE, "FMJ, JHP, AP" stand for the ammo type being used currently. Full Metal Jacket, Hollow Point, and Armor Piercing, respectively. Each have their own unique penetration over distance. The numbers extending to the right of the table are the actual penetration (PEN) values. Under the PEN values are the Damage Class (DC) values. Higher PEN means higher penetration, ergo better capability versus armor. Higher DC means the bullets themselves do more damage. You want high PEN when shooting armored mans, and high DC when shooting anybody.

The range intervals are in hexes, being 10, 20, 40, 70, 100, 200, 300, 400. Boxes in grey are ranges that are beyond a weapon's effective range.

Ammo types of course influence this, so FMJ is the standard round with standard damage and penetration. Hollow Point has marginally less penetration (still only a pistol round here) but a decent boost to damage. Armor Piercing then gives high PEN, and usually lower DC but in the case of the 1911, AP has very high PEN but the same DC as FMJ ammo. Alphabet soup aside, ammo important.

The Bottom Row (Ballistic Accuracy "BA" and, Time of Flight "TOF")

Not listed in this example: Minimum Arc. Minimum Arc, or MA, is the minimum number of hexes that a fully automatic weapon's burst fire must be spread. So an MA of 3 means that the full auto burst must be essentially 3 hexes wide. The 1911 being a semi-auto pistol, it does not have an MA.

The Ballistic Accuracy (BA): "The measure of a weapon/ammunition accuracy potential." In the basic, and even advanced rules, this means literally nothing. However, being the insane person that I am, I have all the supplements. This is used exclusively for shooting beyond a weapon's effective range. This is only used for a complicated calculation/tabulation for shooting people very far away, beyond a weapon's listed range. Think of it like bullet drop, and inherent inaccuracies of the ammo and weapon.

Time of Flight (ToF): "The projectile's time of flight in tenths of seconds." That's it. This rule for tenths of seconds is kinda cool, its designed to figure out the precise moment of events to determine their true order, so if on its face two things happen at the same time you can delve into the rules to figure out which event happened first. Rare, but useful. Also needlessly complicated.

This concludes characters and equipment. I will be generating characters, creating dossiers (char sheets basically) and filling out the roster soon. Up next, is movement and combat.

Epilogue: Explosives

Here is a standard issue M67 Frag Grenade. You throw, it goes boom. Except I gotta roll dice 2000 times. Literally.

Same fare in the Left Column, length, weight. However, some new stats get added and have one key difference, rather than range in yards from where the shooter is shooting his gun, explosive damage and shrapnel are measured in range (number of hexes) from the blast itself. This is in intervals of: C (close, will explain in combat post), 0 , 1 , 2, 3 ,5, 10. They don't really tell you what numbers to use if you are 4 hexes, or in between 5 and 10 hexes away.

Arm Time: Time the bomb takes to arm, in action cost. So it takes 3 actions to arm this particular grenade.

Fuse Length (FL): Fuse length in 2 second phases. So, for the M67, 2 phases, or 4 seconds.

Range (R): The distance the grenade can be thrown in 2 yard hexes from a kneeling stance. If we are kneeling, this grenade can be thrown 16 hexes or 32 yards.

The Right Column:

PEN and DC remain the same, except one key difference. PEN and DC refer to penetration power of armor, rather than a bullet. So think of this like an explosion on an armored surface. This is used primarily for anti-armor weapons like rockets. Or even strapping a bomb to the side of a tank.

However, a new row is added. The Base Shrapnel Hit Chance (BSHC) and Base Concussion. BSHC is used for resolving shrapnel, from the hex the grenade explodes in. BC is used for concussion damage.

So any given explosion can have hundreds, or thousands of pieces, of shrapnel hitting a person, before Base Concussion is even applied. As you can see, Base Concussion damage is measured in the hundreds and even as high as the 10s of thousands. They're deadly.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 8, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Oh my

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That thing is like a thought experiment to test the definition of "recreational activity" come to horrible shambling unlife

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Jesus, and I thought CMANO was grog-ish. Be careful friend, when the grog stares back, run.

Ivan "totally not russian" Ivanov eagerly awaits his chance to accidentally kill the whole squad. If he lives long enough, he'd like to specialize in calling artillery and airstrikes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Is it true that this was made by NASA engineers? Because it seems like the creators look like the sort of people who think IT'S OBVIOUS what the granade factor for things 4 or 5-10 hexes away are.

But enough autistic spergs bought this to get supplements released, Jesus Christ. ArmA doesn't give as much poo poo about war as this game does.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JcDent posted:

Is it true that this was made by NASA engineers? Because it seems like the creators look like the sort of people who think IT'S OBVIOUS what the granade factor for things 4 or 5-10 hexes away are.

But enough autistic spergs bought this to get supplements released, Jesus Christ. ArmA doesn't give as much poo poo about war as this game does.

There are 18 books in total, including the core and advanced rules.

And yes, LEG were a pair of NASA engineers. They stopped doing game design and went back to being rocket scientists in 1991.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Great, this means that Van Owen, that son of a bitch, should also join the reserves.

:norway:

Phi230 posted:

Whoa that would be amazing, especially the prone hit location tables. Isn't grappling covered by Garrotte and Suffocation rules though?

Hit And Hit Location Roller. Note that it's not an exact copy of the tables. I did some math-wizardly to let it handle any real-valued Damage Class, so it can do stuff like DC -1 and DC 11 and DC 5.7. If the Minimum Arc field is blank, it rolls Shots number of single shots. If you have a value in the Minimum Arc field, it'll roll once on the Auto Elev table and then rolls each projectile in the burst individually in width. It can't handle shotguns just yet. I was going to implement shotguns, but then I started thinking about how to implement automatic shotguns and things got complicated.

The garrote and suffocation rules cover some aspects of grappling, but there's also holds, throws, joint locks, pinning, biting, hair pulling, dirt throwing, eye gouging, and sweaty dick punching to consider! Also, I'll see if I can find what I did with respect to figuring out how the hell the grenades at all possible ranges worked, in case you want more detail there. And the M1911 in PCCS uses pretty old ammunition, tell me if you want me to stat up one using modern rounds or +P+ or whatever. I should also be able to do JSP and wadcutter rounds.

The first hit to Hit Location 7 isn't a shoulder glance, it's a "neck glance" which uses the same hit location table.

Tables C1 and C2:

The disability in the first table is from the shoulder girdle and muscles being destroyed, and if you get as far as 6.9 EPEN, the pelvis starts breaking. In the second table, the disability is the pelvis being broken, which adds maybe 20 Shock Points (not that it matters at that point).

Phi230 posted:

And yes, LEG were a pair of NASA engineers. They stopped doing game design and went back to being rocket scientists in 1991.

All in all pretty cool. For all their bitter whining about people not appreciating their genius realism, they also basically released the entire line into the public domain this Christmas.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Marsman reporting for the reserves, sir!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

this seems like the sort of game that's hellish as a board game but would be pretty simple as a video game (at least from the player's perspective), although i guess rolling dice and consulting tables is supposed to be most of the "fun"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Congratulations to Actuary, our first official active merc. Rest of the roster is coming.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No wonder we couldn't pass Basic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4qMY4Rawkc

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As I get around to completing the dossiers, command says we need a good ratio of Squad Leaders to men. I figure five men per squad leader. That means when the dossiers complete you will need to nominate two as the company's leaders.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Ooooh, going to have to jump headfirst into the abyss on this one too. Sign me up as reservist Wilkes if you would.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Sign me up as a reservist as well. Names Mattis Wilson. Bad mutha' trucker.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 9, 2017

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Could I still sign up? If so just call me Bob Calvert.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Roster and all char sheets have been finalized and updated on the front page. Whoo, took forever. Now time for the real poo poo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh god, popete got hosed on statline. :v: (I have no idea how much of a difference that makes)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

Oh god, popete got hosed on statline. :v: (I have no idea how much of a difference that makes)

Popete is below average. Our best and finest Merc is Grimace Howlington III with Count (von Count) being a close second. Everyone else kind of hovers around the same mediocre numbers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I tend to prioritize number of actions in unfamiliar settings, time will tell whether I'm actually right about that, but nearly twice the number looks pretty useful (watch them have implemented an implicit system of severe diminishing returns on actions).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

I tend to prioritize number of actions in unfamiliar settings, time will tell whether I'm actually right about that, but nearly twice the number looks pretty useful (watch them have implemented an implicit system of severe diminishing returns on actions).

These stats, especially movement, are not permanent. Half of the Squad can throw away like 2 magazines and move up several rows on the movement speed tables and action table.

Which makes me think if I can incorporate the char creation tables into a spreadsheet and track everyone's char sheet that way

nah gently caress it, I'll do it by hand. I have a file on my desk with all 12 char sheets. This is real.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm gonna die in qualifications...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Yeah I'm gonna die in qualifications...

Qualifications? What're those?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Qualifications? What're those?

I was assuming there was some qualifications for the weapons, but maybe that's just stats based.

I guess I'll qualify for a crow bar.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

I was assuming there was some qualifications for the weapons, but maybe that's just stats based.

I guess I'll qualify for a crow bar.

The joke was that none of us are qualified. But yes, qualification comes with training not stats. Survive and you just might get that M60. But your stats say you'll be a little slow with it.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are there going to be moral/ethical dilemmas for Our Heroes to resolve?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Just keep in mind that happiness MONEY is the ultimate good.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zephirum posted:

Are there going to be moral/ethical dilemmas for Our Heroes to resolve?

Our best soldier got shot and OOC we know exactly what damage it suffered, since this is Field Medic Command the game. Do we really try moving forward knowing that our chances of survival aren't any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
If you're still writing down reservists, sign me up as Ajax. Looking forward to watching these two LPs spiral out of control.

• Locked thread