Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Also technically NYSAC doesn't allow instant replay, but they kind of do it anyway? Pretty much everyone hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

chaleski posted:

Also technically NYSAC doesn't allow instant replay, but they kind of do it anyway? Pretty much everyone hosed up.

e: I should probably refresh the thread more often

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Big Dan stops the fight due to what he thinks is an illegal knee. He is not allowed or able or something to review the knee on instant replay, but is told by other refs that it was actually legal. Dan tries to give Weidman the rest of his 5 minutes to recover for some reason, and then a doctor stops the fight or something. Weidman loses by TKO.

Herb Dean said pretty much this is what happened and does happen (called a "poll" with other on-site officials), and that usually the refs will defer to the doctors for obvious reasons.

Edit - On topic, KO of the Year suggestion is Bellator 176, Cavalho vs Manhoef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TpMVTmTqE

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Big Dan did nothing wrong and should not be nominated.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
KO of the Year, Sabina Mazo def. Jamie Thorton (KO, head kick) at LFA 9

https://twitter.com/fredthechef/status/853085044369498112

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Memento posted:

KO of the Year, Sabina Mazo def. Jamie Thorton (KO, head kick) at LFA 9

https://twitter.com/fredthechef/status/853085044369498112

Girl did the Reverse Undertaker.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
2017's fights where We, The Viewers, are the Real Winners (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)
Tim Elliott vs. Louis Smolka, UFC on Fox 24

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fight of the Year: Elliot vs Smolka
Breakout Performance: Rose Namajunas

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Card of the year. That card

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
New contender for The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence

https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/855395390081961985

I don't think a blind person should be a allowed to ref. That's my only guess as to why he didn't stop it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Digital Jedi posted:

New contender for The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence

https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/855395390081961985

I don't think a blind person should be a allowed to ref. That's my only guess as to why he didn't stop it.

holy poo poo it's like the sideshow bob rake scene

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

It's loving Russia. That ref got paid to act like a scared goon and let a man get beat to death. I think that's the only reasonable explanation.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Whittaker smoking Jacare has to be nominated for something surely. Also that video of the girl nearly dying before the COACH jumped the fence to stop the fight almost made me throw up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MacDougall posted:

Whittaker smoking Jacare has to be nominated for something surely. Also that video of the girl nearly dying before the COACH jumped the fence to stop the fight almost made me throw up.

not... really. there'll be bigger upsets this year. strong contender for breakout fighter of the year though if he carries on the way he's going.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Whitaker should never have been that big of an underdog in the first place.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MacDougall posted:

Then pick something and nominate him for it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Going to suggestion either a new award or to add post fight celebration to the Best Post Fight Interview award.

Mike "Platinum" Perry break dancing with Ellenberger's lifeless body in the background

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Digital Jedi posted:

Going to suggestion either a new award or to add post fight celebration to the Best Post Fight Interview award.

Mike "Platinum" Perry break dancing with Ellenberger's lifeless body in the background

I do agree that a post-fight celebration should have enough interesting contenders to merit its own reward.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
KO of the year, UFC FN 108, Platinum Mike Perry knocks Jake Ellenberger flat out
https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/855971708905283585

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Rename me to this.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I'm sure it won't win, but I think UFC 211 deserves a nomination for Card of the Year.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I'm sure it won't win, but I think UFC 211 deserves a nomination for Card of the Year.

It has the unfortunate blemish of a Dave Branch UFC fight, but rather than second I'll give Alvarez-Poirier Rd 2 a round of the year nomination, even with the clusterfuck of a finish.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I can't in good faith give a fight between undercard trashweights a nod for Fight of the Year, but if there was some award for "Rowdiest brawl that had me howling" I would place that fight in the top spot at the moment

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Stealth Tiger posted:

I can't in good faith give a fight between undercard trashweights a nod for Fight of the Year, but if there was some award for "Rowdiest brawl that had me howling" I would place that fight in the top spot at the moment

Honorary fight of the year/fight where we, the viewers, are the winners

Knight/Skelly was also :krad:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stealth Tiger posted:

That was a loving great fight from two absolute nobodies.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yes I am catching up on the prelims of 211 and I also nominate Chase Sherman vs. Rashad Coulter for 2017's fights where We, The Viewers, are the Real Winners

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's throw Gus vs Glover in for some nominations here. Might not win, but we need nominations to make this poo poo function, right?

UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira
Fight of the Year - Alexander Gustafsson vs. Glover Teixeira

Knockout of the Year: Alexander Gustafsson

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Agreed, I think that KO was my second favorite so far this year.

Number 1 is Barboza vs Dariush, which I'm realizing is not on the list so far!

So nominating that from Fight Night 107.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

Knockout of the Year: Alexander Gustafsson

I'd be down for that. Might just be because the crowd went so nuts to see it, but it was pretty amazing.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

KO of the year, UFC FN 108, Platinum Mike Perry knocks Jake Ellenberger flat out
https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/855971708905283585

Not available in blighty for some reason.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Gus' three unanswered uppercuts followed by the ko punch was super cool and I third its nomination.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Though I'm biased because he used to train at the same gym as me, I think Damir Hadzovic's KO of Marcin Held from Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixiera deserves a nomination just for the sheer novelty of it. Other than Hellboy a decade ago, I don't think I've ever seen an Imanari roll countered like this. Looked like a video game with collision detection issues: https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/868834830292623360

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skjorte posted:

Though I'm biased because he used to train at the same gym as me, I think Damir Hadzovic's KO of Marcin Held from Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixiera deserves a nomination just for the sheer novelty of it. Other than Hellboy a decade ago, I don't think I've ever seen an Imanari roll countered like this. Looked like a video game with collision detection issues: https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/868834830292623360

It's a good nomination, too, as it got a POTN bonus, whereas Gus didn't.

Plus if oyu nominate you're now morally obligated to vote at year end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skjorte posted:

Good call, the whole motion is identical to the Hellboy knee down to the step over

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Insane

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Probably won't win, but I'll throw this in the pile for the refereeing incompetence award.

UFC 212 Johnny Eduardo vs Matthew Lopez. Mario Yamasaki watches Eduardo get beaten half to death before he finally waves off the fight.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/871165944311283712

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think Brian Kelleher is a good nod for best sub and best post fight interview. I also think if we want to add a good new category it could be best UFC debut, he'd be good for that as well.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Best Silencio Rio award.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

I think Brian Kelleher is a good nod for best sub and best post fight interview. I also think if we want to add a good new category it could be best UFC debut, he'd be good for that as well.

That has to be the frontrunner for best interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Rose doesn't win the Strawweight title this year, Max Holloway has to go down as the break out star of 2017.

• Locked thread