Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Fortunately Abrams isn't directing this one, or the next one, so hopefully they'll turn out to be better than the mess TFA was

My controversial opinion on TFA was that it was actually pretty good and that Abrams did Star Wars well when compared to the Star Wars made by Lucas between 1999 and 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

My controversial opinion on TFA was that it was actually pretty good and that Abrams did Star Wars well when compared to the Star Wars made by Lucas between 1999 and 2005.

I imagine if Lucas decided to do A New Hope with three different coats of paint they would've been comparable

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But would Finn have been a CGI comedic relief character or would he have been a black storm trooper comedic relief character in Lucas's sequel trilogy?

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

I remember reading a post in one of these threads a while ago that really stuck with me about Lucas working on the Clone Wars story arc about a stealth-drive ship.

It was something about how one of writing staff quipped a line from Empire(?) saying "no ship that size has a stealth generator" and Lucas just paused for a beat and said "Well, this one does."

I think you could draw a few conclusions from that, but it amused me in a "this is my story, I make the rules" way.

I saw that interview years ago. I think it was with Dave Filoni. I wasn't into Clone Wars at the time because I didn't like the prequels. It told me that the people running the day to day operation of the show were Star Wars fans and really cared about their work. I gave a show a fair shot and it turns out I liked it. And to be fair to George, that was a pretty good episode. The writers even put in a line saying how ships that small don't usually have cloaking devices. That always makes me smile.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I found the overall story being told in the prequels, good, and the way they were told...bad, but fascinating.

I found the overall story in TFA to be a greatest hits of the OT, and non interesting, and the way it was told and directed, ok. It did have a few interesting things, like Kylo.

Rebels seems to be ok in the overall story, mixed in the execution for me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

After a careful analysis of your avatar, I feel confident agreeing with you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

After a careful analysis of your avatar, I feel confident agreeing with you.

That avatar is more anime trash like the Hunter X Hunter one you so elegantly dumped on so I feel confident in saying whatever barometer you base all your posts on is defective

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheKingofSprings posted:

That avatar is more anime trash like the Hunter X Hunter one you so elegantly dumped on so I feel confident in saying whatever barometer you base all your posts on is defective

/
:Anime-Catar-say:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

NTRabbit posted:

I don't like Kylo Ren as a villain, I don't like TFA, and I don't think JJ Abrams is any good as a director, he's especially bad at doing space scifi. TFA just had way too many problems for me to like it.

I thought we were friends! :argh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As a story about how the Republic and a galaxy fell to tyranny, the prequels did a solid job.

As the tale of Anakin Skywalker, fallen Jedi Knight, the prequels are a total misfire. We never see why Anakin is such a revered jedi, or why Obi-Wan saw him as a brother. And evne if The Clone Wars fixes that (haven't seen 'em), that can't fix Revenge of the Sith's awful treatment. Any subtleties about Anakin losing faith in the jedi order or democracy or his friends gets entirely erased by "ME MUST SAVE WOMAN"

In other news, holy poo poo is Iron Squadron bad. Like, worst episode of the series ever.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

As a story about how the Republic and a galaxy fell to tyranny, the prequels did a solid job.

As the tale of Anakin Skywalker, fallen Jedi Knight, the prequels are a total misfire. We never see why Anakin is such a revered jedi, or why Obi-Wan saw him as a brother. And evne if The Clone Wars fixes that (haven't seen 'em), that can't fix Revenge of the Sith's awful treatment. Any subtleties about Anakin losing faith in the jedi order or democracy or his friends gets entirely erased by "ME MUST SAVE WOMAN"

In other news, holy poo poo is Iron Squadron bad. Like, worst episode of the series ever.

The Clone Wars manages to fix both Anakin and Maul. I recommend it highly.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Clone Wars manages to fix both Anakin and Maul. I recommend it highly.

Actually Anakin got fixed at the end of Episode II but his robot hand wasn't the covered one seen later, but Maul totally did get fixed in the Clone Wars with new fancy robot legs.

Narcissus1916 posted:

While it was done poorly, Anakin doing everything he possibly can to save Padme made perfect sense after his mother died in Ep.II and how it caused him to wipe out an entire village of sand people in a fit of rage. He was willing to do anything to avoid that pain when it inevitably happens to his wife, the only other woman he ever loved. It was explained poorly, but it made sense that Anakin would throw everything away in a desperate attempt to save someone, no matter the consequences.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 3, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Clone Wars is the story of how Anakin gradually worked on his issues and became a great friend, husband, Space Dad, and Jedi.

And then how the Council blew all that to hell with one decision.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's a pity he looks like an angry duck through the whole series though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This feels like a good time to mention Hayden Christenson will be at the 40th Annual Star Wars Celebration.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Funky Valentine posted:

Clone Wars is the story of how Anakin gradually worked on his issues and became a great friend, husband, Space Dad, and Jedi.

And then how the Council blew all that to hell with one decision.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Kylo does not get redeemed. It would be nice to see someone beyond redemption out of choice for once.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Kylo does not get redeemed. It would be nice to see someone beyond redemption out of choice for once.

I don't know. I kind of doubt they'll go that way. It's too Star Wars to redeem someone at the end of their life.

I just really, really hope the Last Jedi(s) shows up some new kinds of stories we don't normally see in SW, like the prequels did (though, I hope TLJ does it a lot better) for SW. I want novelty.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Covok posted:

I just really, really hope the Last Jedi(s) shows up some new kinds of stories we don't normally see in SW, like the prequels did (though, I hope TLJ does it a lot better) for SW. I want novelty.

45 minutes of the movie will be dedicated to a day in Dexter Jettster's 50's theme Diner

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Will they be showing any season 4 stuff at Celebration? I'll be there, but I haven't decided if the Rebels panel was worth standing in line for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I just saw Twin Suns. That Alec Guiness impression is haunting :stare:. I also love that the moment Maul dares to threaten Luke it is go time.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I just saw Twin Suns. That Alec Guiness impression is haunting :stare:. I also love that the moment Maul dares to threaten Luke it is go time.

You can really feel Obi-Wan think and decide in a single moment. "I was giving you a way out of this, Maul. But now action must be taken."

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Will they be showing any season 4 stuff at Celebration? I'll be there, but I haven't decided if the Rebels panel was worth standing in line for.

Based on past celebrations and interviews after the seasons 3 finale, almost certainly. We may also get an announcement about what the next series will end up being from Filoni. He's been the head of animation for a year now, so we should finally get some idea what else he's been working on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ecureuilmatrix posted:

You can really feel Obi-Wan think and decide in a single moment. "I was giving you a way out of this, Maul. But now action must be taken."

Cue lightsaber noise and blue ambient lighting.

Boss.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Teek posted:

Based on past celebrations and interviews after the seasons 3 finale, almost certainly. We may also get an announcement about what the next series will end up being from Filoni. He's been the head of animation for a year now, so we should finally get some idea what else he's been working on.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next show is kept under wraps until Rebels ends (presumably after next season), so as not to steal its thunder. But I'd love to be wrong!

Either way, I think there's a 99% chance of a season 4 trailer next week, and can't wait for that. We're finally getting to Clone Wars territory where they have enough assets to make the show really look great.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
There's no Celebration next year, so that might increase the chances of it getting announced here.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Great point. I'm surprised they aren't doing a convention next year. Doesn't there seem to be a huge market for it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Presumably Disney's D23 convention would fill the role next year for any big announcements.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not to mention the San Diego Comic Con.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so it's been 3 seasons, has it ever been addressed by the show runners why the lightsabres are skinny?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Aces High posted:

so it's been 3 seasons, has it ever been addressed by the show runners why the lightsabres are skinny?

Art design. It's good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yes. It matches their original concept art.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aces High posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes. It matches their original concept art.

Same reason the Star Destroyers are tall and boxy. They've gone with the original McQuarrie concept art for anything they had his designs for, including the rapier thin lightsabers.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Or square tie fighters instead of rectangle. (Front view)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

drunkill posted:

Or square tie fighters instead of rectangle. (Front view)

The squished TIE fighters are the only thing I can't get used to, mostly because I play the X-Wing minis game which is at scale. I dig everything else, though, especially the skinny sabers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gazaar posted:

Art design. It's good.

Yea, making the blade thinner actually makes it look stronger and more threatening in my opinion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shbobdb posted:

/
:Anime-Catar-say:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

They really are neat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They really are neat.

and were a lot more commonplace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

AndyElusive posted:

and were a lot more commonplace...

I guess this is the inspiration for that one guy in TFA? The "Traitor" guy?

• Locked thread