Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a good resource for weapon damage/spread yet?

Also does holding shift reduce recoil/spread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My best solo so far was 11 and it felt so loving good. I couldn't be mad when I died because it was my first tine at that position and I made a mistake because of that

On the topic of DayZ, the gunplay in this game is so satisfying that it feels completely unlike DayZ. The second reason is because everyone has a chance to build up a decent haul since there's plenty of places to find things. My primary gripe with DayZ was that 70% of the time I would die before finding even a single item. It wad just eternally frustrating.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I thought that was a myth...

It baffles me that this game has a bunch of guns and items that I haven't actually ever seen in game. Why is there a prohibition era Tommy gun in the lobby? Is that actually in the game?

I found an 8x scope today in a random apartment and it felt as though I was carrying the Hope diamond.

I got a 15x off a crate. The thing is bananas. Same about the Tommy gun.

Get used to using the boat and loot the crates that drop in the ocean, and you'll get to see them in no time.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I love how you can put a silencer on the semi-auto shotgun. That thing is a beast close/medium range and it gets HUGE with the silencer on it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I love how you can put a silencer on the semi-auto shotgun. That thing is a beast close/medium range and it gets HUGE with the silencer on it.

The Saiga with an extended mag is a squad killer. I've killed whole squads multiple times (usually in buildings) with it, it owns.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here's a montage of ridiculous things that happen to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fD-tZBZhE

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 10, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Really wish it was not possible to get the same item twice from reward boxes. Just got my 3rd white tank top. At least it auto sells them :(

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Eh, I just sell them on the Steam marketplace, already got like $5 back from the $30 I spent.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You basically just need to put the game on a SSD and have 16+ GB of ram. I only have 8 cause my CPU fan is too big to put more in and I'm lazy and don't want to remove it and re-seat the fan. I live with the kinda lag 8 GB gives me but a SSD made an absolute 100% performance boost. Went from loading some spots after a minute or two to always having full quality buildings, with some minor lag at times.

I have a mid to low end PC and the only time I have such a hard time loading is these 2 buildings to the South West of the firing range. I can drop anywhere on the map and be fine, but if I land next to those 2, they are Nintendo 64 buildings for a good 2 minutes.

Trying to climb the solo leaderboard, not going too bad, but man sometimes the loot gods hate me. I made top 3 last night with a level 1 helmet and vest. Even the ones I tried to loot off of dead bodies were awful. Only saw 1 energy drink that entire time. Seems solo crate drops rarely get picked up, so if you see one and it doesn't have red smoke coming out of it, take a chance, you might get something fantastic.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

VulgarandStupid posted:

Here's a montage of ridiculous things that happen to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fD-tZBZhE

Your frame rate is easily 5x what I'm getting. :stare:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Three-Phase posted:

Your frame rate is easily 5x what I'm getting. :stare:

The other day, I asked you if you had the computer of a poor person, and you stated it you didn't. Today you said you are still running an i7-920, which is like 8 years old. It's time to upgrade, man.

Athanatos posted:

I have a mid to low end PC and the only time I have such a hard time loading is these 2 buildings to the South West of the firing range. I can drop anywhere on the map and be fine, but if I land next to those 2, they are Nintendo 64 buildings for a good 2 minutes.

Trying to climb the solo leaderboard, not going too bad, but man sometimes the loot gods hate me. I made top 3 last night with a level 1 helmet and vest. Even the ones I tried to loot off of dead bodies were awful. Only saw 1 energy drink that entire time. Seems solo crate drops rarely get picked up, so if you see one and it doesn't have red smoke coming out of it, take a chance, you might get something fantastic.

Have you tried verifying your game file integrity?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Looking for people to play with add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/gorido/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

tehinternet posted:

The Saiga with an extended mag is a squad killer. I've killed whole squads multiple times (usually in buildings) with it, it owns.

It's just great in general; typing this while alt tabbed dead. My two buddies missed the memo and parachuted the wrong way, dropped into a squad of four and killed three in seconds and wounded the fourth with an unupgraded Saiga. With extended and ext quick mags it's absurd.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Shotties in general seem to be pretty loving good, which is nice considering how they usually roll in these types of games.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Driving along and I spot a guy running near a cliff. He moves right to the edge thinking I would not want to run my car off the edge into the ocean.

So worth it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Someone posted a guide to tweaking your ini's for more FPS. Someone give it a shot and report back.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889934285

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This game is incredible
https://clips.twitch.tv/RoundBlitheDotterelVoteYea
https://clips.twitch.tv/GloriousRelentlessVanillaSuperVinlin

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
OK I got some basic newbie questions:

Are the weaposn hitscan or projectile? Should I lead targets basically?

Can bandages be used on teammates?

Are SMGS really as useless as they feel like on anything more than 10 meters out? if I am ironsights are my guns accurate even if when firing from the hip it has a huge spread (like smgs?) Like can I psuedo snipe with an SMG when ironing?

Also I can't tell do I have to hold f to pick up things? Sometimes it just doesn't register.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 10, 2017

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

OK I got some basic newbie questions:

Are the weaposn hitscan or projectile? Should I lead targets basically?

Can bandages be used on teammates?

Are SMGS really as useless as they feel like on anything more than 10 meters out? if I am ironsights are my guns accurate even if when firing from the hip it has a huge spread (like smgs?) Like can I psuedo snipe with an SMG when ironing?

Also I can't tell do I have to hold f to pick up things? Sometimes it just doesn't register.

in order:
there is travel time so lead if far away
no
depends on the user but i hit people with umps pretty easily from 50 to 100m. full auto if point blank. only hip fire when close and use ADS when you can.
drag items into your inv by hitting tab to avoid the pick up animation and to verify you picked stuff up

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 10, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rite Of Massage posted:

in order:
there is travel time so lead if far away
no
depends on the user but i hit people with umps pretty easily from 50 to 100m. full auto if point blank. only hip fire when close and use ADS when you can.
drag items into your inv by hitting tab to avoid the pick up animation and to verify you picked stuff up

Thanks. Does right click in the tab inventory not work reliably, drag is better?

Also is melee at all viable? I've charged dudes with pistols and its never worked, even getting the drop on them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Shotties in general seem to be pretty loving good, which is nice considering how they usually roll in these types of games.

Yeah, they can hit dudes out to pretty long ranges, particularly with a choke. Honestly I often find myself foregoing the Saiga if I already have the pump-action with a choke on it. You can two-shot dudes out to like 50 meters with that one.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 10, 2017

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks. Does right click in the tab inventory not work reliably, drag is better?

Also is melee at all viable? I've charged dudes with pistols and its never worked, even getting the drop on them.

The "pro" streamers use the dragging method because it skips the bending down and picking up animation, shaving off a few milliseconds.

Melee is only really worth it against another unarmed player. Although I did punch someone to death after they whiffed their shotgun shots up close, but we had been fistfighting a while previously.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now what happens when you end up outside the barrier?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now what happens when you end up outside the barrier?

You suffer constant damage over time. At first it's rather mild and can be counteracted by snarfing a few boost items, but with each contraction the damage gets more severe, until it will kill you in a few seconds towards the end.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
The way the body slumps over. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUmdakCNBo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can't shoot through walls (yet), only doors. He said they will add wall penetration sometime.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You can't shoot through walls (yet), only doors. He said they will add wall penetration sometime.

Thanks. I swear I've been shot through those shacks before.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

succ posted:

I killed a guy the other day who was prone in the corner so his foot was sticking through the geometry, maybe this happened

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

succ posted:

Remember there are slim windows running around them near the roof, and they're often in the vicinity of hills. Occasionally the angles line up just right that you can shoot people huddling inside.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Okay so just so I have the sound dynamics right in my head:

If I hear a distant clap, and I hear it in both ears, does that mean the shot is travelling parallel to my current direction and the shot originated perpendicular to me? So I should be turning 90 degrees in either direction to pinpoint where it came from?

I have a bum left ear that makes positional audio harder than it should be, and whenever I hear a shot I always want to face where it centers up in both my ears, it feels disorienting otherwise.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

This game in real life, basically

kinda nws I suppose I don't think it's too graphic though

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Okay so just so I have the sound dynamics right in my head:

If I hear a distant clap, and I hear it in both ears, does that mean the shot is travelling parallel to my current direction and the shot originated perpendicular to me? So I should be turning 90 degrees in either direction to pinpoint where it came from?

I have a bum left ear that makes positional audio harder than it should be, and whenever I hear a shot I always want to face where it centers up in both my ears, it feels disorienting otherwise.

There are basically three sound effects related to gunfire:

-The actual gunshot, which originates directly from the shooter's position. This is probably the distant clap you're referring to. You can hear this out to a pretty long distance, unless the shooter uses a suppressor. It's crisper when you've got a direct line of sight to the shooter, and more reverb-y if there's something in the way, and has a certain delay before it reaches you depending on distance. Just face this one head-on.

-A high-pitched whirring sound when a bullet passes by you fairly closely. This one originates at a point perpendicular to the bullet's path relative to you. So like you described, the shooter is about 90° in either direction from the way this sound is coming from.

-A loud cracking sound when a bullet passes very close to you. This one also does the perpendicular thing like above. The plan is that this will only be caused by high-velocity rifle rounds, but I don't think that's implemented yet.

Most of the time you can just use the actual gunshot report to triangulate the shooter's position, and disregard the sounds from the bullets' passing. It's really only relevant if somebody's shooting at you with a suppressed weapon.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a suppressed m4 with a 4x scope is lightning from the loving gods i tell you what

two wins in a six hour period with people who have never played before today wew

the firing range is really fun to drop on and usually ends in death but wow!

90% of early game is pro rear end parachuting and knowing which buildings have guns. I have the parachuting down, but man if I drop on like....malta power, I'm basically hosed lol

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I hope the devs don't abandon ship once they've made a buck like most titles in this genre. This game is actually weirdly fun and good despite being more or less the same offering we've been getting since h1z1.

Also how much damage do headshots do in this game?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

I hope the devs don't abandon ship once they've made a buck like most titles in this genre. This game is actually weirdly fun and good despite being more or less the same offering we've been getting since h1z1.

There's a damage chart in the OP but the answer is generally a lot

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's a damage chart in the OP but the answer is generally a lot

Thanks, I see body shot damage values. I know I can find police vests, does that protect my whole body or just my chest?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Knifegrab posted:

Luckily even if the devs do gently caress off, and I don't think they will, this game is already worth the $30 I paid for it.

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks, I see body shot damage values. I know I can find police vests, does that protect my whole body or just my chest?

Just your chest. Also, Lvl 1 and 2 helmets don't protect your face, while Lvl 3 helmets do.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

Idk if I'm misreading you but the headshot damage values is on the same picture, also as far as I know the vests only cover the torso

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

Luckily even if the devs do gently caress off, and I don't think they will, this game is already worth the $30 I paid for it.

Just your chest. Also, Lvl 1 and 2 helmets don't protect your face, while Lvl 3 helmets do.

So is it smart then to shoot someone's legs/feet or do those body parts take reduced damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

if you're aiming that well aim for the head. otherwise center of mass

• Locked thread