Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Did Chaos not even wardec the Vampires this time around, or did they do it and are just doing the usual laser-focus-on-the-human act?

That's just the horde respawn message. You'll know it when the Everyawn shows up.

I know when he and the others show up. I am just thinking it will be pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
When the first Chaos waves crash on you it feels super rough, especially if other enemies join the dogpile too, the true Empire experience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am looking forward to game 3 were apparently chaos will get a revamp and the Daemons will be involved as well.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Whats the Empires answer to Chaos chariots? Handgunners and demigryphs?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

For bodyblocking, heavy cavalry is really good because they don't get bowled over by chariots and they have enough mass to prevent penetration. So technically even Empire knights can do the job. Demigryph knights are much more efficient at actually killing though, especially the halberd variant.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Asking as someone who has no experience with this game nor with CA's newer titles in general: how boned are you at this point?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Danann posted:

For bodyblocking, heavy cavalry is really good because they don't get bowled over by chariots and they have enough mass to prevent penetration. So technically even Empire knights can do the job. Demigryph knights are much more efficient at actually killing though, especially the halberd variant.

How do armies without cav handle them? Dwarfs don't have cavalry to my knowledge. Are they just boned?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lynneth posted:

How do armies without cav handle them? Dwarfs don't have cavalry to my knowledge. Are they just boned?

A lot of Dwarf infantry has charge defence (like spearmen or halberdiers do) by default. For them, the gameplan is wearing down the chariots with heavy concentrated ranged fire while taking the charges on the chin of their resilient infantry line. Direct-fire artillery can also do really well against chariots if you're lucky (a single good cannon salvo can take out one or even several of them), which is another thing that Dwarfs do well.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, those were some desperate battles, alright. Great stuff.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Aumanor posted:

Asking as someone who has no experience with this game nor with CA's newer titles in general: how boned are you at this point?

It isn't ideal, but overall his position is pretty fine. Most of the other factions in the game really hate Chaos and the Vampires, so eventually war will be declared and they will start sending armies to help (as we see with the Wood Elves in this update.) Also he is now starting to produce far more powerful Empire armies which will fare a lot better in battle compared to the things he was previously fielding. In a perfect world he would have been able to deal with the Vampires before the Chaos Invasion got underway, but those early delays cost him dearly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not like I play Legendary but surely instead of making those pre-emptive attacks you would have been way better off trying to set up an ambush, especially within the reinforcement radius of those cities that you knew they were gonna attack. Then you can smash up their attacking stacks 2v1 as they come in to siege.

I think trying to soften VC stacks have a strong chance of backfiring, because it's very likely you'd kill off some of their units of lovely skeletons and the raise dead mechanic means they can replace them straight away with high tier units.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yea, but if the ambush fails then that stack is definitely dead with this many enemies. Earlier on in the campaign, ambushes are mainly good for luring enemy armies out of range of their garrisons. Plus, the enemy armies haven't been moving around much. The computer is reasonably competent on the strategic map when it comes to sieging, it can bring up to 4 stacks to sit outside a city and build siege towers for 3+ turns so there's nothing to ambush as they are just sitting around.

Lightning strike is much better for whittling down hordes in this situation. We have two generals with lightning strike: Karl Franz who has largely retired to Altdorf to recruit units and Rupert Taalson who has been slaughtering endless Norscan armies at the gates of Marienburg. I might see about sending Taalson to the front lines in the east since he's our best general after Karl and lightning strikes would definitely have helped a lot recently.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That siege was basically the Empire using an entire city as ablative armor for Vargheists. I think that siege defence was doomed from the start, looking at the array of units levied against the garrison. At least the Vamps won't raze it and we can take it back hopefully soon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So what actually happened to Talabheim itself? Did they capture it, sack it or burn it to the ground?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It was occupied.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Rename the Grey Wizard to Cristoph Engel

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mukip posted:

Yea, but if the ambush fails then that stack is definitely dead with this many enemies. Earlier on in the campaign, ambushes are mainly good for luring enemy armies out of range of their garrisons. Plus, the enemy armies haven't been moving around much. The computer is reasonably competent on the strategic map when it comes to sieging, it can bring up to 4 stacks to sit outside a city and build siege towers for 3+ turns so there's nothing to ambush as they are just sitting around.

Lightning strike is much better for whittling down hordes in this situation. We have two generals with lightning strike: Karl Franz who has largely retired to Altdorf to recruit units and Rupert Taalson who has been slaughtering endless Norscan armies at the gates of Marienburg. I might see about sending Taalson to the front lines in the east since he's our best general after Karl and lightning strikes would definitely have helped a lot recently.

I'm imagining you are in a situation where you see the stacks coming to siege a city but they aren't there yet. In which case that depends on the range you are ambushing at, if it's sufficiently distant you can retreat out of the way if they uncover the ambush, and then you are okay to lightning strike the next turn if you wanted to. Generally a good ambush is better than lightning strike because you can bring along your own reinforcements, whereas lightning strike will generally not leave you with better than even odds, and it can be dicey whether you can get your army away afterwards.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Battles sure look pretty. I like how they lovingly animated the cannoneers with tight pants and codpieces, but didn't have them swabbing out the cannon, loading it, and then lighting it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Since reload time gets increased a lot they probably wanted to avoid someone being in front of it when it fires which would kill them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

wiegieman posted:

Did Chaos not even wardec the Vampires this time around, or did they do it and are just doing the usual laser-focus-on-the-human act?
they start out at war with them, but on Legendary i literally have never seen a stack hit an AI when it could hit a human instead

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
iirc, the undead don't start out at war with Chaos.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they did the last time i played VC but i played them before they added some of the subfactions so maybe that changed

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Coolguye posted:

they did the last time i played VC but i played them before they added some of the subfactions so maybe that changed

There is the problem. You were playing VC. The Ai Vampires don't start at war with Chaos.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is the problem. You were playing VC. The Ai Vampires don't start at war with Chaos.

In my last Empire game the vampiress weren't at war with Chaos and the Norscans until Archaon showed up.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Due to this LP and the other TW:W LP going on, I went ahead and got the game. I've been on the fence about it for a while, but considering I rolled the bones and got this for 27 bucks. It's pretty fun, so thanks for that!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I haven't played a total war game since Medieval 2, how does unit reinforcement work these days? I've gathered you don't have to reinforce them manually any longer.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Syncopated posted:

I haven't played a total war game since Medieval 2, how does unit reinforcement work these days? I've gathered you don't have to reinforce them manually any longer.

Correct, if your armies are in friendly territory, all the units in the army will automatically replenish their numbers based upon a %. In later total wars, like TW:Warhammer, there are army stances that allow replenishment in enemy territory too. The actual % is determined by multiple factors, like techs, general skills, retainers and the like.

Probably one (if not the most) important changes since the old Total War titles.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Angry Lobster posted:

Correct, if your armies are in friendly territory, all the units in the army will automatically replenish their numbers based upon a %. In later total wars, like TW:Warhammer, there are army stances that allow replenishment in enemy territory too. The actual % is determined by multiple factors, like techs, general skills, retainers and the like.

Probably one (if not the most) important changes since the old Total War titles.

Yeah, this stuff is basically why I can't go back to some of the oldest Total War games, reinforcement is just such a pain.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Holy crap did that steamtank live a long time!

In any other fight it would've been MVP. Also great that the game is still undecided! If you'd have lost the middenheim fight and had that razed I'm guessing you'd have been proper hosed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How does naval combat work in this game? Is there any?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

How does naval combat work in this game? Is there any?

No.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Autoresolve based on ???

Hopefully some dlc will add it eventually or at least the option to "buy a fleet" even if it's still autoresolve

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I never liked naval combat in TW games. It looked pretty in Napoleon, but I could never get the hang of it and kept getting my rear end handed to me.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tevery Best posted:

I never liked naval combat in TW games. It looked pretty in Napoleon, but I could never get the hang of it and kept getting my rear end handed to me.

Naval combat in Empire and Napoleon would have been fun if the AI ever built anything other than sloops and brigs, although having your 98 gunner blast a brig apart in a single broadside was pretty funny

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I've heard that the Total War guys don't have the rights to Manowar, so it's basically impossible for naval combat to be a thing. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but it sounds plausible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tehan posted:

I've heard that the Total War guys don't have the rights to Manowar, so it's basically impossible for naval combat to be a thing. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but it sounds plausible.

Unit cards for ships have been datamined, so it simply looks like they thought about naval combat and decided not to do it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

naval combat in shogun 2 was pretty great

just arrow kobaya forever until you go christian and get caravels, then just slap your big hairy ballsack on the chin of any SOB who rolls up

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Naval combat in Empire and Napoleon would have been fun if the AI ever built anything other than sloops and brigs, although having your 98 gunner blast a brig apart in a single broadside was pretty funny

It was a little hosed how Austria wasn't allowed to build anything bigger than a 74-gun ship in Napeoleon.

Also, it sucked that your trade would get completely shut down if a single frigate slipped into Southampton.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Playing as dwarves is so much easier holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tehan posted:

Well, someone else is making a Man O' War game, so that might also be the problem.
Because :GW:

• Locked thread