Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

astral posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a driver issue.

The latest Nvidia drivers specifically say in the notes that they have some fixes pertaining to the Creator's Update, so yeah...I'd try that.

Updated this morning, no problems so far. Feels oddly snappier, and I like that I can shrink/hide the ALL PROGRAMS in the start menu.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a way to get the creator's update without being in the insiders program?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

taqueso posted:

Is there a way to get the creator's update without being in the insiders program?

The download tool on the Microsoft official page is updated to get the Creators Update already https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

The download tool on the Microsoft official page is updated to get the Creators Update already https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Snuffman posted:

The latest Nvidia drivers specifically say in the notes that they have some fixes pertaining to the Creator's Update, so yeah...I'd try that.
I have their latest drivers, still doesn't last 24 hours without everything going to poo poo (i.e. BSOD).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have their latest drivers, still doesn't last 24 hours without everything going to poo poo (i.e. BSOD).

Did you do a clean install of the drivers?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No I didn't, because I never had to, and frankly, I don't see how a bunch of "suddenly wrong" registry settings cause kernel corruption.

--edit:
Yay, now when I notice the signs coming, I reboot, and it doesn't even get to finish that.

I guess I'll try the clean install, although I don't see what that's supposed to achieve.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 9, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
NVIDIA drivers do seemed hosed with this update. I haven't had any major problems yet, but I do notice the digital kaleidoscope during a restart right before the system resets, which tells me something's hosed up somewhere.

Also, I got a weird issue where my SD card reader gave Code 10 errors in Device Manager despite working correctly. Reinstalling the root USB hub fixed it, but it was a bit strange.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've installed a driver version that worked stable with the AU, still fucks up on CU. Seems the changes with WDDM 2.2 aren't all that they can be.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Installed the new update. Now the Settings app throws this error every 3rd-5th click I make in there.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

I still sometimes have the start menu & taskbar go completely unresponsive until I alt+f4 on desktop & restart, so could have just been something similar.

This keeps happening to me sometimes on my gaming PC. Start and the taskbar just refuse to respond to any input for no discernible reason.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Installed the new update and had to reset my install before I could log in again. Not too happy about that.

Also my monitors have been randomly swapping places, both on reboot and coming back from standby, and just now one of them didn't get a signal after returning from standby until I rebooted.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good one stop shop for all the places you need to set to disable ads:

https://betanews.com/2017/04/10/disable-ads-windows-10-creators-update/

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

GreenNight posted:

Good one stop shop for all the places you need to set to disable ads:

https://betanews.com/2017/04/10/disable-ads-windows-10-creators-update/

The important ones are all in the \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager key. Set the DWORDs SoftLangingEnabled, SubscribedContentEnabled, and SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled to 0 to turn it off. If you do this for the Default hive (the one you load from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Default\ntuser.dat, not .DEFAULT), you can also disable the pre-installed apps. This is, ironically, more convenient than going through Settings.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

The important ones are all in the \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager key. Set the DWORDs SoftLangingEnabled, SubscribedContentEnabled, and SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled to 0 to turn it off. If you do this for the Default hive (the one you load from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Default\ntuser.dat, not .DEFAULT), you can also disable the pre-installed apps. This is, ironically, more convenient than going through Settings.

Is there a site or something that explained how to do this in detail?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I've just had an interesting lock screen ad pop up.

My wife and I have been talking about putting our 5 year old girls in an engineering camp. She does not use my computer, I did not use my computer to do any searches for an engineering camp, but a few days later I got the following facts on my lock screen:

"Only 0.4% of teen girls plan to major in computer science"
and
"Only 6.7% of women graduate with STEM degrees."

Is this a Cortana thing or some other bizarre poo poo?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Maybe you are more sensitive to noticing anything that mentions women in STEM right now?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

taqueso posted:

Maybe you are more sensitive to noticing anything that mentions women in STEM right now?

If I was I would have noticed it in other places, I have not.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone know why my Windows 10 system would lock up after pressing a key to login, but before the password/PIN entry field with my name appears? It does it on a fresh restart, but if i hit my pc's reset button, it usually logs in normally on reboot.

It is very strange.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not from just that. Check event viewer I guess?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've just had an interesting lock screen ad pop up.

My wife and I have been talking about putting our 5 year old girls in an engineering camp. She does not use my computer, I did not use my computer to do any searches for an engineering camp, but a few days later I got the following facts on my lock screen:

"Only 0.4% of teen girls plan to major in computer science"
and
"Only 6.7% of women graduate with STEM degrees."

Is this a Cortana thing or some other bizarre poo poo?

Microsoft's run that Spotlight screen a couple times in the past month.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dont be mean to me posted:

As of this morning's problem I have the following:

https://pastebin.com/KaWNH6xg

Not entirely sure how to interpret this though. Nothing jumps out at me looking at the details of each event

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

Microsoft's run that Spotlight screen a couple times in the past month.

Ok so coincidence. Bizarre.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So the best way to manually download the Creators update is by using the media creation tool to download and upgrade your Windows 10 installation?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ufarn posted:

So the best way to manually download the Creators update is by using the media creation tool to download and upgrade your Windows 10 installation?

Yes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ufarn posted:

Use the update tool, which you get from the same page. The media creation tool is for fresh installs.

Historically a fresh install every now and then has been a good idea anyways but with Windows 10's "factory reset" capabilities I'm not sure how much that really matters anymore.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

wolrah posted:

Use the update tool, which you get from the same page. The media creation tool is for fresh installs.

Historically a fresh install every now and then has been a good idea anyways but with Windows 10's "factory reset" capabilities I'm not sure how much that really matters anymore.

If you set up the fresh install on a usb stick or whatever and then run the setup.exe from within Windows it just does the upgrade as normal anyway. (Or at least previous versions did.)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you run the media-creation tool from within Windows it will give you the option to upgrade directly, and will get you the creators version. No need to make any media

When I tried it a few days ago the update tool hadn't been connected to the creators update yet

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Skarsnik posted:

If you run the media-creation tool from within Windows it will give you the option to upgrade directly, and will get you the creators version. No need to make any media

When I tried it a few days ago the update tool hadn't been connected to the creators update yet

Did you download a new copy of the Media Creation Tool? I don't think the older versions check for newer builds.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yes, and I got the creators update

It's the update tool that isn't getting it at the moment, they're two different things

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, Windows 10 weirdness. I'm sharing my partner's computer while I'm over, so I figured I'd make myself an account. But a freshly created account has the fairly classic "start menu & search not responsive" issue right away. It happens no matter how many (well, I've tried 2) new accounts are created. The Settings app is not responsive, neither is any other app.

DISM scan comes up clean, as does SFC. The next troubleshooting step, running the powershell command to reinstall all default Windows apps, quickly chokes on first call to Get-AppXPackage:

As do any calls to Get-AppXPackage with no pipes or arguments. By the looks of it, this is a standard SQLite error message that occurs, well, when a database file is corrupted.

Which part of Windows now uses a database to operate now? Why, the Start menu's TileDataLayer, of course. I tried using a different admin account to delete the new account's, no go. I tried copying my partner's account's functional start menu data, no go.

Now here's the part that baffles me. When I switch to her account, the start menu works fine. But the database file malformed error still happens when invoking Get-AppXPackage. And since it happens on a fresh new user regardless, it's likely not the Start menu database but something even more central. I imagine there must be some sort of database managing the actual app data. Sadly, there's practically no information about this error out there, and the Microsoft answers forums are worthless garbage as usual.

At this point, I guess only a Windows refresh (whether manual or triggered by the Creators update) might help, though in the case of the update, I worry it might just make the whole process fail.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skarsnik posted:

Yes, and I got the creators update

It's the update tool that isn't getting it at the moment, they're two different things

I used the update tool on my desktop last week to get it, it worked just fine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

odd, it gave me the option to update to a version number that definitely wasn't the creators update

Either way the media-creation tool worked

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Not supporting my Intel HD 4000 video driver, possibly because it hasn't been updated since last May?

In the business, we call that a deal-breaker, Microsoft.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cheesus posted:

Not supporting my Intel HD 4000 video driver, possibly because it hasn't been updated since last May?

In the business, we call that a deal-breaker, Microsoft.

:confused:

Two of my three monitors run on the CPU graphics and I haven't touched the Intel drivers manually since I installed them.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, I don't get it either. I spent two hours trying uninstalling and reinstalling and auto-detecting drivers. Every time, the OS complains the driver can't start and falls back to the Microsoft basic driver.

I honestly thought that maybe the Intel chip had died.

But I roll back to the previous Windows version and it works just fine.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wolrah posted:

:confused:

Two of my three monitors run on the CPU graphics and I haven't touched the Intel drivers manually since I installed them.

You're technically on a different generation though - 4600 is Haswell, 4000 is Ivy Bridge. Still no idea why the Ivy Bridge drivers from last May wouldn't work but Haswell got an update just last week.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So, new Windows 10 laptops mostly have a "precision touchpad", whatever that means. They seem to have some built in function where, if you have "tap to left click" enabled, it will snap your pointer back when you attempt to move it very short, quick distances. If I turn off tap to click, it stops doing that. Problem is, I want tap to click enabled, and the precision touchpads are so precise that you often need to nudge the mouse pointer short distances.

Is there some sort of registry edit I can do to turn this off? I'm having trouble finding any solution online.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ivy Bridge drivers should be working, this laptop I'm typing on has Sandy Bridge integrated graphics and nVidia dedicated graphics and both work just fine after the update. I don't actually have the little Intel control center thing installed because it was useless though, so it's just the drivers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Eletriarnation posted:

You're technically on a different generation though - 4600 is Haswell, 4000 is Ivy Bridge. Still no idea why the Ivy Bridge drivers from last May wouldn't work but Haswell got an update just last week.

Intel refers to them as members of the same generation, so I assumed they used the same drivers.

Definitely my folly for expecting any kind of logic to Intel GPU or chipset drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jan posted:

As do any calls to Get-AppXPackage with no pipes or arguments. By the looks of it, this is a standard SQLite error message that occurs, well, when a database file is corrupted.

You can maybe use Process Monitor to figure out what file it's trying to open when you trigger that error.