Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

In better news, my good friend and wrenching mentor just bought this. Sight Unseen. In Colorado. It's being delivered in Copenhagen in about a month:

He asked me to help him pick it up. I'm super loving stoked.

That's a beaut :swoon:

Can't wait to hear it blat around the backroads around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone :3: Now his scare is over I need to think about myself as before yesterday I didn't know his side of the family all died of heart issues.

The discount scheme sounds like "don't pay the artificially inflated prices that are created for insurance purposes"

Relevant to healthcare chat, the total bill my parents face for ambulance ride, emergency medical scientific goings-on, CICU stay etc is about £20 in assorted parking fees to come visit. Yall should try some of this NHS bullshit, seriously.

All this weight chat makes me want to start lifting. That's good for your heart right?

It is, and it's really satisfying too. I regret living on the third floor a lot though, as a hard squat day means walking all wobbly in the morning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All this weight chat makes me want to start lifting. That's good for your heart right?

Cardio is better for your heart generally hence the name but to me at least it's less fun. I ride a bike 8 miles every week day and walk at least 2 miles on top of that so that's my cardio.

Liquid Communism posted:

It is, and it's really satisfying too. I regret living on the third floor a lot though, as a hard squat day means walking all wobbly in the morning.

I usually get assigned work that involves stairs after squats. It's the worst.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

I got the same sensation as the first night I ran for more than an hour.

Overall I'm not pleased with my workout last night. I followed a basic workout using th Fitness Buddy app and it just seemed overly complicated. I need to sort out a workout that I can do in 30 minutes after my 45-60 minute run on the elliptical.
Look up barbell complexes, they'll kick your rear end and are kind of fun.
To get you started the Evil 8 Complex is what I do if I don't have time for my usual stuff - https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique
Otherwise look at an actual program (starting strength, stronglifts, etc) over in the YLLS general thread OP - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424

monsterzero posted:

Getting married to a beautiful goonette :regd07: in about two hours.
Haven't had a second thought ever, but I felt like I was going to pass out a minute ago while sitting in a chair. That's normal, right?
Congrats man

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cardio is better for your heart generally hence the name but to me at least it's less fun. I ride a bike 8 miles every week day and walk at least 2 miles on top of that so that's my cardio.

I prefer cardio over weights (no poo poo if you see my Strava) and leave the weights to being in the garage.

Maybe not much longer, I'm going to start working my FTP upwards and that means more raw power = squats and deadlifts. I want to see if I can hit 300watts for 20 minutes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Look up barbell complexes, they'll kick your rear end and are kind of fun.
To get you started the Evil 8 Complex is what I do if I don't have time for my usual stuff - https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique

Good Mornings, all day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

Good Mornings, all day.

I see a lot of people with poor squat form/mobility basically do these.

*also the dude in that Cosgrove complex video's form on the squats in particular is garbage.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 11, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

5k is pretty good when you consider that cancer can easily hit 6 figures

Yeah. In the past six months, my parents have had the following illnesses:

- My dad had a blood infection which shut down his kidneys and damaged his heart. He's been on dialysis three times a week since October and he had to have open heart surgery with two valve replacements. They also had to 'reconstruct much of his heart.' Whatever that means.
- The heart surgeon, best in the area, basically said that my dad shouldn't have survived the surgery. He had basically PTSD for a couple of months afterward and ended up in the ER multiple times due to anxiety. Turns out, if you have chest pains and shortness of breath after you've had open heart surgery, they admit you for a few days as a precaution, every time.
- My dad also had a couple of back surgerys in there
- My mom was diagnosed with heart failure, and had a pacemaker/defibrillator put in.
- My mom was also diagnosed with breast cancer (her second bout, the previous time was 30 years earlier and the other boob) and she had surgery and is currently going through radiation to make sure it stays gone.
- My mom had a blood clot in her heart and was on blood thinners for awhile to get rid of that
- My mom had throat surgery to try to repair her vocals cords, which were damaged from a surgery several years ago

I'm pretty sure they maxed out their insurance forever.

Also, going back to job chat: My boss is a down-to-earth, cool dude. If I sat down with him privately and told him I had a job offer but wanted to stay, what is the likelihood that a) they 'see what they can do' and give me a pay increase, or b) basically fire me on the spot? I mean, worse case, I have a job offer that pays better. I know they wouldn't want to lose me, since they've lost so many other people recently and everybody kind of comes to me for assistance because I'm the only one that knows their rear end from a hole in the ground.

Additionally, my wife wants me to take the job and basically told me I could get a fifth car if I took that job. :lol:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 11, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What the gently caress, Jeremy Clarkson is younger than both my parents? For some reason I thought he was way older.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Enourmo posted:

What the gently caress, Jeremy Clarkson is younger than both my parents? For some reason I thought he was way older.

He doesn't really take care of himself lets be honest here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but he's outlived his life expectancy by 10 years already.

When betty white dies, everybody is going to say "why, she was so young!"

When clarkson dies, it'll be "about loving time, lung cancer or car fire?"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Stealing this from the gibbis thread:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8HdeHtOJs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Additionally, my wife wants me to take the job and basically told me I could get a fifth car if I took that job. :lol:

hey it's not a raise if you blow it on another car

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I flew with United last month with predictable results:

- flight out was cancelled since the plane was declared unairworthy as it was parked at the gate just before boarding was due to start
- next flight out I could get on didn't have any first class seats left so they could only get me into premium coach which is the same as coach just with a few extra inches of legroom
- in flight wifi was down and they kept rebooting the system which caused the in flight entertainment to keep restarting as well
- overall I got into San Fran 6 hours late
- flight back was delayed 3 hours because the plane was late leaving and so when it arrived they just had everyone board with no time to clear
- wifi was still down so they gave everyone free inflight entertainment... which only worked 30 minutes into the flight and 30 minutes before the end as there was no satellite coverage outside of the east and west coast

These are the headline issues and most of them are 1%er gently caress you poors issues but if I am paying for first class I want my loving legroom and decent food ok. There was no overbooking fight club but they did keep asking for people to volunteer offering up cash, hotel and meals by the time they got enough people.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

hey it's not a raise if you blow it on another car

But it's like switching jobs and getting a sweet car with it!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CornHolio posted:

We had our best year last year. But our parent company had losses in their other divisions, so everybody had to suffer. I don't understand it either, but there it is.

I really don't want to leave, I just don't know if I want to stay either. The extra money would be nice (77k to 87k) but it'd be the same position I have now, starting from scratch. At least here I'm respected and know what I'm doing. Then again, in ten years, will I regret staying here vs going there, where it's better structured, privately owned and maxed out production-wise?

Ugh. I hate this.
Don't take the new position. Do send out resumes locally.

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm not going to pretend that 10k is nothing but you're going to lose a quarter to a third it to taxes, increase your commute substantially, increased gas/insurance/maintenance...
Agreed. That 10k is going to be peanuts after taxes and travel expenses.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I doubled the weight I used yesterday and lifted and NOW I'm feeling it!
Bar speed is a big factor but mostly you'll just want to move the weight as much as it takes for those muscles being worked to be fukken zonked. If you're doing the 3x5, remember that the weight you're lifting at the beginning set needs to be moved 14 more times, so plan accordingly.

Man, I haven't been in the gym lately and I'm not happy about that. I like sleeping in, I hate going to the gym, and my budget doesn't like eating surplus calories, but those complexes look like a ton of fun/pain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess the konami code works on the website for the new Canadian $10 bill.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/banknote150/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Stealing this from the gibbis thread:

Please tell me this is real and not pretend. I want to believe.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

Holy crap. I thought he was about my dad's age (70).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Put the summer wheels on the Cayman. I missed that look. :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Our government is badly-written fiction:

Sean Spicer posted:

"You had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn't even sink to using chemical weapons," Spicer said in response to questions about the implications of Assad's chemical attacks.

:stare:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I fly United because I have exceedingly low expectations for medium-distance travel. In flight entertainment never works but I'd rather read a book so I don't care. I've got a lot of miles, but I'm probably going to switch my rewards credit card after this trip.

My return flight is supposed to be on a 777 so I'm tentatively excited since I never seem to get anything besides 757s. But being United we'll either get moved to a smaller plane (and bumped) or the FAs will crack a stink bomb in our cabin right before takeoff.

Edit:

Seminal Flu posted:

Those were just showers...

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 11, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Great news for Delta, as they cancelled something like 4,000 flights this weekend and hosed up a LOT of peoples travel plans. It was partially because of weather in Atlanta (I think). I ended up taking my mom to the airport 3 times over 2 days, and she spent the night in the airport waiting for flights.

So as Delta accumulates that sort of bad press, their competitor uses a brownshirt to eject a paying customer from a plane and loses 80 million dollars in value overnight. Pretty sweet timing!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Great news for Delta, as they cancelled something like 4,000 flights this weekend and hosed up a LOT of peoples travel plans. It was partially because of weather in Atlanta (I think). I ended up taking my mom to the airport 3 times over 2 days, and she spent the night in the airport waiting for flights.

So as Delta accumulates that sort of bad press, their competitor uses a brownshirt to eject a paying customer from a plane and loses 80 million dollars in value overnight. Pretty sweet timing!

That's 800mil$, not 80mil :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

funny Star Wars parody posted:

That's 800mil$, not 80mil :getin:

Numbers are hard, much like our justice boners

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, I had a friend on Facebook literally say that even Hitler didn't use gas.

A direct quote, "Even the nazis chose not to use gas, despite its effectiveness."

I mean, I I'm pretty sure they didn't use it against active combatants, but they sure as hell used it against POWs and everybody else they wants to exterminate. They sure as hell did use gas.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Christ - even his clarification is terrible:

quote:

In no way was I trying to lessen the horrendous nature of the Holocaust. I was trying to draw a distinction of the tactic of using airplanes to drop chemical weapons on population centers. Any attack on innocent people is reprehensible and inexcusable.

Hey, Hitler was a bad guy but at least he never used air dropped chemical weapons!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
As opposed to emptying the population centres and taking all the people to where the gas is.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The original said innocent civilians, not population centers. That's even worse!

Shouty Spice strike again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So the problem, as Spicer sees it, is that Hitler didn't deliver.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The original said innocent civilians, not population centers. That's even worse!

Shouty Spice strike again.

quote:

Comparing the Nazi leader with Syria’s Bashar al-Assad, Spicer told journalists during his regular press briefing at the White House: “We didn’t use chemical weapons in world war two. You had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons.”

Asked to clarify the remarks, he added: “I think when you come to sarin gas, he was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing.”

A reporter in the room shouted that Jews had been targeted. Stuttering and gesticulating, Spicer stumbled on: “Thank you, I appreciate that. There was not in the – he brought them into the Holocaust centres – I understand that. But I’m saying in the way that Assad used them, where he went into towns, dropped them down into the middle of towns.

“So, the use of it, I appreciate the clarification. That was not the intent.”

How do you gently caress up the basic marketing rule of 'don't mention Hitler without thinking carefully about your comments in advance'?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

spog posted:

How do you gently caress up the basic marketing rule of 'don't mention Hitler without thinking carefully about your comments in advance'?

because people must prove :godwin: correct. It is probably the craziest theory I have seen proved time and time again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Trumps administration wouldn't look half as bad if they didn't instantly double down on any mistake pointed out to them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spog posted:

lol, what thinking?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Honestly we should be glad these chucklefucks are still managing to remember to call Hitler the bad guy in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

Hey, Hitler was a bad guy but at least he never used air dropped chemical weapons!

Except I believe the Nazis did do that as well, against retreating troops and civilians late in the war. Not well known and I beleive not unique either, I read earlier of an incident where they bombed both sides of a tunnel with gas

• Locked thread