Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

McGavin posted:

Bad driving puts the enemy team down by two in the first two minutes. Click if you want front row seats to an enemy TVP VTU failing at doing a barrel roll.

Dumber than having that gun as an option on the IS-4?

That's funny. Yesterday, the other team had two players take a bath within the first minute. Different map, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

McGavin posted:

Dumber than having that gun as an option on the IS-4?

But historical accuracy!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NotWearingPants posted:

Apart from choosing a nation, get the hell out of the low tiers ASAP. You may think it's a good idea to hang around playing tiers 1-3 to get a feel for the game before you move up, but don't. The low tiers are generally a poo poo show where it takes forever to get into a game outside of prime time and then 1 or 2 experienced players run around seal clubbing a bunch of newbies who have no idea what the hell is going on.

Yeah, this. People say you should start at the bottom to learn to play. That's bullshit. Tiers 1-3 are entirely different from 4 and up. It's just a giant turd of fail hards

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

welcome to world of tanks, here is a go-kart with a .50 cal strapped to it but be warned, your crew is blind and are particularly bad at actually doing anything. you also do not go as fast as a go-kart. god speed.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Tier 4 is also the tier which is widely considered the most brutal tier in the game to get through, for a lot of reasons. With a couple of exceptions like the Matilda and the SU-85B, tier 4 tanks tend to be... well, crap. And that wouldn't be so bad, they're better than the tanks before them, but they're SO much worse than the tier 5s and 6s, and they'll face tier 5s and 6es a lot. There are some gems at that tier but generally speaking you'll want to find a buddy to help get you through it ASAP.

You should be playing with Goon buddies anyway, of course.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Anyone got some advice for what equipment to use on a Skorp G?

Been running Rammer, Binos, and Net cuz poor, but was thinking Rammer, GLD, Optics may be better?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Been running Rammer, Binos, and Net cuz poor, but was thinking Rammer, GLD, Optics may be better?

The gun has 2.1s aimtime, GLD is going to be extremely minor. It also has 360m view range, so Optics would be fine but unimpressive. Keep Rammer/Binocs/Net.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i look forward to tier 4 inevitably becoming The Best Tier with 357, and we see the Lee ruling its matches with a swift iron fist

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A small part of me wants to watch a battle of 15 Lees per side. I can only imagine that both teams will slowly spiral around as they try to stay hull left around cover.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Rorac posted:

A small part of me wants to watch a battle of 15 Lees per side. I can only imagine that both teams will slowly spiral around as they try to stay hull left around cover.
Ask DezGamez to do it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I finally unlocked the Strv m/74. That giant sloped turret doesn't bounce poo poo does it? I am really enjoying the gun handling on it however, the Strv m/42 is pure garbage compared to this one, so far.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3bKKjzdsI

this new 30v30 looks sick as hell, you guys are all idiots

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
2 marks on my batchat im going for three now and heat in it is actually very good as long as you fully aim the longer shell time isnt noticable since..if you are able to fully aim it takes long anyway lol and that 330 pen that never loses over distance ooo yeah http://wotreplays.com/site/3497710#prokhorovka-turmoilx-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t not much shooting in this one but thats the game i got 2 marks on 5700 assist most my games today have been pretty awesome

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I run net, rammer, and binocs on mine, seems to work out well enough. You'll mostly be sitting stationary sniping poo poo so binocs work best. By the time you get around to cruising the map and the optics would play a part you wouldn't need them anyways because the guys are already spotted or you're up face to face with'em...er, well, face to rear end is more ideal, but whatever

Stringbean posted:

I finally unlocked the Strv m/74. That giant sloped turret doesn't bounce poo poo does it? I am really enjoying the gun handling on it however, the Strv m/42 is pure garbage compared to this one, so far.

The Swedes, to me anyways, always seem like the ones that need to move or hide because they were scared to put good armor on their poo poo

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 12, 2017

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

2 marks on my batchat im going for three now and heat in it is actually very good as long as you fully aim the longer shell time isnt noticable since..if you are able to fully aim it takes long anyway lol and that 330 pen that never loses over distance ooo yeah http://wotreplays.com/site/3497710#prokhorovka-turmoilx-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t not much shooting in this one but thats the game i got 2 marks on 5700 assist most my games today have been pretty awesome

HEAT works great up until you bounce a shell off the tracks or spaced armor on the side of a tank, or hit a 20mm plate at a funny angle and skip right off.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I hate HEAT because I pretty much always aim for tracks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

never load anything slower than 1 km/s

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

a glitch posted:

So I'm just starting out -

Goondolences.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rorac posted:

Open beta when the US tree first showed up, it was 12 Lee's per side, rounds usually ended with whoever accidently spotted better. Or, it was 12 Lee's per side, and then a KV-3 per side that was essentially immune to a Lee and could reliably two shot them. Good times.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ROFLburger posted:

What in god's name is this? :stare:

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What in god's name is this? :stare:

Wot 2 beta testing.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
after 2 mark batchat my E-PEN is so hard right now my recents oo so damp http://imgur.com/a/u40jB

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Turmoilx posted:

after 2 mark batchat my E-PEN is so hard right now my recents oo so damp http://imgur.com/a/u40jB

reported for hacks

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

Hellsau posted:

reported for hacks

:gizz: not a single mod either

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Naw I remember PlaidPony because "Nerses IV" is as far away from PlaidPony as possible, and at some point Nerses posted a really good replay or something. Good times. We should all quit playing World of Tanks.

So, uh, like I said I have a good memory, and I was around for the SCC war and so was PlaidPony. We didn't play together, mind you, but that's where I remember him from.

Cardiac posted:

We don't have to imagine it, think Province which wasn't locked to lower tier at the start.
Is it still in the game?
I only play 8-9s nowadays so :shrug:

I said bowl maps (i.e. Mittengard) and no, Province is gone.

Mans posted:

Frontlines and new MM look really good :)

ROFLburger posted:

Yeah, they pretty much took everything I mentioned (repairs/reloads, cumulative profits/expenses, respawning) except a more or less perpetual battle with at-will drop-in/out. This seems like it'd be a good way to grind tanks if they expand it beyond tier 10, but as it stands now it at least seems like something else to do with your top tiers since CW, for example, doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

Creamed Cormp posted:

Holy poo poo do the new light tanks look absolutely worthless to play : poo poo DPM, guns that are guaranteed to miss half of their shots (lmao 0.42 acc at tier 10, coupled with typical french gun stats means that a third of your shots will miss at ranges above 100 meters, guaranteed), poo poo clips, poo poo survivability all that for 10 more meters to the spotting range. Literally ANY medium tank is going to outperform them massively, and the garbage map design means that 99% of the time the ever so slightly improved view range will be pointless.

Good job WG, maybe try to play light tanks once in a while to see what you should actually change about them.

Prav posted:

the actual bloom values are actually very good for all the T10s but the Rhm and Sheridan/152. but with 0,42-0,46 (lmao) base acc it still adds up a lot of loving misses.

so the idea seems to be that LTs drive up to spitting distance of HTs and then die because they have 1400 HP and medium tanks exist

They seem to have very deliberately limited penetration and accuracy to prevent the new LTs from being used as CHAI-snipers. It appears that they want the new LTs to be pure scouts (holding fire at range) and then close-range ambushers, akin to the autoloader playstyle.

a glitch posted:

So I'm just starting out - going by the OP I'm considering going with Soviet, Chinese or British tanks, but I was wondering how the Czech and Swedish trees are? They're not covered in the OP.

Also if there's a faction that annoys people most then I'll take that into consideration.

As others have mentioned, you'll probably have the easiest time with the US, Soviet, or German trees (the original three.) I suppose the UK one will be OK as well, but avoid the French and Chinese to begin with (we'll explain this later.) Do seek the assistance of veteran goons though:

NotWearingPants posted:

Information on joining the Goon Tanks/Boats Discord and also joining the in-game goons chat channel is in the OP in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406

The goons chat channel is usually pretty dead these days though. It's usually like 2 of the 6-11 PANSYs online and one other non-PANSY goon. So yeah, just join PANSY.

Even I've stopped habitually entering the in-game Goons channel, because I've got most goons in PANSY and most of them regardless are on Discord.

L-Boned posted:

WoT would be a lot less frustrating if the guns research applied to more tanks. For instance, the 88mm gun on the Panther II is technically different than on the tier 5 TD (can't remember the nomenclature). It was the same drat gun, and it is stupid you have to research it again.

Pretty much true, but there has always been differentiation between tank and TD guns (think KWK vs. PAK on the German line) in WoT where the guns are basically the same but the TD versions are a little better. It's a total XP sink/speedbump though, you're right.

By the way, the Panther 2 has the "regular" long 88 like the Tiger for example, and the JT has the TD version of that; the tier 5 Toaster has a unique version of the TD gun (lower pen and aim time, otherwise pretty much the same.)

Stringbean posted:

The Swedish MTs do gain better gun handling as you go up the tiers but they don't have armor (until they transition to HTs at tier 8.)

Turmoilx posted:

You are a very strange person, and that's coming from me, a normal person by comparison. I mean that in the nicest possible way. :glomp:

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
So let's say i'm starting on the NA server from scratch and want to get up to at least tier 5/6 asap and i'm willing to spend some money to do it, what would be the most efficient way? I'm thinking buying a gold+credits bundle and 2-3 premiums for exp conversion/crew training? Maybe tack on some exp/crew exp boosters?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

raffie posted:

So let's say i'm starting on the NA server from scratch and want to get up to at least tier 5/6 asap and i'm willing to spend some money to do it, what would be the most efficient way? I'm thinking buying a gold+credits bundle and 2-3 premiums for exp conversion/crew training? Maybe tack on some exp/crew exp boosters?

Buy a Cromwell B or Rudy, do two thousand stronghold battles, store up a bunch of free XP, have fun. Even without converting, you get a poo poo ton of experience by doing fastbois strongholds, and 5% of that should be plenty for modules. Don't bother buying boosters, they give those loving things away like crazy.

I guess you could also buy a Defender and do a bunch of tier 8 strongholds with that too and also make a hundred million credits.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

raffie posted:

What do you mean, "want to get up to at least tier 5/6 asap"? What tanks do you want to play? Why do you just want to get to tier 5/6? Not sure what your ultimate goal is here.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
What i meant was to gather enough free exp to unlock tier 5 or 6 tanks without having to grind up through the lower tiers. I'm looking at tanks i'm familiar with so the american and russian mediums and heavies predominantly although i don't mind the german meds either. I have less than 10 games on my NA account and don't really want to deal with the lower tiers and wait times.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How does the Improve result thing work for personal missions? I did HT-15-3 without honors last night (poked out of base in Malkanovka, blocked 10k, shot 2 peeps, and died). If I try to repeat it to get honors got I lose the reward? Does claiming the female crew member prevent me from repeating it?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Improving a result gives you the bonus you missed the first time, it doesn't take anything away.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

raffie posted:

What i meant was to gather enough free exp to unlock tier 5 or 6 tanks without having to grind up through the lower tiers. I'm looking at tanks i'm familiar with so the american and russian mediums and heavies predominantly although i don't mind the german meds either. I have less than 10 games on my NA account and don't really want to deal with the lower tiers and wait times.

Church3 is probably the best option for this.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Church3 is the best.

I think you meant to say this.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Scavenger hunt stuff will be done "within a few days"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Scavenger hunt stuff will be done "within a few days"

I am jerking off two invisible dicks right now to that comment.

I cannot fathom what can possibly be taking them this long. It should be just be a spread sheet and 5th grade math no?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The extra time is probably to fill out the "Ban Elusif" paperwork. RIP me.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

ROFLburger posted:

Looks sick as hell until half the scrublord fuckwits that call themselves teammates are stuck waiting 5 minutes to respawn because they failtrained right into the enemy guns 2 minutes after the game started.

Hate to admit it, Shanky_McChatbanned might actually get logged in to do some 5 man goon platoons but I already know I will be swearing in true Shanky style.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Buy a Cromwell B or Rudy, do two thousand stronghold battles, store up a bunch of free XP, have fun. Even without converting, you get a poo poo ton of experience by doing fastbois strongholds, and 5% of that should be plenty for modules. Don't bother buying boosters, they give those loving things away like crazy.

I guess you could also buy a Defender and do a bunch of tier 8 strongholds with that too and also make a hundred million credits.

What do we need for our team? I need to figure out which ones I need to grind up 6th sense on.

Atomizer posted:

They seem to have very deliberately limited penetration and accuracy to prevent the new LTs from being used as CHAI-snipers. It appears that they want the new LTs to be pure scouts (holding fire at range) and then close-range ambushers, akin to the autoloader playstyle.

If only they made light tanks where they could not be worse at ambushing than mediums.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 12, 2017

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Hopefully they give the 30v30 mode a reason to care about using tier 10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
30v30 with a one (maybe two) tier spread would be fun.