Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice! that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Glad you got a bump and more vacation. It's definitely a vote of confidence in your work.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Glad you got a bump and more vacation. It's definitely a vote of confidence in your work.

This right here. Nice!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nicely done! The best of both worlds :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice. Grass isn't always greener so it certainly doesn't hurt to do what you did IMO.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CornHolio posted:

So, I sat down with my boss (who is a pretty swell guy) and told him I had an opportunity. He went and got approval for a pay increase - $77,000 to $82,245 plus a third week of vacation.

I'm hoping it was smart to go see my boss and stick around this circus where at least I know what I'm doing. If not, well, I'm apparently employable for more money elsewhere.

Good work.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CornHolio posted:

So, I sat down with my boss (who is a pretty swell guy) and told him I had an opportunity. He went and got approval for a pay increase - $77,000 to $82,245 plus a third week of vacation.
:hfive: Sounds like a great outcome to me, well done

Completely unrelated after ~9 months of CL and eBay alerts I snagged a rowing machine (Concept 2 Model D) for cheap a couple miles from my house. Between that and getting the trials bike back out it's time to get my endurance back to where it should be. Also means more calories which I'm not thrilled about but :meh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Diss Richmond and we're fuckin fighting, though :colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CornHolio posted:

I'm hoping it was smart to go see my boss and stick around this circus where at least I know what I'm doing. If not, well, I'm apparently employable for more money elsewhere.

Excellent!

Open communication is a great thing and I'm sure your boss appreciated your honest conversation.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

:hfive: Sounds like a great outcome to me, well done

Completely unrelated after ~9 months of CL and eBay alerts I snagged a rowing machine (Concept 2 Model D) for cheap a couple miles from my house. Between that and getting the trials bike back out it's time to get my endurance back to where it should be. Also means more calories which I'm not thrilled about but :meh:

Nice work! How much did you end up paying for the Model D?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Word from the shop is $4k for a junkyard motor, $7k for new, plus inspecting for potential transmission damage. As much joy as the car has brought me over the years it's not worth it. Junkyard blocks are about $1k, so even overhauling my original block which I still have it's $3k labor to install plus whatever the machine shop charges to fix it; it needs pistons and rods at a minimum.

Time to start looking for a new ride. My mom seems to be guiding me toward taking out a loan for a new car since I'll be graduated in a year, but :gonk:. I'm leaning toward a 90s-early 00s beater pickup, I have a short commute and the utility would be nice.

Mazda curse claims another one.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That sucks. Also, don't take out a loan on future employment, granted I got my MBA in 2006, but it took me quite a while to find a job, and it would have boned me hard.

Besides, if you get a pickup, you can more easily carry bigger rockets! :D

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CornHolio posted:

Congratulations and well done. That vacation is pretty big if you calculate out how much it's actually worth on top of the pay raise.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alarbus posted:

That sucks. Also, don't take out a loan on future employment, granted I got my MBA in 2006, but it took me quite a while to find a job, and it would have boned me hard.

Besides, if you get a pickup, you can more easily carry bigger rockets! :D

Yeah I feel sketchy enough accepting the subsidized Stafford loans for school, the idea of having a car payment terrifies me.

E: the other thing is interior space. As big as modern cars are they tend to have big fat door panels and center consoles that pinch my legs against the steering wheel and make my feet go numb on long drives, my mom's escape and sister's cx5 both do that even worse than the protégé, and they're crossovers. I put up with it in the msp because hey free car, but if I'm paying real actual dollars for a ride it's drat well gonna be something comfortable.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 12, 2017

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Rhyno posted:

So uh. tell me about Charlotte NC.

My company is moving me there later this year, well they want to anyway. It's a fun town, NoDa, Plaza Midwood have a lot of breweries. If you like the outdoors, the charlotte whitewater center is pimp. Go Pro Motorsports complex is a loving awesome kart track. CCR-SCCA puts on a lot of big autocrosses in town. That said I dont like CCR that much, they are a bunch of serious buisness try hards. They have a lot of national titles, but still, they are kind of dicks. Oh, and the Z-Max dragway is a loving blast when they do 4 wide nationals. That's a level of noise that id consider violent.

My big issues with moving to Charlotte for me is the rent price increase. Charlotte is loving expensive if you're single with no roommates. That and i'm grumpy with my company. Ive been doing R&D MechE work with them for 3 years now, but haven't been promoted yet. They aren't planning to give me a raise for moving, and the raise I got this year isn't consistent with the change in cost of living. Also planning on selling my M3 to help with the move. No way I can have 3 cars in Charlotte right now and getting rid of my only car payment would be real nice.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 12, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I apparently did mansplaining earlier. It's pretty cool you should try it sometime because people really get riled up about you just talking to them about things that normal human beings have no issue with.

I am sure I have over the course of my life and likely do on a regular basis without realizing. This was overt mansplaining though; which is a lot to recognize from someone pretty ignorant to SJW speak

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I watched the entire thing and I'm not entirely sure why. It makes the Daredevil series feel like high art.

DD was good though? :confused:

CornHolio posted:

making it rain :homebrew:

Good for you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Somewhat Heroic posted:

DD was a slow burning show but after the first half of S1 it got pretty decent. I thought the first half of Iron Fist was ok but then it just went to total poo poo. Luke Cage was just ok but I don't think I'd watch a followup season of either of them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Residency Evil posted:

Nice work! How much did you end up paying for the Model D?
$300, feel like I stole it compared to what I've seen them listed at. It's a bit older with the PM3 vs the PM5 but that doesn't bother me at all.

Enourmo posted:

Time to start looking for a new ride. My mom seems to be guiding me toward taking out a loan for a new car since I'll be graduated in a year, but :gonk:. I'm leaning toward a 90s-early 00s beater pickup, I have a short commute and the utility would be nice.
gently caress no do not take out a loan, find a $1500 beater Ford Ranger or something and drive it until it rusts apart around you then maybe think about taking out a loan. So many people I graduated with took out loans then either didn't find work or didn't make what they thought they would be. Best thing I did was buying a $1k pickup truck then a few years later splurged for a $3k VW that I'm still driving ~180k and 8 years later.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

$300, feel like I stole it compared to what I've seen them listed at. It's a bit older with the PM3 vs the PM5 but that doesn't bother me at all.

Holy crap you did steal that. I was trolling CL for months helping the wife find one. Model D's never sell for less than $700 here, and any priced that low are sold instantly. The rest sit for longer at $800 or more. We ended up with a Model C with the PM3 for $600. Still a really nice rower though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I apparently did mansplaining earlier. It's pretty cool you should try it sometime because people really get riled up about you just talking to them about things that normal human beings have no issue with.
Anyone who uses the term "mansplaining" unironically is someone you probably don't want to spend too much time talking to.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

InitialDave posted:

Anyone who uses the term "mansplaining" unironically is someone you probably don't want to spend too much time talking to.

Yeah agreed. It's called "explaining condescendingly" and anyone with the requisite knowledge and lack of social awareness does it. To add gender into it is, funnily enough, sexist.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I really liked Daredevil, but it's like "good TV" good. After watching Iron Fist it becomes art by comparison.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NitroSpazzz posted:

gently caress no do not take out a loan, find a $1500 beater Ford Ranger or something and drive it until it rusts apart around you then maybe think about taking out a loan. So many people I graduated with took out loans then either didn't find work or didn't make what they thought they would be. Best thing I did was buying a $1k pickup truck then a few years later splurged for a $3k VW that I'm still driving ~180k and 8 years later.

Pro advice right here. I was just looking to upgrade my Civic to something more modern a couple weeks ago, but car loans are getting out of hand, it's so much easier to get a $15,000 loan than it would be to get a $5,000 loan. I don't want or need a car that costs $18k, but even finding a lender to do lower value loans is surprisingly difficult now

Even worse than finding a lender is them tanking my credit score with inquiries, only to learn that their loan terms are obnoxious. Best offer that I got was 3 years 21% APR with $1000 down and a $1500 trade in. My credit is average and I'm looking at lower value vehicles, so I'm not expecting "good" terms, but gently caress that noise

Anyways, here's a cute dog escaping from the vet https://youtu.be/8A0acTzbFcI

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah agreed. It's called "explaining condescendingly" and anyone with the requisite knowledge and lack of social awareness does it. To add gender into it is, funnily enough, sexist.

poo poo wasn't even condescending, they posted a photo of the xenomorph from Alien wearing a tiny bikini posing with a mic and I asked "Is that Grace Jones?", wandered off to find the famous pose it was copying and then posted it next to it.

Mansplaining at it's finest :v:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Rhyno: look up security jobs. I had no experience and applied for one on a whim thanks to someone here suggesting it. I got started at like $17 an hour just signing people in and out of a data center. It was slow as poo poo so I got to do school work and get paid for it.

That's always my emergency gig if poo poo goes south.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

Holy poo poo, you did steal that. I have an old Model C that I used when I was home from college, but the Model Ds we used were much nicer. The PM3 monitor doesn't make a huge difference. It's totally fine for training/working out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Door Frame posted:

Anyways, here's a cute dog escaping from the vet https://youtu.be/8A0acTzbFcI

Good doggie!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah, I'm a girl and I can be a condescending rear end in a top hat just fine, believe me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a rather sobering day at work today and realized that while I love my job it is no longer a defining part of me. I don't need to be "the comic book guy" anymore and would probably welcome a change. So I hope she does get the NC job, it would be a great kickstart for both of us.

That said, time to start ditching all my extra garbage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This has to be the lowest effort spam I've ever received. "Worldwide Global Company"?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I had a rather sobering day at work today and realized that while I love my job it is no longer a defining part of me. I don't need to be "the comic book guy" anymore and would probably welcome a change. So I hope she does get the NC job, it would be a great kickstart for both of us.

I've found that it's easy to just let inertia do its thing. But then, a big change requires a decision and, if you go with it, it often puts you in a much better place than you were before.

Then inertia settles in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, if she goes I go. This is my home, most of my family is here and the bulk of my friends but nothing I need to survive. I'm sure I can make friends in Charlotte.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Fwiw, Charlotte, Asheville, and western NC has some pretty cool bits (breweries and rafting/water sports), and you're not far from the ocean either if that's your thing.

Personally I hate the ocean (or rather the touristy crap that goes along) but anytime I meet someone from the Midwest they assume I visit the beach every chance I get. So.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never been a fan a large bodies of water. This whole mild winter and non rusted cars thing is pretty enticing.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I've been in Asheville for years and I still haven't been to any of the beaches in NC or SC. My friends back home in Ohio asked me about the beaches constantly. "No, I live on the other side if the state."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The beach is a Midwest thing?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I've been in Asheville for years and I still haven't been to any of the beaches in NC or SC. My friends back home in Ohio asked me about the beaches constantly. "No, I live on the other side if the state."

What's your opinion about Asheville? I love visiting, not sure I would want to live there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

In Michigan most of us go to a lake quite often and it's a very big boat culture here

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

funny Star Wars parody posted:

In Michigan most of us go to a lake quite often and it's a very big boat culture here

Likewise in Minnesota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Personally I hate lakes because they feel grimy and seaweedy and gross but the Great Lakes and especially Lake Michigan and the northern parts of Lake Huron are wonderful

• Locked thread