Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's 100% clear what happened. It just took too long and got a bit boring, like digging a hole for 10 minutes on the Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Luckily I got a sneak peek at episode 2 and the first 15 minutes is Mike explaining the plan to a confused Gus

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

It might be kind of suspicious that the tracker moves inside Mike’s house while he works on it, but generic GPS receivers weren’t as accurate in 2002, and they’d have to be paying pretty close attention to notice anyway, so eh.

It's not GPS, it's a radio transmitter. All the receiver knows is the vector and the distance. If they were far enough away, him moving the transmitter into the house wouldn't be super obvious.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah it's 100% clear what happened. It just took too long and got a bit boring, like digging a hole for 10 minutes on the Americans.

Are you kidding? imagine the confusion if the scene was shorter!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

It's not GPS, it's a radio transmitter. All the receiver knows is the vector and the distance. If they were far enough away, him moving the transmitter into the house wouldn't be super obvious.

So they have to have their goons in range to get a radio signal, yet they don’t see Mike leaving the courthouse?

I guess Mike was pretty sure they weren’t watching him that night, but he left the tracker behind so as not to make it easy for them on the off‐chance they were.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I found the tracking device scheme pretty hard to follow until the ending made it clear, but then again I kept getting distracted because of how plodding and boring the entire thing was

also why is the show so loving dark. even Jimmy and Kim do all their legal work with the lights off

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

So they have to have their goons in range to get a radio signal, yet they don’t see Mike leaving the courthouse?

I guess Mike was pretty sure they weren’t watching him that night, but he left the tracker behind so as not to make it easy for them on the off‐chance they were.

The whole point of the radio tracker is so their goons don't have to sit on him 24/7.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't take this trackerchat anymore, see you after the next episode.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Love this show. In love with Kim. I thought that was her in the Black Mirror episode Hated in the Nation but it's not, it's the actress from Game of Thrones.

Minor pet peeve: I'm not a fan of shots where A is surreptitiously following B and A is absurdly close to B, in this case with Mike and Nacho, in the middle of the desert no less. The Wire regularly did this with their police-issue black Maximas parked across the street from gang activity and surveillance teams on the roofs of neighboring buildings. I get that it makes the shot more dramatic, but it takes me out of the moment.

=/=

=

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Jerusalem posted:

Either that or he'll just play it to Kim as part of his ongoing effort to prove that Jimmy cannot be trusted as a lawyer.

But, doesn't Kim already know at least that Jimmy did something underhanded to get her the case and she just doesn't want to know the details?

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you guys should actually pay attention and turn off your phones so you can figure out what Mike is doing.

Amen

The epidemic of Face Blindness continues to sweep the globe.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really solid episode, if an incredibly slow burn.

Some of the cinematography during Mike's scenes was beautiful. The music was great too. I missed this show so drat much.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Longbaugh01 posted:

The epidemic of Face Blindness continues to sweep the globe.

How about from this angle:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Emmanuel Lewis defines battery as "the act of beating someone or something with successive blows."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't feel that Mike's sequence was overly long in that it was just the right length to feel real, deliberate, and tense.

But it did bother me that we waited a year for this and for the story to get moving and we're watching the minutes tick away for one very simple plot point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I didn't feel that Mike's sequence was overly long in that it was just the right length to feel real, deliberate, and tense.

But it did bother me that we waited a year for this and for the story to get moving and we're watching the minutes tick away for one very simple plot point.

I'm sure the plot will continue next week.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

socketwrencher posted:

How about from this angle:

Did Benedict Wong gain weight for a role or just really let himself go?

fake edit: googled it, it was to play Kublai Khan :unsmith:

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/benedict-wongs-epic-transformation-in-to-kublai-khan-for-marco-polo-series-9912328.html

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steve2911 posted:

Some of the cinematography during Mike's scenes was beautiful.

This is what prevented it from being boring to me. A lot of other cable dramas look like loving soap operas compared to this and Breaking Bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So what if that investment banker from season 2 that Kim and Jimmy tricked into buying the Tequila, works at Mesa Verde?

Also did they not notice that the tracker was on another car, inside another car's gas tank thingy? Wouldn't they of expected him to found it if Mike changed cars and kept the tracker?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 12, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I'm sure the plot will continue next week.

you must be new to the show...

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Okay, one last time. Via Reddit.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
This is getting painful. If anyone is still confused about the gas caps and tracking devices here's a handy guide. There were 4 tracking devices in the episode, one in the job car, one in Mike's regular car, the one Mike bought, and the fresh one the goons at the end swapped with the "dead battery" one.

Edit:^^ God. loving. Dammit...efb...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh there was two trackers, I was wondering why he took the other tracker gas top and put it in his own car. Like some kinda of crazy person.

Why would they need to track both cars if they already knew what his real car was?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 12, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Ah, the Better Call Saul Season Three premiere. Up there with the likes of Primer, Memento, Inception, Fight Club, and The Usual Suspects.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tenzarin posted:

Why would they need to track both cars if they already knew what his real car was?

What do you even mean by this? To track him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I can't wait to see what Jimmy replaces the rainbow with.

Actually, my favorite part of the show is at the start of each episode, and at the start of the podcast on how they made it. They don't diminish each other at all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Steve2911 posted:

What do you even mean by this? To track him.

They could of like showered him in trackers at that point, why track both cars when they already knew where he lived? I take it the trackers was there in his own car before he even got back from the aborted job.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

The 5th tracker was in the parlor, under Col. Mustard, by the grassy knoll, with the candlestick.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
JESUS you goons this really simple

Mike needs to cross the river in a boat with his fox, chicken, and bag of feed in tow. He can't take them all at once and if he leaves the fox with the chicken the fox will eat the chicken. If he leaves the chicken with the feed the chicken will eat the feed. So what he has to do is cross with the chicken and leave it on the other side. Then he takes the feed and leaves it on the other side but this time takes the chicken back. Then he takes the fox over to the other side leaving it with the feed as the fox has no taste for chicken feed. He is now free to take the chicken to the other side where they are all safe under his watchful eye

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tenzarin posted:

They could of like showered him in trackers at that point, why track both cars when they already knew where he lived? I take it the trackers was there in his own car before he even got back from the aborted job.

It stands to reason that they also planned to track him when he goes out in his normal car. So as to know where he is. One in each vehicle isn't exactly excessive.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

God drat it.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

New season, let's see what goons are sayi......

:yikes:

I like the slow burn storyline, cinematography, and performances. Top quality show, better than breaking bad.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

It stands to reason that they also planned to track him when he goes out in his normal car. So as to know where he is. One in each vehicle isn't exactly excessive.

They also no doubt found his disposable car by tracking his real car.

That's also why he met the guy at 4AM while leaving the cap at home, so they'd think he was sleeping.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I like the slow burn storyline, cinematography, and performances. Top quality show, better than breaking bad.

To me, it's Different but Equal.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

New season, let's see what goons are sayi......

:yikes:

quote:

better than breaking bad.

Congrats, you just said a worse thing than anybody. How did you manage that?

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

Whatever, sorry I'm not sorry.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo people the tracker thing is so goddamn simple

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

It's not that controversial of an opinion and I've heard it sprinkled throughout BCS's run. I don't share it, but it's not ridiculous. The creators of this show have clearly honed their craft since BB started and it shows.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

I'll recant on "better". Like the posters above me state, different but equal is probably more fair and I think through the first 2 seasons the creators' craft is noticeably better than BB through the first two seasons.

I'm really enjoying the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tenzarin posted:

Oh there was two trackers, I was wondering why he took the other tracker gas top and put it in his own car. Like some kinda of crazy person.

They aren't trying to figure out which car is his, they are trying to figure out where he's going. They put one in his real car to find out where he goes normally. They put one in that burner car to see where he goes on his secret missions. They want to know where he's going.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
This might get me yelled at by people here, but when the black guy accidentally overhears what's on the tape recorder and Michael Mckean starts freaking out, that was planned to happen, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ego-bot posted:

This might get me yelled at by people here, but when the black guy accidentally overhears what's on the tape recorder and Michael Mckean starts freaking out, that was planned to happen, right?

Yeah, he had it face down with the play button pressed so as soon as the batteries went in it started up.

• Locked thread