Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"tsss fiat toch" is a fantastic comment

something like "sure is a Fiat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Engine pull started:

"well they say to run one..."

Buyer confirmed that it was the timing belt that broke. I feel awful, but it's still thrilling to see the engine pull actually happen, with motivated mechanics working on it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Buyer confirmed that it was the timing belt that broke. I feel awful, but it's still thrilling to see the engine pull actually happen, with motivated mechanics working on it this not happen to me.

:v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're pretty lucky it went to a chill dutch guy with a racing shop and not some lawyer's kid living just up the road. You're probably legally protected by BaTs sales agreement, but life could have become very difficult.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Engine pull started:

"well they say to run one..."

Buyer confirmed that it was the timing belt that broke. I feel awful, but it's still thrilling to see the engine pull actually happen, with motivated mechanics working on it.
Was the belt change past interval?

Also shame on Ferrari for having such a short planned life on the belt. Even my uncle who had one of these said "Why would you do that?!" when I reminded him of the schedule.

E: Emailing the story and pics to my uncle. He'll be horrified.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 12, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

You're pretty lucky it went to a chill dutch guy with a racing shop and not some lawyer's kid living just up the road. You're probably legally protected by BaTs sales agreement, but life could have become very difficult.

I don't think there's any worry (even if dude wasn't chill). The buyer inspected and drove the car, had it shipped across an ocean and was doing triple-digit speeds with a car in the service window. No lawyer is going to pick up that case.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Kimbo, you dodged one hell of a bullet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wow...so is that an interference engine? Please tell me it isn't.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That seems really unlikely. So, yeah, gonna be a few bent valves there.

Ouch.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

you know deep down what the answer is

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just noticed you can see the 25mm spacers in that last shot.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sten Freak posted:

Was the belt change past interval?
Also shame on Ferrari for having such a short planned life on the belt. Even my uncle who had one of these said "Why would you do that?!" when I reminded him of the schedule.
E: Emailing the story and pics to my uncle. He'll be horrified.
Yeah, it was definitely past 3 years 30k miles. The major service was 6/2012, just under 5 years, maybe 4.5k miles. It's kind of bullshit the belt is that fragile, but what can you do.

Powershift posted:

I don't know that BaT adds any legal stuff on top of your private (off-site) sale. I suppose some kinds of misrepresentation of the car in the listing could be pinned on you, but not BaT. Bill of Sale obviously stated as-is condition.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
While it sucks for the buyer, it's really cool that he's keeping you (and therefore those of us playing along at home) updated with pictures.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just like an overdue oil change will flush out protective gunk and spin a bearing, crossing all those time zones triggered the belt's timed destruction.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

It's kind of bullshit the belt is that fragile, but what can you do.

What kind of unicorn jizz do they make their timing belts out of that they can't go 5000 miles/5years? That's loving ridiculous.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fknlo posted:

What kind of unicorn jizz do they make their timing belts out of that they can't go 5000 miles/5years? That's loving ridiculous.

Always wondered the same (I've been reading about Esprits). I imagine it has something to do with the stiff-as-hell valve springs making the belt work for its living, coupled with engineering that isn't as thorough as a major car manufacturer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it still seems like a solvable problem with more modern belt materials and the drop in costs of short-run manufacturing (i.e. if perhaps relocating idlers resulted in a longer life).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, it still seems like a solvable problem with more modern belt materials and the drop in costs of short-run manufacturing (i.e. if perhaps relocating idlers resulted in a longer life).

I was thinking it was more sloppy manufacturing tolerances than anything. If the belt was changed in '12, then it was using a belt made with modern material and manufacturing. If the belt itself is not the problem, then there's got to be alignment, gear profile, or some other design deficiency, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It is a Ferrari. I wouldn't put it past them to insist the belt had to be made using whatever poo poo passed for "rubber" to their engineers at the time the car was designed.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
It probably has a lot to do with cam profile as said before, but it certainly has quite a few valve to actuate.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What is the largest belt-driven V8? The only one I can think of is the 928's motor, but there's gotta be some others.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toyotas UZ series engines were belt driven- they went out to 4.7L with the 3UZ.

I cant think of any other V8's that are bigger than that with a timing belt tho? The new Toyota UR engines use timing chains, same as their VD diesel V8's.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I can understand mileage killing the belt but the fact it sat for 2 years beyond schedule after only going less than 5k miles before shredding is absurd.

Good luck to the new buyer and his team. As I recall it's a performance shop right? Maybe they can tweak some stuff while they're in there.

Uncle's response as former 348ts owner to story: :sad:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Engine capacity won't be much of a factor, as has been mentioned, cam profile, valve spring strength and number of valves are probably more relevant.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Engine capacity won't be much of a factor, as has been mentioned, cam profile, valve spring strength and number of valves are probably more relevant.

You're right -- I guess the only factor displacement really adds is total belt length via longer stroke, and that would be reasonably dealt with guides. So V8s are harder on belts by virtue of number of cylinders. With 4-valve V12s even worse.
Somewhere, an LS engineer chuckles.

Sten Freak posted:

Good luck to the new buyer and his team. As I recall it's a performance shop right? Maybe they can tweak some stuff while they're in there.

I'm gonna try to put in a good word for them to try to bring it up to 9k redline. The 3rd overtone harmonic at that RPM would be glorious.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Imagine your face if you'd tracked that sucker and it poo poo the bed at turn 1. Do never Ferrari again.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

kimbo305 posted:

Somewhere, a L44 engineer chuckles.

Fixed that for you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is/was it a matter of there were no real consequences if the motor shits the bed at 30k miles? You have the combo of high end performance car company along with Italian work ethic and you are asking for trouble.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What is the largest belt-driven V8? The only one I can think of is the 928's motor, but there's gotta be some others.

My Lexus LS430 has a timing belt, wasn't really too thrilled about it at first, but from what I've seen the original belts can last over 200k although it's obviously not recommended. Apparently Lexus over engineered the gently caress out of the timing belts as well as people were reporting them showing hardly any wear way past the recommend change interval, so that has made me feel better about it.

Kinda surprised at Ferrari using timing belts, I would have never guessed that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My Lexus LS430 has a timing belt, wasn't really too thrilled about it at first, but from what I've seen the original belts can last over 200k although it's obviously not recommended. Apparently Lexus over engineered the gently caress out of the timing belts as well as people were reporting them showing hardly any wear way past the recommend change interval, so that has made me feel better about it.

It is odd. Two motorcycles, a China scooter, an Suv and a car, and I don't have a timing belt on the property, including yard equipment.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

That is b/c Lexus. Toyota came out swinging and literally made the best quality car in the world with the LS (really don't argue). I worked for a Lexus dealer in the 90's getting in a 400k mile traveling salesman's LS you didn't know it til the sweep gauges went off and the ODO showed. Instead of marketing or gimmicks they made the highest quality poo poo. And the domestics were left scratching their asses.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Yup, the belt outlives the tensioners.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

everdave posted:

That is b/c Lexus. Toyota came out swinging and literally made the best quality car in the world with the LS (really don't argue). I worked for a Lexus dealer in the 90's getting in a 400k mile traveling salesman's LS you didn't know it til the sweep gauges went off and the ODO showed. Instead of marketing or gimmicks they made the highest quality poo poo. And the domestics were left scratching their asses.

I wish Toyota from the 90's to about 05 still made cars.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish Toyota from the 90's to about 05 still made cars.

You and me both, and you're right 2005 is the cut-off. Once they moved all their production to the US for US market it was all downhill.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

You and me both, and you're right 2005 is the cut-off. Once they moved all their production to the US for US market it was all downhill.

Me too. But they established their domince and still make good stuff though there are some oversights (Tacoma wheel vibration, my new Prius has some fit and finish issues)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Yup, the belt outlives the tensioners.

Do they give warning before they go? I hope it makes noise or something :ohdear:

Terrible Robot posted:

Both my Lexus and Scion were built in Japan thank god. I'm going to keep these going as long as I can.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Drove the Boxster today for the 2nd time since registering it with the Mass RMV.
I keep goofing up shifts because I'm still in 348 dogleg mode :(
The most common mistake is trying to pull down from 2->3 and remembering last minute that 2 is on the back row.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

And all the noise it makes translates to "Whut are you doingk das nincompoop?"

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Do they give warning before they go? I hope it makes noise or something :ohdear:

Mine has been making bad-bearing noises for about 10k miles now, but its luck of the draw like any bearing failure, I guess. All UZ engines are interference except for the 1990-1993/4 motors.

It's not especially cheap to replace them though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Both my Lexus and Scion were built in Japan thank god. I'm going to keep these going as long as I can.

The new Prius C I got my wife Made in Japan was part of my decision to buy

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

everdave posted:

The new Prius C I got my wife Made in Japan was part of my decision to buy

That sounds familiar. Jxxx VIN numbers here too, none of that inferior UK made stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Tsuru posted:

That sounds familiar. Jxxx VIN numbers here too, none of that inferior UK made stuff...

Won't have to worry about that much longer when the UK leaves the EU and the Japanese manufacturers close up shop due to not having tariff free access to Europe anymore and sue the government for breach of contract.

• Locked thread