Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my chromecast keeps showing me pics of a really gorgeous national park on lake michigan and it makes me want to visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I went up to the UP once and it was gorgeous.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

funny Star Wars parody posted:

In Michigan most of us go to a lake quite often and it's a very big boat culture here

All 2 months they arent frozen :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

I went up to the UP once and it was gorgeous.

The UP is my jam. Absolutely beautiful. We're waiting for my niece to be old enough to stay with the grandparents for a week or come along again and planning a full week Boundary Waters trip in northern MN as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Talked to my Dad about the possible move and he ordered me to not sell the MS6, he even offered up a spot in his garage for long term storage. His rational is I've poured so much time and heart into it I'd probably never get over selling it. He's probably right. Plus resale value on the car is total poo poo these days. And if/when I need it NC is a cheap plane ticket away and I can drive back. He also offered up his shed for storage of things I don't want to move but also don't want to part with so I might put my "keeper" collection of nerd poo poo at his place if we take off at any point.

It's really nice having solid parental relationships these days.

WEIGHT CHAT

I did some dead lifts the other night but I am terrified of hurting myself if my stance is off so for now, until I get better at this I am just doing bench presses, squats and overhead presses.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

WEIGHT CHAT

I did some dead lifts the other night but I am terrified of hurting myself if my stance is off so for now, until I get better at this I am just doing bench presses, squats and overhead presses.

Use just the bar for a million reps until the movement becomes muscle memory. Then add a little weight. As long as you're not arching your back and trying to wrench far too much weight you'll be fine. As soon as you feel your form breaking down (generally when you start to get tired), that's the time to stop for the day.

If in doubt pay for an hour of personal training at a full on powerlifting gym. There's form videos everywhere online so you should be good.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
So it turns out that CHIPS is a terrible terrible film. I'm not sure why I expected anything else

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Personally I hate lakes because they feel grimy and seaweedy and gross but the Great Lakes and especially Lake Michigan and the northern parts of Lake Huron are wonderful

You are going to bad lakes. Many of my lakes are nice, clear, and not-overly-seaweedy (or not at all, but my favorite lake has a little bit). Go further north to the true clear happiness.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

gimpsuitjones posted:

So it turns out that CHIPS is a terrible terrible film. I'm not sure why I expected anything else

Was film made after 1999?
If yes possibility of it being awful is 99%

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Rhyno posted:

Talked to my Dad about the possible move and he ordered me to not sell the MS6, he even offered up a spot in his garage for long term storage. His rational is I've poured so much time and heart into it I'd probably never get over selling it. He's probably right. Plus resale value on the car is total poo poo these days. And if/when I need it NC is a cheap plane ticket away and I can drive back. He also offered up his shed for storage of things I don't want to move but also don't want to part with so I might put my "keeper" collection of nerd poo poo at his place if we take off at any point.

WEIGHT CHAT

Car things about Charlotte, it is an emissions city. I think its just OBD2 check though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Here's an interesting thing I came across today:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/PubsForms/Publications/PUB 632.pdf

A PA Amish buddy driver's manual, government-produced, complete with Bible quotes and such.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 13, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That link seems to be broken

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That link seems to be broken

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/PubsForms/Publications/PUB%20632.pdf

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Use just the bar for a million reps until the movement becomes muscle memory. Then add a little weight. As long as you're not arching your back and trying to wrench far too much weight you'll be fine. As soon as you feel your form breaking down (generally when you start to get tired), that's the time to stop for the day.

If in doubt pay for an hour of personal training at a full on powerlifting gym. There's form videos everywhere online so you should be good.

My form is already poo poo, I'm so weak I can barely keep the bar straight when doing bench presses.

Sadi posted:

Car things about Charlotte, it is an emissions city. I think its just OBD2 check though.

Is this a state thing or just in the city? Indiana has no emissions so I don't know how this shizzle works.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Charlotte thing, actually all of mecklenburg county I think.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Sadi posted:

ugh, that reminds me I need to take my miata through emissions before I can renew its tabs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sadi posted:

Charlotte thing, actually all of mecklenburg county I think.

We'd actually be living in Lake Wylie (if she gets this promotion) across the river in SC. But if this one isn't a good fit they are building all over NC as well so there's future options.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Dude that is the truth. I am the youngest of five kids and never gave my parents much grief and they didn't give me too much grief either. My dad was less tactful on handling some things when I was growing up but holy poo poo every bit of it has been forgiven as I learned more of the dynamics of his childhood. His dad died when he was 9 years old. His older brother was ten years his senior and left for the marines when that happened. He had a younger sister. My grandfather had kidney complications from a staph infections when he was younger a anitbiotics weren't invented until a couple years later. One day he went to the hospital, my grandma went to the hospital to see him and he passed. She came home and woke my dad up in the middle of the night to tell him his father was gone.

Grandma re-married the grandpa I grew to know. He was a stubborn guy and apparently not great. They had one child together (my aunt) that he molested. What a bastard.

So all things considered my dad is a giant poster of success and was an absolutely rad-dad. My parents have been married almost 47 years and he treats mom well and my kids love him. Too bad it took my stupid rear end 19 years of life to realize he turned out far better than average considering the mountain of poo poo he was dealt in his formidable years.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hey Rhyno, I moved down to Charlotte in 2008 and lived there until the beginning of this year, when I bought a house in a suburb (still close to the city).

It's a cool town. From what I've read of your posts over all these years, it's definitely better than the shithole you live in now.

Rent is going up, but it's still very easy to find a reasonable rent in Charlotte proper. All you have to do is not be one of those people afraid of living in a heavily Hispanic or black neighborhood.

The city itself is pretty progressive and very blue, but a lot of people who work here commute from the suburbs and are super red. It's also a big banking city, so there are definitely some NIMBY FYGM types (including the entire wealthy-as-gently caress Ballantyne neighborhood, who are so against their taxes going to "the poors" that they are always trying to secede from Charlotte and become their own separate township).

It's pretty much centrally located between the mountains and the beach, there are lots of outdoor activities to do, the brewery scene is good and only getting better, and there's plenty of work to be found.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

My form is already poo poo, I'm so weak I can barely keep the bar straight when doing bench presses.

Is it a full size olympic bar? Those are 44lbs, It's hilarious how weak you are when you start lifting, you think "yeah I'm pretty strong" and then you do poo poo with a barbell and no, you're really not at all.

Thing is though this is just the beginning, you can't get weaker. If you have dumbbells to hand, use those to start with and ramp up from there. Keep it up!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Charlotte is a decent place to visit and downtownish is fun. There is some hella good beer and food there.

I'd ask The Midniter questions way before me though, I am 2 hours down the road on 85 in Durm.

If you are in South Carolina they have Sand Blast Rally in the Sandhills State Forest which I go to almost annually. ViR is just north of the Carolina/VA border. Asheville is gorgeous. We have beaches but you don't have to go there.

NC is pretty cool mostly. Outside most of the cities is is very much The South though, but you live in Indiana so,

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, I am a stupid person who is bad with money and I want to buy a toy. My 'dream cars' are cheap pieces of poo poo. I don't really want to race them, just drive them and maintain them. Two cars I've always wanted to own are a W210 E55 AMG and a N/A Porsche 944. Completely different from each other. I'd put maybe 1,000 miles on whatever I buy for the whole year.

How bad of an idea would either of these cars be? I'm kinda looking at a 944 like this or an E55 like this. The 944 seems cheap enough to actually fix up and flip for a decent profit - 944 prices in general have been going up fast.

I might autocross whatever I buy. Might not. Don't know. Might throw winter tires on it and use it as a winter beater. Always wanted those two cars and I'm curious how they are to work on, how cheap the parts are relatively speaking and how fun they actually are to drive - I've driven that E55 and it was pretty awesome.

Also, What's a good price for a storage unit that can fit a car and has a 110V outlet for a trickle charger? If I buy something, it'd be my, uh, fifth car.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 13, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Going to pick up my new guitar today, pretty excited. I've determined that I need a creative outlet because work is dumb and writing songs on a bass guitar is dumb.

CornHolio posted:

So, I am a stupid person who is bad with money and I want to buy a toy. My 'dream cars' are cheap pieces of poo poo. I don't really want to race them, just drive them and maintain them. Two cars I've always wanted to own are a W210 E55 AMG and a N/A Porsche 944. Completely different from each other. I'd put maybe 1,000 miles on whatever I buy for the whole year.

How bad of an idea would either of these cars be? I'm kinda looking at a 944 like this or an E55 like this. The 944 seems cheap enough to actually fix up and flip for a decent profit - 944 prices in general have been going up fast.

I might autocross whatever I buy. Might not. Don't know. Might throw winter tires on it and use it as a winter beater. Always wanted those two cars and I'm curious how they are to work on, how cheap the parts are relatively speaking and how fun they actually are to drive - I've driven that E55 and it was pretty awesome.

Also, What's a good price for a storage unit that can fit a car and has a 110V outlet for a trickle charger? If I buy something, it'd be my, uh, fifth car.
Wish I had any advice here but I wish you luck on your quest so that I can live vicariously through yet another internet stranger.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol @ flipping 944 for profit

but it for fun, buy it to practice turning wrenches, buy it to practice wasting money but dont pretend you'll flip it for profit

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

but it for fun, buy it to practice turning wrenches, buy it to practice wasting money but dont pretend you'll flip it for profit

Oh it wouldn't be the intention, just seems 944 prices are starting to creep up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Buy the 944.

A cheap early-2000s Merc? FUUUUUUCK no, son.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll just echo this. I bought the 928 to flip, ended up keeping it way longer than planned and fixing things as they broke. In the end I maybe made a couple hundred bucks but that didn't matter because I enjoyed the car and got to drive a drat 928 for a few years.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Buy the 944.

A cheap early-2000s Merc? FUUUUUUCK no, son.

See, as I understand it, the 5.4 V8 in the W210 is indestructible and easy to work on. Everything is overbuilt and it's a great car. But I've never owned one. Had an E39 540i which I guess is kind of comparable, loved that car but the engine was kind of needy maintenance-wise.

I'm probably not getting anything until next spring, just not sure which I'd get. I'll probably be pretty limited by what's actually out there. I want a N/A 944 with the phone dial wheels, 1985.5 or later for the better interior. I want a W210 E55 that's had transmission service, preferably black-on-black.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

944s look cool, buy a 944.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

See, as I understand it, the 5.4 V8 in the W210 is indestructible and easy to work on. Everything is overbuilt and it's a great car. But I've never owned one. Had an E39 540i which I guess is kind of comparable, loved that car but the engine was kind of needy maintenance-wise.
I'm probably being uncharitable, the W210 likely is fairly solid. But the Porsche is still the better toy and, well, I just don't like Mercs.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've only driven a 944 once, and I was really impressed with it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The 944 S2 also have a loving huge four cylinder don't they?

Edit: 3.0l, yeah that's a lot of displacement for four cylinders.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I'm probably not getting anything until next spring, just not sure which I'd get. I'll probably be pretty limited by what's actually out there. I want a N/A 944 with the phone dial wheels, 1985.5 or later for the better interior. I want a W210 E55 that's had transmission service, preferably black-on-black.

It's everything else in the W210 that becomes a problem, not the engine.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's everything else in the W210 that becomes a problem, not the engine.

Like what?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
944's are pretty, fun, and easy to work on as far as Porsches go
If you're still looking for one come summer time and don't mind heading to Chicago, my dad said he's going to sell his for $3k

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CornHolio posted:

Like what?

SBC can make a brake job deadly.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CornHolio posted:

Like what?

Electrics. Have fun with that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

I thought W210s didn't have that?

The Door Frame posted:

944's are pretty, fun, and easy to work on as far as Porsches go
If you're still looking for one come summer time and don't mind heading to Chicago, my dad said he's going to sell his for $3k

Seriously? Details? I might be interested. Is it in decent shape?

I tend to buy most of my cars from the Chicago area, since it's the closest metro area to me (I'm in Mishawaka, IN).

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 13, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

Like what?

Like the bit about how it was originally a $70k car and there is no such thing as depreciation on parts or service and the one in that ad is absolutely riddled with rust, or the fact that it's a 16 year old luxobarge that when new was half a second faster to 60 than a V6 Honda Accord which isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Actually, it'd be pretty fun to see a thread about this purchase so I say you get the AMG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Thats a Euro 210 and NAS 211 thing.

CornHolio posted:

Like what?

GLHF. Prepare to spend 1/6 of the cars MSRP in service annually if its an AMG. 1/10 or so otherwise. IMO the early mercedes mod engines are poo poo.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread