Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but what if it's two really tall guys in a fight and you're really close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I post landscape-oriented pictures on snapchat story and then realize that they'll be sideways to everyone viewing :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

I knew this was a Pick post before I even glanced at the avatar or name

I mean I don't disagree but uh what version of feminism doesn't prioritize those things

A lot of people seem to be prioritizing opening up sex work, "empowerment" through consumerism, and the right to be selfish and vulgar under the guise of social action.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always thought people held phones vertical if they're trying to not be obvious they're filming something.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just shoot in whatever way best fits the subject and action in the frame. We're not constrained by film projectors any more, so who cares? If your player can't adapt to different aspect ratios without giant bars, then the player is the real problem

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The chief problem common to all ideologies is doctrinal essentialism.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If the only way to view videos was on a phone or tablet, vertical video would be maybe be acceptable in rare cases. But, TVs and computer monitors exist, and there are zero cases where a vertical video is better on those screens. If you film vertically than you are guaranteeing that some, if not most, people viewing it will have over 2/3 of the screen be ugly black bars.

Phones should film horizontal regardless of how you're holding the phone. Vertical video is a plague and must be stopped.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that film vertical shouldn't be allowed to breed

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mu Zeta posted:

People who complain about people that film vertical shouldn't be allowed to breed

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hmmm, yes I can be contrarian about this

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sentient Data posted:

Just shoot in whatever way best fits the subject and action in the frame.

But when people film vertically it's never because it best fits the subject and action in the frame. It's because they are retards unfit to breed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't give much of a gently caress about vertical video since they're all short and I never full-screen that poo poo. A lot of sites just pop-up the video by itself, same as a portrait-oriented document or a photo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jastiger posted:

Holding a phone vertical for video isnt a sin. Its how you use it to talk, and i see most people text that way. Why the gently caress would you automatically go horizontal?

Did you ever look at a human face and notice that the eyes sit next to each other horizontally.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most vertical video is viral poo poo people snap at the last second when something crazy happens. Idgaf. If movies start using vertical video by all means I'll join in on the bitching.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gently caress you man. If I'm watching a 5 second clip of a puppy licking a goat's rear end in a top hat I need it to be in 4k widescreen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People don't need to take videos.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The main thing is that we all need to agree that that thing where they fill the black space with the video but, like, enlarged and blurred a bit? That's good and solves all issues.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Decrepus posted:

Did you ever look at a human face and notice that the eyes sit next to each other horizontally.

Do people by default use their phone horizontally?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

The main thing is that we all need to agree that that thing where they fill the black space with the video but, like, enlarged and blurred a bit? That's good and solves all issues.

That's actually what makes me annoyed at vertical videos in the first place. It's completely unnecessary and makes it look 100 times worse. This is the most offensive Tiggum opinion I've ever seen ITT.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Jastiger posted:

Do people by default use their phone horizontally?

Are phones the only device on which people view video?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I want a phone that films horizontally while I hold it vertically, so I can enjoy a fresh popsicle with one hand while I film my older brother shattering his ankles trying to kickflip into the pool from the roof with the other.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

e: gonna get rid of this, if you want to read it see the many quotes below.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Apr 13, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

walrusman posted:

My brother is four years younger than me but he got married right out of college, so he and my sister-in-law have been married for about six years. I consider us all to be pretty close, even though we haven't talked quite as much in the last few months. I went to their house for dinner last week and we ended up talking for about five hours, with one of the big takeaways being that they've decided not to have kids. It was mostly her decision, something she's been mulling for a while. Fine, right? None of my business?

Wrong. gently caress that. It affects me. It affects my parents and my poor 90yo grandma who's pretty much only hanging around because she wants to hold her great-grandchild. It affects my relationship with my fiancee because now the collective pressure of my entire extended family is on us. It affects how my own kids will be raised (my cousins were some of my best friends while I was growing up). It affects my closeness with my only brother, because they're dying to be globetrotting bon vivant DINKs and my fiancee and I have always wanted a traditional nuclear family; our lifestyles will never be compatible again. I'm extremely bummed out, but I can't say any of this because my sister-in-law would unleash a deluge of vague drama about how I'm trying to control her body.

It's unpopular and profoundly un-woke to say that people have an obligation to consider the impacts of their decisions on other people. Of course this might not be such a big deal if I'd seen it coming, but no. They've always talked about having kids (I guess until very recently). My brother is an elementary teacher so he's great with them. This is the first inkling anyone's gotten that they're opting out. Even if I supported their decision, I would still be upset with their handling of it.

Um, it's your brother's decision and you should be more mad at your family for putting all this dumb pressure on you, not be mad at your brother.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tell them to have a kid and promise to raise and feed it by yourself, win/win.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

walrusman posted:

My brother is four years younger than me but he got married right out of college, so he and my sister-in-law have been married for about six years. I consider us all to be pretty close, even though we haven't talked quite as much in the last few months. I went to their house for dinner last week and we ended up talking for about five hours, with one of the big takeaways being that they've decided not to have kids. It was mostly her decision, something she's been mulling for a while. Fine, right? None of my business?

Wrong. gently caress that. It affects me. It affects my parents and my poor 90yo grandma who's pretty much only hanging around because she wants to hold her great-grandchild. It affects my relationship with my fiancee because now the collective pressure of my entire extended family is on us. It affects how my own kids will be raised (my cousins were some of my best friends while I was growing up). It affects my closeness with my only brother, because they're dying to be globetrotting bon vivant DINKs and my fiancee and I have always wanted a traditional nuclear family; our lifestyles will never be compatible again. I'm extremely bummed out, but I can't say any of this because my sister-in-law would unleash a deluge of vague drama about how I'm trying to control her body.

It's unpopular and profoundly un-woke to say that people have an obligation to consider the impacts of their decisions on other people. Of course this might not be such a big deal if I'd seen it coming, but no. They've always talked about having kids (I guess until very recently). My brother is an elementary teacher so he's great with them. This is the first inkling anyone's gotten that they're opting out. Even if I supported their decision, I would still be upset with their handling of it.

Get over it, dickhead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

walrusman posted:

I can understand being personally disappointed at their decision, but it's completely absurd to actually think that their decision is wrong just because it's not what you want.

It's like asking out a girl, her saying no, and then saying "But this also affects me! I wanted to date that girl, but by rejecting me she is making my life worse! My parents also want me to get married, so her decision to reject me also negatively impacts them!"

Like, the above is actually not even an exaggeration, those two situations are almost completely analogous.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I linked walrusman to this thread at his request.

Should I or should I not feel guilty and/or responsible for the effect my actions are now having on the rest of you?

burial has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Apr 13, 2017

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

you should've pointed him to that one e/n thread where you write anonymous passive agressive letters to people in your life, his busted brain problems aren't really an 'unpopular opinion' per say.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
walrusman is right, even though it makes me a hypocrite. not having kids is ultimately selfish for plenty reasons.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Knew it was the right thread for it.

e:

Plebian Parasite posted:

you should've pointed him to that one e/n thread where you write anonymous passive agressive letters to people in your life, his busted brain problems aren't really an 'unpopular opinion' per say.

Glad you can diagnose mental illness based on two paragraphs of me being disappointed by a disappointing situation. You should be working on the new DSM, not wasting your time posting here!

e2: and to be clear, I'm not saying that girl should go against her wishes and go out with you, or that they should go against their wishes and have kids just because I want them to. I'm just disappointed and the rhetoric that it's none of my business is complete bullshit. It has plenty of effects.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Apr 13, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Should I or should I not feel guilty and/or responsible for the effect my actions are now having on the rest of you?

I mean, it's definitely an unpopular opinion, so it's the right thread for it.

steinrokkan posted:

not having kids is ultimately selfish for plenty reasons.

No, having a kid is the most selfish thing you can do, you're putting your own genes over the needs of tons of kids that need to be adopted.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

No, having a kid is the most selfish thing you can do, you're putting your own genes over the needs of tons of kids that need to be adopted.

I consider adoption as "having a kid". Also calling people selfish for having their own children instead of adopting is some fine concern trolling, unless you have done the latter, which, if it is a moral imperative according to you, is always an option, regardless of your ability or willingness to have your own offspring.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Apr 13, 2017

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

steinrokkan posted:

walrusman is right, even though it makes me a hypocrite. not having kids is ultimately selfish for plenty reasons.

I don't see how that makes you a hypocrite? Deciding whether to have children is a selfish decision either way, I think. There isn't anything inherently wrong or hypocritical about a decision being selfish, I think.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It's like asking out a girl, her saying no, and then saying "But this also affects me! I wanted to date that girl, but by rejecting me she is making my life worse! My parents also want me to get married, so her decision to reject me also negatively impacts them!"
You know there are people who honestly believe this, right?

iirc there was a quote in the Idiots On Social Media thread from the "incel" subreddit where someone was accusing a girl of wanting to murder him because she wouldn't have sex with him. His logic was that by rejecting him she was making him depressed and when he was depressed he would consider suicide, ergo she wanted him to commit suicide and by that logic she was a murderer. :pseudo:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They're saying this because either he doesn't have the balls to make enough sperm or she is barren and it's their way of justifying why they don't have children to themselves as they talk about how their career is too important or this world is too cruel to bring a child into but deep down in their heart of hearts they want children as all couples do whether they admit it or not.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

walrusman posted:

Knew it was the right thread for it.

it is a good unpopular opinion imo. We can always get back to discussing eugenics and whether to put ketchup on well-done steaks again later. And again later. And again later.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

'Couples should have children' is not an unpopular opinion. He has an extremely popular opinion he just holds it for an unpopular and selfish reason.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I'm only in this thread because of the request, and I've been F5ing it ever since. I'd say you should feel proud. The resulting post was pretty glorious, and my life is enriched by having read it.

I think Walrus should have 10 children to make up for his selfish brother and sister in law. Force them to never stop having to buy christmas and birthday presents.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The General posted:

I'm only in this thread because of the request, and I've been F5ing it ever since. I'd say you should feel proud. The resulting post was pretty glorious, and my life is enriched by having read it.

I think Walrus should have 10 children to make up for his selfish brother and sister in law. Force them to never stop having to buy christmas and birthday presents.

Meta post: we don't need crazy people having more kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

walrusman posted:

the rhetoric that it's none of my business is complete bullshit.
No it isn't. What other people choose to do with their lives is their business, not yours, and whether you're affected by it or not is irrelevant.