Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm Secretly Pleased

I voted Toff because I thought people were playing this a bit more seriously (choosing the Americans, voting for the biggest budget) but if the majority are on board with Snake, then dammit I am too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LatwPIAT posted:

How convenient, someone did a writeup of MacReady in PCCS stats once!

Also, enable PMs or find some way to give me your email so you can get editing access to the Hired Goons Character Manager! :3:

Done

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 13, 2017

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hang on is Snake even old enough to drink? His DOB is 2012.

Not that you haven't made the right choice, just don't tug too hard on that facial hair in case it comes off.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

simplefish posted:

I'm Secretly Pleased

I voted Toff because I thought people were playing this a bit more seriously (choosing the Americans, voting for the biggest budget) but if the majority are on board with Snake, then dammit I am too

I voted Americans and the biggest budget and I still voted for Kurt Russel. I usually vote tryhard, but amusement trumps everything. It leads to me supporting crazy plans and surprise commanders. :v:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its only fitting we have boss as crazy as the game system

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Zaodai posted:

I voted Americans and the biggest budget and I still voted for Kurt Russel. I usually vote tryhard, but amusement trumps everything. It leads to me supporting crazy plans and surprise commanders. :v:

Exactly, between this and the COMANO game I usually go serious let try and win, but il still down for some fun and zaniness in between. Besides lookling at the glorious history of mercenaries they tended to attract some interesting charaters. One of the most famous Itallian Condotorri of the Renaissance was an English dude who schleped his way across north Italy and wound up becoming the Duke of a city state.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Exactly, between this and the COMANO game I usually go serious let try and win, but il still down for some fun and zaniness in between. Besides lookling at the glorious history of mercenaries they tended to attract some interesting charaters. One of the most famous Itallian Condotorri of the Renaissance was an English dude who schleped his way across north Italy and wound up becoming the Duke of a city state.

Was he A#1 Duke of New York?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

You should now have editing rights.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Besides lookling at the glorious history of mercenaries they tended to attract some interesting charaters. One of the most famous Itallian Condotorri of the Renaissance was an English dude who schleped his way across north Italy and wound up becoming the Duke of a city state.

One of the mercenaries supporting Biafra in the Nigerian Civil War was Count Carl Gustaf von Rosen, a Swedish nobleman and the nephew-in-law of Herman Göring. Something of a black sheep of that family, he abandoned his campaign of flying a DC-2 on bombing missions against the Soviet Union in the Winter War to fly Dutch politicians out of the Netherlands to the UK during the invasion. During the Congo Crisis he flew planes for the UN. After getting fed up with the sorry state of refugees in Biafra, he cooperated with the French DGSE to rebuild a civilian propeller plane into a highly effective Close Air Support rocket bus and destroyed several MiG-17's and Il-76's with his air-combat unit of 'Biafran Babies'. He continued to fly humanitarian missions after the war, eventually dying during an attack in the Ethiopian-Somali war.

And then there's Bob Denard and his four attempts to conquer the Comoros.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zaodai posted:

Guys, don't forget - Egg Shen and his boys owe him a few favors :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Phi230 posted:

This was my thinking.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I voted for him because how else are we gonna build outer heaven?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I should stop voting Soviet.

I should also find out if I'm still alive in the other LP.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
This is shaping up nicely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JcDent posted:

I should stop voting Soviet.

I should also find out if I'm still alive in the other LP.

The Soviet was a good choice too, but he really needed the mostly-unarmed drunken mob to be in his true element of teaching them to kill nazis with pointed sticks.

I feel like Plissken has a better chance of turning this more Jagged Alliance when paired with a bunch of American academy dropouts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phi230 posted:

One might say....a Big Boss.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Zaodai posted:

This, exactly this.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I ran a huge update. I'll post it. But I'm too tired. Maybe later.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just give us a hint as to how many groins got shot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

We welcome our new Commander, a man impersonating an actor and claiming to be "Snake." I think our shareholders lost their minds.

Irregardless, we got our first job. Not gonna get paid for this one, it comes straight from the flyboys so we aren't getting paid, but its still pretty important. We just got the mission file faxed over. Who still uses fax machines? Where did we get one?

This is an exceedingly lovely satellite photo of the target. We're hitting a PLAAF JY-14 RADAR SITE. This mission is on short notice so we'll have little time to prepare, and our commander....wait, where the hell is he? Wait, what's that sound?

Our base commander seemingly kidnapped one of the radar techs on his own initiative. But, how did he know about the mission...we just got the briefing fax like an hour ago... Where'd he get the cell phone? I guess we have to wait till he comes back.

Commander Snake posted:

Kept ya' waiting huh?
/

Meet, uh, well we don't actually know his name, but he's a PLAAF technician, and Commander Snake claims to speak Mandarin. Snake says this guy provided a pretty detailed description of the base and the staff. He isn't even tied up, seems to just kind of sat down at our comms and started working again...

*Hired Goons Gains Expert Comms Tech*

Anyway, we now have a detailed layout of the base and who is staffed there. Their roster looks like this:

1x Officer
3x Guards
3x Technicians

All chairforce types. We suspect that the officer and techs, if armed at all, will be packing nothing more than pistols. The guards don't have grenades, armor, or optics or anything. Real rear echelon type of place, we don't expect even the guards to give up much a fight. The objective here is to kill or disable all the staff, and then go in and smash all the equipment and make the radar inoperable.

The actual radar dish is up high on the mountain, but nobody goes up there due to altitude. The primary target is to just raid the control center. The dish is supposedly pretty advanced, sufficient to give a very wide detection area. It covers Lhasa airbase, so those flyboys must have something crazy in mind if they want us to take it out.

We're going in at night, with the whole crew. This will be our plan of action:

Team A will approach and set up overwatch on a ridge overlooking the radar site.
Team B will approach from the East, and assault the compound.

Roster:

Team A
Actuary
Dwayne "The Dwayne" Dwayne
Potato
Tesla Cola
Snake Doctor
Spanky

Team B
Grimace Howlington III
Steve
Count
Dread
Simpson Mcfish
Popete

In the future we'll have a choice of jobs, depending on how competent the Boss actually turns out to be, but for now, we need to come through for the flyboys.

Now accepting proposals for how to execute the mission. Voting closes soon, since this is a very time sensitive mission.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Snake already paying dividends.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Team A will need machineguns

Team B will need cardboard boxes. Failing that, more machineguns

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
The overwatch team looks a little oversized, maybe two other lads should join the assault team?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If we can roll in on a supply truck we sneak into the back of enroute, that'd be good, then just jump out guns blazing.

Or get our infiltrators to crawl through the snow until close enough, then snipe everyone we can see outside with troops who hung back, then rush the infiltrators in and shoot anything that moves,

Or climb up onto the roof and then go in through the air vents/windows/access ducts/whatever

Or...

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
We should lure away the guards by running in circles around the building and have them follow the footprints.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mind you, that we have nothing available to us that isn't in our table of equipment, and our boys are only qualified to take M16A2s.

Grenades might be useful inside that building though...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I agree that overwatch team seems a little heavy on personnel when we could use some extra bodies in the base. That said, is that a road or a wall around the perimeter? It looks like a road, but I don't want to assume.

I take it none of our guys are able to use the sniper rifle we have for even a bit of fire support, or the M60 either? Or do they just take a penalty for being unqualified?

We should probably have two guys stay on the ridge (ideally a sniper if we can have someone use the rifle), then 4 guys from A team move in from the north west while B team strikes in force from the east to clear buildings. I assume there's no reason to worry about collateral damage, so we might as well bring all the grenades and stuff we can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My vote for how it goes:

1. Team A (reduced to 3 personnel) sets up overwatch on the labeled ridge. Team B sets up in the closest defilade position east of the radar site.

2. Team A delivers pinpoint fire on guards outside the building and through any windows. Simultaneously, Team B raids with M67 frags and breaches the radar installation.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do our guys have binoculars and/or radios? Is overwatch team able to provide us spotting information on targets they can see from their position?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

I agree that overwatch team seems a little heavy on personnel when we could use some extra bodies in the base. That said, is that a road or a wall around the perimeter? It looks like a road, but I don't want to assume.

I take it none of our guys are able to use the sniper rifle we have for even a bit of fire support, or the M60 either? Or do they just take a penalty for being unqualified?

We should probably have two guys stay on the ridge (ideally a sniper if we can have someone use the rifle), then 4 guys from A team move in from the north west while B team strikes in force from the east to clear buildings. I assume there's no reason to worry about collateral damage, so we might as well bring all the grenades and stuff we can.

The road stretches around the base, there are no windows on the building, and it has roughly 6ft high stone wall that guards the east and north. There is a gate about 2 meters wide, and on the Northeast corner there is a large opening for cars and trucks to enter the compound.

Neither of our M24s are ready, they were both damaged en route and are being repaired. Our M60 may be taken, but at a massive penalty for aiming and shooting. Its also extremely heavy, and whoever takes it will move slowly, and would need an ammo bearer who also would move slowly and carry less ammo for their primary.

Zaodai posted:

Do our guys have binoculars and/or radios? Is overwatch team able to provide us spotting information on targets they can see from their position?

No binocs, no radios. Maybe we can buy some later. Just gotta give Bogdan a call...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't suppose there's a Walmart here in India? Having an overwatch team seems pretty pointless if they can't even communicate with the strike team.

We're all going to die to friendly fire. :tinfoil:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phi230 posted:

The road stretches around the base, there are no windows on the building, and it has roughly 6ft high stone wall that guards the east and north. There is a gate about 2 meters wide, and on the Northeast corner there is a large opening for cars and trucks to enter the compound.

Neither of our M24s are ready, they were both damaged en route and are being repaired. Our M60 may be taken, but at a massive penalty for aiming and shooting. Its also extremely heavy, and whoever takes it will move slowly, and would need an ammo bearer who also would move slowly and carry less ammo for their primary.

No binocs, no radios. Maybe we can buy some later. Just gotta give Bogdan a call...

This is all pretty concerning. Not only can our teams not communicate beyond things like flashing lights in Morse code, our overwatch team would be restricted to shooting whoever just happens to be outside.

Is there a position where they can see the gate to the compound instead and fire at targets through it before holding fire for the raiding team?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

This is all pretty concerning. Not only can our teams not communicate beyond things like flashing lights in Morse code, our overwatch team would be restricted to shooting whoever just happens to be outside.

Is there a position where they can see the gate to the compound instead and fire at targets through it before holding fire for the raiding team?

The ridgeline is high enough to allow a clear view of the whole exterior, including compound. You could tell them to only fire for a certain amount of time, then hold... They do have watches, after all.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Suddenly I would feel more comfortable with that commander that knew squad tactics from the 1800s, since that's apparently where we're from. :v:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

How much looting our we capable of doing, can we take anything that isn't bolted down? Our group is poor and has no equipment, so this is important.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ikasuhito posted:

How much looting our we capable of doing, can we take anything that isn't bolted down? Our group is poor and has no equipment, so this is important.

Do you REALLY want to steal an Indian Army INSAS?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, an air radar station is bound to have at least one pair of binocs on hand. Maybe we can swipe theirs. Radios less so, though having some that were tuned for the Chinese comms might be useful since we have a guy who claims to speak Mandarin, plus our captured operator.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Wouldn't it be QBZ-05s?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

chitoryu12 posted:

We don't even have binoculars, I'm surprised we even managed to have guns for everyone. Anything we can get our hands on would be beneficial. Hell I would say steal their swivel chairs if you can.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Could we attempt to scale the stone walls? Or get onto the roof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So the plan is stealth in, steal some binocs and radios, stealth out, sneak over to the overwatch team, equip them, sneak back to the base, and start the actual mission?

Yeah, cool.

I assume it's the middle of nowhere so you can't use a couple of burner phones, but I do think spending a few quid on cheap radios might be a plan.

• Locked thread