Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CornHolio posted:

I'm working on making a bad decision!

Then again, I'm married and have children and oh my god this is my midlife crisis isn't it

Actually you make a very good point. We're getting up there in age, and some of us will be hitting our midlife crises soon...
I can't wait to see some of the poo poo that we come up with :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Enourmo posted:

God loving dammit. So I've been getting rides from classmates since my car died. One of them was supposed to get my this morning at 7, way earlier than I normally wake up (he has 7:30 class); I set three separate alarms with overlapping snooze repeat times, so it would slowly build to an endless cacophony.

So of course my phone dies overnight despite being plugged in. And in my sleepiness I flipped my alarm clock switch to the wrong position so that didn't go off either. So after waiting an unknown time at my place he obviously left and may or may not have been late to class because of my stupidity. And I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get an uber or some poo poo.

Why am I such a fuckup?

Everybody has slept through their alarms and annoyed a mate by missing a lift.

Apologise to your mate and buy him some lunch/coffee/beer/pizza to complete the apology and ensure that you can ask him for a lift again

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

You were only late to class, no biggy. As was said, apologize and move on with your life. I've done that when I was supposed to be at work for an important meeting. Life goes on, and people sometimes sleep through their alarms.

See I wasn't the late one though, I made him late. I hate when other people suffer due to my fuckup, even if it's relatively minor poo poo.

E: I'm not in full on self hate mode like I was right after it happened but I'm still annoyed with myself and my phone. Charge cable has been wonky for a while, but it seems noticeably worse lately.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

I bought a Razer glowing multicolor keyboard and fancy mouse to play starcraft2, and I am a 37 year old male. Plz send help

My friend tried to teach me starcraft 2. It did not go well. Apparently having fun and just trying stuff out are not part of the optimum build order.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

RillAkBea posted:

My friend tried to teach me starcraft 2. It did not go well. Apparently having fun and just trying stuff out are not part of the optimum build order.

Honestly the best way to play it is just have fun playing Co-op Commander with a buddy against whatever level of AI you are comfortable with. The narrative cooperative missions are really fun and the various commanders get neat abilities and units that are not in the "standard" game.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The flu sucks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This thread is killin it. House buyin', getting engaged...

:ohdear: We're becoming domesticated guys. Quick someone buy a track prepped e30 or something!

I'm trying to offset the domestication...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tide posted:

The flu sucks.

Recently I had a cold, started to recover and then got smashed with flu. It does indeed suck and you have my sympathy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Trying to figure out what variety of beater I should get. Economy car? Full-size pickup?

Caprice wagon? :v:

I commute about 2k miles/yr (just to school and back, ~10mi round trip) so gas isn't really a huge concern, and if I"m dropping cash on a long-term ride it's gotta fit my neanderthal dimensions at least somewhat comfortably.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

Trying to figure out what variety of beater I should get. Economy car? Full-size pickup?

I commute about 2k miles/yr (just to school and back, ~10mi round trip) so gas isn't really a huge concern, and if I"m dropping cash on a long-term ride it's gotta fit my neanderthal dimensions at least somewhat comfortably.

Ex-cop Crown Victoria. Cheap ubiquitous parts, generally reliable. Most issues fixes are well known. Lots of them made over a bunch of years, with fair interchangeability.
Or even a civvie CV or Grand Marquis, if you want a little more comfort. I've civilized my P71 a bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
beater truck

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bricknose. Get a bricknose.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, credit union admitted they hosed up. Took nearly 2 weeks, but they claim they've mailed a letter to the apartment office, and a deposit just showed up in my checking account for the fees I wound up getting hit with.

The letter is a bit of a big deal for me - once you have a returned check with this property management company, they block you from paying online, you can't pay by check anymore (has to be a money order or cashier's check), and there's no night drop. Unless you can get your bank to admit they hosed up, anyway.

Sucks that it took a federal complaint to get their attention, but at least they made it as right as they could.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

Bricknose. Get a bricknose.

Way the gently caress out of my price range but hrrrnnggghhhh

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bricknose or CVPI or Miata.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm looking to get more utility than the Protege, the AI options can wait til I'm graduated and have a job

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can I interest u in a supercharged Saturn that you can barely stuff anything into other than yourself

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Way the gently caress out of my price range but hrrrnnggghhhh

Bronco you say? https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/6034175955.html

also this thing
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/6056073436.html

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Can I interest u in a supercharged Saturn that you can barely stuff anything into other than yourself

:frogout:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Just get a beater 2-3k corolla I've been surprised around me seeing 100k mike 10-12 year old ones for $2500

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've managed to cram quite a bit into mine, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've managed to cram quite a bit into mine, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

Wow dang

My seats don't fold down because they're the recaros

I bought two porch chairs the other day then realized they wouldn't fit, so I called my wife and they would barely fit in her car after 20min of finangling

I need a truck

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thought I remembered you saying something about yours not folding flat. Oops.

Only the passenger seat folds up like that on mine (it'd be pretty hilarious if the driver seat did). And it's pretty easy to yank the seat out anyway, but you'd obviously have to plan in advance for that.

Also, the dispatcher was watching me tetris all of that into the car. Two people with Suburbans had refused that route claiming it wouldn't fit, and I had tried to get him to put money on my being able to squeeze it into a Saturn (he wouldn't). The trunk was packed full, as was the interior.

e: huh, wonder how long the passenger door panel has been flopping around like that.. that pic is a year old.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 14, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fitting things in tiny cars you say? I got a 40 gallon water heater in its box in my fiesta st. And closed the hatch :getin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
while we're on the topic of putting big things in tight places. :quagmire:

bought a 3d printer....

:nms: dickbutt :nms:
http://imgur.com/ncYPfPy

Turbine blade for a jet engine hot off the press.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like you've got everything dialed in. Lulzbot?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Only the passenger seat folds up like that on mine (it'd be pretty hilarious if the driver seat did).

Both front seats fold flat in the Prius. Owns for car camping / road trips.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Looks like you've got everything dialed in. Lulzbot?

Yeup!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

voicemail posted:

Hi, this message is for STR. This is <someone> with Nationwide calling about a claim you had with us in July 2016. I'm just calling about reimbursing you your $250 deductible for that claim, which I'll be sending to the address we have on file here.

I need to go buy a lottery ticket. Bank admits fuckup and reimburses me, now this, in the same day? :stare:

Raluek posted:

Both front seats fold flat in the Prius. Owns for car camping / road trips.

Nice.

I've slept in my car with the passenger seat folded flat in this car. I'm not a tall guy (5'7ish?), but my feet were still on the passenger side airbag. Not exactly comfortable. IIRC I had to fold down the back seat and sleep halfway in the trunk.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Good to see the CU and insurance both making things right for you STR. Nice to have things go right once in a while.

Was the letter enough to get you to stick with the CU, or you still bailing on them?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Locator posted:

Was the letter enough to get you to stick with the CU, or you still bailing on them?

We did the bare minimum only after you threatened to sick the Feds on us. Sticking around?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

After watching James Bruton on YT for a few years, you get good at spotting them. A teeny bit more spendy than competitors, but worth every penny I've heard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Good to see the CU and insurance both making things right for you STR. Nice to have things go right once in a while.

CU posted:

We understand it may be too late to salvage your relationship with us, but we are truly sorry for the way this situation occurred, and we want to do all we can to make it right.

They handled everything knowing I had opened new accounts with a traditional bank, and my opening deposits for those accounts were drafted (EFT) out of my account with the CU over a week ago; my regular, twice weekly direct deposit also hasn't been dropped into that account this week. So yeah, even if I hadn't mentioned I wasn't staying, anyone looking at the account history would know I was on my way out. I'm kind of impressed that they still covered the fees (I was asking them to split the fees and included copies of the receipts, they countered with them paying 100%, not about to say no to that), but I've been a member with them off and on for nearly 20 years, and breakdowns in communication have always been an issue with them.

That said, the only reason I left last time (probably 2009) was because their backend hadn't been updated since the 90s - it would take up to a week for any debit/credit transactions to affect my available balance (online banking, ATMs, and automated phone), and security wasn't exactly great either (passwords could only be plain text characters, login was your account #, no mobile support, etc). I'm used to transactions at a gas pump taking a few days to show up, but this was any transaction that used the debit card.

I may keep a small savings account open with them, but my checking is definitely moved over to a regional bank. The CU charges a monthly fee for checking, which they just increased, while the regional bank I opened accounts at doesn't charge a monthly fee. There's some decent benefits (at first glance anyway, once you read the fine print you realize they're not great and have a lot of fine print attached) to eating the monthly fee, benefits that I don't get with the regional bank, but the stress from all of this was enough that I don't care to keep anything of real value with them.

cakesmith handyman posted:

We did the bare minimum only after you threatened to sick the Feds on us. Sticking around?

I did send the feds, who kicked it over to the state. I've already let the state know that it was taken care of, though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 14, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ya we use a CU for savings and for checking we use Chase since they offer Apple Pay and a relatively modern banking app

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I'm looking to get more utility than the Protege, the AI options can wait til I'm graduated and have a job

1st gen Scion xB

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

1st gen Scion xB

K20 turbo swapped

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

1st gen Scion xB

I really don't see those around anymore which is odd. Seems like they'd be reliable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ya we use a CU for savings and for checking we use Chase since they offer Apple Pay and a relatively modern banking app

I had a bit of a bad experience with Chase years ago (though nothing on par with the CU crap I went through), and my mother has them trying to come after her for a debt that was discharged in bankruptcy several years ago. They remove the debt from her credit when she disputes it, they disappear for a bit, then it re-appears a few months later with different dates and they start calling her again. :argh:

The bank I wound up with is big enough to have a downright decent mobile app, I'd rate it as a little better than USAA's. The CU's app is downright barbaric in comparison, bad enough that it's generally easier/faster to just use their website.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Our offer on a house was accepted today. :toot: Year of the house continues. Condolences welcome.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I had a bit of a bad experience with Chase years ago (though nothing on par with the CU crap I went through), and my mother has them trying to come after her for a debt that was discharged in bankruptcy several years ago. They remove the debt from her credit when she disputes it, they disappear for a bit, then it re-appears a few months later with different dates and they start calling her again. :argh:

The bank I wound up with is big enough to have a downright decent mobile app, I'd rate it as a little better than USAA's. The CU's app is downright barbaric in comparison, bad enough that it's generally easier/faster to just use their website.

Fighting with Chase on an old CC debt nearly torpedoed my mortgage paperwork. But I'm pretty sure all financial institutions can be shady as gently caress if they think they can get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CornHolio posted:

I'm working on making a bad decision!

Ok, I finally got to talk to my dad and get some concrete numbers out of him
It's an 86 with 225k on it and he's looking for ~$5,000*. Mechanically, it's in great shape, but it's developed a couple of little gremlins and the interior could use some refurbishing. I had heard a weird noise coming from the rear end, but I haven't had a chance to look into it or drive it too much, since he adores that thing

*The guy he bought it from babied the hell out of it, and my dad wants to make sure that it goes to someone who won't run it into the ground, scrap it for parts, chop it up to slide in an LS engine, etc. He's willing to let it go for $4k if he can find someone who will treat it like a Porsche

• Locked thread