Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Where did Simon from Yogscast go? He seems to have just vanished from their videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Rutibex posted:

Where did Simon from Yogscast go? He seems to have just vanished from their videos.

He was in the hospital for awhile for an undisclosed (I think, at least I don't remember them being willing to tell) reason, but he's been back for awhile.

Unless something else happened.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

AceClown posted:

I saw a serious interview with the Yogscast on the BBC website business section and just got amazed that these few dudes from this very forum have built a multi-million viewer brand from dicking about in games.

Edit: Also "The Bomb" remains to this day one of the funniest gaming videos I've ever seen

I still occasionally go back and rewatch The Bomb, and also that Christmas Tekkit episode with Simon's Santa statue.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

He was in the hospital for awhile for an undisclosed (I think, at least I don't remember them being willing to tell) reason, but he's been back for awhile.

Unless something else happened.

That's basically exactly it.

The only thing missing is that I think the doctors told him to ease back on stressful things, so he's not around as much as he used to be.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Tyty posted:

Veering the topic away a bit,

How is immersive engineering as a main power/ore processing mod? I love the idea of giant tech sprawl and running powerlines but if it's too finicky/server intensive I might as well start building thermex stuff instead.

The grinder is a bit slow but works just as well as any other (albeit it -may- cause some server issues if you drop enough stacks of poo poo into it to be processed at once, since stuff it isn't grinding just sits there out in the world). The Arc Furnace is incredible though. It -is- automatable in that you can pump things in and out of it, just not the electrodes. You can make them in a metal press by the way. But when fully powered the furnace will chew through up to 12 stacks of things at once faster than pretty much anything else (or a single stack spread out across the input slots), and can alloy poo poo like EnderIO alloys. Its downside is that it only seems to handle metals, you can't cook sand->glass or food or whatever. Maybe its config can be changed for that, I dunno.

As for power, I've been considering investigating that, but it needs a bunch of infrastructure, with a squeezer and refinery to make fuel for the diesel generator. Plus a way of keeping it all fed in the first place.

Power lines are A++ by the way. Each connector can accept 4k rf/t max, but a HV wire can carry 32k rf/t, and connector output is the same. So pile on connectors and it will stand up alongside any other high-end power cable while looking far better.

escalator dropdown posted:

I still occasionally go back and rewatch The Bomb, and also that Christmas Tekkit episode with Simon's Santa statue.

The bomb episode is awesome.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Seeing that old yogscast bomb video made me try to even remember notable modded Minecraft experiences I cannot remember much. I guess I am trying here to get people to draw up their own personal moments.

I vaguely recall early on with mechaets NST: Diet stuff that I was trying to claim a good spot and wound up in Ambaire's (IIRC) giany fortress while I was zipping around the map. I think Ambaire was trying to give me a care package, but I had to be all "Naw I'm good!"

I do recall crashing that server when I found a bug to quicky reproduce magical crop seeds by ramming one with a piston accelerated by lilypads of fertility. I had run out of capacity for seeds and the rest were just laying out everywhere and killing the server with lag.

My buddy and I on a private server made something like a 200-block-tall "tower of power" out of survivalist generators and then vowed not to do that again.

It was very satisfying the first time we got up AE2 autocrafting and BR turbines.

More recently I had the misfortune of TheresaJayne encasing me in sky blocks and then giggling like a dork when I didn't know WTF.

I am still amused when I did an early version of BFSR for the work teambuilding thing and my manager literally dug himself into a hole he couldn't leave and starved to death.

I can't even imagine if I had a direct effect on anybody, but I hope Wolfsbane never figured out I hollowed out a huge part of a mountain next to spawn on his server when we were testing lag. Hey, I was using TNT to induce a lot of change very quickly!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I do recall crashing that server when I found a bug to quicky reproduce magical crop seeds by ramming one with a piston accelerated by lilypads of fertility. I had run out of capacity for seeds and the rest were just laying out everywhere and killing the server with lag.

I remember seeing that unholy thing, it was awesome. It's what got me started on lilypads myself!

That was the server where I discovered you could run a MFR laser drill on survivalist generators. It only takes close to 32 stacks of generators, guys! :downs:

That was also the server where someone walked up to me and tossed me a pill while saying "Here, eat this!" It gave me two seconds of nausea. He looked at me strangely and said "Weird, that should have been enough ketamine to kill you."
Apparently is was only half a lethal dose. The second pill did me in. Science!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bbcisdabomb posted:

That was also the server where someone walked up to me and tossed me a pill while saying "Here, eat this!" It gave me two seconds of nausea. He looked at me strangely and said "Weird, that should have been enough ketamine to kill you."
Apparently is was only half a lethal dose. The second pill did me in. Science!

I didn't know you could recreate SS13 in Minecraft.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Are there any goon run modded minecraft servers? I've honestly always had the most memorable stuff when playing with others but I've not had a good multiplayer session since forever.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have so many modded stories,

We had an underwater base on Voltz with force fields etc, someone tried to break in using antimatter explosives -

they didnt manage to break in and gave up - just when they had managed to open a 1x1 hole into the base and didnt bother going in there

on Agrarian skies server the other day someone had set up a spawner to ignore spawn limit using golden apples and didnt turn on the grinder meaning they had over 300 mobs lagging the server like crazy

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

Are there any goon run modded minecraft servers? I've honestly always had the most memorable stuff when playing with others but I've not had a good multiplayer session since forever.

A bunch of them, they are listed in the Private Servers subforum.

Disasterpiece Theatre and GRIMDARK are two big ones. I'm unsure if Modderation: Permabanned is still running.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Black Pants posted:

A bunch of them, they are listed in the Private Servers subforum.

Disasterpiece Theatre and GRIMDARK are two big ones. I'm unsure if Modderation: Permabanned is still running.

Thanks dude, I'll check those out!

Also gently caress setting up an auto sifting setup for PO2

Crops all the way!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

frenzy posted:

Immersive Engineering's style, polish and the fact that it does multi-block structures and machines for nearly everything sets it apart and makes it an example for what every other mod should be doing, especially with multi-block machines and generators.

I think the problem with goons straying away from Minecraft has to do with it being hilarious to associate Minecraft with autism so most people just kind of assume modded Minecraft must be awful and not one of the greatest things you can do with your gaming time. Then those same people get stuck in FTB modpacks because they think that's the pinnacle of modded Minecraft and the precious few hours they have not toiling away at a 9-5 cannot be lost to playing a modpack that ten thousand idiots hasn't already downloaded and shitposted about on reddit

A good post. The bolded part is really loving dumb.

An octadic capacitor EIO farming station melon farm will comfortably feed a diesel generator chain. The diesel fuel processors will eat about 1500RF/t but you're still getting 2500RF/t virtually forever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

You can also use vanilla-style BUD sugarcane farms to make diesel. (You can farm industrial hemp the same way.) I'm not sure how large you need to make the farm, but it uses exactly zero power to run.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can also use vanilla-style BUD sugarcane farms to make diesel. (You can farm industrial hemp the same way.) I'm not sure how large you need to make the farm, but it uses exactly zero power to run.

So I googled 'BUD sugarcane farm' and got this video, but why does it work? Doesn't make sense...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxLo83M4wQ

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Black Pants posted:

The grinder is a bit slow but works just as well as any other (albeit it -may- cause some server issues if you drop enough stacks of poo poo into it to be processed at once, since stuff it isn't grinding just sits there out in the world).

What? No it doesn't. Anything thrown into the Crusher gets added to an actual list and is processed in the order it's thrown in. It doesn't leave things sitting on world except for the first couple of seconds after you toss it in.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

So I googled 'BUD sugarcane farm' and got this video, but why does it work? Doesn't make sense...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxLo83M4wQ

It has to do with a "bug" with redstone mechanics. Pistons can be powered by an active redstone lead placed on a block above and behind the piston. However, Minecraft only propagates redstone signals to blocks adjacent to the redstone in a cardinal direction. Due to this, when the redstone lead is driven high, it isn't actually telling the piston to activate.

Later, when a piece of sugar cane grows adjacent to one of the pistons, it triggers the piston's block update. It looks around and realizes, hey, there's an active redstone signal, let's push the piston. The activation of that piston triggers a block update on the pistons adjacent, and so on, triggering all the pistons.

One of the pistons so triggered isn't pointing at sugar cane; it's pointing up, supporting a piece of sand or gravel. When the piston activates, it pops the gravel up, which causes the comparator to temporarily be unable to read the status of the partially filled furnace behind it. This cuts the redstone signal driving the pistons to extend, which causes them to retract. Then, as the gravel/sand falls, it re-establishes the redstone signal, re-arming the device.

The end result is a machine that perfectly harvests sugarcane literally as fast as it can grow. It's pretty rad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It has to do with a "bug" with redstone mechanics. Pistons can be powered by an active redstone lead placed on a block above and behind the piston. However, Minecraft only propagates redstone signals to blocks adjacent to the redstone in a cardinal direction. Due to this, when the redstone lead is driven high, it isn't actually telling the piston to activate.

Later, when a piece of sugar cane grows adjacent to one of the pistons, it triggers the piston's block update. It looks around and realizes, hey, there's an active redstone signal, let's push the piston. The activation of that piston triggers a block update on the pistons adjacent, and so on, triggering all the pistons.

One of the pistons so triggered isn't pointing at sugar cane; it's pointing up, supporting a piece of sand or gravel. When the piston activates, it pops the gravel up, which causes the comparator to temporarily be unable to read the status of the partially filled furnace behind it. This cuts the redstone signal driving the pistons to extend, which causes them to retract. Then, as the gravel/sand falls, it re-establishes the redstone signal, re-arming the device.

The end result is a machine that perfectly harvests sugarcane literally as fast as it can grow. It's pretty rad.

I love machines that exploit the natural quirks of Minecraft physics. I miss making EMC generating "darkrooms" that produce piles of seeds and flowers which are transmuted back into Bonemeal and excess diamonds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzVHYSJi5U

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Which mod gives you that sky? I saw one that was a more realistic night sky, but I want crazy planets and poo poo.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dareon posted:

Which mod gives you that sky? I saw one that was a more realistic night sky, but I want crazy planets and poo poo.

It's the Project Ozone 2 modepack, I just launched it on a normal world cos I couldn't be arsed platform building on this playthrough.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Dareon posted:

It's from Botania. It appears by default when using Garden of Glass, but you can enable it in normal worlds in the config.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, you guys know that text at the bottom left of the menu screen? the poo poo that lists your minecraft version, number of mods loaded, etc etc? Is there a way to get rid of that poo poo? Hide it, delete it, whatever? I'm just sick of seeing it and would like to delete it, but I can't seem to find a config option for it anywhere.

If it matters, or will help, I'm using Custom Main Menu on version 1.10.2. The labels section of that is completely blank, so it's not coming from that mod.

EDIT: nevermind, I'm dumb. CMM has the label info there, but it was blank, which I assumed to mean that it was just a blank label. In fact, it's not. I moved it waaaaay the gently caress off the menu and now that annoying poo poo is gone.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 14, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Welp, I got as far in InfiTech 2 as I'm going to go. After a certain point there's basically nothing to do in the pack except climb up the GregTech tiers to unlock poo poo that's locked behind them... but the effort involved is almost always not worth it, and the other mods don't really make GregTech much easier. There's some Thaumcraft alchemy recipes that let you duplicate some types of ore, but most of the high end "duplication" results in dusts or unprocessed dusts that you need to smelt/process via GregTech, and GT high end ore processing (and dust smelting) is just stupid. Ingots that take hours in the EBF to complete. Hours PER INGOT. Like, yeah I get that they're trying to force you to overclock the EBF and feed it stupid amounts of EU by ramping up your energy production via the multiblock generators, but then it STILL takes hours to produce a batch of ingots. It's just... less hours. Spamming EBFs isn't really an option either since the high end coils themselves are made out of the super slow ingot types! STACKS of them. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Plus, they locked TTKAMI behind doing every single piece of research, which is mostly okay (aside from the obvious tedium) but I think scanning wisps is broken for unlocking wisp spawner research, and I don't think you can even research the Essence of Oblivion in Magic Bees anymore. So it seems impossible.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 14, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bit of a whinge, but is there anyway to use curse without twitch?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Not anymore. There's a curse pack downloader tool that folks use to get the packs but that's basically your option.

I switched to a twitch account and just ignore every tab that isn't WoW or Minecraft.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm considering a return to Minecraft and I have a question.

I have the save file of the world I made, what seems like, twenty years ago. I created an enormous castle complex that I made in MCEdit, and planned on decorating the interiors in game. Now, since then, I know many new biomes have been made, so I'd like to start a new world and see if there is some way I can take the castle from the old save and put it into a new save. The catch is, I only want it to take the stone pieces - if I copy the entire castle location, it picks up other blocks too, such as dirt and grass. Is there a way, or a different program, that lets me copy and paste an old design into a new world using only specific block types?

I know a lot of people will just say "start over" but I spent hours making that thing, I'd love to continue working on it, in a new randomly generated world that has new biomes and other new features that old versions lack.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Node posted:

I have the save file of the world I made, what seems like, twenty years ago. I created an enormous castle complex that I made in MCEdit, and planned on decorating the interiors in game. Now, since then, I know many new biomes have been made, so I'd like to start a new world and see if there is some way I can take the castle from the old save and put it into a new save. The catch is, I only want it to take the stone pieces - if I copy the entire castle location, it picks up other blocks too, such as dirt and grass. Is there a way, or a different program, that lets me copy and paste an old design into a new world using only specific block types?

I know a lot of people will just say "start over" but I spent hours making that thing, I'd love to continue working on it, in a new randomly generated world that has new biomes and other new features that old versions lack.

World edit. Back up the save, select the castle area, then replace all dirt/grass with air. As for copying it to a new world, I don't know how to do that, sorry.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ambaire posted:

World edit. Back up the save, select the castle area, then replace all dirt/grass with air. As for copying it to a new world, I don't know how to do that, sorry.

Will the air blocks replace other blocks when it is pasted? Or would it just use what block is currently there? Thanks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meskhenet posted:

I download the packs and put them into MultiMC. I hate everyones stupid launchers.

Node posted:

Just load up your save in the new version of Minecraft. Your old world will be there 100% To get to the new content simply travel to the Nether and go some distance then return to the overworld in a ungenerated chunk. Any chunks you never explored in your old save will generate as new content. Go out and explore!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 14, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the twitch nee curse launcher is probably the easiest one to use for ad-hoc modpack creation

like, i started playing a random skyblock pack, and it was trivial for me to just add vein miner and better builder's wands to it

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, like every few days I'll toss things out of the pack I'm using and add more in. Which means I usually need to start a new map, which means I'm getting a little burnt out on the early game, even if most of it is just setting up a lumberjack and miner from MineColonies.

About the worst thing I can say for the Twitch launcher is it updates often. Which is not a bad thing, but it adds patching time I was not expecting to deal with.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When it changed from Curse to Twitch the only thing I noticed was a change to the program icon and maybe the UI looks a little more crisp.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's also a functional launcher for any games you've received through Amazon/Twitch Prime via the My Games tab.. That was a nice bonus for me since I was already using this for Minecraft. Having to worry about the extra launcher was at least half the reason I hadn't bothered with some of those yet.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

AceClown posted:

I saw a serious interview with the Yogscast on the BBC website business section and just got amazed that these few dudes from this very forum have built a multi-million viewer brand from dicking about in games.

Edit: Also "The Bomb" remains to this day one of the funniest gaming videos I've ever seen

Red Matter for the win. My children love that episode, too.

PS: They have also asked if we can try it in our world. :cry:

lolmer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 14, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Trying to use modpacks off of Curse with the launcher was annoying, until I figured out where they hid the server downloads with all the mods preinstalled. Then in MultiMC, it was just, "Make instance with correct version, add correct version of Forge, copy overrides into instance folder, copy mods from server into mods folder". Not as simple as using the launcher, but better than downloading all the files manually.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

Trying to use modpacks off of Curse with the launcher was annoying, until I figured out where they hid the server downloads with all the mods preinstalled. Then in MultiMC, it was just, "Make instance with correct version, add correct version of Forge, copy overrides into instance folder, copy mods from server into mods folder". Not as simple as using the launcher, but better than downloading all the files manually.

Where is this?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
This is for FTB packs and probably others. On the pack page, click the tiny text that says "Project Site" in the quick info section, then click "Files", select the version you want (probably the highest-numbered one with the green R), and scroll down to Additional Files (below the changelog). All the mods in the zip should be the same ones Curse downloads, but you'll also need to copy the files from the main download. They're in a folder called Overrides, and they overwrite anything in your Minecraft directory. You'll also need to install Forge by yourself. The JSON file in the main download should list the recommended version toward the end, but you can probably just get the newest one.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand the point of doing this as opposed to just hitting the play button in Curse/Twitch. What am I missing here?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm looking at the various options for tree farms and I saw what goes into a Forestry farm these days. Why do I need more than 180 tin and to make a giant multiblock structure for an automated tree farm? Or an automated anything farm? So many other mods can do it for way cheaper.

It's good to see some things never change I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tyty posted:

I'm looking at the various options for tree farms and I saw what goes into a Forestry farm these days. Why do I need more than 180 tin and to make a giant multiblock structure for an automated tree farm? Or an automated anything farm? So many other mods can do it for way cheaper.

It's good to see some things never change I guess.

I think some mod authors believe if something took them a long time to code it should take the player a long time to build.