Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Herr Tog posted:

It is all up to the Elves now :smug:

So we're doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
High Elfs probably have shadow warrior types as Assasins.

Lizards had a special character chameleon Skink assassin, who according to fluff wandered around in the Chaos Realm and assassinated greater demons (which he cannot even remotely do in tabletop) with a poisoned blowpipe.

My guess is that Lizards will get Oldbloods as army leaders, Scar Vets as heroes (Scar Vets can ride a T-Rex in the tabletop, will be interesting to see if they leave that in. IIRC there are only few heroes who can get monstrous mounts of that size in the tabletop and iirc none in the computer game). One can also mount a Skink priest on an ancient stegadon (Triceratops).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I for one welcome our new bastiladon overlords.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mightypeon posted:

High Elfs probably have shadow warrior types as Assasins.

Lizards had a special character chameleon Skink assassin, who according to fluff wandered around in the Chaos Realm and assassinated greater demons (which he cannot even remotely do in tabletop) with a poisoned blowpipe.

My guess is that Lizards will get Oldbloods as army leaders, Scar Vets as heroes (Scar Vets can ride a T-Rex in the tabletop, will be interesting to see if they leave that in. IIRC there are only few heroes who can get monstrous mounts of that size in the tabletop and iirc none in the computer game). One can also mount a Skink priest on an ancient stegadon (Triceratops).

There was one Saurus doing that in the intro for the sequel.
Also, dinosaurs riding dinosaurs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cardiac posted:

There was one Saurus doing that in the intro for the sequel.
Also, dinosaurs riding dinosaurs.

And mount laser cannons on other dinosaurs.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Cythereal posted:

And mount laser cannons on other dinosaurs.

It is for reasons like this I am upgrading my computer. Mine is at the minimum specs and the game looks like rear end. I get sad seeing everyone posting badass screenshots. I will finally throw some money at my computer so I can see dinolasers at ultra setting glory.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Reasonably sure that the guy in the intro is Kroq Gar, who is a legendary lord with a Goa`Uld like "hand of the gods" and a particularly hungry T-Rex.

In the tabletop, even their heroes (who in the game are the type of guys who run around, join armies, assasinate etc.) can ride T-Rexes, so you can (and arguably should, because most armies have enough artillery to deal with one Rex, but not with 2) take 2 of them in comparably small battles. You can then back this up by a bunch of Stegadons.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
This LP is really cool - enjoying the valiant struggle of the Empire! It's also showing me a lot about how this game works.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Hmmm, playing wood elfs right now.

They feel almost as powerful as Dwarfs, and have a pretty easy time dealing with chariots and stuff. Wardancers wreck most infantry and are ok in tying up heroes (they are also available early, and often with silver chevron because there is an event with +5 levels for wardancers for a couple of turns which fires pretty often). Orion also quickly becomes a total murderbeast (I just had Orion stomp 3 units of Chaos trolls without taking a scratch in a pretty reasonable timeframe while also zapping their infantry with his AOE pseudo spells), and basically all of their troops are very serviceable.

You can even do a Parthian/Mongol impression with them pretty well.

The AI also isnt that good in dealing with hidden units. They will sent up isolated scouts which you can goonrush even if you just have a settlement garrison. An AI fullstack will normally just stomp a level 1 settlement, but with using hiding you can typically take out at least 1-3 of their scouty units.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mightypeon posted:

They feel almost as powerful as Dwarfs, and have a pretty easy time dealing with chariots and stuff. Wardancers wreck most infantry and are ok in tying up heroes (they are also available early, and often with silver chevron because there is an event with +5 levels for wardancers for a couple of turns which fires pretty often). Orion also quickly becomes a total murderbeast (I just had Orion stomp 3 units of Chaos trolls without taking a scratch in a pretty reasonable timeframe while also zapping their infantry with his AOE pseudo spells), and basically all of their troops are very serviceable.

The AI also isnt that good in dealing with hidden units. They will sent up isolated scouts which you can goonrush even if you just have a settlement garrison. An AI fullstack will normally just stomp a level 1 settlement, but with using hiding you can typically take out at least 1-3 of their scouty units.

Wood Elves are laughably overpowered, yes, and will eat dwarves alive and ask for seconds. With a relatively small investment in the red tree, Eternal Guard become Longbeard levels of tough, and their armor-piercing arrows will mulch them. Also, you have cavalry, and they don't.

There is a reason the latest patch set the Wood Elves' AI to mostly stick around their forest; without it they tended to rampage across the map unstoppably.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I took a long break from the game around the time Wood Elves came out and just recently started playing it again, so I missed out on crazy rampages, they tend to just murder Parravon for me, but their great hate for the beastmen and the way they gently caress with Skarsnik leads to Karak Norn often surviving in my games. I started a new Empire campaign and Karak Norn is doing expeditions to Norsca to raze villages and have Skaeling stacks chase them around. It's pretty funny.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Been having a good time in my Dorfs run.

I just resettled Kraka Drak! Just in time for Archaon and his Terrible Friends to come on down to visit. At least I have a few stacks already up there to fight themdie for Dorfkind. :ohdear:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

You can do some pretty ridiculous poo poo with the Welves. Early in one campaign I fought a somewhat large beastman army (roughly 3x minotaurs, about 3x gors, and about 4 each ungor raiders and spearmen, as well as a cygor, warhounds or razorgors, led by a beastlord), I had built some glade guard and eternal guard with shields but otherwise pretty much thought them with Orion's start army plus tier 1 units (I also had a unit of horse archers, don't remember if that's also one of Orion's start units).

I had Orion reinforced by a glade lord and I had the starting hero in Orion's army. So pretty much what I did was get the hero and the stalker bowmen around them to reach the cygor while the rest of the army grabbed a hill and I hid the wild riders and horse-archers in the woods. I baited the cygor with the hawk riders which seemed to work reasonably well then when the main beastman army was well ahead of the cygor I also hit him hard with all my stalker bowmen and began whittling him down. Minotaurs were shot to bits by glade guard and hit the lines with small numbers and routed quickly, while the rest of the beastmen hit the infantry line and were then mopped up by the cavalry (horse-archers pulled away the dog and killed them while the wild riders chased away the bowmen and then hit the infantry in the back). Then cygor dies and everything just crumbles. It wasn't even remotely fair, I only lost like 30 guys, and pretty much completely annihilated the beastman army in the ensuing rout due to wild riders and shooting while running.

I feel like with elves you often either win battles that way or you lose but keep shooting arrows and doing lots of bullshit the entire way and take alot of the enemy with you handing them a crippling pyrrhic victory.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What can the Empire do about units like Chaos Chariots? It feels like halberdiers should be the answer, but they just get mulched. Do I just have to hit them with my own cavalry, like Demigryphs?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Halberdiers beat them but take heavy losses doing it; heavy cavalry of any kind can properly beat them. Even Empire Knights can beat them in a straight up fight, because the chariots don't get the anti-infantry bonuses against them.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Well... from what I have seen, they are really good at disruption, and charging through ranks, but crap against armored units. So screen with heavy troops, bog them down, and take them out.
One thing to remember is that chariots get bonuses against infantry, so use of monstrous or mounted units will take care of that. Really, anything that isn't infantry and has anti large will be able to kill them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zebrin posted:

Well... from what I have seen, they are really good at disruption, and charging through ranks, but crap against armored units. So screen with heavy troops, bog them down, and take them out.
One thing to remember is that chariots get bonuses against infantry, so use of monstrous or mounted units will take care of that. Really, anything that isn't infantry and has anti large will be able to kill them.

So Reiksguard? no idea if they're anti large.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Reiksguard aren't anti-large but still beat chaos chariots in a fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the way you beat chariots with any faction is bog them down in fodder then send in your anti-large units

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Yeah, really that is one of the two ways to realistically take them out. They are small in number so you either set up a cav vs cav scenario, where you use your much larger unit size against them, or you basically sacrifice a cheap unit to hold them in place while sending something anti large in from the flanks.

Or you could manually control some of your artillery, and have some fun shooting them. Their path is generally blindingly obvious. But really, if you are doing that, you should have much more important targets to shoot at. Like the leader of the army.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Turns 145-153

The four horsemen of the apocalypse have come from the north. Archaon Everchosen. Sarthorael the Everwatcher, Greater Daemon of Tzeentch. Kholek Suneater the dragon-ogre. And Sigvald the ~*Magnificent*~. Each leads a fresh army of high-tier Chaos units to continue the invasion of our lands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dll329ggLIY

All good(-ish) factions have now recognized the threat of Chaos overrunning the Old World meaning that we now enjoy the 'Shield of Civilization' diplomatic perk, which provides a very large bonus and since we were already on good terms with them all we quickly end up being able to have whatever we want from them. Military alliances are formed with all of our surviving friends and instructions given to their armies to march on our enemies. Our computer-controlled allies cheat just as much as our enemies do so they have lots of armies to bring to bear in our defence.

To the east, the Dwarfs gather to attack Sylvania. We could certainly use a break from fighting Mannfred in order to focus on Archaon.

To the south, Averland and the Wood Elves move in on the beastmen tribes. Wissenland

Marienurg is under siege as usual.

The Dwarf empire is huge but the Bjornlings are nibbling away it throughout the Badlands. I doubt it will really slow down the Dwarfen juggernaut at this stage but let's hope it doesn't distract the Dwarfs from leveling Sylvania for us.

Our army production outstrips the ability of our war-ravaged cities to sustain, with Karl Franz raising a new army. But we have lots of gold as a result of extorting agreements out of all of our allies, which is exactly what we deserve given that we're the one's holding off endless hordes of Chaos, so we can run a deficit for a while.

The Chaos Gods themselves assail us.

Kholek ranges ahead of the main Chaos force and launches a solo invasion of Hergig. Sucks for him because the garrison is super strong and he gets crushed. Karl Franz soon arrives with his newly-raised reinforcements to hunt Kholek down in the aftermath.

The hapless von Carsteins fled north-east to Kislev escape our wrath, only find themsevles being used as a defensive buffer against the invading Chaos forces. Our southern provinces are secure for now thanks to our allies, so our main armies have set up camp in the ruins of Zavastra preparing to meet Archaon in battle.

A minor disaster occurs when Archaon heads towards Zavastra with only Sarthorael's army in tow. With Kholek defeated and Sigvald busy slaughtering the undead at Kislev, we could destroy these two stacks with minimal difficulty and end the threat here and now. But the campaign map reinforcement range is a bit unclear and I failed to get Taalson into range to support Gelt during his attack, forcing Gelt to withdraw and our armies then ran out of movement points, leaving them completely exposed.

The Chaos armies attack. Our two stacks are in range to support each other now but Sigvald also showed up to support Archaeon. Furthermore, the Chaos armies have split up our armies by attacking Taalson's army (which was behind Gelt's), meaning that the Chaos armies have interposed themselves between our armies. Taalson's army is really designed as a support setup to Gelt's so this is far from ideal, they will now have to fight independently of each other. The Chaos armies have a lot of good units such as Chosen, Chaos Giants and quite a lot of Chaos Knights on top of their infantry-blending monsters and heavy infantry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKsz8JKTKrQ

Heldenhammer! The Chaos armies piecemeal attack allowed us to make best use of Gelt's barrage of missile units. Perhaps the division of our forces wasn't such a drawback in light of that.

We've now entered the mopping up phase of the campaign, where my interest in playing wanes. Karl Franz has unstoppable momentum in his quest to defend and unite the Empire, casting out both the undead and Chaos invaders. Instead of playing to the end for the sake of it, I'm going to do things in the traditional manner for the TW-franchise and call it a day here.

This is the state of the world at our campaign's end. Bretonnia confederated the formerly rebellious dukedom of Bordeleaux. Our territory ranges across the entirety of the Empire except for Ostermark after confederating the remaining elector counts. The Dwarfs have have war crime'd the greenskins out of existence.

Thanks for reading!

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Thanks for the wonderful LP Mukip! You inspired me to pick the game up again, and I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around.

Do you have any plans to LP another faction?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Thanks and probably not. I've been into Steel Division recently.

raptus
Nov 10, 2004
- And he said "Grararararararargh" and I believed him!
A good ending to a great thread!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
An incredible LP. I thought you were doomed at a number of points. Good work and it was fun watching!

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Mukip posted:

Thanks and probably not. I've been into Steel Division recently.

Don't blame you, me too. I couldn't get into Wargame, but this is much more fun and accessible.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Very entertaining LP, you managed to fight some really tense and cinematic battles!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Was the reinforcement army in the last battle AI controlled? Looked like it had a great setup with all the artillery and handgunners positioned on the small hills. Good lp overall, usually it seems like people just breeze through the games but there were some tense moments against Skarsnik etc that were great.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Chaos are ruined. Green-skins are ruined. The Undead are all but technically ruined. All in all a win for the forces of good, who will now crumble to infighting in these times of peace and give way for Chaos to rise once more, as is tradition.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Stunning LP, Mukip. As a fan of both Warhammer and Total War, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Well played! That was so fitting an end. You keeping the health bars off the screen most of the time was a right decision and made it way more intense.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Good spot to end the LP. After the "Shield of Civilization" diplo buff vanishes everyone becomes a turbo rear end in a top hat.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Morbidmind posted:

Good spot to end the LP. After the "Shield of Civilization" diplo buff vanishes everyone becomes a turbo rear end in a top hat.

Not just from a loss of the buff, though. Every single faction leader gains the traits "Unreliable" and "Agressive", which mean exactly what you'd expect.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Fantastic work, extremely well worth following.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I just finished my latest Empire game... well, sort of. I'm still playing it, but I hit the Long Victory before Chaos arrived so... Well if Chaos isn't present then the Chaos portion of the Victory Con is complete.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bravo, excellent LP. Thank you for playing it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Faith, steel and gunpowder triumph again!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

nice

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Now that was a proper Imperial triumph! Great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Awesome LP! Great work!

• Locked thread