Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any advice for else Heartbreak? So far I have looked in about 20 garbage cans and smoked a cigarette some guy gave me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Millennial Sexlord posted:

The Something Awful Forums->Discussion->Games->All We Talk About is Persona

Gosh why would we talk about this very popular, very long, mechanically broad game that was just released, I simply can not fathom it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Morpheus posted:

Gosh why would we talk about this very popular, very long, mechanically broad game that was just released, I simply can not fathom it.

What if I told you that both of our posts contribute less to this thread than the post you quoted?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

One more tip for Persona that I missed, hitting square on the quick travel screen will show you which bonds are available in that area!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Hey speaking of Persona!

Any thoughts on the DLC: Orpheus or Izanagi?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any advice for else Heartbreak? So far I have looked in about 20 garbage cans and smoked a cigarette some guy gave me.

Dunno if it has changed much from when I played but most of the fun was in trying to break poo poo or do weird stuff to the world, the story was thin and at times just incomprehensible, if you're stuck it's entirely possible that the game itself is broken, I'd probably just play with a walkthrough

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Re: S-Links in Persona 3 in case anybody is crazy to play the original or FES: the timer for reversal is 60 days. When a girl hits level 7 then it subtracts 15 days each time you see another girl. Not once did I get an S-link in reversal so I'm going to assume it's really difficult to do.

Let me have my month of high school anime hijinks then this thread can go back to Mass Effect and Fallout until the next Souls title comes out.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One more tip for Persona that I missed, hitting square on the quick travel screen will show you which bonds are available in that area!

This is also explicitly said in game with a popup tutorial.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

South posted:

Doing a replay of Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and a first play through of Mass Effect 3 on my 360. I don't really remember much of 1 or 2. Any spoiler free tips for the three?
For ME3:

- Completing main missions will lock you out of doing some side missions, so if you want to be thorough you shouldn't rush the story.
- Most of the singleplayer DLC is pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a safety threshold of two missions, so you can go do Legion's loyalty mission and one other thing before you're in trouble.

And that one other thing can be Tali's mission, and it's a hoot if you take Legion along.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For ME3:

- Completing main missions will lock you out of doing some side missions, so if you want to be thorough you shouldn't rush the story.

Yeah, ironically, you want to do "priority" missions last if you want to see all of the content. "priority" on a mission just means it's a main story quest, there's no actual rush to do it, and in fact you should not rush to do it, for the reason above.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

1redflag posted:

What if I told you that both of our posts contribute less to this thread than the post you quoted?

Unfathomable

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tollymain posted:

any tips for teleglitch

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd also be interested in this.
Just fired it up again, here's some stuff, hope it helps:

- Resource management is the name of the game: Save ammo unless death's staring you in the face. but don't overdo it or you'll die with a full backpack. Save health - avoid getting damaged, but do eat the meat to keep your HP up. You can unload spare copies of weapons by picking them up and dropping them. Learn when early weapons become dead-ends, and when you get better stuff just use them up and leave them.
- Do the first 1-2 levels with the knife (back off to control your reach so you don't get mauled), it's there to help you conserve ammo. Also, enemies have some momentum, it's fun to kite hordes into black pudding.
- You hold the knife in right hand, the fork gun in the left. This matters for accurate aiming and knife-fighting.
- The map is your friend and a handy tool to tell where you haven't explored.
- Scavenge everything, combine items, put useless parts into weapon upgrades and whatnot. Remember that you can stash extra stuff and come back for it until you exit the level.
- Craft the lifesaver item (Teleporter; Medkit50 + 2 * Mchip or 2 * Medkit25 + 2 * Mchip) ASAP and carry at least one at all times. It'll save you ragequits.
- The always-closed doors in boss arenas are there to respawn from if you use the above lifesaver and can't return to the level start for obvious reason.
- Always-active accessories are awesome.
- If there's a crack in the wall that looks like a lovely texture joint, it may a secret place you can blow/shoot open (can take a few shots and may or may not be worth the ammo use).
- if there's a [ ] around a cabinet or terminal, it's one you haven't seen/opened yet (even if you've read all the terminals, there are special ones that will mark exits/cabinets on the map).
- Don't assume that current knowledge will apply to the next level, the game likes to surprise you. Usually with a swift kick in the balls.
- Don't do drugs.
- Each starting level gives you different starting item loadout so try them out, but it's up to you whether it's worth losing the potential savings compared to starting over from the beginning.
- keep your inventory tidy, it's really annoying to get killed because you had 15362 zombies chasing you and forgot how far down you had to scroll to swap to the shotgun.
- if you craft a new item combination, it'll go into the database and be viewable from the main menu even after you die.
- some enemies like to feign death. Don't assume it's dead just because you shoot it and it's lying immobile on the ground. If it's bleeding/drops weapon, you're safe.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, ironically, you want to do "priority" missions last if you want to see all of the content. "priority" on a mission just means it's a main story quest, there's no actual rush to do it, and in fact you should not rush to do it, for the reason above.

Tuchanka is an exception to this, you have to deal with one of them immediately, dealing with the Bomb, or else it'll go sideways if you do it second.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Millennial Sexlord posted:

The Something Awful Forums->Discussion->Games->All We Talk About is Persona

This poo poo happens every time a really big, obtuse game comes out. Were you around for 20 pages of MGSV discussion?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
For Persona 5 during class questions, you can press the touchpad to see what other people picked since you probably don't know obscure Wapaneese trivia.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Torment: Tales of Numenera?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

As with all games by Monte Cook if you dont play someone with the mental stat as the primary stat just go home.

Your first priority when leveling up is always increasing your edge in whatever that characters primary stat is. Anything else is a trap option until you do that, because the developers couldnt fix every terrible decision Monte Cook makes.

There little girl you can recruit takes a long time to power up and shes hard to get rid of. If you do tons of quests with her in the party in the first area you can easily get her past that long before you ever have a second fight in the game. Peacefully solve the end of the quest that recruits her for a special dialog ability.

Join the church of the Changing God ASAP as it gives you a free place to rest. Without it you will be insanely broke just trying to sleep to the point where it feels like Monte Cook refused to accept you wouldnt want to join them which is probably the case.

There are several characters not associated with quests who through dialog give you permanent stat upgrades. Talk to everyone always forever and do all their dialog.

There is 0 drawback to installing all the surgical upgrades into your body other than the monetary cost. Yes, this is stupidly balanced and youd be an idiot not to get all of the passive buffs installed.

Items labeled as oddities are for sale only. Dont bother hanging onto them.

Before completing the main quest in the necropolis, cash in all your sidequests. The game teleports you away forever once you finish it so buhbye xp.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Been trying to get up to date on Walking Dead lately and it's making me want to start playing State of Decay again. Are there any mods I can use that'll make it pretty much just securing places and gathering supplies and people? I remember trying to handle morale being a pain in the rear end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

limp_cheese posted:

We hit this earlier.

All oddities are safe to sell unless it has an interact button, in which there will be some flavor and in one case help with a puzzle. There's also a ropelike oddity that can be used to solve a puzzle, but if I remember correctly, you don't have a chance to sell it before it gets used.

There's an opportunity to upgrade your armor from Lady Anshe. She's in a little town that you reach though a portal. She's only available for a short time and you have to get it done then.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mayor McCheese posted:

Hey speaking of Persona!

Any thoughts on the DLC: Orpheus or Izanagi?
I dunno about Orpheus, but Izanagi DLC gives you two 20ish Personas as fusion options, with skills that you otherwise wouldn't get for a good while yet. So, they can make the game a lot easier depending on how much use you get out of putting Null Phys and Growth 3 on things by the third Palace.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Persona 5

The Death confidant is game-changing. Once you get her to rank 5, she sells some expensive accessories that recover SP each turn in battle. It's expensive (The best is 100k for a 7 SP/turn accessory), but it extends the productive time you can spend in dungeons ridiculously. At confidant rank 7, she cuts her prices in half, so you might want to grind up to rank 7 before you buy them for the whole party.

The Sun confidant is entirely optional (and I'll leave specifics about him out of this), but his abilities let you extort vastly more money out of Hold Ups. Basically he lets you keep asking for money again and again from the same fight. Each time you ask for more money there's a chance the enemies will start fighting you again, but I've gotten up to 6 times as much money from a single hold up. If you're finding yourself poor, he's a good option to pursue.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 17, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm going to play Persona 3 Portable on a really long flight in the near future, and that means no internet, so can anyone suggest to me some things that I need to know about it?

The last Persona/SMT game I played was Devil Survivor, and that was immensely frustrating when it locked me into endings that I didn't want, and I really don't want a repeat of that. I also don't NG+ so tell me what I need to do to get it right the first time.

the last smt game i played before that was revelations tds

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The White Dragon posted:

I'm going to play Persona 3 Portable on a really long flight in the near future, and that means no internet, so can anyone suggest to me some things that I need to know about it?

The last Persona/SMT game I played was Devil Survivor, and that was immensely frustrating when it locked me into endings that I didn't want, and I really don't want a repeat of that. I also don't NG+ so tell me what I need to do to get it right the first time.

Persona 3 only has one real ending. There is a bad ending, but it's the immediate kind with flashing lights and fair warning that has a rollback afterwards.

Max out Junpei's S.Link early for a better ending.

Keep your Sunday's free. There are a handful of S.Links that are only available on that day (the young man at the shrine, The online game, aaaand I think one other?).

To get Mitsuru's S.Link available you have to wow her with your exam scores. You need level 2 Knowledge for the midterms in May (along with correct answers to the multi-choice questions), or max-level for the late-game ones iirc.

Rainy days are best used for studying, because you get a bonus point out of it. Invite a friend to study with you for bonus points into their S.Link.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

My question about State of Decay remains but in addition to that I'd also like to ask..
Is there a good lets play of the Persona Series? I'm not entirely sure it's something I'd play through but it sounds interesting enough tip wise that I'd like to watch someone play.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Unlike SMT, your ending in Persona 3 is a choice and it's the difference between non-ending the game will scold you for and the actual end game. Everything on the beforeiplay article is fine, P3P is a far more casual game suited for pick up and play.

I just finished FES and managed to max everyone except three of the six girls. If you want to get the most out of the game in a single play here are my tips

Always talk to someone with a matching persona. You can get up to rank 3 without it but beyond that having a matching persona will save you about 1 wasted day per level.

If anyone calls you to hang out on a Sunday, ignore them until you finish the Hermit and Sun links. Hermit is only available on breaks and Sun only on Sundays. Sun will level up each time you talk to him no matter what. You want to level up a link before hanging out with them on Sundays because they'll be ready to level again after the meeting.

Prioritize your school links. They're not available in the week leading up to exams or when school is closed. The exception is Moon who is a student but doesn't hang out at school so you can talk to him during breaks. One school link doesn't become available until you level Heirophant a little.

When you have nothing to do at night, do an activity that raises your stats. Prioritize checking the arcade each night to see if the horror or quiz game are available because they give a huge boost to courage/knowledge. Three of the girls won't talk to you unless you have a maxed stat.

When you're done with Sunday links or when you have absolutely no one to talk to on a break or something, go to the shrine and pick a character you just leveled up. This will almost always make them ready to level up again so you don't waste a day.

The Aeon arcana becomes available in January and you have just enough time to max them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 16, 2017

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

My question about State of Decay remains but in addition to that I'd also like to ask..
Is there a good lets play of the Persona Series? I'm not entirely sure it's something I'd play through but it sounds interesting enough tip wise that I'd like to watch someone play.

I don't remember exactly all it does but I feel this mod might be what you're looking for. It does a ton of other poo poo so I'm not sure if that's what you want. Its what I always used.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Any pointers on Project CARS? I didn't see anything on the wiki.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any pointers on Project CARS? I didn't see anything on the wiki.

Don't start at the bottom tier, it is go karts and it is awful.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For ME3:
And that one other thing can be Tali's mission, and it's a hoot if you take Legion along.

Oh goddamnit.

For Andromeda, I just had a few priority missions dumped on me, and I'm assuming that although they seem time sensitive, they're really not. Is this correct? Can I dick around as much as I want before getting on with it, or is someone going to have a temper tantrum eventually?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Primitive Screwhead posted:

Oh goddamnit.

For Andromeda, I just had a few priority missions dumped on me, and I'm assuming that although they seem time sensitive, they're really not. Is this correct? Can I dick around as much as I want before getting on with it, or is someone going to have a temper tantrum eventually?

You are correct.

Also, to repeat advice from the distant past, don't feel compelled to do all the "additional tasks", they are generally boring chaff quests. Feel free to do them if they're on the way to a more interesting objective, but to my recollection all the "scan 10 plants/rocks/enemies" just end up with someone saying "thanks" and a generic reward. The plant quest actually bugged out on me and I couldn't find the NPC to finish it.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 16, 2017

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

I don't remember exactly all it does but I feel this mod might be what you're looking for. It does a ton of other poo poo so I'm not sure if that's what you want. Its what I always used.

That said it requires the YOSE version to work. Is there any chance it would work for the original version? I have all the dlc if that matters.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

That said it requires the YOSE version to work. Is there any chance it would work for the original version? I have all the dlc if that matters.

If you click on where it says "Files", in between "Desc" and "Images", there is a version there that supposedly works for non-YOSE.

I will warn you that influence becomes more important but more bullshit in this mod. Your storage locker has a limited amount of space and this mod includes your survivors passively finding weapons and putting them in the locker. They seem to favor heavy weapons that cost a lot of influence to take out. This mod makes everything cost 0 influence but I don't know if it works for non-YOSE.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 16, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For Nier: Automata: Is this sidequest flowchart from the first nier still relevant? Or are sidequests actually worth doing in this one?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Nier: Automata: Is this sidequest flowchart from the first nier still relevant? Or are sidequests actually worth doing in this one?

I wouldn't say all of them are worth doing, but they are much less of a hassle! Just ignore them until you unlock quick travel.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's less examples of the game outright trolling you via quests, so the majority of them are worth doing in one way or another. But definitely wait until you unlock fast travel about a third of the way through the game.

Also, its impossible to miss any quests (there's one optional ending you can miss, tied to a bonus boss) so don't worry about scouring every end of the map until the end of your third playthrough.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I dunno about Orpheus, but Izanagi DLC gives you two 20ish Personas as fusion options, with skills that you otherwise wouldn't get for a good while yet. So, they can make the game a lot easier depending on how much use you get out of putting Null Phys and Growth 3 on things by the third Palace.

Good to know, thanks!

And thanks for this!

Someone mentioned that there's a book you can read that adds one extra skill point to movie watching. I haven't stumbled on this yet, at least I don't think, does anyone recall what book it is?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mayor McCheese posted:

Good to know, thanks!

And thanks for this!

Someone mentioned that there's a book you can read that adds one extra skill point to movie watching. I haven't stumbled on this yet, at least I don't think, does anyone recall what book it is?

Cinema Treasures.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You get it in the Red-Light District, which will unlock with plot.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Krieg was a shitload of fun right up until you realise that playing as him breaks the core gameplay loop of the game (To get better guns) because you don't ever use guns as a melee-specced Krieg. I haven't touched Krieg since realising that.

Does anyone have any tips for Project Highrise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to add for Persona 5;

Don't bother reading the books that tell you about Hangout spots. You will encounter all of them by endgame just from going there with other people for their own Confidant rank-up events, or even main-story events. The only ones worth reading are for the Shrine (praying adds 2 points to one of your Confidant relationships) and Fishing Spots (opens up a place to go fishing).