Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I notice a lot of reviews have difficulty with the concept of a game forcing a player character to commit unpleasant actions without implicitly condoning those actions. So, so many games are player avatar power fantasies that I guess it's just become expected. I interpreted it as how sometimes mental illness just makes you do lovely stuff in front of your eyes even if inwardly you know it's bad, which at least in my experience it really does.

I thought it was Mae's personality since she is friends with Gregg and they used to commit crimes in HS. Most of her problems with mental illness occur when she was in college and during the ending scenes. She is not a Bad Person per se but just a different type of MC than what I'm used to for story games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

I thought it was Mae's personality since she is friends with Gregg and they used to commit crimes in HS. Most of her problems with mental illness occur when she was in college and during the ending scenes. She is not a Bad Person per se but just a different type of MC than what I'm used to for story games.

Angus pretty much sums her up in "Legends" when he says, "Mae I don't think you're a bad person but I do not trust you with any part of this process." She's smart enough to know right from wrong but she has Complications when it comes to interacting with polite society.

I like how she still tends to hit it right off with outcasts and weirdos like Lori M., Germ, and the Hollerers for the same reason she constantly strikes out with normal people - she's too oblivious to really know what she should or shouldn't do in social situations, so it lets her reach out to people who'd otherwise be ignored.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FreeKillB posted:

That review is :eyepop:

e: the partisan swipes are especially funny as anyone casually examining Scott Benson's twitter feed will see very quickly that he has little love for the Democratic Party.

I like the "as it’s fairly obvious from the start that there are no ghosts." part. Like no poo poo, the point of those scenes isn't the hunting of ghosts. No one playing the game is under any real impression that there's a ghost

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I like the "as it’s fairly obvious from the start that there are no ghosts." part. Like no poo poo, the point of those scenes isn't the hunting of ghosts. No one playing the game is under any real impression that there's a ghost

Ghost DNA can't melt steel beams.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alder posted:

Yeah it's not as clear cut as Mae making bad decisions because she has mental health problems. It's also the fact that she's regressed to her childhood by coming back to Possum Springs, and the fact that there's gently caress-all else to do in a dying mining town than shoplift and break things. God knows that is borne out by reality. The idea that the game is condoning her behavior at all is a hilariously backward interpretation though, one that you can only get to by ignoring the obvious negative effects Mae is having on her relationships.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

I notice a lot of reviews have difficulty with the concept of a game forcing a player character to commit unpleasant actions without implicitly condoning those actions. So, so many games are player avatar power fantasies that I guess it's just become expected. I interpreted it as how sometimes mental illness just makes you do lovely stuff in front of your eyes even if inwardly you know it's bad, which at least in my experience it really does.

i came to that conclusion fairly quickly but id be lying if i said i didnt try to avoid smashing poo poo in her first dream thinking that good behaviour might have a positive effect. its kind of funny how i defaulted to player avatar gameplay before just going with the flow. i almost want to tell friends i get to play this game to not worry about it

jabby posted:

The idea that the game is condoning her behavior at all is a hilariously backward interpretation though, one that you can only get to by ignoring the obvious negative effects Mae is having on her relationships.

you could argue that mae acting careless and immorally actively helps her connect with bea. in fact, the bad stuff she does with bea involve stealing, spraying people with a water cannon, smashing a furnace and digging up a grave and they're both bonding activities and unpunished. thats a long way from saying that the game actually condones her behaviour though

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 17, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Verviticus posted:

you could argue that mae acting careless and immorally actively helps her connect with bea. in fact, the bad stuff she does with bea involve stealing, spraying people with a water cannon, smashing a furnace and digging up a grave and they're both bonding activities and unpunished. thats a long way from saying that the game actually condones her behaviour though

True. Bea makes her put the stuff she stole back though, and the furnace was broken when they got there and needed to be smashed to get them out of the basement. Still leaves spraying people with water and vandalising a cemetery I guess, but the second one was at least in pursuit of answers rather than just hijinks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think the game condones Mae's behavior, but it does show that people like Bea who work hard and play by the rules still get screwed anyway. It's really important that Bea exists in NITW or it very easily could all be handwaved away as millenial angst.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bea yelling "My mom dying wasn't badass!" is like the worst fight in the game even after the Mom fight. There are so many time Mae has me screaming "nooooooooooooo" in this game, i literally had to take a quick walk away from the computer when she revealed Bea was from Possum Springs at the college party

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The best/worst part about Mae's social pratfalls is that she's totally oblivious to them. You'd think that some part of her brain would be screaming "STOOOOOOOPPPPP" during things like her little exchange at the college party but nope, nothing to worry about here!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The best/worst part about Mae's social pratfalls is that she's totally oblivious to them. You'd think that some part of her brain would be screaming "STOOOOOOOPPPPP" during things like her little exchange at the college party but nope, nothing to worry about here!

There is, it's you.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

NewMars posted:

There is, it's you.

Man I'm gonna be thinking about that for awhile

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NewMars posted:

There is, it's you.

:staredog:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

There are no brakes on this Mae train :v:

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

I had no idea anything was going wrong in that part until Bea ran away, and I had no idea why Bea ran away until I caught up with her at the river. :downs:

What happens if you agree to go dance some more? Does Mae just say, "OK, just gimme a minute to dress down Mr. Poli Sci here."

ArgumentatumE.C.T. fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 18, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the murdering of those with families trying to make a decent living via the only methods they are capable in a cruel society in the game Axelust Murderking is just compared to the atrocity that is messing up someone's pots and pans in the evil simulator known only as Night in the Woods.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

I had no idea anything was going wrong in that part until Bea ran away, and I had no idea why Bea ran away until I caught up with her at the river. :downs:

What happens if you agree to go dance some more? Does Mae just say, "OK, just gimme a minute to dress down Mr. Poli Sci here."

literally nothing

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

anime was right posted:

the murdering of those with families trying to make a decent living via the only methods they are capable in a cruel society in the game Axelust Murderking is just compared to the atrocity that is messing up someone's pots and pans in the evil simulator known only as Night in the Woods.

Hey don't forget the damage to the bathroom

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Really good analysis of the ending (major spoilers, obvs.): https://no-cartridge.com/the-monster-at-the-end-of-capitalism-ddf21fac8ae7

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Fantastic! I always appreciate writers who put my thoughts into words better than I will.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Verviticus posted:

literally nothing

Well not really. You just keep dancing. Then control is given back.

I started playing again after I beat it, because I wanted to see the Gregg scenes (I did all Bea stuff first because I liked her, Mae and Bea reminded me of the trash gals in Undertale), but then I was just speedrunning past like... everything to get the first part of the game over with and like... I dunno, it felt wrong to go past Selmers and the teacher and the kids and... I dunno.

However, regarding the thing you find outside the diner. If you poke the arm too much without revealing the tattoo, your aunt shows up without you finding it, and it doesn't go into the journal. Damnit, I just wanted to click the roach! So I guess I oughta start over again anyway.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Skunkrocker posted:

Well not really. You just keep dancing. Then control is given back.

he means immediately before she says all the embarrassing things. i said yes every time and she just says Sure! and then the same dialog happens

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 22, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Such a good game.

The ending really had me thinking about what happens next for the town and our characters.

Nothing happens next because it is a game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

precision posted:

how does it feel to be so incredibly boring

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

precision posted:

It's just like... pixels.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/michaeldoigart/status/857500246615699456

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress yeah that's really cool.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

That's pretty amazing.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Super Best Friends just started an LP of NitW, and their intro is pretty cool.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arkannoyed posted:

Reading every line in wacky voices is going to sink that one quick.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

All the YouTubers that do this really should not. It's not that I'm even against having the characters voiced, it's just these people are uniformly terrible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxxidation posted:

I have a shocking secret to reveal to everyone: It won't. It doesn't sink any of the big youtubers that play the game, the majority of people want the voices. The majority of people want the silly voices always

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arkannoyed posted:

I can't get over "su'p"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Not only do they always do that, but when they played Undertale, they also spent every scene with Sans mimicking the sound of his dialogue noise. They're really loving bad about this kind of thing. I really should unfollow them on YouTube.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lol just lol if you think I'm clicking on that lovely youtuber lets play link

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bae

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

They're just reading them in their normal voices it sounds like, which is a nice change of pace from every other playthrough of this game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

On a note unrelated to :mediocre: Let's Players,I finally got this game started. I'm just wondering-any tips for the band practice? Other than "get gud", of course. Those kinda minigames have always been a pain in my rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Don't worry about it. You don't have to do well to pass (and there's actually an achievement for sucking hard at all of them) and the final one will break your puny fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Oxxidation posted:

Don't worry about it. You don't have to do well to pass (and there's actually an achievement for sucking hard at all of them) and the final one will break your puny fingers.

Oh,good to hear. Because that last part where you have to press ALL THE BUTTONS at once destroyed me.