Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

A game cannot be called that unless it has rules for vaginal opening circumference.
:goonsay:

Quick, make a table that measures the damage a 5.56mm round fired from a fouled-up, sorta worn out M16 would do if it was hitting a baby's rear end in a top hat at 10k feet ASL.

Coming soon: FATAL COMMAND

xthetenth posted:

What other game system lets you deliver six digit damage headshots to gender stereotypes?

However, it reinforces the gently caress out of engineer stereotypes.

Someone probably once said that war isn't rocket science and two guys took offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
War isn't rocket science

Rocket scientists: well, actually

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
When is it going to be my turn to fail to carry an m60?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

IS IT BECAUSE YOU'RE A BORED AREA 51 AI THAT HAD A PDF OF PHOENIX COMMAND UPLOADED DURING YOUR FORMATIVE CYCLES?

That's classified!

JcDent posted:

Someone probably once said that war isn't rocket science and two guys took offense.

You know how from time to time someone will offhandedly mention that hit points make no sense and wouldn't some more realism would be nice, and someone else replies that hit points is the best possible model, because nobody could make a realistic damage model?

Barry Nakazono is the guy who said Watch me.

xthetenth posted:

What other game system lets you deliver six digit damage headshots to gender stereotypes?

:kimchi:

But Phoenix Command has a dark history... :ohdear:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Aw wow, someone actually running Phoenix Command! I gotta get in on this. Are we still taking signups or shall I wait until the roster has been thinned out a bit?

I really hope that means we're not heading into :biotruths: territory...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Green Intern posted:

Grimace should spend his time off from the field reading up on tactics and leadership strategies.

I was elected to lead, not to read!

Seriously though, that's probably a good idea. Any kind of training I can do that won't aggravate the bum leg is a better use of the time than just getting drunk and firing rounds randomly into the desert outside base.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Even with a -2 Action Count penalty from the wound, Grimace is still one of the more competent soldiers in the unit! :v:

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I was elected to lead, not to read!

Seriously though, that's probably a good idea. Any kind of training I can do that won't aggravate the bum leg is a better use of the time than just getting drunk and firing rounds randomly into the desert outside base.

If you can't do both, what kind of leader are you? :colbert:

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

How do you plan on doing procurement Phi? Not having radios and binoculars will be a problem sooner rather than later.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BODY ARMOR would be nice.

By the way, how up-to-date is our equipment database? Piat, dahling, mayhaps you have a line on some Phoenix Comman version of the 1.13 Arsenal mod?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Phi did mention something about loot. We just haven't been informed of what what that is aside from our new used hatchback

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

By the way, how up-to-date is our equipment database? Piat, dahling, mayhaps you have a line on some Phoenix Comman version of the 1.13 Arsenal mod?

There's no real organized project past or current[1], but I have some notes down and give me a list of guns and I should be able to provide you with a weapon data cards for almost all of them.

[1] And the few attempts that did exist are from before I completely revolutionized the field by running mass data analysis on the entire PCCS weapons database, and therefore less accurate than anything me and my spreadsheets[2] can produce. :3:

[2] Which I can give people if they want to help crowdsource creating a weapons database.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LatwPIAT posted:

Even with a -2 Action Count penalty from the wound, Grimace is still one of the more competent soldiers in the unit! :v:

Didn't I only have 3 to start with? How would I be effective with half of everybody else's actions?

I assume that -2 is just until the wound heals based on what Phi said and your spoiler tag'd info further up, I still heal fully with the advanced rules you mentioned?

Coffeehitler posted:

If you can't do both, what kind of leader are you? :colbert:

A leader who knows the value of not wasting ammo while we're stuck in the middle of nowhere. We can't even get consumer grade products! I had to siphon my booze out of the Hired Goons tanker when we were being flown in to their air base on the way here. That guy is going to be pissed when he finds out we raided his stash.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
Oh man, this game. And I thought CMANO was groggy! Sign me up for an eventual horrible death just in case we need even more warm bodies.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Didn't I only have 3 to start with? How would I be effective with half of everybody else's actions?

I assume that -2 is just until the wound heals based on what Phi said and your spoiler tag'd info further up, I still heal fully with the advanced rules you mentioned?

At full health you have 10 actions per 2-second Phase, divided across the four 0.5-second Impulses in a 3-2-3-2 pattern. Currently you've taken a wound that reduces your actions to 8 per 2-second Phase, for a 2-2-2-2 in the Impulses. And if Phi lets my roll stand, yes, you will suffer no permanent effects. Whenever someone's wounded and not in combat and full of adrenaline, they take a [Remaining Healing Time]/20 penalty to their number of Combat Actions, and you'll need about 45 days to recover, for a penalty of -2. Once you're down to 29 days remaining, that'll drop to -1, and once you hit 9 days left you're fully healed for most intents and purposes.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, the much more important thing to get hold of rather than any new guns is MODERN BODY ARMOUR. Seriously, modern ceramic/fibre mix armours are really good at stopping bullets if you can deal with the extra 20-40kg of weight (it's also alot easier to get hold of than weapons, because body armour is legal for sale in most jurisdictions, even ones that restrict firearms!)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nothing to seehere posted:

Yea, the much more important thing to get hold of rather than any new guns is MODERN BODY ARMOUR. Seriously, modern ceramic/fibre mix armours are really good at stopping bullets if you can deal with the extra 20-40kg of weight (it's also alot easier to get hold of than weapons, because body armour is legal for sale in most jurisdictions, even ones that restrict firearms!)

Lol the m60 is only like 12kg and it made popete move 4 times per phase so if you guys want we can waddle around

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

LatwPIAT posted:

There's no real organized project past or current[1], but I have some notes down and give me a list of guns and I should be able to provide you with a weapon data cards for almost all of them.

[1] And the few attempts that did exist are from before I completely revolutionized the field by running mass data analysis on the entire PCCS weapons database, and therefore less accurate than anything me and my spreadsheets[2] can produce. :3:

[2] Which I can give people if they want to help crowdsource creating a weapons database.

I was just about to ask if there were stats for weapons like the SAW or more modern turret weapons...I had a twisted fantasy of strapping a 40 cal to the hatchback.

Also, screw it. I'll sign up for reserves, Call me Spam

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 22, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

nothing to seehere posted:

The weight of that body armor will plunge the entire team into permanent slow motion. They will start fiddling with a bipod and the enemies will just stare at them in amazement at their sloth like motion as their bipod fiddling continues over hours and hours.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We seriously need to do some exercise. An average soldier can handle a combat load of 40 kilos without slowing significantly.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If there's anything I've learned from 'UFO: Enemy unknown' It's that rookies are disposable, good armor is not.
Besides, you are not girly men who avoid danger- you are Goons!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Without looking too hard at the numbers, I feel like we can have proper kit and still move at an acceptable rate, but only after a bunch of training (like, you know, the training we miserably washed out of not too long ago).

We're not hardened professional soldiers, we're a bunch of 18 year old wash outs that don't even need to shave yet who barely know which end of the gun to hold. Which when you think about it is kinda hosed up, but welcome to the grimdark future of 20XX.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 16, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If we continue the survival/kill rate the sheer experience of combat will catapult us alone into elite status.

If

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

LatwPIAT posted:

I want more excuses to play my favorite game, excel.

God help me I've actually been doing work with it at work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For the glory that is Phoenix Command, sign me up for the reserves as Maserati.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Since people have been arguing about how much to load our combat teams up with, here's a table to make the relationship between carried weight and Combat Actions clear.

Armor has the following weights:

code:
Type                             Wt.    PF
Light Flexible:                  2.0      4
Medium Flexible:                 2.6      6
Heavy Flexible:                  3.2      9
Light Rigid:                     7.9      6
Rigid:                          11.5     10
Medium Rigid:                   15.0     16
Heavy Rigid:                    24.0     30
Light Helmet:                    2.2      6
Medium Helmet:                   3.1     10
Heavy Helmet:                    4.0     16
Visor:                             0.8    4
PF 4 can stop all standard pistol and submachine gun rounds at the muzzle, and most hand grenade splinters. PF 6 can stop all hand grenade splinters. PF 9 can stop shotgun slugs. PF 10 can stop 5.56 NATO at 200 hexes and 7.62x39 at 40 hexes. PF 16 can stop 5.56 NATO at the muzzle, and 7.62 NATO at 70 hexes. PF 30 stops basically all kinds of small-arms fire.

All of our mercs wear clothing (5.0) and a combat harness (0.6), and most will have a pair of magazine pouches (0.8 each)

The M16A2 weighs in at 8.5 when fully loaded, and each extra magazine weighs 1.0. The M60, loaded with a 100-round belt and fitted with a bipod, weighs 29.7, and each additional belt weighs 6.5. Each M67 weighs 0.9.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 17, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LatwPIAT posted:

All of our mercs wear clothing (5.0) and a combat harness (0.6), and most will have a pair of magazine pouches (0.8 each)

I think I found a way to cut a few pounds

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Think of how much weight we would save if we just ran into battle naked like some barbarian horde.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ManMythLegend posted:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Since people have been arguing about how much to load our combat teams up with, here's a table to make the relationship between carried weight and Combat Actions clear.

Armor has the following weights:

code:
Type                             Wt.    PF
Light Flexible:                  2.0      4
Medium Flexible:                 2.6      6
Heavy Flexible:                  3.2      9
Light Rigid:                     7.9      6
Rigid:                          11.5     10
Medium Rigid:                   15.0     16
Heavy Rigid:                    24.0     30
Light Helmet:                    2.2      6
Medium Helmet:                   3.1     10
Heavy Helmet:                    4.0     16
Visor:                             0.8    4
PF 16 can stop 5.56 NATO at the muzzle, and 7.62 NATO at 70 hexes. PF 30 stops basically all kinds of small-arms fire.

What is Heavy Rigid in real-world terms? Uparmored Humwee door?

How slow would our dudes be in medium rigid and a medium helmet?

How slow would our Best Merc be in Heavy Rigid, a.k.a. the absurd video game EOD titan armor?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Imagine plate armour, but made out of ceramic plates instead of steel.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Add in pre-battle enemas for everyone and we're really racking up the savings!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe we can get lighter guns? Carbines, Pdws, thar sorta thing?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Does the reduced speed matter as much if we're all decked out Heavy Rigid, just Juggernauting through sprays of fire?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

How slow would our dudes be in medium rigid and a medium helmet?

How slow would our Best Merc be in Heavy Rigid, a.k.a. the absurd video game EOD titan armor?

With Medium+Medium+Clothing+Rig+Magazine Pouches+M16A2, most of our guys would be waddling around at 2, maybe 3 actions, with Grimace managing a full 4. Phoenix Command is unrealistically brutal when it comes to the effect armour. It's fine when calculating Maximum Speed, but it gets ridiculous that wearing a heavy vest makes you that much slower when prone and aiming a rifle.

Grimace in Heavy+Heavy+Visor+Clothing+Rig+Magazine Pouches would be waddling around at 3 actions, probably fewer when loaded up with ammo and weapons.

Luckily, we can get pretty good protection without resorting to the heavier armours. If the PF of the armour is more than half of the incoming bullet's PEN, the Damage Class of that bullet is reduced to 1 before wounding. Which is significant! Some Heavy Flex and a decent helmet would increase survivability, even if our casualties don't go down.

Also, protection against fragmentation grenades.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rockopolis posted:

Does the reduced speed matter as much if we're all decked out Heavy Rigid, just Juggernauting through sprays of fire?

Its not just speed. We wouldn't even be able to aim and shoot let alone do things like open doors or deploy bipods.

With 3CA it would take 3 full phases to deploy a bipod

A full phase to open a door etc...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Note that we can increase some stats with the right facilities , and remember that skill level translates to speed and actions too

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Unrealistic armour penalties are a plague on RPGs in general. Kind of funny that its infected this one, considering all the painstaking effort the creators have gone through to try and make it realistic.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

ZeroCount posted:

Unrealistic armour penalties are a plague on RPGs in general. Kind of funny that its infected this one, considering all the painstaking effort the creators have gone through to try and make it realistic.

Usually when I play Phoenix Command I let people ignore the penalty for carrying stuff except when calculating how far you can run each phase. It seems more realistic and matches the real-world gunnery range data I fitted the game to pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was going to make a joke about Grimace being used to waddling around, so I was looking to see if I could find where someone had photoshopped Grimace into being in military gear.

Instead, I found this which seems appropriate:

• Locked thread