Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

It was really confusing in Avalanche how the guy bringing up all the problems re: the development and potential avalanches is just some random photographer who doesn't even live there full time.

With snowballs!

Also, you just reminded me of one of my favorite jokes: Tilda Swinton/ Llama picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At the Earth's Core is basically a third Peter Cushing Dr. Who movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Can't be

Daleks aren't the main characters

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What I really appreciated about that movie is that once the opening credits end, it wastes no time getting the protagonists underground. Kind of refreshing actually.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Burkion posted:

Can't be

Daleks aren't the main characters

haha, good point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Finally able to watch Avalance.

Holy poo poo a "stupid sexy Flanders" gag followed immediately by a "Better Off Dead" reference. Plus Time Travelers had a The State reference!

Have I mention that I love this season? Because I love this season.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruteman posted:

What I really appreciated about that movie is that once the opening credits end, it wastes no time getting the protagonists underground. Kind of refreshing actually.

Yeah, like in the Land That Time Forgot there is a ton of boat intrigue but here, drink your liquor, lets bore into the earth like there wont be a tomorrow was well appreciates.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
As the season progresses, they seem to fix some of the joke pacing issues. It really felt like they were trying to fill every second of silence with a joke in the first couple of episodes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

AVALANCHE question: What the gently caress happens to Robert Forster in that movie. He's the guy in every disaster movie who no one will listen to and then as soon as the avalanche hits the vanishes from the movie. And then Rock Hudson, who's an rear end in a top hat, suddenly turns into the hero. It really feels like at some point, their roles got switched. Forster just turns up once the fun is over, and largely just stands around while the totally heterosexual Rock Hudson saves people.

I can't figure out why he was complaining about the construction in the dangerous snow. Just because last night's snowfall was one that allowed for avalanches doesn't mean that every snowfall is. A better movie would have set that up where he as an avalanchologist was trying to warn about dangerous avalanche conditions and insisting that the resort be closed until they could clear the danger ("There's an unprecedented snowpack on that mountain and it could fall on us at any minute!") but Rock Hudson won't listen ("Shut down on Fourth of July weekend? Are you mad? Besides, we have little avalanches all the time and no one gets hurt."). Instead it seems to be implying that pretty much any ski resort is a deathtrap just waiting to happen (oh my god! There's snow and a slope! It's just a matter of time...).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe my brain has just been warped by a decade of deliberately watching bad movies, but Time Travelers seems like it would be fine on its own terms.

I'm going slow, so I've only just now gotten through The Time Travelers, and I agree. It's more than a little corny but really not bad at all. There were a bunch of movies of that exact genre: it's the fifties or early sixties, there's a band of scientists consisting of a clean-cut man, a pretty woman, and (optionally) a comic relief character and an old guy, and they try to save the world from some situation which may or may not be of their own making. Think of movies like When Worlds Collide, or This Island Earth, or War of the Worlds (the 1953 George Pal one, of course). Hell, even Destination Moon comes pretty close to qualifying. These were the Sunday afternoon movies of my childhood, and I still love them. (That doesn't stop me from also loving it when they turn up on MST, though.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Random Stranger posted:

A better movie would have set that up where he as an avalanchologist was trying to warn about dangerous avalanche conditions and insisting that the resort be closed until they could clear the danger ("There's an unprecedented snowpack on that mountain and it could fall on us at any minute!") but Rock Hudson won't listen ("Shut down on Fourth of July weekend? Are you mad? Besides, we have little avalanches all the time and no one gets hurt.").

And then a snow-shark shows up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

And then a snow-shark shows up.

I think you'll find that someone trademarked "snow-shark" specifically so it couldn't be used in a disaster movie.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
http://imdb.com/title/tt2622826/

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Random Stranger posted:

I can't figure out why he was complaining about the construction in the dangerous snow. Just because last night's snowfall was one that allowed for avalanches doesn't mean that every snowfall is. A better movie would have set that up where he as an avalanchologist was trying to warn about dangerous avalanche conditions and insisting that the resort be closed until they could clear the danger ("There's an unprecedented snowpack on that mountain and it could fall on us at any minute!") but Rock Hudson won't listen ("Shut down on Fourth of July weekend? Are you mad? Besides, we have little avalanches all the time and no one gets hurt."). Instead it seems to be implying that pretty much any ski resort is a deathtrap just waiting to happen (oh my god! There's snow and a slope! It's just a matter of time...).

The problem IIRC was when they cleared the trees to make room for the event, the trees would have provided something for the snow to anchor to

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Random Stranger posted:

This sounds like it would have been how the Irwin Allen version would have gone.

So are red beans and rice the best side at Popeye's?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

Her acting is bad and her hair is worse.

Mia Farrow was the scariest part of that film. She was so pallid and stringy-haired and skeletal-looking I thought she was supposed to be playing a cancer patient or a woman dying of Ali McGraw Syndrome at first.

I mean, Mia Farrow never had lingerie model curves but even so she looked really, really unwell in Avalanche to the point I thought she might have been anorexic.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

twistedmentat posted:

This sounds like it would have been how the Irwin Allen version would have gone.

So are red beans and rice the best side at Popeye's?

Yes. Their biscuits are also great.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would watch Volcanosaurus Rex.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Instead it seems to be implying that pretty much any ski resort is a deathtrap just waiting to happen (oh my god! There's snow and a slope! It's just a matter of time...).

Maybe it was the era in which the movie was made? I'm not really versed in the late 70s/early 80s, but I got this vibe that they were trying to blend an old-fashioned mentality ("look at these silly dudes treating any sort of progress with danger!") with a more progressive tone ("these guys know what they are talking about!").

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So Avalanche...

It's an hour of setting up all these characters, then the avalanche happens and almost everyone just dies in five minutes, then everyone else dies except Mia and Rock, and Mia somehow manages to get a taxi to the avalanche zone.

Did I miss anything?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

So Avalanche...

It's an hour of setting up all these characters, then the avalanche happens and almost everyone just dies in five minutes, then everyone else dies except Mia and Rock, and Mia somehow manages to get a taxi to the avalanche zone.

Did I miss anything?

Skiing and figure skating? That's about all I recall in the middle of that movie.

Also, has anyone noticed how the doors in the door sequence appear to be the other rooms of the SoL? The first one's the laundry room, you can even see yellow jumpsuits stacked up on the washer/dryer. One's obviously a bedroom, with a hammock. There's also what I'd assume is a kitchen: has bar-stools on the right and a series of vats on the left. There's also a bathroom, a workshop, and at least one other. Pretty impressive level of detail in this sequence, i find myself noticing more and more each time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

duz posted:

Yes. Their biscuits are also great.

I went to Popeye's for dinner tonight and they didn't have any! They did have biscuts though.

Oh hey Joel McHale!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Capn Jobe posted:

Skiing and figure skating? That's about all I recall in the middle of that movie.

Also, has anyone noticed how the doors in the door sequence appear to be the other rooms of the SoL? The first one's the laundry room, you can even see yellow jumpsuits stacked up on the washer/dryer. One's obviously a bedroom, with a hammock. There's also what I'd assume is a kitchen: has bar-stools on the right and a series of vats on the left. There's also a bathroom, a workshop, and at least one other. Pretty impressive level of detail in this sequence, i find myself noticing more and more each time.

The last one has a tiny crow head in it, it's so adorable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just got to the end of 14 and YAY! Mary Jo, Kevin and Bill are actually on-set!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Capn Jobe posted:

The workshop has a spare Crow head, which is a really nice touch. It all appears to be stop-motion with miniatures, which is a nice touch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I don't know why Kinga got so upset over what happened at the end. It seems like a way better ratings stunt than what she had planned, unless she's going meta and just pretending to be angry to make it an even bigger cliffhanger.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

I know!

And holy poo poo Jonah Rey is like 2x as tall as Felicia Day.

Who was the Head Observer? Sounded a lot like Iggy Pop.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know why Kinga got so upset over what happened at the end. It seems like a way better ratings stunt than what she had planned, unless she's going meta and just pretending to be angry to make it an even bigger cliffhanger.

You know Kinga would do anything for those sweet ~*ratings*~.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I liked was that they mostly avoided getting too overtly meta about MST itself. I only really caught a couple of 'wink' moments, and they were mostly fun. Like Jonah trying to stop Beast Of Hollow Mountain and the bots telling him they're made of the parts to do that. And something about Bill's delivery of "Hmph, and they call this the not-too-distant future!" when Bobo says human/robot marriage is still illegal just makes me giggle.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Gaz-L posted:

One thing I liked was that they mostly avoided getting too overtly meta about MST itself. I only really caught a couple of 'wink' moments, and they were mostly fun. Like Jonah trying to stop Beast Of Hollow Mountain and the bots telling him they're made of the parts to do that. And something about Bill's delivery of "Hmph, and they call this the not-too-distant future!" when Bobo says human/robot marriage is still illegal just makes me giggle.

I liked that too. They also had at least one "Mitchell!" and they said "Watch out for Snakes!" in almost every episode it seems like. I'm sure they'll come up with their own catchphrases as time goes on, but nodding to the old series is a good move.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Hydra fight in The Loves of Hercules is amazing. They put so much effort into constructing the Hydra prop but good god, the direction in that scene was abysmal. I know budget and technical limitations kept them from making a model that can do more but god, they didn't even try to shoot around it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mangler103 posted:

I liked that too. They also had at least one "Mitchell!" and they said "Watch out for Snakes!" in almost every episode it seems like. I'm sure they'll come up with their own catchphrases as time goes on, but nodding to the old series is a good move.

They did a lot of the running gags (and I might be wrong, but I feel like "Did I stutter?" sort of is one, because I don't recall the others doing it, but Jonah did it like 5 or 6 times this season) but I meant more jokes that lean on the idea that MST3K is a thing. The other one was Tom singing a version of the love theme during Beast as well. (Though that one is possibly because I've heard some people think the first Mike-era theme goes "so they conked him on the noggin and shot him in the face")

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I suppose I could act elsewhere, but why are so many Italian movies dubbed? The obvious answer would be "because they are speaking Italian", but the lip movements always look like they are in English anyway.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

MisterBibs posted:

I suppose I could act elsewhere, but why are so many Italian movies dubbed? The obvious answer would be "because they are speaking Italian", but the lip movements always look like they are in English anyway.

In Italian filmmaking of that era, sound was almost never recorded on set. And in some cases, actors just read their lines in whatever language they speak, and everything is dubbed in later. Helps with international markets and such.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Oh god, the wife character in Yongary looks so uncomfortable when she has to kiss her husband early on. She even leans out of the way so their lips don't touch.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 18, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

mangler103 posted:

In Italian filmmaking of that era, sound was almost never recorded on set. And in some cases, actors just read their lines in whatever language they speak, and everything is dubbed in later. Helps with international markets and such.

Yeah, even really good Italian films from the era like the Dollars Trilogy do this. It's actually one of the reasons they're so sparse on dialogue.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Italian films were made to appeal to international audiences. As such, they had a system where they would make sure that the top four cast members were an American, a Brit, an Italian, and then either a French or German. That way, the films could be marketed in each country as, "Starring..." the person known in that country. Of course, this meant that your four main characters all spoke with a different accent, hence the dubbing.

I remember watching one of these (I think Black Sunday, different movie from Black Sabbath), and remarking, "Why is it dubbed in English when it looks like the actors' are mouthing English words?"

Often the primary script was in English, because that happened to be the language almost everyone spoke.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

I know!

And holy poo poo Jonah Rey is like 2x as tall as Felicia Day.

Who was the Head Observer? Sounded a lot like Iggy Pop.

Dude, that was Paul Chapin! You know, bit part guy in pretty much the entire latter half of the series?

Also, favourite meta joke: But the cowboy didn't like him and he shot him in the fa-ace!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

LabyaMynora posted:

Italian films were made to appeal to international audiences. As such, they had a system where they would make sure that the top four cast members were an American, a Brit, an Italian, and then either a French or German. That way, the films could be marketed in each country as, "Starring..." the person known in that country. Of course, this meant that your four main characters all spoke with a different accent, hence the dubbing.
This is also what the Fast and the Furious movies do, and it's why the newest one just made more money than Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mangler103 posted:

There's a great scene in Truffaut's Day For Night where the director calls action and the actress says a bunch of gibberish numbers, because Federico Fellini wouldn't write the dialogue until after they'd shot the film.