Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

John Mcdonald gave a talk in Year last december saying he expected a general election this year: I think Labour HQ has done some planning (or at least I hope so if the shadow chancellor expected this)

Also: New gerrymandered boundaries arn't in yet at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Did anyone else catch the BBC reporter on live television, cutting away from his interview mid-sentence to yell at ministers from 30 feet away, MR JOHNSON! MR JOHNSON! ARE YOU HAPPY? MR JOHNSON!

good tele m8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the lib dems as a party

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

Is there even a remote possibility that labour hasn't planned for this eventuality? I don't buy the "no advanced planning" at all.

Oh, I'd imagine there's a fair chance. They don't exactly exude competence.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can we expect a response from Jeremy today or is it a day off?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

Is there even a remote possibility that labour hasn't planned for this eventuality? I don't buy the "no advanced planning" at all.

they've talked about it a lot, so I'm sure they've considered the possibility. It may turn out better for Corbyn, McDonnel, Milne et al to pretend they were caught offguard to save their own embarrassment though.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

very clever with maracas posted:

Did anyone else catch the BBC reporter on live television, cutting away from his interview mid-sentence to yell at ministers from 30 feet away, MR JOHNSON! MR JOHNSON! ARE YOU HAPPY? MR JOHNSON!

I like how he admitted that no-one would answer him after trying it twice.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Looking forward to this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baron Corbyn posted:

the absolute madwoman

It's a mercy killing for the Labour Party. Surely even somone like Corbyn will know he must resign if he leads his party to electoral ruin. Once he's gone you can start to rebuild.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
okay but what if this is the wake-up call and the Labour Right finally shuts the gently caress up and stands with Corbyn and the membership, if only for their own self-preservation?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Can we expect a response from Jeremy today or is it a day off?

Weather is good so hes probably on his allotment so probably doesn't know yet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

When is it ever not? Thought you'd be happy though Tess, you're going to get a government to definitely lead us over the cliff of Brexit and into abject misery.

The Tories being in power won't change, but decimating Labour is definitely not a good outcome.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

might just be coincidence that Jeremy started announcing labour policies over the last week

actually knowing Jeremy it probably was

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

Looking forward to this.

Because you live in another country and are therefore insulated from the result of your support for Jeremy Corbyn and his loving of the Labour Party?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
"The fight starts now" - Jeremy Corbyn, June 9th 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Who's the twat on sky news talking about "I think the people in this country like democracy, they like to vote!" ?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

ukle posted:

Weather is good so hes probably on his allotment so probably doesn't know yet.

Please God let him respond live while holding a courgette.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

This might cost the SNP some seats if unionist/leaver voters are sufficiently motivated.

Possibly, 2015 was an extremely good result, but the inevitable focus on Brexit will strongly favour the nats.

All of that stuff about the "day job" is going to be a hard sell now too, especially in the next couple of weeks leading to the local elections. Is Ruth going to start talking about bin collections and motoring offences this Thursday?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ElNarez posted:

okay but what if this is the wake-up call and the Labour Right finally shuts the gently caress up and stands with Corbyn and the membership, if only for their own self-preservation?

lol, good one!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the debates will be a right laugh

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

:rip:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Alertrelic posted:

Possibly, 2015 was an extremely good result, but the inevitable focus on Brexit will strongly favour the nats.

All of that stuff about the "day job" is going to be a hard sell now too, especially in the next couple of weeks leading to the local elections. Is Ruth going to start talking about bin collections and motoring offences this Thursday?

A general election is a bit different to a constant search for grievance and referenda.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Need that Tory majority well-cemented to be able to destroy workers' rights after Brexit

That's not a joke or irony in any way - we're all utterly hosed. Expect a 60%+ tory scum presence in parliament forevermore

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

"The mess we inherited from the Labour government"

Can't wait to hear the classics again.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TheRat posted:

I suspect Corbyn's been too busy fending off blairites since taking office for long term election planning, so I suspect that today was bad for Corbyn

but then, I've not really followed ukpol in about 6 months - don't the tories have a supermajority already? what's the benefit of calling a snap election?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm giddy for some reason

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Theresa May posted:

In recent weeks Labour has threatened to vote against the deal we reach with the European Union.

The Liberal Democrats have said they want to grind the business of government to a standstill.

The Scottish National Party say they will vote against the legislation that formally repeals Britain’s membership of the European Union.

And unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Pissflaps posted:

Because you live in another country and are therefore insulated from the result of your support for Jeremy Corbyn and his loving of the Labour Party?

No, because I'm looking forward to coming back at some point, would love a Corbyn government and want to see what happens when his policies can't be hidden from the public eye anymore. I have family and friends in the UK and want only the best for them. That means a left-wing Labour government. Polls show that people like the policies. Let's see how it goes.

vv: This too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This election will be our chance to see how much the divisive Blairites harping on have damaged the Labour party.

It can only be seen as an opportunity to rebuild Labour as a true party of the Left.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

No, because I'm looking forward to coming back at some point, would love a Corbyn government and want to see what happens when his policies can't be hidden from the public eye anymore.

Jesus you're utterly delusional.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
The Tories will use Brexit as their main (and pretty much only) campaign issue. If Labour wants any sort of chance, it needs to avoid taking the bet. They should run on a platform of NHS, public infrastructure (trains etc) and exposing/getting more out of the rich & mega corps. They should bat off Brexit and make it a side issue by just saying they'll ofc go with the public vote.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The Greens have a public statement out earlier than Labour :ughh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what is Labor gonna campaign on? They can't really campaign on staying in the EU, but they could campaign on keeping free movement in exchange for market access since that's the one thing the EU won't compromise on. That would force the Tories to adopt the position of no access and it's something that can motivate people to turn up at the polls if they don't want Brexit.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

And so it begins
https://twitter.com/benfenton/status/854275278100713473

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

So what is Labor gonna campaign on? They can't really campaign on staying in the EU, but they could campaign on keeping free movement in exchange for market access since that's the one thing the EU won't compromise on. That would force the Tories to adopt the position of no access and it's something that can motivate people to turn up at the polls if they don't want Brexit.

To be fair to Labour, there will be other issues to campaign on rather than Brexit.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Demiurge4 posted:

If only Corbyn and Labour had been putting out policies for some weeks now, th... wait a minute.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kokoro Wish posted:

No, because I'm looking forward to coming back at some point, would love a Corbyn government and want to see what happens when his policies can't be hidden from the public eye anymore. I have family and friends in the UK and want only the best for them. That means a left-wing Labour government. Polls show that people like the policies. Let's see how it goes.

vv: This too.

He's going to get beaten senseless and then resign.

The tories are going to have absolute power and that will be his legacy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Same thing he's been campaigning on at the moment - a soft Brexit. That is the popular choice of the leaving-options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We are completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

A general election is a bit different to a constant search for grievance and referenda.

The entire thing is going to be about the EU referendum and maintaining England's spurious grievances with Europe.

• Locked thread