Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Jesus you're utterly delusional.

with Labour only 21% behind in the polls, it's all to play for

e: 76 - the age Jeremy Corbyn will be at the end of his second term as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Jesus you're utterly delusional.

Yeah this is actually a better chance to hide his policies as it makes it harder to organize televised debates etc. I'm voting Labour but this is the worst thing that could have happened.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ElNarez posted:

okay but what if this is the wake-up call and the Labour Right finally shuts the gently caress up and stands with Corbyn and the membership, if only for their own self-preservation?

hahahahahahahaha

No, that's not happening.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
My Irish passport can't come soon enough, even if it'll be worthless once the republic is annexed.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

tithin posted:

but then, I've not really followed ukpol in about 6 months - don't the tories have a supermajority already? what's the benefit of calling a snap election?

A near-guaranteed increased majority, and May gets to shake off the "unelected leader" tag.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Can we expect a response from Jeremy today or is it a day off?

Jokes aside, it's shocking he's said gently caress all so far. It's been over half an hour and they've not even managed to put out a statement. At least 1 Labour MP has been able to say they are not running for re-election (Tom Blenkinsop) in that time. It's very poor.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad the Tories found the money for this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Lol you can already see it. The CDF blaming the 'labour right' for the upcoming bloodbath. The narrative is set. It's always somebody else's fault.

I don't think Jeremy is going to resign this year. Labour is hosed.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

HJB posted:

A near-guaranteed increased majority, and May gets to shake off the "unelected leader" tag.

And neuter Parliamentary / Lords opposition to a hard Brexit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

with Labour only 21% behind in the polls, it's all to play for

I mean, at this point they can't do any worse than they are already. Corbyn might as well just go on live TV and call May a poo poo-eating donkeypiss var.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
No response yet from Labour. What a shower of loving incompetent fucktards. Lib dems and Greens have got a message out.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

i'm giddy for some reason

That's your trump thread behavioral reprogramming kicking in

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/854282618896044032

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can somebody explain to me, an idiot, what fixed term parliaments were supposed to be for?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

If only Corbyn and Labour had been putting out policies for some weeks now, th... wait a minute.

Well obviously they have other platforms, but Brexit is still going to be the overpowering issue crowding out all others in importance.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Jokes aside, it's shocking he's said gently caress all so far. It's been over half an hour and they've not even managed to put out a statement. At least 1 Labour MP has been able to say they are not running for re-election (Tom Blenkinsop) in that time. It's very poor.

At this point it doesn't really matter what he says.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Considering the running theme of the last lot of elections has been 'Unexpected results leading to hilarious disaster' I think omens are quite good for Jam man.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

he put out his response literally as you posted this

quote:

I welcome the Prime Minister’s decision to give the British people the chance to vote for a government that will put the interests of the majority first.

Labour will be offering the country an effective alternative to a government that has failed to rebuild the economy, delivered falling living standards and damaging cuts to our schools and NHS.

In the last couple of weeks, Labour has set out policies that offer a clear and credible choice for the country. We look forward to showing how Labour will stand up for the people of Britain.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

The Greens have a public statement out earlier than Labour :ughh:

Kez Dugdale has got a statement out before Labour HQ. It's bad.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

forkboy84 posted:

They're probably still deciding whether they should block the repeal of the FTPA. Don't want to make a decision like that in a hurry.

The Greens and Lib Dems have nothing to lose but everything to gain, so it's easy for them to poo poo out a statement.

Edit: Welp, looks like the game is on.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TheRat posted:

lol, good one!

I'm not even saying "admitting that neoliberalism has failed and will only lead to more failure", but basic survival instinct. Like, do enough to save your own skin so you can go back to re-litigating a leadership election you already lost twice.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

No response yet from Labour. What a shower of loving incompetent fucktards. Lib dems and Greens have got a message out.

Nice meltdown

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Demiurge4 posted:

So what is Labor gonna campaign on? They can't really campaign on staying in the EU, but they could campaign on keeping free movement in exchange for market access since that's the one thing the EU won't compromise on. That would force the Tories to adopt the position of no access and it's something that can motivate people to turn up at the polls if they don't want Brexit.

Yeah Labour will campaign on domestic issues (basically increased public spending/ending austerity) and access to the single market, with all that that entails (without necessarily saying freedom of movement out loud)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Thanks Ants posted:

Can somebody explain to me, an idiot, what fixed term parliaments were supposed to be for?

Confidence that the 2010 coalition government wouldn't fall early due to party politics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From the Graun:

quote:

The respected pollster John Curtice, professor of politics at the University of Strathclyde, claimed that May’s election gamble might not be as successful as hopes.

He said it was possible that her current opinion poll lead could narrow over the campaign.

Speaking on BBC News, Curtice said: “We should bear in mind that Theresa May is very much going for a ‘vote Conservative for my vision of Brexit’. And that perhaps is going to make some Conservative voters unhappy. If that lead were to narrow then we could discover that she is back with a rather smaller majority than perhaps she is hoping for.”

But Curtice added: “The Labour party is at sixes and sevens on its stance on Brexit. There divisions inside the Conservative party .. but the opposition is probably even more divided on the subject and she’s probably banking that so long as this remains the central issue, the Labour party will not be capable of fighting an effective alternative position.”

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As an American, I thought Jeremy Corbyn was supposed to be better than Ed Milliband. :confused:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Thanks Ants posted:

Holding the 2010-15 coalition government together.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

From the Graun:

the lib dems are going to make big gains most likely

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

tithin posted:

I suspect Corbyn's been too busy fending off blairites since taking office for long term election planning, so I suspect that today was bad for Corbyn

but then, I've not really followed ukpol in about 6 months - don't the tories have a supermajority already? what's the benefit of calling a snap election?

The tories have an incredibly small majority making it very difficult for them to actually pass anything. This means they'll probably improve their majority plus the house of lords has been blocking some of their Brexit stuff but they aren't allowed to block anything promised in a GE manifesto, so the conservatives can sail it all through parliament.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Jeremy is going to resign this year. Labour is hosed.

If he cared about the Labour party at all, he'd resign later today.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tony Blair will return soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol if we get a coalition

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

As an American, I thought Jeremy Corbyn was supposed to be better than Ed Milliband. :confused:

You thought wrong.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, but the average British voter (very closely approximated by Pissflaps) is even more terrible than the average American voter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

A crayon drawing on toilet paper to patch over a perceived hole in the last one-off coalition government, like every other part of the 'constitution' of this excuse for a country.

The time that sufficient numbers of people just start straight up ignoring Westminster and forming temporary autonomous communes can't come soon enough. I'm looking forward for another rate-capping rebellion.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jose posted:

Given that they seem to be the only party that openly says "nah, we'd rather not commit Seppuku on the world stage" it seems like that is a rather sensible stance.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

hakimashou posted:

He's going to get beaten senseless and then resign.

The tories are going to have absolute power and that will be his legacy.

I hope you're right but regardless this is a good call by May.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

lol if we get a coalition

lol if the lib dems actually do comeback and then throw away all the support they gained by propping up the Tories.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

The only hope then is that they take seats from the Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

ukle posted:

Weather is good so hes probably on his allotment so probably doesn't know yet.

Here you go:
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/854284198772920320

• Locked thread