Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/854157191053553666

phrasing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lowered safety is assured.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

I don't, but my curiosity is piqued.

Edit: found the article, :laffo: what the gently caress is this poo poo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/us/politics/justice-neil-gorsuch-supreme-court.html?_r=2

We've got a good 40 to 50 years of this to look forward to. Stealing Garland' s seat is something we will be dealing with for loving ever. "Show me where in the constitution it says the words Roe V Wade? Oh? I vote overturned"

Seriously even if the country manages to get majorities in both parts of Congress and the presidency at the same time everything will stay gridlocked and overturned like it has been the last decade or so. Obamacare was a trial run. Cases will get miraculously fast-tracked through suspiciously friendly lower courts for review over and over. Buckle the gently caress up, cause if you have kids they'll still be living through this.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Theresa May is calling a snap election in the UK, pretty smart thing to do at the moment as Labour are a loving joke and the Lib Dems keep themselves busy by sniffing their own irrelevant farts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Theresa May is calling a snap election in the UK, pretty smart thing to do at the moment as Labour are a loving joke and the Lib Dems keep themselves busy by sniffing their own irrelevant farts.

Pound was $1.25 when I landed here on Saturday. Hopefully this pushes the exchange rate down even further.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Bad news I'm afraid, pound is at £1.26 now and rising.

Economists tend to like strong Conservative majorities because they get rich (and gently caress the poor)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Today australia decided to cut skilled immigrant visas, apparently NZ and US are planning to do the same.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11840271

Did I miss Tom Waits chat here or was it another thread? (Wish there was one rather than Hall and Oats)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 18, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/17/politics/obama-snaps-photo-of-michelle-yacht/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Today australia decided to cut skilled immigrant visas, apparently NZ and US are planning to do the same.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11840271
I'm sure all those software engineers employed by Snap-On really appreciate it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the white collar jobs that people from other countries occupying ones that would otherwise be vacant because there aren't enough people qualified domestically to fill them?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the white collar jobs that people from other countries occupying ones that would otherwise be vacant because there aren't enough people qualified domestically to fill them?

This also applies to illegal immigrants working difficult jobs because there aren't enough people who aren't lazy qualified domestically to fill them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A Bad Poster posted:

Qualified to fill them at poverty wages, yes. There isn't a labor shortage that prompts silicon valley's H1B abuse.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Mr. Nice! posted:

Qualified to fill them at poverty wages, yes. There isn't a labor shortage that prompts silicon valley's H1B abuse.

It's not just silicon valley. All the lovely companies I've worked for around Chicago that need programmers but don't want to pay for them are using H1Bs as much as they can.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

If it came with making school more affordable and streamed towards needs it would make more sense.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Make it so if you hire a H1B order, for every year they're working for you you have to pay the college tuition of a student working toward those qualifications.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Keep it the way it is, so we constantly deprive the developing world of skilled technical brains

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's not just silicon valley. All the lovely companies I've worked for around Chicago that need programmers but don't want to pay for them are using H1Bs as much as they can.

Yup. Big financial companies abuse them and when they can't get them they start offshoring the work. I'm all for open borders and easy immigration, but H1Bs are bullshit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Technically, kinda. Companies can put out listings with unrealistically low pay, cite insufficient domestic talent, and apply for an H-1B. Or just pay more than some statutory rate that's way below market wages and not even be subject to that requirement.

There's still probably a shortage of domestic engineers in the US even under ideal labor practices, but H-1Bs are also being overused to depress wages.

On-demand elections combined with US politics would be amazing.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Donald Trump should run for office in the UK as well. Half the right wing rags over here thinks the sun shines out of his arsehole and I for one admire his aptitude with the ladies.

GBP to USD is up another cent to $1.27 to the pound. Makes a nice change from us junking our own currency.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd better withdrawal more cash from the ATM.

e: Investors are probably excited about the prospect of a new Parliament blocking Brexit.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 18, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You already have Farage. Most Libertarians were sucking up to Farage 4 years ago, and he's got the Trump and brexit connection so right wingers should vote that way.
I remember going to the UK 15 years ago. a bad rate was 39p/$au in the early 90s, a good rate was 45-49p/$au in the 2000s and that's during the resource/China boom, unlike now where everything is hosed down here. It's around 60p now and that's good for us so what are the conservatives and brexit doing for you if you wanted to keep us out.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Not a chance, in fact the whole point of the Conservatives calling this early election is so their Brexit plans can't get hosed about with by moderating elements and also to stop their own loopy backbenchers from causing Government back-downs because right now they have a tiny working majority. I don't think anyone is realistically predicting anything other than a much larger Conservative majority.

If you're in London then go to one of the proper Forex places, they tend to keep the exchange rate the same throughout the day, NEVER use British cashpoints for withdrawals, you'll get raped on the rate.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Not a chance, in fact the whole point of the Conservatives calling this early election is so their Brexit plans can't get hosed about with by moderating elements and also to stop their own loopy backbenchers from causing Government back-downs because right now they have a tiny working majority. I don't think anyone is realistically predicting anything other than a much larger Conservative majority.

If you're in London then go to one of the proper Forex places, they tend to keep the exchange rate the same throughout the day, NEVER use British cashpoints for withdrawals, you'll get raped on the rate.

I have a really bad hangover, I've got a shitload of maths to do and I've only just read the news. Pretty good move from the Tories, they'd have to try really hard to gently caress this one up. Now I've got several hours of shouting to do at my fellow left wing mates about why I've been telling them Corbyn was a total loving disaster since he got in.

I have been trying, but there's only so much swearing I can put into a paragraph at a time.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I like that Corbyn has come out and said that he wouldn't stand down if he lost the election.

I just want to see Diane Abbott leading the Labour party so things can really go nuts. Shes almost as prolific on twitter as Trump.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The H1-B opinions in here are pretty...:stare:

Like people are literally taking your jobs en masse

Not denying that there aren't businesses or sectors that blatantly game the system, but drat, y'all.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Prop Wash posted:

Keep it the way it is, so we constantly deprive the developing world of skilled technical brains

Except many of them go home. See how China's grad school system is rapidly evolving to look more like the US'.

Edit: Glad to see the dollar sinking against the pound. We all know it was getting too strong. :rolleye:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There isn't a labor shortage in America, there is a pay shortage.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not denying that there aren't businesses or sectors that blatantly game the system, but drat, y'all.

It needs to be reworked :shrug:. I have a friend who came over from Taiwan on an H1-B and would be pretty sad if he left, but Software Companies do tend to use it to deflate wages and that's not the purpose of the H1-B. They can find American workers for CS/IT/SE they just have the option of paying foreign workers to come here and pay them less. Just force companies to pay them a competitive wage rather than using the H1-B as a compensation carrot.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 18, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Nah the tech field at least has been filled to the brim with third tier Indian workers since the middle 2000s, H1B was great at first because you got the top performers, but now wages have depressed so low that the only H1Bs you see are working for well below the market rate, as well as being poor performers, locked into basically a slave wage setup for 10+ years while they wait out their citizenship period.

H1B does need to be reworked, it needs a minimum pay limit that is much more comparable to what a US worker would expect to make, in order to discourage companies from axing all their workers and replacing them with H1Bs at 30-40% below market rate. If they want to hire H1Bs that's fine, but they shouldn't get a profit incentive that powerful from it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

KildarX posted:

It needs to be reworked :shrug:. I have a friend who came over from Taiwan on an H1-B and would be pretty sad if he left, but Software Companies do tend to use it to deflate wages and that's not the purpose of the H1-B. They can find American workers for CS/IT/SE they just have the option of paying foreign workers to come here and pay them less.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing that there's abuse and institutional safeguards against the abuse wouldn't be bad, but have you looked at how it's getting reworked?

It's getting killed dead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing that there's abuse and institutional safeguards against the abuse wouldn't be bad, but have you looked at how it's getting reworked?

They're changing it from random lottery with no regard to aptitude in the field, to top tier talent have a better shot at getting visas approved via H1B? Wasn't attracting top tier talent the whole point of H1B?

I just hope that along with that revamp they boost the wages of H1Bs to at least market rate, to match with the skillset of the people who would ostensibly be getting the visas. There's no reason that a highly skilled foreign worker should be getting paid less to do a technical job than a US worker. Doing so just incentivizes the company shedding their workforce in favor of H1Bs, also gently caress capitalism.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Between the two options[killed dead or remain as is] I would rather it just get killed dead honestly and have workers come over on E-X visas [skilled workers who want to be citizens]. As citizens they'd have less incentive to take low ball offers.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I only brought it up because the door to au/nz may be closing on gippers that want to get away from trump or the nuclear fallout.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm no trump supporter but the H1B program has been royally hosed for a very long time and I wouldn't cry any tears to see it dragged behind the shed and get the ol' yeller treatment.

I know people who are in the country on H1B, and they are getting paid loving peanuts for their jobs, one guy was making <$16/hr as a network technician for HP in Atlanta, the market rate for networking guys is at least $23-25/hr there. He was making $10 less than market rate (that's 20k/year) for no reason other than HP paid for his visa application.

My main problem is not that people can get in via H1B, it's that companies can get away with paying people so loving little in a technical field to do work, which stagnates the wages and causes hundreds of job openings to go unfilled because the pay is comically low for the desired skillset.

E: for comparison, McDonalds pays 16 bucks an hour to flip burgers.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 18, 2017

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There isn't a labor shortage in America, there is a pay shortage.

Yup. It's pretty rough getting an actual median salary anywhere. There sure are a lot of low paying jobs that have the responsibilities tied to jobs that should be higher paying.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm just gonna start saying "source your quotes" unironically, I don't know anymore.

I mean, it's a dumb derail, but drat :stare:

Also, this font change, jesus gently caress.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm just gonna start saying "source your quotes" unironically, I don't know anymore.

I mean, it's a dumb derail, but drat :stare:

Also, this font change, jesus gently caress.

Its cool to disagree dude :)

Also, what font change?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Again, I'm not saying there isn't visa abuse by shitlords like Apple, Google or other silicon valley giants that use the mechanic to essentially have indentured labor while lobbying that there's somehow a shortage in skill in that sector.

But somehow the changes that gently caress the whole program to death are chill because of that? Good lord.

/edit:
Full disclaimer, I'm not preaching all this poo poo because I'm somehow still hoping to get an H1B visa, that ship has already sailed for me because of Trump, but let's maybe not murder the entirety of foreign recruitment because some tech giants have been gaming the system, huh?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Glad it's not me with this font change. Happened about 6 hrs ago (firefox)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This also completely went over my head, drat. Not that surprising, to be honest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-a7688396.html

• Locked thread