Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/854320943493255168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Party Boat posted:

He has no way of preventing it and looks like a complete coward if he tries. If his position is so weak that he cannot contest a general election, he is not fit to lead.

That's just idiocy, Labour could have Jesus Christ as their leader and regardless they're not turning around opinion in just 2 months. Giving in to this is letting Theresa May take your lunch money. Unless I'm misunderstanding the 2011 change Labour and the SNP are enough to block this stunt and they have nothing to lose by doing so. The next election is in 4 years, the electorate won't remember because they'll be too busy admiring the UK's economy burning in the case of a hard exit or calling for Theresa May's death if there is a soft exit.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
WTf are these people saying Labour should vote against a GE? Labour is the opposition party. It is their sole job to oppose the Government. If it is given the opportunity to do so at the polls, its only credible option is to take that opportunity.

They can't say WE THINK THE TORIES ARE DOING A TERRIBLE JOB WE WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE UK but not yet please we need more time to get ready, 4 yrs sound ok :)?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The conservatives have a very simple line if it goes that way (self no confidence): "We're only taking this approach due to the cowardice of the Labour party."

What's the line for Labour (who I feel I should remind you are the opposition) if they have to defend a decision to keep the current government in place?

edit: I'm not saying Corbyn should stand down now, for better or for worse he is the Labour leader going into this GE. However he is a bad leader and should be replaced at the first opportunity.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MP's are doing statements in the house at 3:30. The biggest uncertainty I'm hearing about it is which Labour back bencher is going to undermine Corbyn's position first.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Labour should pledge to wipe the student loan book and abolish fees.

Lets face it a 30k+ bribe for the under 30s could work.

minema
May 31, 2011
Sent an email off to Julie Hilling who was the last labour MP here and has been coordinating the Labour party - she seems pretty decent looking at her twitter which is nice.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/854296054912647168
https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/854330539955892225

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Labour is likely to lose the GE by crushing landslide regardless of what it does, so i would suggest at least some caution before advocating that it should taint your favourite policy with the loss.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/jonkay01/status/854300093142511621

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ewan posted:

WTf are these people saying Labour should vote against a GE? Labour is the opposition party. It is their sole job to oppose the Government. If it is given the opportunity to do so at the polls, its only credible option is to take that opportunity.

They can't say WE THINK THE TORIES ARE DOING A TERRIBLE JOB WE WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE UK but not yet please we need more time to get ready, 4 yrs sound ok :)?

Sometimes pragmatism isn't actually the worst option. When the choice is between a guaranteed increased Tory majority or carrying on with the Tories having a shaky majority, gently caress optics. The British electorate have no memory, as the potential Lib Dem fight back is showing. Committing electoral suicide and guaranteeing 5 more years instead of 3 of Tory government is a bad idea, gently caress optics.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I don't understand old people. The government takes away their pensions and yet they still want to vote blue so they can brag about how they are "comfortably off". Old people are the most likely to vote too, everyone needs to put their grandparents in solitary homes asap.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

forkboy84 posted:

Sometimes pragmatism isn't actually the worst option. When the choice is between a guaranteed increased Tory majority or carrying on with the Tories having a shaky majority, gently caress optics. The British electorate have no memory, as the potential Lib Dem fight back is showing. Committing electoral suicide and guaranteeing 5 more years instead of 3 of Tory government is a bad idea, gently caress optics.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/854320943493255168

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Manic X posted:

I don't understand old people. The government takes away their pensions and yet they still want to vote blue so they can brag about how they are "comfortably off". Old people are the most likely to vote too, everyone needs to put their grandparents in solitary homes asap.

I don't think they've had their pensions taken away though.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
As a Canuck, you could always hope for a surreal repeat of Alberta 2015.

Don't know how possible a crazy swing and hilarious outcome like that is though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Playstation 4 posted:

As a Canuck, you could always hope for a surreal repeat of Alberta 2015.

Don't know how possible a crazy swing and hilarious outcome like that is though.

Let's hope some of that 2016 magic rubs off!

*awakes on June 9th to fine Aaron Banks going to Buckingham palace at the head of a government*

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

This might be a useful argument if Labour could actually force the GE to not happen for 3 years. They can't.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Interesting that he's going hard on the public investment angle. It's exactly what's needed and a real difference from what the other parties are doing but I worry that the "Labour are bankrupting the country!" narrative will win out.

I mean I'm not going to vote Labour but that's because I live in a Labour/Green marginal

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So who do i vote for to prevent brexit? I'll be casting an absentee ballot in Hammersmith and Fulham.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

forkboy84 posted:

There is no realistic mechanism for Labour to block an early GE. One way or another, it's happening.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
At least there's a hosed up sense of amusement to be had at the people still somehow expecting the master's tools to disassemble the master's house.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Did the PM really use the phrase "smooth passage of Brexit"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Labour should have refused to back a general election until the CPS had made decisions on the battlebus spending. Just saying that could have tanked May's poll ratings.

TheRat posted:

This might be a useful argument if Labour could actually force the GE to not happen for 3 years. They can't.

"Theresa May doesn't have confidence in her government, so why should you?"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

"How are they selling workers short?"
"By not paying them enough."

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ive said this about 100 times now but they to start shouting very loudly 3 or 4 things like the following:

WE WILL NATIONALIZE THE loving RAILWAYS SO PEOPLE CAN ACTUALLY GET TO WORK AND YOUR MONEY ISNT SENT OFF TO FOREIGN SHAREHOLDERS!!!!!

WE WILL INCREASE THE TOP RATE OF TAX SO THE RICH CUNTS CONTRIBUTE TO THE SOCIETY THEY ENJOY AT YOUR EXPENSE!!!!!!

WE WILL INCREASE THE WAGES OF DOCTORS AND NURSES SO THEY CAN WORK THEIR 80 HOURS WEEKS WHILE THE RICH CUNTS GO GOLFING!!!!!!

e: wonder if there are any jobs going at labour doctor hq cos they seem poo poo at it.
Nah see thing is right this is the Labour party not the Taker party so nationalisation etc. cannot be the priority if you want to mobilise large amounts of voters. Otherwise you play into the Tory rhetoric about other people's money etc. etc.

Labour needs to come out and say they want to build something, using the Labour force. I don't care if it's a million houses for British workers or a fuckin weather machine so that Norfolk will always be sunny post-Brexit but it needs to be something that people can imagine seeing in five years and nodding in pride that they were a part of.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Vince Cable is standing in Twickenham.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did the PM really use the phrase "smooth passage of Brexit"

"These water cannons are merely antacids to the gastrointestinal distress that threatens the smooth passage of Brexit"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

looking forward to debating and discussing the real issues in the lead up to election 2k17 with all the UKMT gang
For instance, I think 'quisling' sounds like a racist term from Harry Potter but apparently it's an actual word‽

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
my guess is that there's probably some split in the Corbyn team but defying precedent takes the chair's veto, and Corbyn doesn't seem like the type to suddenly lean hard on poll-guided wisdom to overrule committee indecision

at some level he sympathises the romantic possibility that The People Will Speak Truth To Power

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Also, and I'm not making this up, May is claiming she made the decision this weekend while walking around sheep fields in Wales.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I've recently changed my voting address back to my Mum's for various reasons. She's also recently (ish) moved - just realised my local MP is now loving Gove.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

At least there's a hosed up sense of amusement to be had at the people still somehow expecting the master's tools to disassemble the master's house.
You can however bind the master's tools and wait for the house to collapse itself.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ewan posted:

I've recently changed my voting address back to my Mum's for various reasons. She's also recently (ish) moved - just realised my local MP is now loving Gove.

I misread this post the first time.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think they've had their pensions taken away though.

I should iterate those who are preparing to retire rather than those that are already there.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

I'm hoping he's not that stupid, but he's not very good at this.

Now, they just need another 5 election promises and a large stone tablet.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Skinty McEdger posted:

Also, and I'm not making this up, May is claiming she made the decision this weekend while walking around sheep fields in Wales.

This is playing into my suspicion that the Tories are just as fractured as Labour, but are just keeping a much tighter lid on things for the time being.

Of course it helps that they just threw their most vocal rebels the biggest bone in political history

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also counting down until May makes some kind of statement that boils down to "God told me to do it"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

wait is jbrereton actually not the Tory boy who ran in stoke?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbyn posted:

wait is jbrereton actually not the Tory boy who ran in stoke?
No that is some #MPizzagate poo poo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:agreed: Brenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can someone tell me why Theresa May is doing this? What do these snap elections hope to achieve? If Sinn Fein and the SNP gain more ground as a result of these snap elections, can we start to expect a referendum on both Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving the UK?

• Locked thread