Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

Aww maan, successful first aid doesn't get XP?

I forgot about that.

There are official rules for XP but since this is an RPG at heart I'm being liberal about those rules. You'll get specialized medic XP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So how do we spend that XP?

Does Snake count as a Hand to Hand trainer since that was one of his listed skills?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Phi230 posted:

I forgot about that.

There are official rules for XP but since this is an RPG at heart I'm being liberal about those rules. You'll get specialized medic XP though.

I'll take it, I don't mind rolling as squad medic

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Added Space posted:

Does Snake count as a Hand to Hand trainer since that was one of his listed skills?

I'll post the table

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do I get a leadership bonus based on how big a cigar I'm smoking or how fancy my hat is?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can I do anything to not be a turn behind everyone else?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cimbri posted:

Escaped from an institution you say?

Yes I'm going to keep beating the dead horse.

This really is just Peace Walker or Phantom Pain roleplay.

Also, is the AKM really a bit more accurate than an M16A2? It even has a shorter barrel! The AKs we got are probably Type 56s, the Chinese clone.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Random thought: would a soldier dressed in drag confuse the enemy enough to get a reaction bonus?

It depends: is the soldier carrying tequila?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Can I do anything to not be a turn behind everyone else?

Don't carry the M60

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Don't carry the M60

I mean realistic options.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Popete posted:

Spend less on candles.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

how much do your clothes weigh?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Added Space posted:

Here's how levelling works.

Everyone right now is at, essentially, level 3. Meaning everyone needs 16 XP to get to level 4.

Now, in specialized skills like Medic, Forward Observer, Marksman, Driving, Vehicle Gunner, Leadership, etc... everyone is level 0. Since Simpson McFish has gotten 5 Medical XP that catapults him up to being a Level 2 Medic as well as Level 3 Soldier.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You have my vote of confidence, Dr. McFish.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Too bad his bedside manner is so cold.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I prescribe whisky.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

simplefish posted:

I prescribe whisky.

You're already gettin' it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Games › Let's Play! › Phoenix Command: I'll Post the Table

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Looking over it, I'd like to request that Actuary change loadout to a knife, pistol, and light flexible armor and specialize in close quarters and hand-to-hand.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, the patient didn't die, so you're our medic now!

And since you'relikely to go Africa next, you're gonna be swimming in AKs.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHn1zogeyO4

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I would like to request Snake Doctor get some Leadership training/specialization.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Well I was going to spec leadership since I was a Squad leader last mission but instead I guess I will spec Marksmen since we already have a bunch of people going for leadership. Is that more about being a sniper or being a designated marksman?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm not sure if Phi is even using the Secondary Attributes I rolled for him, but if he is, I have an obvious suggestion for Squad Leader:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not sure if Phi is even using the Secondary Attributes I rolled for him, but if he is, I have an obvious suggestion for Squad Leader:

Of course I'm going to use your numbers! The best numbers, the biggest numbers.

At the moment I'm just homebrewing how training works with guidance from the kind of barebones learning rules!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

At the moment I'm just homebrewing how training works with guidance from the kind of barebones learning rules!

Try this:

Now, for the more fun stuff:

Phoenix Command 1.13
Phoenix Command One Thirteen is an MS Excel spreadsheet for making new weapons for PCCS. It's not very pretty, and gun data sheets will end up looking like this. It's really more for creating the data than it is for making cool Weapon Data Cards

Using Phoenix Command 1.13

Name: This you can figure out.
Type: Different types of weapons you can make. Most are fairly self-explanatory. A 'Machine Pistol' is very small, like a Beretta 93R, or an M951R, and maybe a Micro-Uzi. Everything else, like Mac 10s and Mini-Uzis, are SMGs. 'SMG (German Bias)' is for making MP5-family weapons, which are strangely better than all other SMGs in the game.
Unloaded Mass: This is the mass/weight of the weapon when unloaded. The left field is for kilograms, the right for pounds. Make sure only one field has data in it.
Length: The length of the weapon. Left is cm, right is inches.
Sight Radius: The distance between the front and right sights of the weapon's sights. If the weapon doesn't have iron sights, set this to 0.
Rate of Fire: The number of bullets that come out the front end, per minute. When a source gives a range of values for a given weapon, I always go with the biggest number because that's more fun.
Effective Range: This can be extremely hard to find, and we're talking about Effective Range, not "Effective Lethal Range" or "sight range" or whatever. It's the range at which the weapon can hit a standard NATO man-sized target 50% of the time. Enter that value in meters.
Action: If you can't figure out what this is by looking at it, you probably shouldn't be using this tool/I am too lazy to explain it.
Bolt: Does the weapon fire from a closed or open bolt?
Loading Type: How do you reload the weapon?
Loading Amount: How many rounds are in the internal magazine/detachable magazine?
Loading Weight: The weight, in kg (left)/pounds (right) of a single "unit" of ammunition. That's the weight of a fully loaded magazine for box magazines, the weight of a speedloader+bullets for a speedloader, the weight of a single round for weapons with internal magazines and no stripper clips, etc.
Iron Sights: Does this weapon have iron sights? Setting this to "no" has the same effect as setting Sight Radius to 0.
Scope Option 1/2: What type of scope does the weapon have, if any? Low-powered scopes use the "Scope (1.5x)" value, while scopes with magnification 3x or greater use the "Scope (3x)" value. "Advanced Aiming Systems" are a sci-fi thing.
Scope 1/2 Name: The name of the scope, or at least a description of it, like "Scope".
Stock: Can you use the weapon with or without a stock? This shouldn't affect pistols at all; if you want to make a pistol with a stock, make an SMG.
Grenade Launcher: Does the weapon have a grenade launcher mounted?
GL Name: What is the name of the grenade launcher?
Bipod/Tripod: Does the weapon have a bipod/tripod? Currently this doesn't actually do anything, since bipods/tripods are treated differently.
Bipod/Tripod Weight: The weight of the bipod, in kg (left)/pounds (right)

Ammunition
Name: Currently not in use, I should fix that sometime. Use it to keep track of what data you're entering, I guess?
Mass: Bullet mass, in grams.
Velocity: Muzzle velocity for this specific ammo fired from this specific gun.
Calibre: In millimetres.
Decay Factor: If you don't know what this is (you don't) leave it blank. If you're making 5.56 NATO-firing weapons, you could leave it as is I guess.

Keep in mind this thing is prototype as gently caress and will probably go through a dozen revisions before I'm happy with it!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, Grimace's leadership score is crap. Is there a more useful training I should undergo that won't risk my leg exploding while I do it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

Phoenix Command 1.13
Phoenix Command One Thirteen is an MS Excel spreadsheet for making new weapons for PCCS. It's not very pretty, and gun data sheets will end up looking like this. It's really more for creating the data than it is for making cool Weapon Data Cards

Keep in mind this thing is prototype as gently caress and will probably go through a dozen revisions before I'm happy with it!

That looks neat as hell! I think I'll give it a shot and see what comes of it. Most of the data is easy to find, but things like sight radius I'd probably need to take measuring tape to an actual example and I don't have every gun in the world.

What weapons would you say are the best to work on right now? We're going to Angola, right?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We need guns. Lots of guns.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Africa, eh? Would they still have G3s and FALs around there?

lovely Chicom AKs are guaranteed, tho.

I vote that the more emaciated members of the group get M4A1s.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Does it have a table for elephants? With guns?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yes there are rules for animals and mounted guns

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Rules for laser target designation?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Elephant gun... On an elephant!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

JcDent posted:

Africa, eh? Would they still have G3s and FALs around there?

lovely Chicom AKs are guaranteed, tho.

I vote that the more emaciated members of the group get M4A1s.

There'd be some, old Rhodie and Portuguese stocks and all of that, but the area would be flooded with AKs.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Seems like a lot of people want to get into the leadership business.

I propose that we decide leadership positions based on single combat to the death with close combat weapons. Maybe medic positions too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even my secondary stats are a bust. But I guess I'll make a good teacher one day?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Popete posted:

Even my secondary stats are a bust. But I guess I'll make a good teacher one day?

Those who can't Do, Manage. Those who can't Manage, Teach.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Those who can't Do, Manage. Those who can't Manage, Teach.

Those who can't teach, teach PT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

Rules for laser target designation?

You bet

Popete posted:

Maybe if you live long enough you can be sent to TRAINING COMMAND, if we buy one

Cathode Raymond posted:

Seems like a lot of people want to get into the leadership business.

I propose that we decide leadership positions based on single combat to the death with close combat weapons. Maybe medic positions too.

I am really down for us to determine squad leader rolls by non-lethal Thunderdome.

Like whomever gets knocked down first loses, and everyone wears heavy rigid armor and has a stick.

• Locked thread