Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I want to be interested in Persona 5, it looks cool as poo poo for a JRPG, but I think I'm just done with JRPGs as a genre. I'm having to drag myself through Nier:A despite enjoying the combat and story. I just can't put up with fetch quests and grinding and constrained exploration in static worlds anymore. Classic FF-style turn-based battle is not appealing at all (though I did really like how later FF 12 and 13 overhauled battle mechanics). I loved JRPGs as a kid and looking back I'm pretty sure I was putting up with all their trappings because they were the only genre of game that was capable of building a world and telling a sprawling story within it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Nier has sexy af waifus though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

All of the goon weebs on my PS4 friends list are balls deep in some Persona 5.

It's a JRPG/dating sim mix, right? And there's been 4 other JRPG/dating sim games previously?

The dating is minor and optional but yeah, it alternates between dungeons dives and hanging out with people around town for bonus abilities like a washed-out politican and that creepy kid who's probably gonna stab someone one day.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Persona 5 has big boobed girls or not? Its important.

Also the mc is a guy right? After HZD i need some toxic masculinity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You go to school each game day and then choose afternoon and evening activities with friends and then sometimes go dungeon diving and it takes a calendar year to get to the end

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yo guys maybe you can help me out with this hardware issue I've been having lately - my controllers don't connect particularly well to my console anymore. They're fine as long as they have line-of-sight, or are fairly close, but if like I put them on my lap and my leg is blocking the path to the console, the input is either extremely laggy (multiple seconds) or simply not responsive at all. It occurs with all my controllers so I'm assuming it's something to do with the console, but I'm not sure. It's nothing more than an annoyance at the moment, but one I'd like to address if possible.

It started occurring soon after I started using an external drive...though I can't imagine if that'd have anything to do with it. Also the PS4 is not exactly new - White Destiny PS4 - but I keep my consoles in good condition.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question whats the difference between yellow and blue light in the ds4.

When i first started it was blue light for playing and yellow for charging but now its yellow all the time?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's a JRPG/dating sim mix, right? And there's been 4 other JRPG/dating sim games previously?

That's all the console you'll ever need.

You can date but it's really a teenager simulator, you go to high school and decide how to spend your free time, different activities affect different stats and spending time with friends gives you abilities that affect the dungeon crawling and combat. There are a bunch of hand-designed storyline dungeons as well as randomly-generated ones. Combat is fairly standard turn-based JRPG stuff but it's all based around exploiting enemy weaknesses to end fights as quickly as possible and you can recruit monsters (the titular Personas), fuse them to create new ones, etc. It's incredibly stylish and charming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Early ds4s had a similar issue to the switch joycons with the bluetooth signal strength. Maybe your controllers antenna stopped working correctly? Trade it in towards a new one i guess

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Look up the fusion calculator though. You don't need it to play the game, but it makes one sidequest chain much easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How Persona 3, 4, and 5 work is this; You have one year in the game for X reason (it's just something mundane like your parents are overseas, so you're staying with a relative for this year in a new town). This year actually passes day-by-day with the time divided into periods (Morning, Afternoon, After School, Evening), with going to school generally blitzed right past to start your day at After School.

You can spend the After School period doing the current dungeon (which will also eat the Evening period, because you're exhausted), or you can go hang out with a party member or just someone around town you know (friends, fellow students, townsfolk, it's pretty varied). Doing so gives you a bit of insight into their lives, helping them with their own dramas as you hang out with them more. The reward, in turn, is an advance in the Arcana of the Tarot they represent. This gives you bonus XP when it comes back to fusing Personas (for other party members, they have one and level like typical JRPG characters. You hold Personas like pokemon as your Arcana is the Fool, ie; 0 or the Wild Card, and can hold many in you).

The Evening period is a second opportunity to hang out with other people who are free then (generally not your school/party mates), do part-time jobs, or even just go to the movies. All this feeds back by giving you stats in Social Skills (Guts, Knowledge, Kindness, Proficiency and Charm), which are pretty much used to gate some of your Confidants progression (you just can't find the right words to help someone without enough Charm/Kindness, or you can't work up to just talk to someone without the Guts for it).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm glad I'm almost done with P5 cause I'm real ready to dive into Horizon. I've played about 3 hours of it but needed a break from open world games in between Zelda and it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

acksplode posted:

I want to be interested in Persona 5, it looks cool as poo poo for a JRPG, but I think I'm just done with JRPGs as a genre. I'm having to drag myself through Nier:A despite enjoying the combat and story. I just can't put up with fetch quests and grinding and constrained exploration in static worlds anymore. Classic FF-style turn-based battle is not appealing at all (though I did really like how later FF 12 and 13 overhauled battle mechanics). I loved JRPGs as a kid and looking back I'm pretty sure I was putting up with all their trappings because they were the only genre of game that was capable of building a world and telling a sprawling story within it.

You should give it a shot. I thought the first few minutes or maybe hour were a little shaky but it got good quick and just keeps getting better. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of my all time favorite games.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Persona is like True Love then?

I hope for busty teacher then!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorGonzo posted:

Persona is like True Love then?

I hope for busty teacher then!

Your teacher is a prostitute cleaning lady by night and you call her over to do your laundry on fridays but she wont bang you

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MPLS to NOLA posted:

You should give it a shot. I thought the first few minutes or maybe hour were a little shaky but it got good quick and just keeps getting better. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of my all time favorite games.

It's definitely in my top 5 at least and I'm not even halfway through. I feel like it may even end up being #1

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Your teacher is a prostitute cleaning lady by night and you call her over to do your laundry on fridays but she wont bang you

Yeah except at max rank you can 'spend some time alone' with her, which in Persona land pretty much means you gently caress.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also note that it's literally a 100+ hour game so you get a lot of bang for your buck

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Also note that it's literally a 100+ hour game so you get a lot of bang for your buck

Hehehe.
Yeah you do.

I am a child.

No but seriously it's a drat good game, the best in the series thus far.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

Im sorry friend i wont read that. I actually want to play this game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Feeling the exact same way atm. I'm really having trouble dragging myself through Neir and Persona seems rad but I know I would just get super fatigued actually playing it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Persona 1 and both P2s were totally different games. Persona 3 introduced the modern formula.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are 9 dateable women in Persona 5. You can date them all at once if you wanted. Also that spoilered bit above is a hilarious surprise when you get to it so keep yourself spoiler free in general if you get into this game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How are the environments in Cosmic Star Heroine? Are they varied or do they overstay their welcome? And does the game hold up all the way through?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SettingSun posted:

There are 9 dateable women in Persona 5. You can date them all at once if you wanted. Also that spoilered bit above is a hilarious surprise when you get to it so keep yourself spoiler free in general if you get into this game.

Do not date more than one girl in Persona 5. You will be made to regret it, unlike P3 and P4.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do not date more than one girl in Persona 5. You will be made to regret it, unlike P3 and P4.

persona 4 made you regret it, but I suppose it might be in a different way since I haven't gotten that far in 5 yet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DoctorGonzo posted:

Persona 5 has big boobed girls or not? Its important.

Also the mc is a guy right? After HZD i need some toxic masculinity.

You actually fight sexual predators and take a strong line against sexual harassment. There are a pretty few gross homophobic stereotypes though!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You actually fight sexual predators and take a strong line against sexual harassment.

And get to dress up girls in revealing costumes for your personal enjoyment! You get to eat the cake and have it!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renoistic posted:

And get to dress up girls in revealing costumes for your personal enjoyment! You get to eat the cake and have it!

Im just waiting on the big boobed ladies but im sold.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DoctorGonzo posted:

Im just waiting on the big boobed ladies but im sold.

Gonna be the bow wow big dog eh

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You actually fight sexual predators and take a strong line against sexual harassment.

Unless your teenage character ends up dating his doctor or teacher.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exploded mummy posted:

Gonna be the bow wow big dog eh

More like the Austin Aries

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Don't forget the fortune telling waif and the reporter whom you meet up with at a Shinjuku bar, where more often than not she herself is hammered.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

If that's true it's actually worse than I thought. Like, the hypocrisy level would be off the charts.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 18, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I just finished The Ringed City and I left mostly enjoying it but feeling somewhat dissatisfied, as I had for much of Dark Souls 3. I didn't care for the first boss at all and probably would have skipped it if it was optional, like I ended up doing with the optional boss. The last boss however is really great and probably the most satisfying boss to fight in this game.

As a guy who primarily plays Souls games co-op, this DLC felt a lot better to play between bosses than the first one, but I don't know how I'd feel if I tried to solo through segments like the staircase with 2 gank squads of Harald knights.

Harald Knights are a 1 hit kill with a plunging attack. hth

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Renoistic posted:

If that's true it's actually worse than I thought. Like, the hypocrisy level would be off the charts.

Yeah it's pretty horrible. One of the teenage girls you save from rape ends up in a slutty cat fursona outfit for the rest of the game, and in the very next mission you pressure her to pose nude for someone so you can sneak into the building.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Speaking of Persona 5 and as someone who havent played the series. Its a good game?, for reference Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time.

What are your thoughts on the police? Think carefully because the answer is very important to if you'd like the game or not.

Renoistic posted:

Persona 5 has writing faults and some things aren't strong but that instance is not. It's weird but people get pedantic about some parts that aren't bad while other points are very valid. It, like a lot of Japanese media, uses homosexuality as a punchline. Very disappointing in a game about social reform, to be honest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah it's pretty horrible. One of the teenage girls you save from rape ends up in a slutty cat fursona outfit for the rest of the game, and in the very next mission you pressure her to pose nude for someone so you can sneak into the building.

She doesnt pose tho.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One thing one of my friends had a problem with Persona in general is that there are often long stretches of plot, and since you're a silent protagonist it's a lot of other people talking around you. That's where the game gets its visual novel vibe, is that there is a lot of talking and you as a character often aren't technically a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SettingSun posted:

One thing one of my friends had a problem with Persona in general is that there are often long stretches of plot, and since you're a silent protagonist it's a lot of other people talking around you. That's where the game gets its visual novel vibe, is that there is a lot of talking and you as a character often aren't technically a part of it.

so it doesnt have dialogue choices? thats bad