Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Both movies feature prominently a much older woman seducing a (pre?)teen boy, wtf was that about?

Again just want to say "...and that's how babies are made" from the first one was one of the biggest laughs of the season for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

There's like a lot more weed jokes now too or am i just forgetting old ones? I know it happened SOMETIMES before.

Having just gone through the old show, they were pretty abundantly prominent, especially during the Joel years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
laserblast is probably a 50/50 split of weed jokes and ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Both movies feature prominently a much older woman seducing a (pre?)teen boy, wtf was that about?

"Let's not think about how much creepier this would be if our genders were reversed!"

Sigh. At least we had Crabby.

At least the temptress in the first movie was actually some kind of hellish spider-creature; the second movie can't even fall back on that flimsy excuse.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bicyclops posted:

Having just gone through the old show, they were pretty abundantly prominent, especially during the Joel years.

Willing to accept I forgot lots of weed jokes.

Antiquated Pants posted:

Look familiar MIKE ?

Yeah, that sounds familiar. Good poo poo.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Joel era was a weed joke told in long form over a period of 100 episodes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

remusclaw posted:

The Joel era was a weed joke told in long form over a period of 100 episodes.

Mighty Jack has a bunch of them, for example.

Also he makes his own gravy!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/noise/bcpnews-the-new-mystery-science-theater-3000-is-a-bad-show-about-bad-movies-20170417-story.html

:qq:

edit: VV haha I almost called it "a review by Armond White"

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 18, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Armond White's really fallen on hard times to be writing for a local paper.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Crave's "Nine Things You Need To Know about the new season of MST3k"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
All the grievances listed by the article is kinda dumb. It just seems to hate the very things people ended up liking about this season (like Cry Wilderness, the Monster Rap) which I personally find charmingly kooky and emulates earlier stuff that Joel did in his era. It's the same level of offbeat humor and references except in 2017 which apparently makes it suck according to the article?

IDK man, I'm having fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are two types of fans I've written off

- The "I love MST3k but hate the new season" fan

-The "I love MST3k but refuse to watch the new season, as it might tarnish my love" fan.

Both are useless to this world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd totally be down for shorts being their own episodes.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Franchescanado posted:

-The "I love MST3k but refuse to watch the new season, as it might tarnish my love" fan.

E: Oops, someone else beat me to it.

First bad press I've seen: http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/noise/bcpnews-the-new-mystery-science-theater-3000-is-a-bad-show-about-bad-movies-20170417-story.html

TVGM fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 18, 2017

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I'd totally be down for shorts being their own episodes.

They could put them out in between full seasons to keep people interested. Throw them on YouTube to get new viewers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

The thing that particularly aggravates me on my Facebook are people who see it as some kind of cynical, Hollywood-ized nostalgia cash-in, sell-out, because it really just seems clear that Joel was upset that his jokey puppet show died and found a bunch of up-and-coming comedians who grew up with and loved it to death. Whatever flaws it might have in the tough balancing act between winking too much and winking too little, staying too faithful and reinventing the wheel, bringing in new, exciting talent and maintaining the cow town feel, everyone associated with it tried really hard, whether they were making cardboard cut-outs, playing a cover of the Canada song, or just mailing postcards to backers. At least that terribly wrong reviewer admitted it was a labor of love.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Bicyclops posted:

The thing that particularly aggravates me on my Facebook are people who see it as some kind of cynical, Hollywood-ized nostalgia cash-in, sell-out, because it really just seems clear that Joel was upset that his jokey puppet show died and found a bunch of up-and-coming comedians who grew up with and loved it to death. Whatever flaws it might have in the tough balancing act between winking too much and winking too little, staying too faithful and reinventing the wheel, bringing in new, exciting talent and maintaining the cow town feel, everyone associated with it tried really hard, whether they were making cardboard cut-outs, playing a cover of the Canada song, or just mailing postcards to backers. At least that terribly wrong reviewer admitted it was a labor of love.

I honestly can't think of anything I've seen lately that feels more earnest. Everyone is throwing their heart and soul into this, and you can just feel it. They just want to make you laugh, it's really sweet. :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Add "people who want Gypsy to be a big dumb dragon voiced by a dude" to my list of pet peeves too, I guess. One of the more common complaints everywhere seems to be some variation of "They've ruined Gypsy with the new 'sexy' voice!"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WOuld putting Gypsie in the theatre for a whole episode make it to crowded?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

WOuld putting Gypsie in the theatre for a whole episode make it to crowded?

Nah just have her tube run off to the left so she isn't blocking too much of the screen. Cinematic Titanic had a lot of people all around the screen and it never bothered me that much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
riding with death has a lot of weed jokes too, or at least talk about how mellow the 70's are

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bicyclops posted:

Add "people who want Gypsy to be a big dumb dragon voiced by a dude" to my list of pet peeves too, I guess. One of the more common complaints everywhere seems to be some variation of "They've ruined Gypsy with the new 'sexy' voice!"

It took me by surprise, but that went away quickly. And "now you're MISTER cabinet" was such a great and unexpected riff that it sold me on her.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Most of the modern cast openly (and legally) smoke weed, and have for various shows and podcasts. Baron and Jonah have both been on Getting Doug with High (but Jonah absolutely did not handle it well).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

boner confessor posted:

riding with death has a lot of weed jokes too, or at least talk about how mellow the 70's are

lucky fellow, he's about to find out I'm Ben Murphy

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Gypsy's new voice is perfect and fits her more than her previous strange dumb bovine voice

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

laserblast is probably a 50/50 split of weed jokes and ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL

All right thunderbucket get ready for your biggest challenge

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

boner confessor posted:

This Island Earth has a few too.

"Looks like the inside of a bong!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gypsy's new voice is perfect and fits her more than her previous strange dumb bovine voice

I feel like while Gypsy may have been a one-note character before, there's just nothing distinctive about her now. Getting two riffs a movie just isn't enough; maybe if she came in more often it would be better. I do like how the puppet redesign lets them hang bodies off the neck for playing dressing up.

Basically, new voice is fine, but Gypsy needs more to do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Question: Do you think ANYONE could have sold "IMPERIAL BATTLESHIP! HALT... THE PASSAGE OF TIME!"?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like while Gypsy may have been a one-note character before, there's just nothing distinctive about her now. Getting two riffs a movie just isn't enough; maybe if she came in more often it would be better. I do like how the puppet redesign lets them hang bodies off the neck for playing dressing up.

Basically, new voice is fine, but Gypsy needs more to do.

I mean, the satellite is tethered to the moonbase now, they could say this frees up more of her cycles for doing / saying more stuff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Starcrash was the wrong episode to introduce my girlfriend to MST3K with. I thought the Star Wars rip-off would lead to some good riffing, but the riffs are slower than the other episodes I watched. Maybe it's hard to mine humor from an already absurd sci-fi plot that has no grounding in reality? Anyway, she got more into trying to follow the plot of the movie than Jonah and the bots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jayne Mansfield is just distracting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I look forward to seeing more of her. I hope next season (fingers crossed) they give Synthia a little more to work with. It's eerie how much she looks like sci-fi era Pearl (lots of people thought it was her!) and I feel like someone with Rebecca Hanson's background could actually do a lot with that beyond "Initiating hug."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If they get renewed and the same cast all return, honestly, they should just rotate the bots for the movies. Maybe have a different pairing for each segment of the movies, or maybe let Gypsy and Crow do one episode, and then Gypsy and Servo, and then Tom and Crow and repeat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Question: Do you think ANYONE could have sold "IMPERIAL BATTLESHIP! HALT... THE PASSAGE OF TIME!"?

I think you'll find that the most famous line from Starcrash is "Imperial Battleship... Halt... the flow of time!" Nobody could sell "halt the passage of time", but "the flow of time"? Absolutely.

At a nerd convention over ten years ago I ran into someone with a t-shirt with that line on it. And I wished I had one...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It would be good to actually get a female voice in the theater. One of the things my wife hates about MST3K is the voice the guys put on when they're riffing a woman in the film in a way that mocks the decade's sensibilities about women, and it would help a lot just to have an actual woman do those ones. Plus Gypsy is less cumbersome now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So we're all in agreement that if they get another season:

Jonah created a clone of himself, made the clone wear the tattoo, then while the wedding was going on the original went for a spacewalk on the Satellite of Love with the suit he built

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Must say, after watching Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, I kind of like the Rifftrax version more. I think the pacing on the Rifftrax one is better, and more of the jokes land for me then don't. The MST3K version feels more like the riffs are cut and pasted next to each other, and don't have as much effect. For the five rapid fire jokes in a row you get with MST, you can get one good out of the Rifftrax. The one significant advantage the MST3K version has is the print is much much better (Rifftrax is a VHS copy and looks horrible), and you can watch it. The Rifftrax version got pulled (I think over rights?), so you can only watch this new version. But having said that, it's still a good episode. And the "sequel" is very much worth watching too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It would be good to actually get a female voice in the theater. One of the things my wife hates about MST3K is the voice the guys put on when they're riffing a woman in the film in a way that mocks the decade's sensibilities about women, and it would help a lot just to have an actual woman do those ones. Plus Gypsy is less cumbersome now.

To be fair, even Mary Jo and Bridget sort of do the Fargo voice when they do that on their videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BJPaskoff posted:

Starcrash was the wrong episode to introduce my girlfriend to MST3K with. I thought the Star Wars rip-off would lead to some good riffing, but the riffs are slower than the other episodes I watched. Maybe it's hard to mine humor from an already absurd sci-fi plot that has no grounding in reality? Anyway, she got more into trying to follow the plot of the movie than Jonah and the bots.

There's no wrong way to enjoy an MST3K episode. Except for that review a few posts back.

My only real complaint about the new series is that a good chunk of the intermediary skits feel VERY rushed. Ever done that improv thing where you do a scene, and then need to do it again in half the time so you're stepping on lines and falling over each other? They feel like that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 19, 2017