Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting is Closed.

Intel Dump Coming Soon.

I've got a backlog of stuff from Fiverr people that is overdue. I guess I can't expect much for $5 as far as speedy delivery goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

Voting is Closed.

Intel Dump Coming Soon.

I've got a backlog of stuff from Fiverr people that is overdue. I guess I can't expect much for $5 as far as speedy delivery goes.

You could always ask the goons in the voice acting thread if any of them are willing to lend their talents to the cause.

Also, since we're backing the Hoff, it's only right to have an appropriate soundtrack.

Edit: Also, could I be a pilot for one of future support planes? Callsign Pike.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 18, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

43 Votes for the Count, 16 for the Dictator, 5 for AngerPEACE, and a single vote for Reddit.

You'll notice a few new items. First, a list of airbases. We need to choose one. Each has certain benefits like range to the front, or proximity to a certain area. I'll let you guys decide. Also is the current Threat Level. This is how interested the Dictator is in our activities. If we run aid and shoot elephants, we don't generate much threat. But if we go full blown night raid and carpet bomb Huambe then it'll go up like crazy. This will dictate how many assets are sent our way.

Below that is our mission success (0) and Lithium Earnings. By helping ground troops secure lithium resources we up our own earnings. Right now they don't have poo poo. Taking lithium mines will up the Threat Level quickly.

That's Angola.

Lubango Airport

Menogue Airport

Ngjiva Pereira Airport

Neighboring countries are no fly zones. Though it doesn't mean we can't fly over them, but it could deteriorate relations or lead to sanctions if we're caught.

I'm working on a map of ground assets right now. But check Baloogans Wiki to see the Angolan Radar Assets.

Once we've decided on our airbase we'll hire an operative. Zack "The Animal" will be back, as well as two new operatives. One is someone you've met, the other is completely bat poo poo crazy.

We have a choice of missions. Each will vary in aggressiveness and goals. There's also an internal stability we need to watch for. If we don't help win this war quick(by chasing poo poo to enrich our own pockets) then our faction could fold.

So - Debate and Choose an Airfield! I'll get the ground forces map up soonish, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lubango looks like the only one with two runways, and it puts us in a nice position near the front to support a push up the coast. Depends on whether or not that jives with the Count's ground strategy, but it buys Namibe some breathing room, and securing some coastal cities would help restrict enemy supply lines into the interior while giving us more ports to ship the lithium out of probably wouldn't hurt.

Alternatively, Huambo looks like the nexus of the entire country's highway system, so taking that would be a major coup. Either way Lubango is in a good position.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 18, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I think our first target should be to knock down or capture the border radars so the Dictator is blinded.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Voting Menongue let's dive right into the heart of this poo poo.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I don't like the idea of Lubango being in the middle of a big town that seems to be in a bit of a depression when it comes to where we're going to site our ADA, but it's the only one that looks like it's got enough ramp space for all our aircraft.

Crazycryodude posted:

Lubango looks like the only one with two runways, and it puts us in a nice position near the front to support a push up the coast. Depends on whether or not that jives with the Count's ground strategy, but it buys Namibe some breathing room, and securing some coastal cities would help restrict enemy supply lines into the interior while giving us more ports to ship the lithium out of probably wouldn't hurt.

It's not a runway, it's a full-length taxiway. If we're desperate, we can probably use it as a runway though.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 18, 2017

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Crazycryodude posted:

Alternatively, Huambo looks like the nexus of the entire country's highway system, so taking that would be a major coup. Either way Lubango is in a good position.

I thought that was a taxiway, not another runway

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Yeesh, those airfields look kind of sparse. That said, Combat Aircraft at Lubango, Support (AWACS/Tankers/C-130s) at Ngjiva Pereira. This gives us good coverage and keeps the big slow stuff safe in the rear.

We could also put the small CAS (HAWK/SK-60/Frogfoot) at Menongue to harass/attack Eastern assets, but they should be perfectly fine at Lubango also.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I thought that was a taxiway, not another runway

Hmm, looking closer I think you're right. Although it's a very long taxiway and I know CMANO sometimes has taxiways that can be used as runways or something along those lines. It's another long, straight, level stretch of paved ground to use if we ever need it in some kind of emergency at the very least.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lubango

It has the best facilities including what looks like a possibly runway grade taxiway. It is close to the coast which is good for transiting planes without diplomatic complications and is a potential source for missions.

Also, it is close to the capital city, which might be important or it might be offset by being farther from missions to the east.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm wondering who this mystery operative might be...we've not exactly met a long list of people.

Maybe Wing Commander Rohan survived and has now gone into the private sector? Can't be Jimmy the Juggalo, since the other person was described as being totally crazy...unless that person makes Jimmy look sane in comparison. :stonk:

Saros posted:

I think our first target should be to knock down or capture the border radars so the Dictator is blinded.
That's probably going to boost our Threat Level quite a bit, though. Sounds like a job for the Florida Mengroundpounders, once they finish beating each other with sticks.

I suppose the major issue is going to be being so close to the border will mean if we get raided, we have less time to react and the bases could get overrun if things go bad on the ground.

Since I've heard certain folks touting the Gripen's being able to fly off improvised strips, we might want to look into being able to expand the facilities so we can operate more birds at once. If we can spare the cash, of course.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

Since I've heard certain folks touting the Gripen's being able to fly off improvised strips, we might want to look into being able to expand the facilities so we can operate more birds at once. If we can spare the cash, of course.

This would dovetail nicely with putting down roots in Angola like a few people have suggested, too. I'm sure the Count would love to have us hanging around after we singlehandedly save his revolution.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe Wing Commander Rohan survived and has now gone into the private sector? Can't be Jimmy the Juggalo, since the other person was described as being totally crazy...unless that person makes Jimmy look sane in comparison. :stonk:

I'd guess the one we met before is the CIA fella.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Coffeehitler posted:

Yeesh, those airfields look kind of sparse. That said, Combat Aircraft at Lubango, Support (AWACS/Tankers/C-130s) at Ngjiva Pereira. This gives us good coverage and keeps the big slow stuff safe in the rear.

We could also put the small CAS (HAWK/SK-60/Frogfoot) at Menongue to harass/attack Eastern assets, but they should be perfectly fine at Lubango also.

Good thinking. A vote for Plan Coffeehitler.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm wondering who this mystery operative might be...we've not exactly met a long list of people.

There are some questions which are not meant to be answered, and you've just given Yooper a drat good reason to throw "who's crazier than Jimmy" at us.

I approve, for what it's worth :holy:

Crazycryodude posted:

This would dovetail nicely with putting down roots in Angola like a few people have suggested, too. I'm sure the Count would love to have us hanging around after we singlehandedly save his revolution.

We should probably consider keeping good relations with India for that reason, honestly. We did kind of enable them to win that "war", whether they like it or not, and having a good friend who also is on very bad terms with the Chinese would be prudent.

Not to mention the whole growing potential superpower thing that we might want to ride the coattails of for a while til we have built a long-term rep and financial base.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For those suggesting that our ground forces just take out the radar stations for us, keep in mind that this isn't the remote mountains of Tibet. There are going to be actual forces in the area and probably some heavily armed locals to boot. Our ground forces have no armor, basic assault rifles, and two mags of ammo a piece. We have no comms equipment, no recon equipment, 12 men, and a stolen Geo Metro as our dedicated transport. Delta Force we are not. Plus we don't even get paid for the jobs we do for you guys. you made hundreds of millions of dollars off the strike we assisted in, and our payment was "whatever we could steal from the radar station before reinforcements show up*. That's where we got our Metro! We also got $10k from the Chinese for ransoming an officer.

I'm all for helping our brothers in the sky, but keep in mind your ground forces are not operating on the same scale or economy as you guys are.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Crazycryodude posted:

Hell, training the Angolans would give our many, many surplus pilots something to do instead of waiting for their colleagues to diethe company to buy new planes.

Edit:

Zaodai posted:

For those suggesting that our ground forces just take out the radar stations for us, keep in mind that this isn't the remote mountains of Tibet. There are going to be actual forces in the area and probably some heavily armed locals to boot. Our ground forces have no armor, basic assault rifles, and two mags of ammo a piece. We have no comms equipment, no recon equipment, 12 men, and a stolen Geo Metro as our dedicated transport. Delta Force we are not. Plus we don't even get paid for the jobs we do for you guys. you made hundreds of millions of dollars off the strike we assisted in, and our payment was "whatever we could steal from the radar station before reinforcements show up*. That's where we got our Metro! We also got $10k from the Chinese for ransoming an officer.

I'm all for helping our brothers in the sky, but keep in mind your ground forces are not operating on the same scale or economy as you guys are.

Well, if you're done with the stick-beatings, you could always tag along with the Count's ground-pounders. If we play our cards right and start rolling in the Lithium, you'll be able to probably piggyback on their getting new toys too. Plus stealing from the vanquished foe is in the finest mercenary traditions.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 18, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hell, training the Angolans would give our many, many surplus pilots something to do instead of waiting for their colleagues to diethe company to buy new planes.

Or they could embed with either local or our troops for Forward Observer duty to call CAS or other strike missions.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit:

Well, if you're done with the stick-beatings, you could always tag along with the Count's ground-pounders. If we play our cards right and start rolling in the Lithium, you'll be able to probably piggyback on their getting new toys too. Plus stealing from the vanquished foe is in the finest mercenary traditions.

Or we could just come and steal some planes from you guys and sell them on the black market. You'd never see it coming and it would sell for significantly more than the trash we loot. We just found out what our captured comms techs are using as our Base communications. A single PC running Windows 98. :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Yeah we haven't even finished crippling each other with 2x4's to determine who the top Boss Nob is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Coffeehitler posted:

Or they could embed with either local or our troops for Forward Observer duty to call CAS or other strike missions.

This is also true.

We really need to get coordinated with the local forces ASAP. I mean, we can definitely do a lot, but they're going to be the ones taking and holding the ground. I like the suggestion that i think Barracuda put forward of setting up an Observer Corps of dudes with binos and satellite phones to help cover the gaps in our radar net.

I think we want to try and keep a close eye on how things develop on the Free State front if we can. If either of us get too successful too quickly, the Dictator might be willing to reach a compromise with them (which, after all, is what the Free State wants) so he can then turn around and smash us in a Luderndorff offensive-type attack. We want that fight to be as long and drawn out as possible. Not sure if we'd have any realy option to somehow effect that front, but we need to keep that in mind.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Coffeehitler posted:

The issue with doing this is we'd have to split our already mediocre air defense assets in half to cover two airbases (see my previous ramblings on why relying on intercepts isn't a great idea).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Grand Theft Angola

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is something hilarious about how our air force's pocket change could buy the ground guys everything they ever wanted if they could just have a few crumbs of it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's probably going to boost our Threat Level quite a bit, though. Sounds like a job for the Florida Mengroundpounders, once they finish beating each other with sticks.

I suppose the major issue is going to be being so close to the border will mean if we get raided, we have less time to react and the bases could get overrun if things go bad on the ground.

Radar wasn't mentioned as specific things that would really boost threat so hopefully its not too bad. Plus this sort of strike is exactly what Tornadoes are built for.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

The issue with doing this is we'd have to split our already mediocre air defense assets in half to cover two airbases (see my previous ramblings on why relying on intercepts isn't a great idea).

The other problem is that we only get a choice of one airfield.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saros posted:

Radar wasn't mentioned as specific things that would really boost threat so hopefully its not too bad. Plus this sort of strike is exactly what Tornadoes are built for.

Yeah, but come on. If the merc air force your opponent hired started blowing up your radar stations, you'd not just sit on your rear end and let them do it.

I mean, it's almost 100% the right call, but we need to be aware it's going to provoke a response. Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think we want to try and keep a close eye on how things develop on the Free State front if we can. If either of us get too successful too quickly, the Dictator might be willing to reach a compromise with them (which, after all, is what the Free State wants) so he can then turn around and smash us in a Luderndorff offensive-type attack. We want that fight to be as long and drawn out as possible. Not sure if we'd have any realy option to somehow effect that front, but we need to keep that in mind.

While a good point, we also have to keep in mind what Yooper said about internal stability - if we dilly-dally then the good Count's forces could implode. We need to act with speed without falling victim to haste.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clearly our opening move is to find out where El Presidente is and air drop our completely unprepared and no jump training troops in to try and capture or kill him before he knows we're there.

What could go wrong?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Western Angola is the only part that matters.

I don't think it's a great idea to try and defend more than one airfield, so I vote we put everything in Lubago.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Clearly our opening move is to find out where El Presidente is and air drop our completely unprepared and no jump training troops in to try and capture or kill him before he knows we're there.

What could go wrong?

That sounds dangerously logical (if a very wonky kind of logical). Rather, after finding El Presidente all of our mercs should pile into their Geo Metro (somehow) and perform the world's most inept drive by shooting. More guns means more chances to hit, and more bodies means more chances at least one of them will make it back alive! :downs:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The best part is, a bunch of heavily armed guys driving around in a lovely car from the mid 90s wouldn't be out of place in Angola.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soup Inspector posted:

While a good point, we also have to keep in mind what Yooper said about internal stability - if we dilly-dally then the good Count's forces could implode. We need to act with speed without falling victim to haste.

True, true. But we need to keep an eye on that front.

I wonder if there might be any way to arrange an invasion attack on that exclave? I mean, its not like the redditors or whoever would be able to easily reinforce it, and it'd be nice to have the extra airfield.

Then again, it's not really any military value unless we wanted to loop around and start hitting from the North, which would be more trouble than it's worth. And logistics would be a nightmare.

It's a pipe dream, really.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Voting Lubango, and we should split our opening missions between taking out the two radar installations to the north and supporting friendly ground forces.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MFC6Y34Tc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm gonna throw my weight behind Lubango.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm gonna throw my weight behind Lubango.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Let's Dance with the Angels from Lubango

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm also liking Lubango. It looks like it has the most ramp space, and it's close to the front. Also maybe that full-length taxiway might be usable by our Gripens - after all, they were built to take off garbage runways and roads after the Soviets knocked out the main Swedish airbases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

:vince:
:perfect:

The quality of this LP is great. Bravo Yooper!