Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I want hard mode not annoying mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's interesting how little the Great Plateau changed. Looks like they designed that area as their trial "open world" before doing the rest.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I get off my horse in a thunder storm to do a korok puzzle and while I'm off my horse lighting just randomly strikes where it's standing. That's mean, game!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Shouldn't feed your horse metal swords.

Wooden ones are fine though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heran Bago posted:

Cleaned up a little bit. I'll stop posting these now I swear.

Interesting that Hateno appears to have migrated from directly behind the fort to way off in the east where it is now (assuming that blob of orange isn't just a compression artifact). I did think it was a little weird to have the fort that was ostensibly defending the town so far away from where the town actually was when I first hit that area.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Interesting that Hateno appears to have migrated from directly behind the fort to way off in the east where it is now (assuming that blob of orange isn't just a compression artifact). I did think it was a little weird to have the fort that was ostensibly defending the town so far away from where the town actually was when I first hit that area.

I would assume that the blob is Kakariko since it's absent from the map, the Hateno area looks the same.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah looks like Kakariko got moved west at some point.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Lanayru Promenade is also non-existent in the early builds. Zora domain underwent some changes as to where to put the reservoirs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heran Bago posted:

Cleaned up a little bit. I'll stop posting these now I swear.

Interesting that the east-southeast part of the map seems to have had the most details filled in at that point in development. That's also where I'd say the map's design is at its best in the final game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK I have a new favorite Shrine. It's the Gee Hah'Rah Shrine in Hebra Mountains' Kopeeki Drifts both for the method of reaching the Shrine, and the puzzles therein.

Top quality Shrine. Really made me feel clever for getting to it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some guy 100%'d the game in 49 hours (he took a nap).

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/04/18/first-speedrunner-to-100-complete-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-in-just-49-hours/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Including all 900 Korok seeds. :stonk:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's going to be really neat seeing the speedrun community finally solve the travelling salesman problem to optimise BoTW runs.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

It's disgusting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mega64 posted:

And all gear and compendium. Jesus that's insane. I wonder if he mapped out the play through around the optimal path to get all seeds or focused on the game first then went on a seed catching spree. The videos aren't loading so I can't tell.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Compendium is easy, you just pay the man and he'll fill up your photos.

Korok routing takes work, but one blessing is that since this isn't the kind of game that really has equipment requirements for puzzles, you can work tons of them into the rest of your route around the world.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is the saddest poo poo.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

yamdankee posted:

One of the things pointed to most as a disappointment is the lack of true dungeons. But maybe it's a matter of perspective? Perhaps the developers, in their clear and solid attempt at creating a more open world without being tied down as much, wanted the "dungeon" experience to be more open ended as well. Perhaps you could view everything Zora as the dungeon. The block of time spent from the moment you first meet your new fish boyfriend, inside Vah Ruta, and all the side quests inherent to the village could be viewed as a distinct separation from your free roaming blasting Hinox's, collecting treasure, riding horses, etc - right?

I know in my mind it was a complete switching of priority when I finally decided to put off exploring the map for a while and dive into knocking down another 25% of the Divine Beasts quest. So maybe the "lack of true dungeons" could be something celebrated instead of criticized because it's a manifestation of a greater endeavor to keep the player's options open and not getting tied down to particular area/quest/room for a significant period of time - which seems to be a widely accepted and enjoyed facet of this game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the forest temple of OoT and the dungeon specific things as much as everyone else. In fact I do kind of wish these hugely important tools like Stasis and Cryosis were acquired through more of a difficult struggle in a more fleshed out Divine Beast. But, again, I guess my point is that I appreciate the devs trying something new and seeing if people like engaging a whole community and solving their problems, rather than just diving into a forest temple for 2 hours and only talking to one or two characters to get there.

50 bucks says they wanted to embrace the Switch's partial role as a portable console so the dungeon experience was broken up into bite size puzzles as shrines that you could hypothetically do on the go, with only 4 proper "dungeons" as the beasts

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

50 bucks says they wanted to embrace the Switch's partial role as a portable console so the dungeon experience was broken up into bite size puzzles as shrines that you could hypothetically do on the go, with only 4 proper "dungeons" as the beasts

$100 says they made that design decision before the Switch was a twinkle in Kimishimi's eye.

Some people say BotW doesn't have any dungeons, but my perspective is that it has one gigantic sprawling Kyoto-sized dungeon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Hard mode needs to add Miiverse so I can see hilarious posts and memes all over Hyrule.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

(he took a nap)
Pitiful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think Hard Mode should be hard.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hard mode: link has one leg, and must hop around everywhere. Motion controls are in for both joycons, requiring you to use those to block attacks, parry, or attack. Charge attacks will be activated by holding both joycons above your head, and then swinging them downwards as hard as you can. Two-handed weapons require you to hold both joycons in front of you, swinging both of them in the correct motions. To throw weapons, flick the right joycon. Be sure you're wearing the wrist strap! Recovering after being knocked down takes a second longer, and you take extra damage while knocked down. to eat food you must eat it as you would in the sandwich eating minigame from 1, 2, Switch. To draw your bow, hold the left joycon at arms length in front of you, and thrust the right joycon towards your left hand to correlate with how far you want the arrow to fly. Not only will a blood moon reset the world, but it will also automatically refund the spirit orbs you've spent, so that every blood moon is like a fresh start.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
THIS

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Don't be silly. Hard mode will have you control Link's arms and legs independently, like KLOP.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MustelaFuro posted:

Don't be silly. Hard mode will have you control Link's arms and legs independently, like KLOP.

leg*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just basically octodad in the Zelda world

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I miss miiverse
Any game that incorporated miiverse drawings only benefited from it
I think
I hope I can't recall very well
Miiverse was super well moderated right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Calaveron posted:

I miss miiverse
Any game that incorporated miiverse drawings only benefited from it
I think
I hope I can't recall very well
Miiverse was super well moderated right?

I want to leave virtual graffiti in other people's Hyrule

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Well I finally beat it, the castle was cool and the final boss fight was ok I guess.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 19, 2017

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I've read in this thread several times that there's a specific location with really good horses statwise and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Does anyone remember that? I think it was three horses with varying but all really solid stats.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

redcheval posted:

I've read in this thread several times that there's a specific location with really good horses statwise and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Does anyone remember that? I think it was three horses with varying but all really solid stats.

Lindor's Brow.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

redcheval posted:

The best horses spawn in the area with the Big Horse. This was also later confirmed by the map with object locations as it showed it being the highest stats there.

If you haven't found the big horse quest... go south and west of lake hylia. It's near the Faron Grasslands

also yeah I guess slightly north of Lindor's Blow near the canyon leading to the Forgotten Temple has another spawn point according to that map.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 19, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spergatory posted:

Lindor's Brow.

This is correct. There's two high stat variations. One with 5 speed and 3 stamina and one with 5 stamina and 4 speed/strength.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
That area is really beautiful with the horses and the cliffs and valleys. Baobab trees are hella neat too.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So after 120 Shrines (again) and all inventory space upgrades, I decided it was time to face Ganon for the second-- and, for now, final-- time.

This time, I wanted it to be... poetic. So I reforged all the Champion Weapons and put them in my inventory, but I didn't use them. Nor did I use any of the Champion Abilities. Not at first. No, for the Castle proper, I used all my Guardian farming to max out my Ancient Gear and buy a full supply of Ancient Weapons, and went into Hyrule Castle as some kind of terrifying automaton killing machine. Not a single turret or Guardian Flyer was left in one piece. Shiekah technology tore itself apart that day, so that evil could use it no more. For Calamity Ganon's first phase, I fought him with the Master Sword and Hylian Shield, as every good Link should. But when he went into his second phase, I went into mine. He put his shield up, and I turned on all four Champion Abilities, traded the Hylian Shield for the Daybreaker, and the Master Sword for the Champion Weapons. This time, my friends and I were going to beat up Ganon together. So the Daybreaker bounced Ganon's laser back at him, and the Great Eagle Bow followed it up with a volley of Ancient Arrows. When he crawled up the walls, Urbosa's Fury knocked him down and the Scimitar of the Seven greeted him at the bottom. When he swung at me, his might broke against Daruk's Protection, shortly before the Boulder Breaker broke against his face. I... well, okay, so the part where I struck him a few times with each weapon and then just loving threw them at his face so they would break, that wasn't exactly poetic. But he didn't have that much health left, and I thought it was important that everyone got their turn. :colbert: Fittingly, I struck the final blow by jamming the Lightscale Trident into Ganon's forehead. I thought it kind of a shame that Mipha and Revali's champion abilities didn't get to see any action, but then, the fight wasn't over.

Things against Dark Beast Ganon went smoothly, until the very end of the fight. Trying to get myself into a good position to hit the glowing weak point on his underside, I accidentally steered myself into the path of a beam that all the lashing of my 5-speed horse couldn't get me out of. Fortunately, Mipha was there to patch up my wounds one last time. Sadly, she couldn't do the same for my horse. So when the final weakpoint made its appearance on his forehead, there was really only one thing left to do. Revali's Gale carried me into the sky, and the Bow of Light delivered the final blow.

Tomorrow, I pass the Wii U, and this game with it, along to my little brother to enjoy. I've had my time with it. I'll be writing up a post with my final thoughts pretty soon, but the long and short of it is; I have never gotten lost in a game the way I've gotten lost in this one. Me giving it to my little bro is one part altruism, one part self-defense. I know myself. If I kept this game, I would keep devouring it until there was nothing left, and this just isn't a game you were meant to do that with. I want there to still be things to discover when Hard Mode comes around. I want to leave a chance, if only a small one, to get lost again.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

So after 120 Shrines (again) and all inventory space upgrades, I decided it was time to face Ganon for the second-- and, for now, final-- time.

This time, I wanted it to be... poetic. So I reforged all the Champion Weapons and put them in my inventory, but I didn't use them. Nor did I use any of the Champion Abilities. Not at first. No, for the Castle proper, I used all my Guardian farming to max out my Ancient Gear and buy a full supply of Ancient Weapons, and went into Hyrule Castle as some kind of terrifying automaton killing machine. Not a single turret or Guardian Flyer was left in one piece. Shiekah technology tore itself apart that day, so that evil could use it no more. For Calamity Ganon's first phase, I fought him with the Master Sword and Hylian Shield, as every good Link should. But when he went into his second phase, I went into mine. He put his shield up, and I turned on all four Champion Abilities, traded the Hylian Shield for the Daybreaker, and the Master Sword for the Champion Weapons. This time, my friends and I were going to beat up Ganon together. So the Daybreaker bounced Ganon's laser back at him, and the Great Eagle Bow followed it up with a volley of Ancient Arrows. When he crawled up the walls, Urbosa's Fury knocked him down and the Scimitar of the Seven greeted him at the bottom. When he swung at me, his might broke against Daruk's Protection, shortly before the Boulder Breaker broke against his face. I... well, okay, so the part where I struck him a few times with each weapon and then just loving threw them at his face so they would break, that wasn't exactly poetic. But he didn't have that much health left, and I thought it was important that everyone got their turn. :colbert: Fittingly, I struck the final blow by jamming the Lightscale Trident into Ganon's forehead. I thought it kind of a shame that Mipha and Revali's champion abilities didn't get to see any action, but then, the fight wasn't over.

Things against Dark Beast Ganon went smoothly, until the very end of the fight. Trying to get myself into a good position to hit the glowing weak point on his underside, I accidentally steered myself into the path of a beam that all the lashing of my 5-speed horse couldn't get me out of. Fortunately, Mipha was there to patch up my wounds one last time. Sadly, she couldn't do the same for my horse. So when the final weakpoint made its appearance on his forehead, there was really only one thing left to do. Revali's Gale carried me into the sky, and the Bow of Light delivered the final blow.

Tomorrow, I pass the Wii U, and this game with it, along to my little brother to enjoy. I've had my time with it. I'll be writing up a post with my final thoughts pretty soon, but the long and short of it is; I have never gotten lost in a game the way I've gotten lost in this one. Me giving it to my little bro is one part altruism, one part self-defense. I know myself. If I kept this game, I would keep devouring it until there was nothing left, and this just isn't a game you were meant to do that with. I want there to still be things to discover when Hard Mode comes around. I want to leave a chance, if only a small one, to get lost again.

I like spagety

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Polo-Rican posted:

since we're listing stuff we'd love to see in the game, here's some more

• ability to leave your selfies in the game world for other players to find

That sounds great, and you'd have to find that location yourself to receive some reward. Actually, just having some kind of hunt system would be awesome. How about the ability to bury an item of yours somewhere in the world, and then posting a riddle that shows up on one of the town bulletin boards?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I feel like this game has spoiled me big time. I finished it a few days ago and have moved onto Horizon: ZD and well... it's OK so far, but i keep trying to explore and do cool poo poo and the game is like NOPE. Plus Zelda just looks so drat good and in this I feel like I can't really get good views of the environment a lot of the time because camera kind of sucks and its mostly weird dark and poo poo. And rain looks like rear end in that. I should probably turn off the waypoint indicators but I almost feel like I need them at the same time. Whereas in Zelda I really didn't need poo poo because I never got lost as it felt intuitive to get from Point A->B, easy to remember your bearing and could easily pick out landmarks or climb whatever to get to where I need to go to reorient.

Also contour maps are good and cool and was a good decision. Really such a well-designed game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Is there anything special for finishing all of Hateno's side quests? I though there was something like Kakariko but Google is letting me down.