Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I apologize, he was referring to the MakerBot brand when he told me that. I was just confused. Realigning the bed would be no problem, although the self aligning beds seem nice.

Also shout out to yooper, when I've got a +\-.0002 turn with a 4μ finish called you guys are our saviors!

And here I am playing with getting my bed leveled to +/- 0.002".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

Worth noting that the Monoprice printers are rebadges of the Wanhao Duplicator series

Not all of them, but either way you get them for less money and with a better warranty/support/replacement system since they're sold by Monoprice.

A full one-year replacement warranty if something goes horribly wrong is tough to beat.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I just pulled the trigger on a Monoprice Maker Select Plus, thanks for the information boys. I'll report back after I gently caress it all up on Thursday!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a Monoprice Maker Select Plus, thanks for the information boys. I'll report back after I gently caress it all up on Thursday!

It's basically the same as the Wanhao of the same name, here is a review to watch while you wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEApsA7pAk

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea keep us posted as that is the one I have my eye on as well.

Someday, not now as I don't have a place to put it nor the $ I want to throw at this hobby yet, but someday.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's basically the same as the Wanhao of the same name, here is a review to watch while you wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEApsA7pAk

You'd think they'd have the Z-brace mod on them. It's amazing how much it improves print quality.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

You'd think they'd have the Z-brace mod on them. It's amazing how much it improves print quality.

I'm pretty concerned about Z-wobble on the mk2 clone that I'm very slowly building. Tom's z-wobble is awful but he used vinyl tubing as the couplers. My M5 rods are definitely not straight either but I haven't cut them down yet.

e: Oh, that z-brace is much different than what I was expecting. Was thinking bearing at the top of the Z axis like p3steel toolson edition

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 18, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Luminaflare posted:

Eh. It's much simpler to just clamp the frame to the table you have the printer on.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Eh. It's much simpler to just clamp the frame to the table you have the printer on.

...How? The wobble is in the vertical part of the gantry.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Luminaflare posted:

...How? The wobble is in the vertical part of the gantry.

If the surface is flat and you clamp in the right place, the Y-axis frame will pin the base of the Vertical gantry to the table. I thought someone posted pictures in this thread doing the same thing but that may have been the Facebook group.

It is a bit tricky, and I used some tiny c-clamps on each side to do it, but it does work. Any wobble that overpowers that setup means you're running too fast, because that powder-coated steel angle is pretty rigid when it's pinned down.

The Z-brace is nice if you plan on moving the printer a lot, but if not, just lock it down so it can't move on the table.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 18, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Frame and smooth rods for prusa mk2 clone showed up the same day!! H*ck yeah!!

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Just to chime in and show some support for the Lulzbot mini, compared to the mono price low low-end offerings there and completely different classes. The
Lulzbot works out of the box without having to level it or anything. It has an auto bed leveling system and like the Prusa MK II it will let you focus on doing actual printing and not having to mess with the printer. The hotend goes up to 300° C which opens up several other materials that may be of use. The biggest downside to purchasing one is if you have other printers they most likely will not use the same filament size. The Mini holds up to abuse well and the one in our office has traveled overseas while checked as luggage and also been dropped off of a desk and did not require repair to keep printing. I eventually did have to fix a crack in one of the plastic pieces about nine months after it was dropped. As for the build volume size, I would say about 70% of the stuff I print will fit onto its build plate. That number is skewed lower then it could be. because I have access to printers with notably larger build areas so I tend to design with the intent of printing on the larger printers.

The Lulzbot TAZ 6 is also a great printer with a much larger build volume as well. The TAZ takes very minor assembly, but you can be up and printing in 10 minutes after opening the box.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Golluk posted:

And here I am playing with getting my bed leveled to +/- 0.002".

Compared to 3D printers, high-quality subtractive machining is in a whole other universe, for sure. Like -- a cheap FDM you can expect 100~200 micron layers, and an extremely good SLA machine might get you down to 25-microns -- about .001".

One-thousandth of an inch is where high-precision machining starts. Like "okay, we've got a baseline, now let's get this thing really trued up."

That said, 3D printing absolutely has a place in the shop if you use it properly and you're not all stuck up about it. I know one particular machinist who just constantly mocks 3D printing as terrible garbage, no precision, toys for children, real men would never touch that, you'll never see one in my shop, and so on. Meanwhile I've got 3D-printed parts made on a desktop printer rumbling around on my motorcycle every day, rain or shine, still showing no signs of fatigue or wear. :shrug:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Go buy this gear:
https://www.3dp2go.com/38-teeth-steel-extruder-drive-gear-id-5mm-p-450.html

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

torpedan posted:

Just to chime in and show some support for the Lulzbot mini, compared to the mono price low low-end offerings there and completely different classes.

€1200 vs €180 I'd hope it's in another class :v:

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That said, 3D printing absolutely has a place in the shop if you use it properly and you're not all stuck up about it. I know one particular machinist who just constantly mocks 3D printing as terrible garbage, no precision, toys for children, real men would never touch that, you'll never see one in my shop, and so on. Meanwhile I've got 3D-printed parts made on a desktop printer rumbling around on my motorcycle every day, rain or shine, still showing no signs of fatigue or wear. :shrug:

Unfortunately with the stigma we still hold over blue collar jobs, my industry tends to attract some real dummies. The majority of the people I've gotten to work with are cool but I've encountered my fair share of stubborn, racist jingoists too. It's mostly online that I see the whole, "hurr u ain't a machinist if u don do thjs type of werk!" Everyone at my shop is pretty pumped about 3D printing but I work for a smaller company full of nerds haha.

Any machinist who doesn't see additive as a compliment, at least, to subtractive manufacturing in the future is kidding themselves.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Payment failed on that site but I got one with the same spec through amazon instead.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Unfortunately with the stigma we still hold over blue collar jobs, my industry tends to attract some real dummies. The majority of the people I've gotten to work with are cool but I've encountered my fair share of stubborn, racist jingoists too. It's mostly online that I see the whole, "hurr u ain't a machinist if u don do thjs type of werk!" Everyone at my shop is pretty pumped about 3D printing but I work for a smaller company full of nerds haha.

Any machinist who doesn't see additive as a compliment, at least, to subtractive manufacturing in the future is kidding themselves.

This. Wow, it's like we work in the same shop.

I don't expect my 3d printer to replace a forging or some massive cast iron part. Like you said, a lot of people are pumped, especially when they start to think of it in a unique way and not just something to print Pikachu's.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yooper posted:

This. Wow, it's like we work in the same shop.

I don't expect my 3d printer to replace a forging or some massive cast iron part. Like you said, a lot of people are pumped, especially when they start to think of it in a unique way and not just something to print Pikachu's.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my 3d printer just printing guide jigs for specific drilling fixtures and small pieces to interlock together into dovetail guides on a router table, etc.

I could see a machine shop using a 3d printer to print a bunch of similar jigs/guides the day before actual machining on parts needed to be done and getting a lot of use out of one that way.

Even if you aren't making a finished product with a 3d printer, you can use one to make things that help you make other things in combination with existing tools.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

The Mori lathe I work on has live tooling, which means the spindle turns into an indexable c-axis and the turret has holders for milling tools on it that spin at 6k rpm so I can make parts complete and even square.

That machine is from 2009, the newest Moris have all that plus a 3D metal sintering head that can straight up print a right angled part that extends passed the diameter of the stock you're machining. It'll print in steps and then the live tooling comes back in and mills it to clean it up. Realistically, 3D printing is already here if you work for like some state of the art facility.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That is somewhat to be expected, since the hobby level printers we play with today aren't that far removed from the stuff being used back when 3d printing was actually started up by Charles Hull in 1983 (though that was SLA rather than FDM).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sagebrush posted:

Compared to 3D printers, high-quality subtractive machining is in a whole other universe, for sure. Like -- a cheap FDM you can expect 100~200 micron layers, and an extremely good SLA machine might get you down to 25-microns -- about .001".

One-thousandth of an inch is where high-precision machining starts. Like "okay, we've got a baseline, now let's get this thing really trued up."

Compared to what machining costs to start as a bare bottom baseline, even a turbodunce should be able to see that a 3d printer offers some room for overlap.

I was at a presentation and a local shop that does airplane poo poo commissioned a custom super wide format version of a 3d printer because they use it to 3d print support designs for planes. Apparently when refurbishing/maintaining planes they sometimes have to replace individual aluminum supports, and the new ones tend to need to be a slightly different shape than they originally were to fit properly. Each one is basically a custom job with a bit of tweaking needed.

In the bad old days, they would 3d model the (estimated) replacement, mill a prototype, test fit and made any adjustments to the 3d model, then repeat as needed and eventually mill a "good" one out of aluminum once all the tweaks are done. Then start the next one.

Instead they now 3d print the early prototypes as the design is refined. It may have cost them like 20k for a custom extra wide printer version, but compared to paying to have your prototypes machined it was a no brainer.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Yooper posted:

I don't expect my 3d printer to replace a forging or some massive cast iron part.

I use mine to make things that I cast in aluminium if that counts?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It has its place. No point buying a CNC to mill plastic pieces like drawer pulls or PCB board supports and project boxes. And no point 3D printing a sliding, machining support or jig.

3D printing isn't the end all be all, but instead something that fills a niche and augments existing tooling.

I'm making some learning towers for the kiddos, and will ninjaflex print handles with their names embossed on them. And maybe custom floor sliders. I wouldn't make those parts any other way, even if I had a 6 axis CNC and a lathe and a mill.

People trying to 3D print machine vices and oil pans for their RC nitro planes, however. Those are somewhat inappropriate.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
¿Porque no los dos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndx-amkf4qU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I thought sintering was done in a tub of material. They show a diagram of the extruder in that video but I still don't really get it. Does the laser shoot down the middle while a gas/metal powder is blown out around the beam, and it fuses that?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I don't speak German, but that would be my guess. It appears to blow out an inert shielding gas, and then lase the workpiece and shoot metal powder at it.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

TerminalSaint posted:

I don't speak German, but that would be my guess. It appears to blow out an inert shielding gas, and then lase the workpiece and shoot metal powder at it.

Yep.

Mostly adcopy, but http://www.engineering.com/AdvancedManufacturing/ArticleID/8778/3D-Printing-and-5-Axis-Machining-Combined-in-One-Machine.aspx

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's more to 3D printing than just the cheap-and-rough prototyping, though. There are some parts that are either extremely expensive and complicated or literally impossible to machine, but which an additive tool can build without breaking a sweat.

Like, here's a part I was recently working on

Try conceptualizing how you'd make that with a CNC mill. Imagine how many setups it would require, how many different fixtures and complex toolpaths and custom tools. Hell, try imagining even the sort of injection mold you'd need to mold it. It's got blind holes and occluded overhangs and internal passages everywhere. The only traditional method I can think of that's even remotely reasonable would be investment casting. But the part prints in a single shot on a desktop printer in about 6 hours, no support required, and in carbon-reinforced nylon it's as strong as injection-molded ABS.

Any machinist who doesn't appreciate that is really sabotaging their own skillset IMO.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sagebrush posted:

There's more to 3D printing than just the cheap-and-rough prototyping, though. There are some parts that are either extremely expensive and complicated or literally impossible to machine, but which an additive tool can build without breaking a sweat.

Absolutely, but acceptance of new tech must always go through what I call a "implement the old on the new" phase before it gets used in genuinely new ways. Any tech that doesn't allow for this phase hamstrings its own adoption and dies out due to being ahead of its time, imo.

I think 3d printers are still working on the first part with respect to "real" work.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, when I hear about someone getting a replacement part on their skull or a new titanium ribcage built, I'm pretty sure 3d printing is officially in use.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's pretty cutting edge and amazing stuff but there's still plenty of shop guys who consider it toy tier stuff with no future or place in actual professional work.

Speaking of pro work, the Carbon 3D guys whose printers complete with injection molding seem super cool but they run their stuff on a "subscription/licensing" base only. Starts at $50k/yr for those of you considering a business case :shepface:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I dunno, when I hear about someone getting a replacement part on their skull or a new titanium ribcage built, I'm pretty sure 3d printing is officially in use.

One of our clients is a surgical oncologist who works primarily on jaws. We do same day prints of their MRI scans for them to bring into surgery so they can have an excellent model of exactly what they need to work on. It's turning up in places you'd never think of.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is sinter printing, but a local dentist I went to, paid for with Army vouchers so not some fancy high-end one, had next-day 3D printed custom grinding shields. The ones you sleep with. Laser scanned and poo poo instead of polymer impressions.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Uhg, amazon sent me the wrong printer. A V2 instead of the Plus.

Back you go, to wait for a woman with less discriminatin' taste. :(

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

God drat, Full Spectrum Laser want $500 to replace the beaglebone controller (About £50~to buy a blank one) or $100 if they only have to reprogram it. This is excluding shipping and handling from UK to Las Vegas.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

grooaann

Trying to work on my mom's birthday present, but I'm still dealing with retraction issues, it looks like. I've been troubleshooting by trying to print these tiny cylinders, and keeping the retraction points at the same point of the model to make the issue most prominent. I've been following the Simplify3D troubleshooting guide, toying with all of the retraction settings, but nothing seems to fix it.

What are the standard settings for retraction? My understanding is that, for direct extrusion, you keep retraction around 1-2mm. Or is there something else that might be causing this?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah no, never spray indoors without a spray booth. You can however build a decent spray booth for like ~25 bucks worth of poo poo from ACE so that's not hard.

Also man did swapping my extruder gear make a huge difference. That's like night and day for a part that was less than ten bucks. You'd think now that Monoprice is clearly getting a custom version of the i3 with all kinds of revisions they'd just start throwing these gears into them because it drastically changes what the i3 is capable of.

Oh, no, of course you don't spray anything indoors. I was talking about Glazing Spot Putty. Even a small amount of that is going to gas you out of your apartment.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Upgrading my old printer and that feeling when you look at a piece faaaar deep down you put in like one of the first steps and thinking....You are upside down aren't you.

:eng99:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Revol posted:

What are the standard settings for retraction? My understanding is that, for direct extrusion, you keep retraction around 1-2mm. Or is there something else that might be causing this?

Maybe work thru these suggestions:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/#blobs-and-zits

I think you're correct about 1-2mm for direct drive. I have mine set to 5mm for bowden drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Have you tried experimenting with the setting that stops extruding a certain distance before the end of the perimeter (iirc coast?).