Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SarandonBranderson
Apr 7, 2017

Tunicate posted:

Vin and Elend are canonically banging whenever they have a chance - they share a bed it doesn't need a blow-by-blow

I'm not here to disparage anyone's beliefs, just to bring a little light argument for the sake of enjoyable discussion. So if we can turn this particular point into a massively overwrought debate, it would be in the name of fun!

Now tell me, if you're so sure. Why doesn't Vin get pregnant then?

I think it's unlikely condom technology (goat bladder or other animal organ stretchy bits) would be available under The Lord Ruler. He wants the Ska to breed and be easily replaceable. Nobles getting ahold of birth control would probably be a little too complicated as well. Straff sure as heck didn't use any birth control.

Sanderson could have, and perhaps should have had a little making-out lead into a fade-to-black like most writers do. Closest I remember was a scene where Vin wakes up in the morning and gets her clothes on. It's pretty common for some couples to share a bed, kiss and cuddle, without going any further. That's the feel I got from Vin and Elend's relationship, especially when she was a little cold to him throughout "The Well of Ascension" and questioned how well their relationship worked.

I really believe they never did it. And I find it strange. I welcome all rationalization and proof to show otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is this thread old enough that it's now attracting low effort posts?

Apparently so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

flosofl posted:

Is this thread old enough that it's now attracting low effort posts?

Apparently so.

By people bored enough to make bad gimmick accounts, at that.

SarandonBranderson
Apr 7, 2017
Yeah, I get there's some attrition, but it's okay with me if people don't want to put in too much effort to answer my questions or comment on my take on Sanderson. Just a quick nod is enough to keep the thread alive.

If it helps, though, any medium effort or even slightly higher effort post can get a complimentary copy of THE ANNOYOMANCER from me.

The ultimate low effort post is to bitch about low effort posts. I think things will pick up when Oathbreaker comes out in a few months.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It just occurred to me that Brandon being a self confessed prude who leaves sex scenes to his viewers' imagination may have had additional benefits related to the type of fans that gather around his work.

Vin doesn't get pregnant because she habitually gives herself heavy metal poisoning and exposes her body to strenuous forces when flying around or getting the poo poo kicked out of her by various villains. I doubt she's been taking a folic acid supplement either. Also the Lord Ruler biologically modified his nobility to have a very low fertility rate. Any conception issues could easily be attributed to Elend. Also the last skaa Elend slept with was murdered by his father, so maybe he has some mental baggage in that area.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SarandonBranderson posted:

If it helps, though, any medium effort or even slightly higher effort post can get a complimentary copy of THE ANNOYOMANCER from me. .

I'll bite the bullet, I'm sure I can get plenty of comedy posts out of it.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's also an Elantrian in the pure lake intermission, I forget his name though and even after having read Elantris it didn't click until I saw it mentioned elsewhere.

They should read Warbreaker either way because it's a good book and Sanderson gives it out for free as a PDF on his website so there's literally no excuse not to get it.

Yes, but that's in Way of Kings and he's already read that. There is Demoux (Mistborn era 1), Galladon the Elantrian, and Baon from Taladin The White Sand planet.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Just got an email from Humble Bundle that a Sanderson bundle has launched: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/brandon-sanderson-book-bundle

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ok thread give me the 411 on if that bundle is good

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ok thread give me the 411 on if that bundle is good

I guess if you want the audio book for war breaker but other than that it's mostly just his short stories

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
If you haven't already read them, Emporer's Soul + the two Legion novellas is a great deal for $1.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Problem with that bundle for me is... uh...

I wanted cheap sanderson novellas. :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Just read Emperor's Soul. Everything else is skippable.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Benson Cunningham posted:

Just read Emperor's Soul. Everything else is skippable.

But Emperor's Soul is not available in his region? :confused:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Torrannor posted:

But Emperor's Soul is not available in his region? :confused:

It's almost like instead of buying the entire pack, he can just go buy the individual book and save money anyway.

It's almost like that.

No wait, it's that. That's it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's almost like instead of buying the entire pack, he can just go buy the individual book and save money anyway.

It's almost like that.

No wait, it's that. That's it.

It ain't cheaper, that's the $1 tier and it costs approx $2.50 for Emperor's Soul alone on kindle. :colbert:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Xachariah posted:

It ain't cheaper, that's the $1 tier and it costs approx $2.50 for Emperor's Soul alone on kindle. :colbert:

I thought 3 cents a word was what the author got paid, not what the reader was charged.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Can't find the WoT thread and I'm phone posting, but Sony has announced that the TV show has been greenlit over there. Red Eagle still producing though, and I thought those guys are out of the picture now? But Harriet is lead consultant so I guess that's Team Jordan officially involved.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Can't find the WoT thread and I'm phone posting, but Sony has announced that the TV show has been greenlit over there. Red Eagle still producing though, and I thought those guys are out of the picture now? But Harriet is lead consultant so I guess that's Team Jordan officially involved.

It's in the Archive now :(

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460087

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

My guess is that someone decided the property was worth whatever the license holders demanded and decided just to pay them and get the drat show made already.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Book 3 of the Cradle series, Blackflame, just came out, and it's quite good. Series is like Sanderson by way of DBZ (or maybe Naruto is a better analogue): expansive world building, intricate & systematic magic, likable characters, but also with East Asian cultural tropes and extremely shounen-esque power levels and training. There's even a character that reminds me of Hoid and Lightsong! Oh, and the humor is Sanderson-esque too...in that there isn't much of it.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 5, 2017

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
started reading way of kings for the first time and man it's like, gently caress all the other characters, i dont care about you, when's the next kaladin chapter aghh

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Don't worry, you'll feel that way about him soon enough and all through book 2 as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the other characters, but I hated his flashback chapters.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I hate all the characters equally. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some of the flashback stuff was interesting. When it came to like the 20th ladder run though I was completely out of patience and then in book 2 he's Mr. Mopey-pants and no thank you.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some of the flashback stuff was interesting. When it came to like the 20th ladder run though I was completely out of patience and then in book 2 he's Mr. Mopey-pants and no thank you.

His mopeyness is definitely annoying but I considered it a deliberate point on Sanderson's behalf: Kaladin is half clinically depressed, half addict coming down from a bender. It made him less of a Mary-Sue character because he has serious flaws, just like his suspicions of Dalinar (even though Dalinar is totally dreamy :allears:)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, those books would benefit from not showing every detail of the main characters's lives. Some of it could be summarized, or skipped altogether, without losing the emotional impact or character development.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

started reading way of kings for the first time and man it's like, gently caress all the other characters, i dont care about you, when's the next kaladin chapter aghh

Yeah, there's too much world building crammed into Dalinar and Shallan's chapters and not enough action to give their stories momentum. Shallan in particular is much more enjoyable in the second book when the story gives her stuff to do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think she picks up near the 2/3 way through the book. Dalinare has a lot of repetition which slows it down.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
So I was at my local Barnes and Noble and I decided to pick up Elantris and The Emperor's Soul. Elantris was a pretty fun read, I enjoyed the depiction of the Elantrians and thought it set up a pretty cool world that I wouldn't mind seeing more of. It was a little rough but considering that its Sanderson's first work its understandable. Now The Emperor's Soul on the other hand blew me away. It was fast paced, had an interesting magic system, interesting characters, and it was all around 150 pages long. Its probably up there with The stormlight archives and Warbreaker as my favorite Sanderson books. I was kinda shocked how much it distanced itself from Elantris, if I didn't remember reading that this was a story in the same world, and I didn't pick up the few name drops here and there I probably would have thought it was just a standalone book.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I just finished Snapshot: https://www.amazon.com/Snapshot/dp/B01N3ASJU3/

It's a short story that took around 2.5 hours to read. It was pretty interesting! It's kind of Shyamalan-esque, but I can't go further than that without spoiling anything. Definitely pick it up if you want a quick, cheap and fun read. I like that Sanderson explored a bit of human darkness in a way that he hasn't in any of the other books I've read.

On to Hero of Ages next I think. Well of Ascension put me off Mistborn for a few months, but everyone seems to be saying that HoA is really good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Quincytbb posted:

So I was at my local Barnes and Noble and I decided to pick up Elantris and The Emperor's Soul. Elantris was a pretty fun read, I enjoyed the depiction of the Elantrians and thought it set up a pretty cool world that I wouldn't mind seeing more of. It was a little rough but considering that its Sanderson's first work its understandable. Now The Emperor's Soul on the other hand blew me away. It was fast paced, had an interesting magic system, interesting characters, and it was all around 150 pages long. Its probably up there with The stormlight archives and Warbreaker as my favorite Sanderson books. I was kinda shocked how much it distanced itself from Elantris, if I didn't remember reading that this was a story in the same world, and I didn't pick up the few name drops here and there I probably would have thought it was just a standalone book.

I think The Emperor's Soul is the best thing he's ever written.

Although I haven't yet read everything in the Arcanum Unbounded collection. There's some new stuff in there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell is an interesting story and I'd be very interested in seeing a full book (or series) explore that setting's world. IIRC it's also the world whose cognitive realm is extremely messed up and dangerous to even try to visit.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell is an interesting story and I'd be very interested in seeing a full book (or series) explore that setting's world. IIRC it's also the world whose cognitive realm is extremely messed up and dangerous to even try to visit.

That would be Sel the world from Elantris.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jebrown84 posted:

That would be Sel the world from Elantris.

No, Threnody.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sel's cognitive is crammed full of white hot energy and going unprotected gets you violently ripped apart.
Threnody doesn't have any stable links to the physical and probably you can only slip through when a shade is being created or killing a guy or something like that.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC it's also the world whose cognitive realm is extremely messed up and dangerous to even try to visit.

This is Sel. Threnody is the world from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. Sorry should have been more clear.

jebrown84 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 15, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm about to wrap up the last story in Arcanum Unbounded, and I'm really glad I picked it up. The introduction to each solar system and discussion on magic systems really clears up a lot of the harder-to-parse "sciencey" segments of the other books. I feel like I really needed this to understand the difference between the Realms, or what the gently caress Jasnah has been doing, and certainly about Hoid.

The stories themselves are good, too. Shadows for Silence, in particular, is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hero of Ages has been finished. Well of Ascension didn't really hook me, but I liked Hero of Ages much more. I have however noticed that Sanderson's writing has gotten a lot better since the first Mistborn books. The avalanches he does felt a lot stronger to me in Stormlight Archives than Mistborn. I was able to put down the Mistborn books during the endings, where I was reading Way of Kings and Words of Radiance while getting dressed for work it was so captivating.

The apocalyptic scenario was awesome. I had ** big ending spoiler ** been spoiled that Sazed took both Ruin and Preservation, but lacking context I had no idea what it meant until I actually got there anyway. When it finally got to that point in the story it didn't even bother me that it was spoiled. I was really surprised that both Vin and Elend died. It was much more of a bittersweet ending than I've come to expect from Sanderson.

I'm really looking forward to picking up era 2 now. Book 4 seems a bit lowly rated on Goodreads (one of my few gauges of books), but then 5 seems to pick up. I think I'm going to go through Arcanum Unbounded before I get into another epic multi-part book though. I will say that Mistborn enhanced some of my understanding of what's going on in Stormlight Archives.