Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Course is dead, playing 2 balls, what's another 36 today!

Edit: and of course I'm hitting loving shots no one will believe me about lol

What is this bizarre place where you're playing golf?

Five hour round today after the hell that was yesterday. At least I'm slightly less drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

What is this bizarre place where you're playing golf?

Five hour round today after the hell that was yesterday. At least I'm slightly less drunk.

Central Florida lol. Tee time was for 12:10. I got there at 11 and hit a bucket of ball. Get to first tee, no starter, and no one teeing off or any where in sight so I said gently caress it and teed off at 11:45.

This isn't some scrub course either, it's a semi private usually around $50-60/round. Not sure why it was dead unless everyone got out early and were scared of the heat, it was only like 82 today.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Practicing on mats at the range has given me such a false sense of security.. mind you it was still a bit muddy and wet on the course but
Everything was chunky and fat today.. really wish there were ranges here that were grass :(

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My course was a zoo yesterday, lots of families and groups of people who obviously don't play much. We don't have any marshals or anything so it turned into "play a few holes and then drive around looking for gaps elsewhere" because nobody was letting people play through and the course was moving at 5-hour-round pace which is ungodly slow for me.

Angry Asian posted:

Practicing on mats at the range has given me such a false sense of security.. mind you it was still a bit muddy and wet on the course but
Everything was chunky and fat today.. really wish there were ranges here that were grass :(
My buddy that got a Skytrak for his living room said the same thing when we played Friday. He's around a 0 handicap and was not striking the ball as well as usual, especially considering that he was hitting balls daily on the sim. But with wet and uneven turf here in NY it's nothing like hitting off a mat.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mattfl posted:

Well I'm nothing if not consistent lol

Remember how I said shots that no one would believe. That eagle on 5 was a chip in from 25 yards away, behind a hill, into a blind green. I didn't believe it myself until I saw it in the cup lol.

And I'm done, 72 in 2 days is quite enough for this weekend!

Could you break down your lower scoring? F/P--P stands for putts I assume. F is...reaching the green in regulation? Hitting the fairway after a drive? :) Never seen this before.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Could you break down your lower scoring? F/P--P stands for putts I assume. F is...reaching the green in regulation? Hitting the fairway after a drive? :) Never seen this before.

Ya, F is fairway hit and P is putts.

I didn't feel like using golfshot this round so figured I'd keep track on paper this time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks for the clarification.

Found a very cool shop that sells last years models and used clubs in town, nearly got a 2009ish Taylormade Burner to replace my 80s version of the same until better sense got a hold of me to wait, get some swings in, and have my swing evaluated for the right driver. But still for $40 to replace the POS in my bag it might be a decent stop gap measure.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Played one of my best rounds in a while yesterday in a local open event, having never played the course before. Ended up winning C Grade Nett but lost C Grade scratch and overall Nett on a countback. Bit of a bummer when I know I lost because of a 6 on a par 4 where I was 50m out from the green with my drive and proceeded to duff 2 wedges back to back. Positive side is I'm down to a 17.8 handicap so B Grade all the way now :).

It's amazing when you go from your local course which isn't in great condition to a club with lovely tended course, greens rolled true and easier to read, fairways immaculate and rough was spongy and didn't swallow your ball.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I remember the first time I walked onto the fairway of a private country club for a tournament thinking it was smoother than the greens I normally played on. Amazing.

So on my way into work I stopped back into that shop and swung some clubs. My POS driver, an Alien it turns out, wasn't in nearly as bad a shape as I remembered but still way way too whippy. On their simulator, having not swung for a few years, I had a head speed of 90-100 and surprisingly high ball spin, so they fed me a few drivers in my preferred price range (low, since I need to work on mechanics before fussing over the minimal gains of precisely tuned gear), including (unrequested) that Taylormade. I settled on both it (10.5 loft) and a Ping (9 loft). The Ping felt great, the ball off the face was like off a pillow it was so soft, but it was consistently shorter and with a slightly greater fade than the Taylormade. The latter wasn't nearly as forgiving but when struck true was dead on. I hit a lot a balls, hemmed and hawed, and went with it. It should be a good enough gamer for where I am right now.

The owner of the place was pretty surprised by what irons I had, and I have a standing offer to come down and see how the technology has progressed since the 80s :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy fuckin' lol there's a name I haven't heard of in ages.

Alien made drivers? All i remember was that goofy infomercial sand wedge they made

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My clubhouse has a table full of free clubs from the lost and found from last year and I don't think I saw a single club that was younger than I am (only a slight exaggeration lol).

Played a round with a few guys today at the state park course that my Tuesday league is at, the course is already in great shape and it was absolutely perfect golf weather today and we had a blast. Shot a 91 which I'm not too unhappy with since I've only played the course twice and there are a lot of holes that I didn't hit the correct club off the tee and paid the price for it. It's probably the most difficult course in the area so I'm looking forward to the change of pace coming from my usual course which is so easy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thing is I got that Alien driver only 3 or so years ago. Who knows how long it was in the remainder bin. Still looks brand new other than the grooving on the lower side of the face from the *1* time I used it at the range.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm looking at a new hybrid (3i replacement, my current hybrid is a 19 degree Ping). The titleist 816h1 looks like the front runner. Anyone use it, and any opinions on shafts choice?

EDIT: Nevermind. Buying the M1 Hybrid. Swings nice, looks nice, can't wait to start hitting it off the tee.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 19, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone that's played the Rory McIlroy PGA Tour game have any insight on it? I had a lot of fun with the last Tiger Woods game, and the trailer for this game looked pretty good. Apparently it was released with barely any courses, but they have since added some? There's also some goofy mini-games? Any info would be appreciated!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Does anyone that's played the Rory McIlroy PGA Tour game have any insight on it? I had a lot of fun with the last Tiger Woods game, and the trailer for this game looked pretty good. Apparently it was released with barely any courses, but they have since added some? There's also some goofy mini-games? Any info would be appreciated!

It's pretty much the same game, not a whole lot of changes from previous iterations. Having said that I don't think I've played it in over a year. If you have friends to play it with and headsets it can be a good time but in that case, go play real golf lol.

I barely remember the mini-games. I want to say most are a variation of "hit it to this spot, closer to the bullseye is more points." It's pretty much Top Golf.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah EA Golf is fine multiplayer but I've never felt like I've missed much by not playing it or anything. To be honest I've had more fun with the more arcade-type games like Hot Shots.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
There is also another option called The Golf Club. It's a bit more sim heavy than RMT, also lacks licensed courses but has a really great editor where people make some awesome courses. They are currently making a second version with more features so if you can it would be best to hold off for that.

I haven't played Rory a heap since it came out and they added the first extra course, my main issue was going from the last Tiger game they stripped out heaps of content.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Demo day on Friday and then i get fitted when it ends. Looks like all the major brands will be there.

I shoot high 90s, anything i should try out that people like ?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

daslog posted:

Demo day on Friday and then i get fitted when it ends. Looks like all the major brands will be there.

I shoot high 90s, anything i should try out that people like ?

Literally whatever works and feels good. All about how it feels, what the ball flight looks like, and if it's hitting all the technical marks like consistent middle of the clubface impact, etc.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I mean... realistically most brand GI clubs are going to work great at that level. I don't know if I'd even recommend trying to optimize beyond what feels right and gives you some confidence.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Speaking of buying clubs...It seems most sets of irons at the local big box store are 4-A, with no 3 iron. Is this current standard? P is presumably a pitching wedge, is A a higher lofted, sand wedge sort of thing?

I also noticed some sets had hybrid wood, low iron things, again is this the new normal?

(Have to say I really liked the low-center weighting and rounded leading edge most of these irons seemed to have)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A is a gap wedge, so around 50*, sand wedges are usually between 54*-58* depending on how you gap your wedges and 9001 other things.

2 and 3 irons are slowly disappearing, especially in the game improvement sets, and a lot of better players are replacing them with either driving irons or hybrids these days as well as they're generally more forgiving. My most recent set was 3-PW but they're getting harder to find, with 4-PW or 4-A/GW being much more common.

The hybrid combo sets are usually a pretty good deal if they work for you. Generally $100 more than a normal iron set but you get one or two hybrids that would probably cost $1-150 each if bought separately.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of wedges and whatnot, I think I need to tighten up the gaps in mine. Currently I'm playing the following

P - 44* - 145ish 150 if I step on it
A - 49* - 130 or so
56* - 100-110
60* - everything else

That gap between 130 and 110 is what bothers me. Thinking about throwing a 52* wedge in there and carrying 4 wedges. Anyone else play a similar setup?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shrapnig posted:

A is a gap wedge, so around 50*, sand wedges are usually between 54*-58* depending on how you gap your wedges and 9001 other things.

2 and 3 irons are slowly disappearing, especially in the game improvement sets, and a lot of better players are replacing them with either driving irons or hybrids these days as well as they're generally more forgiving. My most recent set was 3-PW but they're getting harder to find, with 4-PW or 4-A/GW being much more common.

The hybrid combo sets are usually a pretty good deal if they work for you. Generally $100 more than a normal iron set but you get one or two hybrids that would probably cost $1-150 each if bought separately.

Interesting. So with the rise of the hybrids are people still bagging 3-5 woods?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Interesting. So with the rise of the hybrids are people still bagging 3-5 woods?

I have a 3hy, 4hy, and 5hy, but still roll with a driver and 4 wood as well. My hybrids largely seem to have higher flight paths and come down softer, the 4wood for me largely goes off the tee (sometimes off the deck, god I've loved it) and from the fairway on longer par 4s and par 5s. I use the hybrids more to get me out of trouble. I haven't used the 3hy (20 degrees) a whole lot, but the 4hy (23) and 5hy (26, i think) are awesome out of the rough when I still have a way to go.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

My 3 wood has essentially replaced my driver as of late as I can shape it at will or hit it dead straight and still carry it 265+. I have a 2hy that covers anything my 4 iron can't.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My current bag is driver, 16 degree 4W, 20 degree 6W, 4-P irons, 50/54/58 wedges. My PW is 46 degrees so there's only a 4 degree gap between it and my 50 degree but I have a bit of a yardage gap there; PW is typically 135ish and GW is 120ish but I'm getting better at handling the in-between yardages so it hasn't been a huge concern.

The 6W is my newest addition and I'm still getting used to it. I hit it very well some days and others I try swinging too hard which almost always ends in disaster. Most hybrids are draw-biased and turn into hook machines for me since that's already my normal miss, I want to try hitting a few others at some point but haven't been able to yet.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Just to make your choices more complicated I would think about what kind of courses you typically play, and what the weather is often like. My local area wind is very common to play in so I have started moving away from hybrids and lofted woods to irons just so I can keep the ball flight down. Hybrids are so easy to hit I do miss having one. I am currently playing driver, 14.5* 3wood, 3 DI, 4-P, 52*, 58*.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Unknownmass posted:

Just to make your choices more complicated I would think about what kind of courses you typically play, and what the weather is often like. My local area wind is very common to play in so I have started moving away from hybrids and lofted woods to irons just so I can keep the ball flight down. Hybrids are so easy to hit I do miss having one. I am currently playing driver, 14.5* 3wood, 3 DI, 4-P, 52*, 58*.
That's only 13 clubs including a putter so why not carry a hybrid too?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I sold it. I keep wanting to play 3 wedge set up like 52/56/60, but I get overwhelmed with all the shot choices. Now I don't know what to use my last slot on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Crazy. And my vintage early 80s clubs are presumably more lofted than current sets. I know from hitting in the simulator that I was getting crazy ball rotation until I upped the stiffness and dropped the loft. I bet I can really increase distance with some newer sticks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Crazy. And my vintage early 80s clubs are presumably more lofted than current sets. I know from hitting in the simulator that I was getting crazy ball rotation until I upped the stiffness and dropped the loft. I bet I can really increase distance with some newer sticks.

Even if you spent $2-300(or less) on a set of the cheapest game improvement irons released by a major OEM in the last five years you'd see a huge difference from 80s era irons both in distance and forgiveness.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Gap wedges crack me up. Club manufacturers kept decreasing the lofts of their irons because **THIS YEAR'S NEW MODEL GOES TWO YARDS MORE!!!!!!** but it left them with a huge difference between their pitching wedges and their sand wedges. So they invented a new club that they could also sell to fill that gap.

For the record, I have these 4-PW. Still testing some wedges from my club fitter. And of course I have one of these for my "oh poo poo that's a narrow fairway" shots.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

Speaking of wedges and whatnot, I think I need to tighten up the gaps in mine. Currently I'm playing the following

P - 44* - 145ish 150 if I step on it
A - 49* - 130 or so
56* - 100-110
60* - everything else

That gap between 130 and 110 is what bothers me. Thinking about throwing a 52* wedge in there and carrying 4 wedges. Anyone else play a similar setup?
D, 17* 3(4)W, 3i-PW
P 48* 135-140
54* 115-120
58* 95-100
62* 80-85

I used to play 52,56,60 but the 52 distance was just too close to the PW, I ended up never using it. Love the 62 now for some touch shots around the greens too.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hello golf thread, where have you been all my life?

My wife and I had a baby last summer so I only golfed maybe 6 times all year. It was a sad year for golf.

This summer is not shaping up to be much better, although I did join my company's golf league. Some big shots heard I was a good golfer and asked me to join their team, should be interesting.

I played 18 holes at a local private club my parents are joining, shot 41/36 which I was pretty happy with. Was missing some distance control on ~90 yard shots, but was striking the ball surprisingly well with my irons.

Looking forward to golfposting a bit more this year :).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOCTAFUN'S BACK :toot:

GRATS ON BABBY :toot:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

My wife and I had a baby last summer so I only golfed maybe 6 times all year. It was a sad year for golf.

This does not bode well with my wife starting to bring up the want a babby talk :( I've played 18 rounds already this year!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Well I and the missus have been trying for 3-4 years now so my golf game has been unhindered.... other than by the weather, and the fact that my league partner just had his first kid. I've played a total of.. 13 holes at a par 3 in Daytona while on vacation, this year. :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Well I and the missus have been trying for 3-4 years now so my golf game has been unhindered.... other than by the weather, and the fact that my league partner just had his first kid. I've played a total of.. 13 holes at a par 3 in Daytona while on vacation, this year. :(

Did you play on the par 3 executive course on beach side? That's the only par 3 I know of around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

My 3 wood has essentially replaced my driver as of late as I can shape it at will or hit it dead straight and still carry it 265+. I have a 2hy that covers anything my 4 iron can't.

Good lord, you're a horse.