Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

The Muffinlord posted:

I'd love some missiles that really Itano out. Give them a ton of extra fuel but make them move faster than their tracking can keep up so they spiral around in weird ways.

https://track3.mixtape.moe/ugahae.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
New Patch Notes

Alex posted:

Changes as of April 13, 2017

Campaign
Planets with ruins will now have orbital junk, like regular markets (but no radio chatter)
Person-bounty fleets now marked as "mission important" (i.e. will show indicator on map/campaign when visible)
Can no longer scuttle, sell, or store the last ship in your fleet
Control-clicking on a stack cargo to take or buy it will transfer just enough to fill up free capacity
Another ctrl-click will take the rest, if desired
Mostly meant to make topping off on fuel quick and easy
Control-clicking cargo to sell/store/eject it will initially only transfer enough to put you at maximum capacity, if you're above it
Another click will transfer the rest
Added slight base demand for fuel and supply to all markets (makes supplies/fuel more generally available)

Fuel:
Reduced price to 25 credits (from 50)
Roughly doubled amount available
Increased proportion of fuel from salvage, battle salvage, and scuttling
Reduced ship fuel capacity, generally by around half
Cargo ships tend to have a bit more
Carriers a bit less
Overall goal is to encourage more casual exploration (cheaper, more abundant fuel) and open up a few more choices in fleet composition (how many/what types of tankers to use)
Reduced cargo capacity somewhat, especially of combat ships above frigate level
A fleet with many larger ships is more likely to want to bring freighters along
A fleet with mostly frigates is largely unaffected compared to before
Attempting to activate the transponder when doing so will make a faction hostile will bring up a confirmation dialog

Scavenge ability:
Chance of an accident starts low and increases with subsequent operations in same debris field
As do the losses from an accident

Updated sensor range calculation
One fleet's sensor profile is added to another fleet's sensor range to get the detection range
Skills/abilities/terrain etc still modify this combined range, as before
Ships contribute 30/60/90/150 to sensor strength and profile, based on ship size
Added to a base fleet strength/profile of 300
Only the 5 ships with the highest profile and strength are used, can be different set for each
Adjusted various related hullmods; of particular note:
High Resolution Sensors give a flat +60 to sensor strength
Phase Field sets the ship's profile to 0
Maximum sensor range indicator (to detect your fleet) now also shown when mousing over another fleet
Overall:
Slightly increased detection ranges, most impactful for smaller fleets
Easier-to-gauge impact of specific ships, since it's linear

New inventory icons for fuel and supplies

Added campaign tutorial:
Introduces major gameplay elements and goes through active abilities
High-level, involves doing a multi-stage mission to get out of new starting star system
Can be skipped; if skipped starts player with similar resources/standing as if they did it
New game creation:
Added button to randomly generate a name
Added button to randomly a pick portrait
Re-did starting options
Starting ship: Wolf or Wayfarer
Second ship: Kite with officer, or Shepherd with heavy machinery
Difficulty: normal or easy
Tutorial: do or skip

Easy difficulty now:
Reduces damage taken by all ships on your side by 25%
Increases sensor range by 500
Increases all salvage (combat and non-combat) by 50%

Added visual indicator for mission-important entities in campaign screen
Added "survey planet" mission
Turned off trade disruption condition for now (incentivizing the wrong things, current iteration not working design-wise)
In-flight refit: adding weapons/hullmods will again reduce CR, but not below the malfunction threshold
Still makes outfitting recovered ships mostly free as they can't start with more CR than that
Prevents some potential exploits
Improved fleet AI: computes better intercept point when pursuing another fleet
Reduced use of Emergency Burn by AI fleets, especially during pursuit
Running a salvage operation or scavenging will now bring your fleet to a stop
Added UI indicators to debris fields to make them easier to spot
Solar Shielding: modified description to mention that it also protects against hyperstorms
Campaign music will now stop while surveying a planet or otherwise interacting with it
Radar now shows hyperspace terrain (does not show any other kind of terrain)

Ships
Shepherd:
Added Salvage Gantry as built-in hullmod; +10% potential salvage
Increased fuel capacity
Paragon: reduced OP by 30, added built in "Advanced Targeting Core" - +100% weapon range

Miscellaneous
Disabled buttons will now flash when they fail-to-be-activated using the shortcut key

Modding
Added secondary faction color for fleet circle indicators
"secondaryUIColor":[<color>],
"secondarySegments":<integer>,
Only used by the fleet/station/entity/etc circles, nothing else
Ship tooltip: non-phase cloak right-click systems will show "Special" instead of "Defense" and the proper system name
reportBattleFinished() now properly called when battle ends, both for autoresolve and player battles

Bugfixing:
Fixed Wolf collision radius (was smaller than shields, could cause limited collision detection problems)
Fixed another campaign-game level memory leak

A lot of good stuff in there. I like the Paragon change.

He's down to bug-fixing and play testing at this point. Maybe another week or two?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm super sad this didn't get released during my Easter break, cause most likely it'll come out right when I start back at uni, and it's the last few weeks of grinding before exams hit, so I won't have the time to binge on it. RIP.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It's looking like Alex is going to get the first RC built this week, fingers crossed we might see the update next week, possibly even Friday.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Already?

I hope he's not rushing out this rc :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fewd posted:

Already?

I hope he's not rushing out this rc :ohdear:

Yeah he should take all the time he needs. If I have to wait until 2024 for a good product then I'll do it happily.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
2024 for 1.0 isn't actually all that far-fetched in this case. Buut we already have a good product so

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Starsector 1.0 will be something you leave your grandchildren in your will.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lassitude posted:

Starsector 1.0 will be something you leave your grandchildren in your will.

You mean the preorder key.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I've been reading about this game since 2012 and I've finally decided to pull the trigger. It looks like it will scratch that Escape Velocity itch that nothing else will. Is the list of good mods in the OP still relevant?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jester Mcgee posted:

I've been reading about this game since 2012 and I've finally decided to pull the trigger. It looks like it will scratch that Escape Velocity itch that nothing else will. Is the list of good mods in the OP still relevant?

Don't burn yourself out! The new patch is just around the corner and it turns it into a brand new experience.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Don't burn yourself out! The new patch is just around the corner and it turns it into a brand new experience.

Any year now!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jester Mcgee posted:

If you're just starting the game it's not a bad idea to play vanilla at first. The vanilla game is great. Personally I just add a handful of factions and otherwise keep the game stock.

Also a new update is (hopefully) right about to drop so it may be a little bit until mods are updated to work with it.

But most importantly, yes, this game scratches the EV itch better than anything else in the ~15 years since the last EV came out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Any year now!

Any moment... just a few more days. Maybe a couple of weeks. This time next month, we'll all be sipping champagne and scuttling ships, I'll bet my mortgage on it! Does Law of Attraction still work even if you're lying to yourself?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jester Mcgee posted:

It does scratch that EV itch.

And with the new patch, there will be a whole lot added in the way of exploration and makes the universe a lot bigger.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jester Mcgee posted:

A new patch is coming out, and that usually breaks all of the mods whenever it does happen.

A good place to check is the official game forums in the mod section, each mod will be updated with if it's compatible with the current release client or not, or at least the active ones will have their creators talking about rough timeframes or what is required to make it compatible.

The main ones usually update really fast, but some older ones start falling through the cracks.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

might as well play with some mods now before everything breaks, doubt this will be as bad as the modpocalypse though, when everyone had to completely re-do how their poo poo appears in campaign and make star systems

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Via his twitter, we're at RC4. What RC did he release on last time? Double digits, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what's RC4?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Release Candidate 4; means mechanics are set, known major bugs are gone, etc.
The number is how many times he's replaced it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Release Candidate 4. It's dev speak for "We made one with broke things, are they unbroke now?" When unbroke = yes, we get to play with it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Think of it like jar of mayonnaise. Each RC is a dollop getting added to a taco from the jar. When the jar is empty and all the mayonnaise on the taco, we get to eat taco.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There is a problem with your analogy

Who the gently caress puts mayonnaise on a taco

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eat the taco? That's the phrase you're going to go with?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Who the gently caress puts mayonnaise on a taco

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Think of it like jar of mayonnaise sour cream...

Fixed that for you, I think.

RC11 already, huh? Maybe we'll have it by the weekend then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Eat the taco? That's the phrase you're going to go with?

What do you normally do with tacos, stick them up your arse?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Anybody on one of my boats asks for mayo on their taco they're getting specially selected for a covert mission to the airlock.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

What do you normally do with tacos, stick them up your arse?

most sane people line their beds with tacos and lie in it?? duh

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Stop putting mayonnaise in your tacos you nutters. And a whole jar too? What the heck

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re going to put gross white goop on your taco, at least go with sour cream.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What is it with americans and mayo anyway? If you hate it so much you don't want to put it on fries, tacos, porridge, whatever then just say so! This whole condiment apartheid thing you got going is frankly ridiculous.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

isnt there a special celebration called taco de mayo or something? where you put mayo on your tacos?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, what an experience.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

isnt there a special celebration called taco de mayo or something? where you put mayo on your tacos?

Yes, I have heard of that one, where it's followed by mass, ritualistic suicide. Very traditional, very noble.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The mad fever of near release posting

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

lollontee posted:

What is it with americans and mayo anyway? If you hate it so much you don't want to put it on fries, tacos, porridge, whatever then just say so! This whole condiment apartheid thing you got going is frankly ridiculous.

I used to think it was kinda gross, but used it occasionally. And Then I Moved to Belgium and discovered a new world.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/04/20/starsector-0-8a-release/

Slightly more important than what mayo goes with (fries yes, tacos no).

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 20, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a birthday present for Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Great, now the day is going to take even longer to end.