Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

That went right over my head this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Took me a while to get it. Quite honestly I only remember that date because it's a mate's birthday. It's also Hitler's birthday but whatever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Took me a while to get it. Quite honestly I only remember that date because it's a mate's birthday. It's also Hitler's birthday but whatever.
it's Columbine Day :toot:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The "Not a Hero" DLC for RE7 is being delayed.

Supposedly they want to make it match the quality of the main game more. No word exactly on when we can expect Not a Hero or DLC 4 now, though Not a Hero will remain free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0It01eYQqBM

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 25, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well that is disappointing but also the least shocking news of 2017.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Umbrella corps is on sale for $7.50 for ps+ members for what sounds like a bad game

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh no I'll have to not be not a hero for another month or two!

Was playing RE6 Mercs No Mercy online for the first time in weeks a few nights ago and despite being horribly rusty and using a seemingly endless supply of herbs/F.Aid Sprays (because I was endlessly running into crowds to kick things in the face) it was the random who kept loving up and dying to stupid poo poo.

I wonder what my Win/Loss ratio is in co-op No Mercy and how many times it's been my fault.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Been having lots of fun with Nightmare DLC. I just got 500k points and the Albert-01R, which seems like it is basically cheat mode since the ammo and gun are cheap and kill with one headshot. I'm guessing this was their way of making getting to a million points less painful, since it should be way easier to accumulate extra scrap now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Len posted:

Umbrella corps is on sale for $7.50 for ps+ members for what sounds like a bad game

Umbrella Corps is like if Capcom got a group of game developers straight out of college to make a game. It isn't just bad - it is very bad though - it is quite possibly the most baffling game I've ever seen a big name publisher attach their name to. I swear someone high up at Capcom or a big shareholder or something had a kid taking programming in school and get Capcom to give them some money.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
RE7 sold 3.5 million, and is slightly below expectations for Capcom.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pureauthor posted:

That's like Alien: Isolation selling 3 million in a rather short time and Sega deciding that it was a complete waste of time. This was right after Colonial Marines*. They dissolved the A:I team despite them making an AI that actively learns how the player plays, and adjusts accordingly.

* I tried to find an amazing video that was release either at launch, or right before launch, that showed how horrifically bad this game was. Turns out finding a video to a 5 year old game is really hard.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Were they expecting 4 or 5 million or something? 3 and change million is pretty drat good considering people were burned on 6 a few years ago.

And to be honest I was lucky to be able to play it on my laptop cause the lord knows I can't afford a PS4 right now and I was only able to buy it when steam had a sale.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Pureauthor posted:

AAA game development is insane if that's below expectations considering it was widely met with critical acclaim and had a pretty good buzz amongst players?

in what universe is RE7 anything other than a success?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The universe where Capcom is bleeding money and rapidly running out of properties they haven't ruined somehow.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The AAA development model doesn't seem very sustainable if sales like that are considered a disappointment.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

The AAA development model doesn't seem very sustainable if sales like that are considered a disappointment.
It's absolutely unsustainable. Everyone wants to make CoD money and throws cash down the drain on advertising to try to achieve it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
C'mon guys, "slightly below expectations" doesn't translate to "massive failure and dissapointment".

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

C'mon guys, "slightly below expectations" doesn't translate to "massive failure and dissapointment".

Shareholders would say otherwise. If it doesn't shatter records sell stock and/or fire people

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

It does to Capcom.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
But have Capcom actually said that, or is it just goons going nuts over an off-hand description.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The relevant text:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e170427b.html

a. Resident Evil 7 biohazard (for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows PC), which features the ability to play the full game in the included optional PSVR Mode for PS4, gave an overall solid performance, while Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) (for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems), is off to a promising start following its March 2017 release. posted:

Original expectations were 4 million.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

"Overall solid" is not business code for "slightly below expectations".

poptart_fairy posted:

But have Capcom actually said that, or is it just goons going nuts over an off-hand description.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth noting that RE5 and RE6 moved 7.2 and 6.8 million units respectively making them Capcom's two highest selling games ever. However that's lifetime and RE7 has plenty of time to reach that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Raxivace posted:

The "Not a Hero" DLC for RE7 is being delayed.

Supposedly they want to make it match the quality of the main game more. No word exactly on when we can expect Not a Hero or DLC 4 now, though Not a Hero will remain free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0It01eYQqBM

they look so sad in this video, i just want to hug them and tell them it's okay.

from what i understand they outsourced the chris part and it was meant to be included with the game at launch (hence why its free) as a ada like mode but the outsourced crew really hosed it up and the main re7 devs decided to fix it themselves.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"Overall solid" is not business code for "slightly below expectations".

Yeah, but the 'slightly below expectations' part comes from the fact that it did not actually meet their expectations for units sold over the fiscal year.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, but the 'slightly below expectations' part comes from the fact that it did not actually meet their expectations for units sold over the fiscal year.

I don't see anything showing forecasts or expectations for this fiscal year, only for the next.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No the stated expectations comes from an earlier report.

(Also Dead Rising had an expectation of 2 million which, er...)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dead Rising 3 did 1.25 million as a launch title for the Bone so I see where their thoughts for 4 came from.

Problem is a combination of crowded marketplace, poor timing, and negative word of mouth. It still has yet to launch on PS4 and major digital retailers so there is hope for it yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

It seems like the modest budget and how much the RE name has been dragged through the mud for the last decade would have tempered their expectations but I guess not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It seems like the modest budget and how much the RE name has been dragged through the mud for the last decade would have tempered their expectations but I guess not.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are literally Capcom's best selling games ever. That has a pretty big impact on expectations regardless of any negative word of mouth.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RE7 came out so soon after Christmas, like I'd have expected it to be a March rush kind of game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are literally Capcom's best selling games ever. That has a pretty big impact on expectations regardless of any negative word of mouth.

Yeah, that's what I mean though. Regardless of how much of the thread feels about RE6, it did some major damage to the brand name. It may have sold well but that's pretty much where reviewers and RE's mainstream fans tapped out. People bought it in good faith and almost everyone thought it sucked. RE has been relatively niche ever since. I doubt it will ever be the blockbuster series it once was again due to a laundry list of reasons and it seemed like capcom was aware of that...but I guess not? Although 4 million isn't an insanely unreasonable number I guess.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 28, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

AAA game development is insane if that's below expectations considering it was widely met with critical acclaim and had a pretty good buzz amongst players?

in what universe is RE7 anything other than a success?

The larger issue is that Capcom doesn't have anything else to fall back on. All of their brands have deteriorated and the company has been paralyzed by a fear of failure. They're a company the size of Take2 and expected to grow by their investors. More importantly, they failed to hit the sales target they set themselves. Imagine if Take2 said the next game in their blockbuster GTA brand would be a more modestly budgeted single-player game and the game went onto underperform their already conservative sales expectations. You typically want your biggest IP to grow entry over entry and better monetize your playerbase.

A publisher like SEGA culled their lineup of console games since they have a successful mobile and PC business to fall back on. They can afford to be a boutique console publisher since their core business is successful. Capcom has experienced contraction all across the board except for pachinko.

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth noting that RE5 and RE6 moved 7.2 and 6.8 million units respectively making them Capcom's two highest selling games ever. However that's lifetime and RE7 has plenty of time to reach that.

RE5 and RE6 were co-op zombie shooters which contributed to their longterm sales. Even though many people believe the game damaged the reputation of the series, the XB1/PS4 remaster of Resident Evil 6 sold 1 million over the past year. A lot of mainstream consumers see Resident Evil as a dumb co-op action game.

Zombie co-op is a very lucrative genre. Dead Island had a 71 metacritic score and sold over five millions units over three years. Dying Light sold that much in one year. People like dumb action games about punching zombies and boulders in the face with your friends.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I know more than one person who thought RE5 and RE6 kinda sucked but enjoyed them anyway, bought RE7, and got pissed after 2 hours when "I don't even have the machine gun yet..."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean though. Regardless of how much of the thread feels about RE6, it did some major damage to the brand name. It may have sold well but that's pretty much where reviewers and RE's mainstream fans tapped out. People bought it in good faith and almost everyone thought it sucked. RE has been relatively niche ever since. I doubt it will ever be the blockbuster series it once was again due to a laundry list of reasons and it seemed like capcom was aware of that...but I guess not? Although 4 million isn't an insanely unreasonable number I guess.

I don't think I've seen anything that actually confirms that people 'checked out' after RE6. The remaster sold well and the franchise as a whole has done about as well as it ever has. RE4-5-6 were actually a big boost up for the franchise and if RE7 does 'poorly' it could be as easily read as "people don't want the old-school horror RE again" or "People want online co-op games again" as much as anything. It could even be the awkward marketing worked against it with how much people were convinced it wouldn't have fighting or whatever for a long time.

Even beyond that, even if these numbers are never change and it never meets Capcom's expectations, that still would make it one of the more successful games this year in terms of units sold. It not selling as well as RE5/6 doesn't make it a disaster that no longer counts as a big game because those are the best-selling RE games period. I'm not sure what you mean about it being relatively niche since then since the only RE games since 6 were Rev2 and Umbrella Corps and I think judging a franchise's popularity by Umbrella Corps would be a bit silly, while IIRC Rev 2 outsold Rev 1 despite the weird chapter release.

Edit: It also doesn't make it good in that, yes, it selling more poorly than its predecessors is a bad thing, but there are a lot of reasons it could be. Not in the least it's worth remembering that the old-school horror RE titles were seeing heavily diminishing returns prior to RE4. It was a sales reboot for the franchise. It's entirely possible there is just less of an audience for classic RE than there is for Beefy Punchman Kicking Zombie rear end and RE7's lesser sales are because people do not want that style of game in the same numbers anymore.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 28, 2017

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Doesn't help that I found the demo to be complete dogshit but really enjoyed the actual game for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. I'm probably not the only one who had that experience, or at least the first half of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Doesn't help that I found the demo to be complete dogshit but really enjoyed the actual game for reasons I can't quite put my finger on

The demos really play up the non-RE elements while the full game goes all-in on basically being old-school RE in first person, I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly wouldn't have been sold on it from the demo if they hadn't released vr support for it and added the ability to find some items and open a few doors. The Quality of the VR turned it into my most anticipated game instantly though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly wouldn't have been sold on it from the demo if they hadn't released vr support for it and added the ability to find some items and open a few doors. The Quality of the VR turned it into my most anticipated game instantly though.

VR is interesting to bring up because the game was heavily sold on VR and it's entirely possible that could have been a net negative for it considering the adoption rate and general issues with VR. If someone thinks a game is designed for VR but hasn't adopted it, they might not think it's a priority to buy even if it doesn't require VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

veni veni veni posted:

Between RE6 and RE7, you had the REmake remaster (which sold extremely well for a rerelease of a 14-year-old GameCube game, especially via online storefronts), Umbrella Corps (which seems to have been some kind of failed experiment), and the RE0 remaster (which sold about as well as the REmake remaster did). You also had two films in the live-action franchise, both of which were financially successful.

RE7 came out in January in a year where very few games have been succeeding to expectations, received rave reviews, became a killer app for virtual reality, and was a genuine sales success. It only underperformed due to what turned out to be unrealistic projections, and even then, it almost fulfilled them. Given the length of the project and the cost of developing on new hardware, I can see where they might have wanted to do a little better than this, but RE7 is still a success.

Every time you bring up the market, veni veni veni, you seem to be mistaking your personal feelings for actual data. You really need to start doing even casual research before you form an opinion, because generally, you're pretty far opposite what's actually happening.