Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If I had to make a complete guess, I would imagine the shutdown function would be like a furnace not having ore, and the partially consumed fuel would sit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I finally got logistic/construction bot production going(skipping to tier 2 as someone here recommended). Try to guess the point at which I gave up on optimal space usage.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mr. Powers posted:

If I had to make a complete guess, I would imagine the shutdown function would be like a furnace not having ore, and the partially consumed fuel would sit there.

Yep. The reactor throttles down to 0 then pauses.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Can you flick the reactor on and off rapidly, or does it need to cool down before you can turn it back on?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
How do I stop getting owned by my trains?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Build some automated crossings with circuit networks

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

ultrabindu posted:

This sounds sarcastic but isn't - I've made a habit of zooming the screen out as far as I can and looking both ways before crossing rails.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Ignoranus posted:

This sounds sarcastic but isn't - I've made a habit of zooming the screen out as far as I can and looking both ways before crossing rails.

That is some poo poo I teach my three year old.

But to be fair, it would be nice if a future update included elevated (or subterranean) rails for making safe crossing...

... for more belts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Full Transport Tycoon style railroads

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ignoranus posted:

https://youtu.be/Naix-f6KSIg

Why don't they look?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ultrabindu posted:

M_Gargantua posted:

When the Player approaches either gate, the gate outputs signal G which causes the signal on the entry to the crossing to close.

When a train approaches the crossing, the entrance signal turns yellow, and when it is yellow or red its output signal blocks the gates, preventing the player from running in while a train is coming.

I have the signal output the red color signal for both non-green states which tie into the completely cosmetic lights.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ultrabindu posted:

With enough shielding, you can survive.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
If you're getting killed by trains, you weren't wearing enough shields in the first place. I often deliberately step in front of speeding trains when I want to catch a ride

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

This is coded exactly backwards. When entering the train area, the gates should shut behind the player and trap them next to the train.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dirk the Average posted:

This is coded exactly backwards. When entering the train area, the gates should shut behind the player and trap them next to the train.

I save those for multiplayer games

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The correct way to ensure your trains are safe is to lay more hazard concrete.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

ShadowHawk posted:

The correct way to ensure your trains are safe is to lay more hazard concrete.

Oh, the trains are perfectly safe. It's the squishy bit that keeps getting in their way that's having trouble.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ignoranus posted:

Oh, the trains are perfectly safe. It's the squishy bit that keeps getting in their way that's having trouble.

http://www.theonion.com/video/autistic-reporter-train-thankfully-unharmed-in-cra-20098

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If there's a particular bit of track that goes through a regularly used bit of path, just wire up some logic gates so the gates are locked when a train is approaching, and the train is forced to stop if you're walking across the tracks.

If you're getting killed by trains out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, you really ought to check better.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've always wondered, what the hell is up with your avatar?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

ultrabindu posted:

Honk! Mod

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

vOv posted:

Ronald McDonald is reading Factorio tips on his iPad while daydreaming about a grotesquely sexualized Grimace cosplay, obviously.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

You will still get owned by trains with this mod, but it makes it much more hilarious.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

vOv posted:

They accidentally posted a link to a latex fetish site instead of something Factorio related.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
.15 out for playing/testing on Tuesday!. Great pics as well.

By the way, I'm horrible at this game, never made it past green science but I still love it!!!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I am so fuckin' stoked!

Also having automated rocket launching and having it contribute to the infinite tech is brilliant, I can't wait to have my life destroyed by this dumb game again.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Automated rockets are already a thing, but making it part of a research loop really is brilliant. Patch looks amazing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also nuclear warheads are coming, which I guess was obvious since they had uranium planned, but I can't wait to nuke some drat biters off of my planet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

Also nuclear warheads are coming, which I guess was obvious since they had uranium planned, but I can't wait to nuke some drat biters off of my planet.

this is my fav change, finally there's a better alternative to turret creep.

vvv: user/av/post combo right there lmao

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 21, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yesssss

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I'll just have to empty my bucket list in the weekend, on tuesday I'm never going outside again.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Make sure you click through the imgur album they link, it's loving insane.

Something not mentioned in the blog post:

"The refineries at the bottom left are utilizing a new 0.15 recipe - coal liquefication to get more oil for the price of coal."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GenericOverusedName posted:

"The refineries at the bottom left are utilizing a new 0.15 recipe - coal liquefication to get more oil for the price of coal."

That's awesome, a good endgame use for coal if you've switched off of steam engines.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
One of the devs made a mod for that already, not surprised that it wandered into the game proper. Also, that base is basically as inefficient with regards to performance as possible, and it's still running at 48 UPS. So people with utterly gigantic factories should see performance improvements, it looks like.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Truga posted:

this is my fav change, finally there's a better alternative to turret creep.

Don't forget, there was a FFF from a few months back that went over some combat rebalancing coming along as well that gives a significant boost to the tools we have in 0.14.

quote:

So far, the changelog looks like this. There are many numbers that were tweaked and are not included in this list.

• Player regains health at a much higher rate, but only after being out of combat for 10 seconds.
  • Discharge defense equipment pushes back, stuns and damages nearby enemies when activated by the remote.
  • Decreased the size of Discharge defense equipment from 3x3 to 2x2.
  • Greatly increased the damage of Personal Laser Defense Equipment.
  • Flamthrower gun has a minimum range of 3.
  • The flames created on ground from the flamethrower significantly increase in duration and damage when more fuel is added to them by firing at the same spot.
  • Increased fire resistance of biter bases.
  • Increased the health of player non-combat buildings.
  • Increased player health from 100 to 250.
  • Increased collected amount and effectiveness of Raw Fish.
  • Increased the damage, range and health of biters worms.
  • Decreased health and resistance of Behemoth biters.
  • Doubled the stack size of all ammos.
  • Tweaked the cost and crafting time of some ammos.
  • Increased the damage of most player ammos. Greatly increased the damage and fire rate of Rockets and Cannon Shells.
  • Increased the collision box of Cannon Shells.
  • Increased Tank health and resistances.
  • Added research for Tank Cannon Shells damage and shooting speed.
  • Tweaked research bonuses and added more end-game research for military upgrades.
  • Greatly increased the damage of Mines. They also stun nearby enemies when they explode.
  • Biters stop following player after 10 sec of not giving or receiving damage if the player is more than 50 tiles away.
  • Other minor changes.
As usual, these changes are not final and will probably change to some degree as we playtest more.
There are still many things to be done. We are always talking about more end-game weapons, so don't worry, the combat in the late-game will be even more worry-free.

There is also one thing that we always talked about trying to remove: turret-creep (destroying biters base building turrets closer and closer). This method is very powerful and usually doesn't cost anything. So far I believe that we did not find a simple, fun and fair solution. Ideas include: large power-up times(annoying and also weakens base defense); simply not allowing turrets to be build near biter bases (makes the player feel cheated); underground anti-turret worms (sugar-coated version of the previous idea). With the combat changes that were done I believe there is almost always an option to destroy bases without being forced to use turret-creep.In the end maybe your ingenuity and effort of building all those electric poles should be rewarded; If the player wants to do it that way, why not let him? Let us know what you think.

Also, have you tried using Destroyer Capsules? I haven't played a single factory long enough to get to hives full of green biters, but I did play long enough to have them around and I could casually walk through a huge hive with a few MK2 shields and 50 drones (10 Capsules, each makes 5 drones) as if it wasn't there. Even knocking that down to a more reasonable, mid-game to early late-game 10-20 drones plus a flame thrower is more than enough for me to ignore the hassle of dragging power lines from hive to hive for laser turrets or filling bullet turrets with ammo, in addition to the hassle of managing the inventory requirements either one of those needs.

Onean fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 21, 2017

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

GenericOverusedName posted:

Make sure you click through the imgur album they link, it's loving insane.

That guy's factory is incredible, it literally looks like the title screen image. I can barely make sense of it

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Zerg creep seems like an effective way to stop turret creep. It also would be a good visual indicator as to where biters are, and could grow along paths they want to take towards you. Would be a pretty interesting thing to add to the game, and it seems like it should be doable as something that gets built onto the floor.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dirk the Average posted:

Zerg creep seems like an effective way to stop turret creep. It also would be a good visual indicator as to where biters are, and could grow along paths they want to take towards you. Would be a pretty interesting thing to add to the game, and it seems like it should be doable as something that gets built onto the floor.

They're almost certainly not going to do that. From the quote in my post above:

quote:

simply not allowing turrets to be build near biter bases (makes the player feel cheated); underground anti-turret worms (sugar-coated version of the previous idea)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Onean posted:

Don't forget, there was a FFF from a few months back that went over some combat rebalancing coming along as well that gives a significant boost to the tools we have in 0.14.

Also, have you tried using Destroyer Capsules? I haven't played a single factory long enough to get to hives full of green biters, but I did play long enough to have them around and I could casually walk through a huge hive with a few MK2 shields and 50 drones (10 Capsules, each makes 5 drones) as if it wasn't there. Even knocking that down to a more reasonable, mid-game to early late-game 10-20 drones plus a flame thrower is more than enough for me to ignore the hassle of dragging power lines from hive to hive for laser turrets or filling bullet turrets with ammo, in addition to the hassle of managing the inventory requirements either one of those needs.

Uh, yeah, I play with autofill, so the gun turrets just tear through nests. I bring 50 turrets and a lot of ammo and to the "place while walking towards nest" thing and it gets erased and the bots repair poo poo up and then I mark them for deconstruction and move to the next nest.

Autofill really took the slog out of turret creep :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Would make for a cool mod.

I am excited for space science. I was half-way through making a mod for that myself, so I'm glad the devs have the same idea! With this I might finally be inspired to keep working on a factory after the rocket launches.