Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

After five years of commuting to work on foot I feel that most people are aggressive assholes without a shred of decency. No one ever responds with surprise, or dismay that they almost hit and possibly killed me due to their ignorance/impatience/aggression. It's always anger. Always.

It's the anonymous status that does it. If you encountered these same people on a sidewalk they wouldn't be anywhere near as brave as they are in a vehicle.

Some grandma blasted across a chunk of road with a 50 mph speed limit to try and squeeze into a narrow gap in the traffic this morning. Required me to drop anchors pretty hard and as I leaned on the horn waiting for her fossilized rear end to get out of my way she stares at me with this vacant "WTF DID I DO???" expression. So I flipped her off for good measure and as I worked my way past I could see her jaw start flapping as she started to get angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
My one entertaining rager was the lady driving in the lane next to me one nice Sunday afternoon. I'm cruising along at the speed limit, she's cruising along about ten under, I don't give a poo poo she's in the other lane.

*She* gives a poo poo, apparently, because after I pass her (staying in my lane because why not - 3 out of the five lanes of the surface street are open), there she goes at 10+ over, gets five or six car lengths ahead, and drops back to her previous speed.

Repeat about four times.

The last time she pulls that, welp, lane ahead of her actually had traffic backed up from the light. My lane had a lot less, and so I just casually rolled past and caught up to the stopped cars.

That's when I notice some odd movement in my rear-view mirror. Focus on it, and she's throwing a total loving tantrum in her car - yelling (not that I can hear her), banging on her steering wheel, and double-fisting birds up at me. Amusing as hell for the time I have left at the light, and I was incredibly tempted to stick my head out the window, turn back, smile and wave...

Still have no idea WTF was going on there. She stayed in that lane, didn't try to catch up to me, I'd never seen her before or since, to the best of my knowledge.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The lamest people we share the road with are people who rage at and honk at learner drivers (in cars with big signs that tells you that they are learners) just because they take too long or make some minor mistake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair, at least half the time I see a driving school car doing some really loving dumb poo poo, there's only the one person in it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

To be fair, at least half the time I see a driving school car doing some really loving dumb poo poo, there's only the one person in it.

There's this one driving school near me, I can't remember the name the second I look away from their vehicles but it's "Feminine Full Name Driving School" and the cars are purple with lighter lettering. There's one guy who's always on my commute in one of their cars who never signals, changes lanes erratically, always has a phone to his ear. Just him in the car.

I always think "Oh I'm so calling them about this when I get home/to work" but then forget until I see him again.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

PCOS Bill posted:

There's this one driving school near me, I can't remember the name the second I look away from their vehicles but it's "Feminine Full Name Driving School" and the cars are purple with lighter lettering. There's one guy who's always on my commute in one of their cars who never signals, changes lanes erratically, always has a phone to his ear. Just him in the car.

I always think "Oh I'm so calling them about this when I get home/to work" but then forget until I see him again.

Those people might not always be actual driving instructors. I went to school with some kids whose family ran one of the driving schools in town and all they had to do was put lettering on their cars and install one of those passenger brake pedals and their cars were eligible for all kinds of tax discounts. It made them cheap enough that their daughter had a brand new Mustang GT as her first car, but that car was for the driving school, sure. Then why did I have to take my lessons in Taurus wagon?

If you're representing a business like that then you'd think the people driving them would at least be mindful of that even if they weren't an actual instructor. But hey, people are assholes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bigbillystyle posted:

Those people might not always be actual driving instructors. I went to school with some kids whose family ran one of the driving schools in town and all they had to do was put lettering on their cars and install one of those passenger brake pedals and their cars were eligible for all kinds of tax discounts.

That might explain the 2015 WRX sedan that I see a driving school sign on. Writing off mileage and depreciation on the lease?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That might explain the 2015 WRX sedan that I see a driving school sign on. Writing off mileage and depreciation on the lease?

Could explain it. I don't know the exact details of it all but the family wasn't super rich, they had 3 kids and the whole family drove brand new cars. None of which were actually used for the driving school though I believe the Taurus wagon I got to experience was a former family truckster turned workhorse.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wolrah posted:

This is the motorcyclist who probably won't be passing on a blind corner again any time soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJUeZ6GTsg

Car aftermath: http://imgur.com/a/chqzK

Apparently the rider managed to avoid any serious injuries.

Blind corner AND a double yellow, what a loving tool. Maybe next time he'll do the world a favor and forget his helmet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqucc7gl_c

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

He would've been fine if that 8" bar wasn't installed to warn about the 12' 4" bridge

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ONFwXRe7w

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I feel like that was a grand theft auto in progress? The hood was unlatched and a headlight was out before hitting the bump.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Looks more like the run part of a hit and run to me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elsa posted:

He would've been fine if that 8" bar wasn't installed to warn about the 12' 4" bridge

Maybe at the front of the bridge you can see it's 12' 4" but the road is on a slope so there is a point under the bridge where the clearance is 11' 8" so that's where they put the bar.

http://11foot8.com

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GutBomb posted:

Maybe at the front of the bridge you can see it's 12' 4" but the road is on a slope so there is a point under the bridge where the clearance is 11' 8" so that's where they put the bar.

http://11foot8.com

403 error.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Taking "Drive it like you stole it" literally, there.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRLJ9v_mlU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.facebook.com/bestofmmafitness/videos/vb.493855040804113/623982827791333/?type=2&theater

and

http://www.wcti12.com/news/man-pleads-guilty-in-road-rage-case-confrontation-caught-on-camera_20160526062808972/16067140

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The end of that chase seemed a bit excessive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Berkeley County deputy placed on leave after video shows cruiser colliding with motorcycle during chase

quote:

A Berkeley County deputy has been placed on leave after colliding with a speeding motorcycle during a chase Wednesday night, resulting in a wreck that killed the rider.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That little bit at the end resulted in the death of the guy on the motorcycle.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...21562bf846.html

Have to say that the surprising part of that video to me was the cop blowing through red lights in pursuit at 100+ mph without slowing. At some point the pursuit becomes more dangerous than the guy being pursued, and I think this particular pursuit crossed that line with the high-speed red light running, given that this guy was being chased for speeding, not for a violent felony.

The actual collision does look fairly un-intentional, but the officer was getting pretty drat close to the bike several times prior to the point where the contact was made.

Edit: ^^^ drat you for adding the link and text while I was posting. :argh:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

11' 8" little brother in Westwood, MA is even more brutal. Even the cars crashing there have me head scratching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

B4Ctom1 posted:

11' 8" little brother in Westwood, MA is even more brutal. Even the cars crashing there have me head scratching

There's a number of train crossings like that, they were built when everyone was using horse buggies so they could be built a lot more narrow. Then cars come along and get bigger and bigger so nothing quite fits anymore.

Train companies are all "you want us to shut that line down for how long to widen the underpass? haha gently caress off."

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Good.

That copper killed the motorcyclist because of the coppers dangerous driving. Running from the police should not lead to your death at the hands of the police. If you are not skilled enough to be involved in a high speed chase then you should not chase people at high speed.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Controversial opinion, but maybe the cyclist was driving even more dangerously, and had he not played with the cop by speeding up and slowing down, not to mention his loving up a gear change, hed still be alive

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

High speed chases should be outlawed in general. If you absolutely cannot allow someone to escape, chase in a helicopter or get a shotgun shell with a gps transmitter in it or something. We carry supercomputers in our pockets these days, technology should be able to come up with something better than playing destruction derby on public roads.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Controversial opinion, but maybe the cyclist was driving even more dangerously, and had he not played with the cop by speeding up and slowing down, not to mention his loving up a gear change, hed still be alive
You misspelled "stupid".

As others have said - we live in an age of amazing technology. There was no need to endanger everyone by pursuing him, and there was certainly no need to murder him by ramming his motorcycle.

Let's be clear - this was murder. A rider dying is a perfectly predictable outcome of ramming a motorcycle with a car or truck. There is no situation I can imagine where someone (especially a police officer) could not realize this. Any civilian who had done the same would be charged with murder and this officer should be as well.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 22, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

High speed chases should be outlawed in general. If you absolutely cannot allow someone to escape, chase in a helicopter or get a shotgun shell with a gps transmitter in it or something. We carry supercomputers in our pockets these days, technology should be able to come up with something better than playing destruction derby on public roads.

I saw a documentary around 15 years ago where they shot a thing at the escaping car that shut down all the electronics and made it crash into a pole. the second time they tried it though the guy was able to pull it out before it shut down his car, but the first car was a nissan and the second was a mitsubishi, so that might have had something to do with it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I remember that. I wonder if the technology died because it wasn't feasible, or because law enforcement in general has decided it's simpler to just kill people. (Or, outside chance it's still being researched and we just haven't heard about it.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I remember that. I wonder if the technology died because it wasn't feasible, or because law enforcement in general has decided it's simpler to just kill people. (Or, outside chance it's still being researched and we just haven't heard about it.)

It's probably the second thing, because in the latest documentaries by the same group, the cops have miniguns and rocket launchers.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

conversely, gently caress cops, gently caress motorcycle riders, gently caress you, burn in nuclear fire

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ragtime All The Time posted:

conversely, gently caress cops, gently caress motorcycle riders, gently caress you, burn in nuclear fire
I like the cut of your jib.

Edit: Kim Jong Trump is working on it, don't worry

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Powershift posted:

I saw a documentary around 15 years ago where they shot a thing at the escaping car that shut down all the electronics and made it crash into a pole. the second time they tried it though the guy was able to pull it out before it shut down his car, but the first car was a nissan and the second was a mitsubishi, so that might have had something to do with it.

I think it was because the first time in the doc the car gets hit in the engine and the second time it's in like a rear quarter panel.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBlaPsuHQw&t=60s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think it was because the first time in the doc the car gets hit in the engine and the second time it's in like a rear quarter panel.

Yeah, i would imagine your average lancer chassis doesn't have enough metal in it to conduct the electricity from the rear of the body to the ECU. Then again, that particular car was wired so hot that whoever was watching it would know when you aren't wearing your seatbelt, so those modifications might have affected the efficacy of the device.

High speed chases with stolen trucks seems to be a regular thing here these days. We don't even need a helicopter, the city is in a valley, what we need is a big watch tower up on the hill with some dude with binoculars following them. No cop wants to brag about spending his day using binoculars though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Krakkles posted:

You misspelled "stupid".

As others have said - we live in an age of amazing technology. There was no need to endanger everyone by pursuing him, and there was certainly no need to murder him by ramming his motorcycle.

Let's be clear - this was murder. A rider dying is a perfectly predictable outcome of ramming a motorcycle with a car or truck. There is no situation I can imagine where someone (especially a police officer) could not realize this. Any civilian who had done the same would be charged with murder and this officer should be as well.

Again, to be fair, the only reason contact was made was because the motorcyclist let the car get too close and then failed to accelerate as fast as he had been and/or did it quickly enough to not allow the cop time enough to brake. i'll have to rewatch

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Again, to be fair, the only reason contact was made was because the motorcyclist let the car get too close and then failed to accelerate as fast as he had been and/or did it quickly enough to not allow the cop time enough to brake. i'll have to rewatch
I'd buy that excuse the first time the bike did it. After that, the cop was willingly aggressing when the bike continued doing it - he observed a pattern, and kept getting closer than needed. Basically, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1XG--YBLE

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

A lot of areas are shifting to no high speed chases. Do we know what the guy did, or what he was wanted for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

BitBasher posted:

A lot of areas are shifting to no high speed chases. Do we know what the guy did, or what he was wanted for?

Doing 66 in a 45 past the cop, according to one of the articles that got posted.