Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

By void do you mean the map boundary? What did you expect to be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
Apparently the fact that there is, by definition, precisely loving nothing in the void isn't enough to stop people spending time there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

By void do you mean the map boundary? What did you expect to be there?

Hand tailored uber death monsters because just a simple lack of map geometry ruins my IMMERSION :byodood: Now an infinite supply of reapers who exist only to kill me? That's the realistic survival experience I crave :downs:

Somewhere, this is basically the argument put forth without much in the way of hyperbole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The edge of the shelf is creepy enough as is, and I don't see why you need to stop people going into it, there's literally nothing there. You could entirely realistically just make it go below crush depth for your sub, as the abyssal plain does, and be done with it.

I don't really see what introducing more chances for the crappy spawn code to dump a reaper on your head benefits anything. And I genuinely do like that you just hit the edge of the shelf and it just... drops. There is nothing below you but endless black, no matter how deep you go. That's a really neat thing made all the cooler by the fact that it's actually real, real life does that. Putting reapers in it spoils an actually neat experience that can be had in the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2017

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The problem is that the majority of users, who probably agree with you don't post on their forums or whatever.

It's the same reason most games get ruined by the autistic screeching of the minority. Normal folks don't make this poo poo their life.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Section Z posted:

Hand tailored uber death monsters because just a simple lack of map geometry ruins my IMMERSION :byodood: Now an infinite supply of reapers who exist only to kill me? That's the realistic survival experience I crave :downs:

Somewhere, this is basically the argument put forth without much in the way of hyperbole.

Is that really why we're not getting some absurdly huge maw rising out of the darkness to swallow and kill you? Possibly implying that the entire play area sits on the back of some unfathomably enormous organism that preys on the creatures that stray from it?

'Cause uhhh that would be my vote. I'm giving myself shivers just thinking about it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That would have actually been cool because that would be a reward rather than a punishment.

But probably we arent getting it because it would be too much work.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Too Shy Guy posted:

Is that really why we're not getting some absurdly huge maw rising out of the darkness to swallow and kill you? Possibly implying that the entire play area sits on the back of some unfathomably enormous organism that preys on the creatures that stray from it?

'Cause uhhh that would be my vote. I'm giving myself shivers just thinking about it.

Giant anglerfish, imo. Just a single glowing light bobbing in the abyss, and then teeth and you're waking up in the escape pod.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Solomonic posted:

Giant anglerfish, imo. Just a single glowing light bobbing in the abyss, and then teeth and you're waking up in the escape pod.

Yes, good.

Really it's not so much that they're making the abyss a horrible place to be, as much as they're doing it in a really boring way. The only way to make it more boring than a bunch of reapers is if it was just a big hurt box that damaged you while you were out there.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Giant glass aquarium wall, submarines should make an amusing plunk noise when they bounce off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ardeem posted:

Giant glass aquarium wall, submarines should make an amusing plunk noise when they bounce off.

And after bouncing off, a gargantuan, shadowy, cyclopean eye peers through the glass at you.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The current implementation of a sheer cliff drop into the dark abyss is creepy as gently caress and owns.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I was all for a giant creature from the underverse that insta-kills. I imagine they will institute some lore thing where giant death lasers fry you for breaking quarantine. It's just way to much hassle for anything else. One thing that is fun is hopping in the mech with the highest pressure regulator you can find and jump into the void. It feels like the end of The Abyss. Except what's at the bottom is even more anticlimactic. This game would be so amazing if there was a section like that. This huge deep chasm where the story climax takes place.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Fired up Subnautica because I had a hankering to splash in the big pool again, it had eaten my last save so started anew, and wouldn't you know it water lockers are super bugged and just eat anything you put in them like floating trashcans leading to another dimension. When did they add this bug in they used to actually hold things before?

Anyway no big deal I will start a new new campaign, it is fine, go through intro again, leap out of escape pod, turn around and notice escape pod is 150m from me..200...250...oh I see a fish nudged it again and now the pod is bouncing off the aurora. Good, cool.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Can confirm the first time I entered the abyss I was thoroughly creeped out. I thought I was just transitioning to another biome, but as the descent went on longer I became extremely tense in anticipation of some great danger.

You coulda thrown a Peeper at me and I probably would have poo poo myself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You all should play SOMA.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Digirat posted:

You all should play SOMA.

Heh heh, yup.

Just plugged this back in for the first time in a while. I like the new UI improvements. But...they made gold an ingredient for computer chips? I'm...not sure how to think of that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Heh heh, yup.

Just plugged this back in for the first time in a while. I like the new UI improvements. But...they made gold an ingredient for computer chips? I'm...not sure how to think of that.

They listened to everyone saying we've got nowhere near enough silver during progression and piles of gold with nothing to use it on. Just in the wrong direction :v:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Me on purchase: "Oh cool, this game is Vive compatible! I'll have to try that tonight!"

Me twenty minutes later: "I think I'll keep my poo inside, thanks."

Also, I accidentally lost 4 hours of progress when one of those Leviathans near the Aurora ripped my Seamoth apart and I loaded a previous save. Gone are my seamoth, battery charger and power cell charger. Now I gotta search for the loving fragments again.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Falken posted:

Me on purchase: "Oh cool, this game is Vive compatible! I'll have to try that tonight!"

Me twenty minutes later: "I think I'll keep my poo inside, thanks."

I would love to play Alien Isolation or Resident Evil 7 in VR. Even on my monitor I am making GBS threads my pants. Especially when a crazy hillbilly jumps at you or the Alien grabs you from a vent. I cannot imagine the level of pants making GBS threads you get when you play Subnautica VR. The sound design in the game is pretty outstanding and immersive already. Must be a blast/life scarring in VR.

It reminds me of that indie game Capsule. http://store.steampowered.com/app/303940/ I got it on sale for about a buck. It's an incredibly simple but decent game. What really sold it to me was the description:

quote:

In a strange and hostile place, something has gone very, very wrong. You wake up inside a small capsule, trapped, with no view of the outside world. The only way to survive is to use the radar screen and the capsule's simple controls to try and find more oxygen and more fuel... and to find out what happened.

Capsule is a short game, approximately 2 hours for most players. Capsule is not a game for everyone; if you are claustrophobic, misophonic, and/or have anxiety or triggers related to asphyxiation and/or darkness Capsule may not be a good game for you.

It's the oldest trick in the book, but being a little claustrophobic. I could not resist the challenge. "Are you too much of a pussy to play this game? find out for a dollar" Truthfully though, if you play it like they suggest, with the lights off and headphones on. It gets a little hairy if you let your immersion get the better of you. It's like folks are saying about the void. As much as you know it's a developer deadzone. You still have that feeling you are going to bump into something. Longtime thread readers, might remember my story about making GBS threads my pants while swimming off a boat in Turkey, but to the intense agoraphobia/claustrophobic from swimming into a featureless blue void with no frame of reference. I would dig swimming around the safe shallows in VR, but that's it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

They listened to everyone saying we've got nowhere near enough silver during progression and piles of gold with nothing to use it on. Just in the wrong direction :v:

You don't use silver for the chips anymore, just wiring kits and the stillsuit, so it seems like a fairly effective solution to me. You now have more reason to keep looking for shale and basalt in the deeper biomes rather than sticking to the kelp forests.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Did they do a stupid update? I think they did a stupid update.

For me table corals no longer give me table coral samples, instead they give me fungal coral samples and I can't craft computer chips at the moment. :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

You don't use silver for the chips anymore, just wiring kits and the stillsuit, so it seems like a fairly effective solution to me. You now have more reason to keep looking for shale and basalt in the deeper biomes rather than sticking to the kelp forests.

That's encouraging if true about the materials changes (Wiki still says the usual double silver etc for chips). Though "More reason to explore sandshark infested waters before you have even built a repulsion gun or seamoth" not so much :v:

If you HAVE to look in other biomes for shale and basalt, does that mean they are removing gold from sandstone? Or are you just saying about how finite resources are means the kelp forest runs dry before you have any reasonable amount of silver and gold to work with?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 25, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

That's encouraging if true about the materials changes (Wiki still says the usual double silver etc for chips). Though "More reason to explore sandshark infested waters before you have even built a repulsion gun or seamoth" not so much :v:

If you HAVE to look in other biomes for shale and basalt, does that mean they are removing gold from sandstone? Or are you just saying about how finite resources are means the kelp forest runs dry before you have any reasonable amount of silver and gold to work with?

I've seen footage where the chip formula is quartz/gold/2x table coral sample.

Gold is still in sandstone, and you can still get it in the kelp zone, but you can also get it wherever you happen to be instead of going back the the kelp zone to hunt for sandstone. You can find plenty of the right sort of outcroppings in places like the grand reef without any predators, and in the mushroom forest (sandsharks exist but are rare) and mountain zone (there's a reaper but he's not that close to the island, and plenty of resources on the island) without much risk.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lonos Oboe posted:

I would love to play Alien Isolation or Resident Evil 7 in VR.

A:I is really really fun in VR.

I am looking forward to VR subnautica but im not playing again until its done

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

I've seen footage where the chip formula is quartz/gold/2x table coral sample.

Gold is still in sandstone, and you can still get it in the kelp zone, but you can also get it wherever you happen to be instead of going back the the kelp zone to hunt for sandstone. You can find plenty of the right sort of outcroppings in places like the grand reef without any predators, and in the mushroom forest (sandsharks exist but are rare) and mountain zone (there's a reaper but he's not that close to the island, and plenty of resources on the island) without much risk.

Between all the :saddowns: over tinfoil Cyclops with new features such as "Drive slower", this sort of change finally creeping into the game at least is encouraging. Though it only being footage so far means I'll hold off hope for when it's in live without any curveballs added.

I should be universally hopefully about buffs, not have my default exceptions of the industry be "So what are they going to take away from us as payment for a QoL improvement?" :sigh: But it seems to be a growing trend in games for Devs to preemptively nerf something or buff an Enemy/Hazard to cause a zero sum difference rather than risk people saying it made the game easier. Instead of just letting it play out on it's own to see how it works... Even when making things easier was the entire point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Cyclops just got even more useless
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/silent-running/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jesus how much work did they put into all that

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's okay the Cyclops has a shield :downs:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Welp guess this is where I switch to creative mode or whatever.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

:same:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:same:

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
All this update has done is make me stop using the Cyclops and carry twelve extra powercells so I can walk my bitch rear end to and from the depths. Shame, since that Cyclops Vehicle Repair Upgrade thing looked like it would be nice, and the Cyclops sonar looked cool too. Also, the UI looks okay but is a lot less useful now that there's no numbers on things that aren't Oxygen.

There was some cool stuff I like about this update, though. The new resource models to replace poo poo looking ones, new eggs (if one is inclined to dodge Sea Dragon fireballs to have a pet Seadragon), new caves, new icons, instant-blueprint-boxes, and (some) good icon redesigns.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Jesus how much work did they put into all that

Double down, until you hit crush depth.

So many terrible defenses of/for this poo poo talked up as :airquote: "features".

"You can launch decoys!... One of them. But it's okay, you can upgrade to up to five! :downs:" my slight shred of optimism is that the 'manufacturing' of your sub decoys doesn't involve leaving the helm to use a fabricator and then shove it into some slot in the front/back of the ship, and that it just auto fabricates or some other goddamned common sense quality of life instead of rear end backwards 'inconvenience = hardcore'

...It's going to make you leave the helm to fabricate them individually by hand, isn't it.

EDIT: But seriously, gently caress "We worked so hard on it though, so we have to put it in the game anyways :saddowns:" implementations of this kind of poo poo. You can't even "Just play creative" because creative disables the plot. Playerbase has a huge hate boner for your mobile inventory locker, which is all it ever really was compared to the Seamoth when you get down to it. A mod that increases inventory space would accomplish everything the Cyclops does short of a fabricator.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 28, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

A:I is really really fun in VR.

Did they ever officially support it? I know it worked decently at launch, but I thought they quietly dropped any idea of that afterwards.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Looks like they added an option to have objects fade in when they load. While it doesn't fix the problem with loading assets and optimization, I'm interested to see if it improves the overall feeling.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 28, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh thank you VR jesus, they finally did a pass and fixed all the outstanding VR bugs, I don't even care about the colossus now

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Y'all are still overreacting. I took my cyclops down to the Lost River through the narrow Blood Kelp trench. The were sections where I scrapped against a wall for like 30 seconds trying to get through and each time there was only 1 small tear that needed to be fixed afterwards.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Wow, yeah, I stopped playing about 6-7 months ago when I heard that all this was coming with the Cyclops damage and more aggressive creatures. Because each and every time they add stuff like this, its seemingly designed to take an already-existing part of the game more difficult and complicated (and less fun) for its own sake. The game already has enough running around to collect things, why does it have to be more difficult and less fun? I guess- silly me, I thought that they were going to add on top of what was already existing as a foundation. I always really liked the "super-high-tech human with future technology survival" aspect of it all. Combined with the non-lethal nature of the game's weaponry, it made it feel less like a traditional survival game, and one where the challenge was found in other places than the standard "baby all your fragile constructions" gameplay. But keeping that non-lethal theme while making the game more punishing just sounds like making the game more difficult for its own sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You pretty much summed up my own feelings and reasons for quitting perfectly there.