Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Regy Rusty posted:

He's the guy driving the city ruins around blaring loud obvious music

People weren't answering clearly because it's hard to see how you could've missed him

I went straight for the A ending and ended up missing him on my first playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I went straight for the A ending and ended up missing him on my first playthrough.

Same. I expected him to be more of a character in the actual plot instead of just a merchant with a few sidequests.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The most annoying thing about 9s wasn't just that his weapons are weak, it's that his hacking on big enemies is ridiculously strong - which meant the best strategy is to play a cute little mini game soooo many times taking you out of the flow of combat you hate it by the end

Also I bought the soundtrack and just realized something that disappointed me a bit

In Nier's soundtrack the songs would go between all the versions in a single track very organically and it felt great, like they were actual songs

Most of the Automata soundtrack has different versions as separate tracks so the song gets repetitive by the end and they don't do that cool blend together

Still an amazing soundtrack

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I would pay a lot of money for a soundtrack that's just a dump of everything from the jukebox. Everything, all versions of every song. Oh well, someone will probably record it from in-game audio and put it up on youtube (if they already haven't).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

So not to get all :goonsay: but has anyone talked about the thematic similarities between this and Undertale? Well, I apologize if I'm just repeating what others have been saying but I just find it interesting.

Major spoilers for this game and Undertale to follow:

Both games kind of deal with the idea that the best thing for the characters is for you to not play the game. Undertale is very explicit about this and is even disappointed in you if you come back after you get the true ending but I think this game also hints at similar ideas. Like in the intro 2B talks about the endless cycle of life and death and that is a scene you're almost guaranteed to play at least a few times, repeating the exact same thing again. While the game in general is about endless, self perpetuating cycles of misery and death, this opening establishes that the game itself and you playing it is another cycle that keeps repeating. You keep playing and everyone becomes more miserable as you go on. You die and come back over and over again, repeating the same things and even when you don't repeat the same things, the game has you repeat them anyways with further repetitions to get everything as you go back to previous chapters. Then, in the end, everything is reset back to the beginning with a chance things will go differently. You are also given the option to delete your save. While the game doesn't directly link the two things (you can after all get ending E and not delete your save) I would argue they go together because when you don't delete your save the characters are destined to keep repeating the same cycle over and over every time you play. However, while not guaranteed, deleting your save is likely you putting an end to the cycle and you not playing anymore gives the characters the best chance they have.

tl;dr: both this and Undertale strongly indicate that the only way these character will ever be happy is if you never play the game again

That's how I see it anyways :kiddo:

I heavily felt a similarity but couldn't really articulate why, yeah absolutely.

Also Undertale has the Ending E type option but in that game it's the worst ending, not the best

(Spoilers for Automata and Undertale)

On the worst run of Undertale where you kill absolutely everything the world is just empty by the end. Your character gets possessed by the original owner of its body, he thanks you for awakening him then kills you, the player (this is an RPG where the "proper" route is sort of endlessly about you making the world you're in better and you don't kill a single enemy so it's implied you couldn't possibly be that much of an rear end in a top hat unless it was someone else influencing you)

If you load up the game again it's a black screen forever. I think you actually have to reinstall the game.

I love what both of them to do kind of upend a lot of the storytelling games employ, and they both make good use of the medium to tell stories that wouldn't be as impactful if they weren't interactive.

Also: the cyclical nature of The story in Automata absolutely took some ideas from Dark Souls

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

(Spoilers for Undertale)

On the worst run of Undertale where you kill absolutely everything the world is just empty by the end. Your character gets possessed by the original owner of its body, he thanks you for awakening him then kills you, the player (this is an RPG where the "proper" route is sort of endlessly about you making the world you're in better and you don't kill a single enemy so it's implied you couldn't possibly be that much of an rear end in a top hat unless it was someone else influencing you)

I'd taken this the opposite way - (Undertale spoilers; nothing relating to NieR) When you play the "proper" route of Undertale you describe, the game eventually tells you the main character wasn't actually the player all along - it's Frisk.

Then you discover that the influence that the main character is supposedly under in the Genocide route is the player - the name you put in for yourself at the very beginning. To boot, they're the one actually treating Undertale like a typical video game, where enemies exist to be killed and it's okay to be cruel just because you're capable of it. The game isn't playable again afterwards (at least not at first) because you're done with it and ready to go kill your way through some other world.

Even if you just play neutrally, you still get a talking-to about any killing you've done. If anything, Undertale implies that assholery comes naturally unless you consciously overcome it.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 22, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Oxxidation posted:

Same. I expected him to be more of a character in the actual plot instead of just a merchant with a few sidequests.
He's a huge character in the main plot when you get the clips of the alien and machine wars. You just don't really see him in action during this game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Automata is actually pretty light on meta stuff and I'm surprised because it's really popular these days. Even Ending E has an in-universe explanation

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Taro Yoko, despite being a guy who loves to break the fourth wall and gently caress with the player, is still probably the best writer in regards to giving everything an in-universe explanation and not disrupting the cohesion between narrative and gameplay. Everyone could learn a lot from him.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Also I bought the soundtrack and just realized something that disappointed me a bit

In Nier's soundtrack the songs would go between all the versions in a single track very organically and it felt great, like they were actual songs

Most of the Automata soundtrack has different versions as separate tracks so the song gets repetitive by the end and they don't do that cool blend together

Still an amazing soundtrack

Wait...what?

The only tracks that do that are Wretched Weaponry and City Ruins, which have separate tracks for the quiet and medium/dynamic versions. All the other songs that are variable - Amusement Park, Forest Kingdom, Memories of Dust, even incidental music like Blissful Death, War & War, and Mourning - all cycle through each different version. I'm not sure what you're talking about; are there other songs besides those first two you're thinking of? Because now I think I'm crazy.

I mean, I guess I am crazy, because I adored flipping between normal combat and hacking every five seconds, especially when the music kept pace, but we can ignore that for now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Squidtentacle posted:

Wait...what?

The only tracks that do that are Wretched Weaponry and City Ruins, which have separate tracks for the quiet and medium/dynamic versions. All the other songs that are variable - Amusement Park, Forest Kingdom, Memories of Dust, even incidental music like Blissful Death, War & War, and Mourning - all cycle through each different version. I'm not sure what you're talking about; are there other songs besides those first two you're thinking of? Because now I think I'm crazy.

I mean, I guess I am crazy, because I adored flipping between normal combat and hacking every five seconds, especially when the music kept pace, but we can ignore that for now.

They mean the actual soundtrack you can buy and listen to, not the music as it appears ingame. It has the three versions of each song separated into their own tracks, but no combined ones.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

CJacobs posted:

They mean the actual soundtrack you can buy and listen to. It has the three versions of each song separated into their own tracks, but no combined ones.

No it doesn't, that's what I'm talking about. Did we buy different soundtracks or something?

This is the one I got. VGMDB doesn't show anything like that, either. Spoiler warning for people who are concerned about soundtrack title spoilers, I guess.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 22, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Squidtentacle posted:

No it doesn't, that's what I'm talking about. Did we buy different soundtracks or something?

Hmm. Not sure then. The soundtrack rips I've seen on youtube have the three song versions separated but I'm not sure where they were obtained from.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Squidtentacle posted:

This is the one I got. Spoiler warning for people who are concerned about soundtrack title spoilers, I guess.

Lemme Give it another listen, a lot of songs go immediately into Dynamic in a way the first didn't from what I remember.

Also no version of the BECOME AS GODS part of Birth of a Wish :v:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Hmm. Not sure then. The soundtrack rips I've seen on youtube have the three song versions separated but I'm not sure where they were obtained from.

From recording directly from the game, most likely playing next to the jukebox. Those were out almost immediately after the game came out in Japan; it's pretty normal these days.

It's actually kind of a pain because those flood YouTube for ages, and then when the actual soundtrack comes out, you can't find it among the piles of iffy rips.

Lemme Give it another listen, a lot of songs go immediately into Dynamic in a way the first didn't from what I remember.

Also no version of the BECOME AS GODS part of Birth of a Wish :v:

That is the unfortunate part; I was hoping for the different versions of Birth of a Wish and Possessed by a Disease, but I'd have preferred to get the ones without the voices if we could only get one version anyway.

But yeah, the versions mix really well. Memories of Dust uses the quiet version and transitions into the Medium version all the way through to the 2-minute mark, at which point it goes into Dynamic, and once there, it switches between vocals and no vocals. Amusement Park is the Medium/Vocals version until 1:50, at which point it transitions into a unique Quiet version that's just piano/music box interspersed with vocals, and it's not until 3:10 or so that the dynamic version kicks in. Forest Kingdom transitions directly from Quiet to Dynamic after a couple of minutes, then back to Quiet, then finishes off with Medium.

Belzifer on YouTube has the actual soundtrack, if you wanted to locate the official versions instead of the rips to see what I mean.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 22, 2017

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I guess I hosed up the wandering couple side quest. I didn't have 50k to give them so I refused. Quest is no longer active. Can I try again in the other routes?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

yea

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yes. You'll need to find the part for them again though. I liked that side quest. It's one of the more Taro-esque.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CJacobs posted:

They mean the actual soundtrack you can buy and listen to, not the music as it appears ingame. It has the three versions of each song separated into their own tracks, but no combined ones.

here's a playlist of unreleased Nier:A songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whmjnjg0n70

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Look Sir Droids posted:

I guess I hosed up the wandering couple side quest. I didn't have 50k to give them so I refused. Quest is no longer active. Can I try again in the other routes?

my favorite bit was paying them 50k, moving onto the next area where they spawned, and hitting the level requirement for those gold machines to spawn in

they spawned in such a spot that they would aggro me if I attempted to continue the quest line

so my decision was to either lose my 50k on Route A, or fight ridiculously high level dudes for a half hour while chugging health restores just so I would be able to complete the quest

in retrospect, it was probably best just to do option A

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

CJacobs posted:

Don't trust the YouTube game rips. The quiet, medium, and dynamic versions in almost all the songs are blended into one track. City Ruins has two different versions and Wretched Machines does too, but that's about it.

The CD version of Memories of Dust is so drat good.

The lack of an English version of Emil's Shop is the real tragedy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RanKizama posted:

The lack of an English version of Emil's Shop is the real tragedy.

I gotcha covered.

https://clyp.it/ffftkfys

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Something I just put together (route C/D spoilers):

It seemed unreasonable to me that the androids would go to so much trouble putting together the conspiracy to create and then destroy an orbital military base just to give other androids a fake purpose.

But we do see it happen in game. 9S discovers the conspiracy, but it doesn't break him because he still has 2B. It isn't until he loses both that he starts to break down, and he breaks down hard.

A2, meanwhile, lost her purpose a long time ago and became a mindless killing machine. But when she inherits 2B's purpose of protecting 9S, she very quickly becomes much more human.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Noper Q posted:

It seemed unreasonable to me that the androids would go to so much trouble putting together the conspiracy to create and then destroy an orbital military base just to give other androids a fake purpose.

But we do see it happen in game. 9S discovers the conspiracy, but it doesn't break him because he still has 2B. It isn't until he loses both that he starts to break down, and he breaks down hard.

A2, meanwhile, lost her purpose a long time ago and became a mindless killing machine. But when she inherits 2B's purpose of protecting 9S, she very quickly becomes much more human.

The androids were created to save and protect humanity, so they break down when they don't have something to protect. That's why they went through all the trouble of faking the moon humans, with that motivating factor all the androids would be saved from breaking down in despair.

The machines are the opposite, they were created to fight an enemy, so they need a perpetual enemy or they break down.

But for both sides we see that the status quo isn't the only possibility. The machines did find other possibilities in their offshoots, Pascal's village was totally pacifist and the Forest King was isolationist. The amusement park machines were aesthetes. They could function just fine if there were no more androids. And we see that the androids don't need the moon human lie, 2B and 9S form a personal bond that works as a replacement for the vague promise of remnants of humanity. You can find meaning in life without resorting to endless militarism.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Noper Q posted:

It's even worse when compounded with the fact that it's not just knowledge, but they're programmed to care about protecting humans under all circumstances, and you can see in the last fight how much it tears 9S up to know that humans don't exist but he's still got that nagging drive to cherish and protect them. On top of that, there's the safeguard you find out with Anemone, where they're apparently incapable of killing themselves unless it's approved by outside authority for the purpose of the mission.

Imagine that on a wide scale, with every single android in existence going loving nuts because their lives have no inherent meaning and yet they don't even have the choice of the machines who started killing themselves in droves, like the Wise Machines or the Lord of the Valley sidequest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

It's even worse when compounded with the fact that it's not just knowledge, but they're programmed to care about protecting humans under all circumstances, and you can see in the last fight how much it tears 9S up to know that humans don't exist but he's still got that nagging drive to cherish and protect them. On top of that, there's the safeguard you find out with Anemone, where they're apparently incapable of killing themselves unless it's approved by outside authority for the purpose of the mission.

Imagine that on a wide scale, with every single android in existence going loving nuts because their lives have no inherent meaning and yet they don't even have the choice of the machines who started killing themselves in droves, like the Wise Machines or the Lord of the Valley sidequest.

Well, we know that the androids find out, from Jackass's report, but we also know that Jackass is coping.

Admittedly, she's mainly coping by plotting the murder of everyone behind the conspiracy, but, you know, everyone's got their own methods.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does YoRHa mean anything or is it just meant to make you think of Yonah?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Calaveron posted:

YoHRa means that if you wanted the awesome YoRHa logo hoodie ya hosed now I'm so pissed I missed it by like a day!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Personally I thought everyone having white hair was supposed to be some sort of Yonah reference, but Taro said YorHa has a meaning and it's a secret

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

The game doesn't reveal what YoRHa stands for but it's been a thing all the way back to the Drakengard 3 soundtrack (some of the tracks are credited to YoRHa, which at the time was a group Yoko Taro assembled to compose/perform some of the music). So whatever it is, it's been an idea in Yoko Taro's head for a while.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Personally I thought everyone having white hair was supposed to be some sort of Yonah reference, but Taro said YorHa has a meaning and it's a secret

I feel some DLC might clarify that sometime but who knows!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

It's formed from all the first letters of the first names of all of his mistresses.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's formed from all the first letters of the first names of all of his mistresses.

But there's no letter for my name in YoRHa!

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I wish Platinum would do an Okami 2, but I guess capcom has the rights and they won't let anyone touch it :X

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I find 9s after the fight in the flooded city? I found the yorha units so I have him on my map but I have no idea how to get there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

How do I find 9s after the fight in the flooded city? I found the yorha units so I have him on my map but I have no idea how to get there.

He's located underground. You should return to the cavern you were in before (where you found the alien spaceship) and look around some more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Found him thanks.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Yoko's Organization [of] Really Hot Androids

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 23, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Squidtentacle posted:

Spoiler warning for people who are concerned about soundtrack title spoilers, I guess.

I like the title of the Bunker theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That become as gods song is so dope.